2-Ingredient Homemade Kitchen Cabinet Gunk Remover

kitchen gunk remover

A couple of months ago I did a post on cleaning greasy kitchen oil splatters using……OIL! (See Fighting Oil With Oil).  As contradictory and crazy as that sounds, it really works!

So when I came across this cleaning idea from Melissa at No. 2 Pencil for cleaning kitchen “gunk” with vegetable oil and baking soda…it made perfect sense to me and I was eager to try it on my “gunky” kitchen cabinets!

kitchen gunk remover

My cabinets were LONG OVERDUE for a good cleaning. I keep daydreaming about replacing them all…so I tend to ignore them in the meantime. But the other day, upon close inspection, I discovered a considerable layer of grime that had been accumulating on them that I hadn’t even noticed! Especially near the handles where all our grimy hands touch them over and over.

It was time to mix up a batch of this stuff and give it a go!

kitchen gunk remover

This is all there is to it:

kitchen gunk remover

Kitchen Cabinet Gunk Remover

1 part vegetable oil
2 parts baking soda

Mix together with a spoon and go crazy!  I like to use my fingers when I use baking soda (ie. Miracle Cleaner) because I feel like I can really work the fine grains of baking soda into the surface best that way. But you can certainly use a cloth or a sponge if you prefer to keep your hands mess-free.

kitchen gunk remover

However, in the “nooks and cranny’s” I used an old toothbrush.

kitchen gunk remover

Here is a picture of one grimy door handle area done….and one NOT done. Pretty impressive huh!?

kitchen gunk remover

It was pretty amazing/disgusting to see all the dirt that came off with the gunk remover.

Baking soda really IS an amazing substance! I could wax poetic about the stuff…but I will refrain. Bottom line – it works great as an abrasive cleaner that won’t harm your surfaces. (Even the surface of your skin! See Wednesday’s post!)

kitchen gunk remover

Looking GOOD!

Now I only have approximately 20 more doors to clean! I’d better get busy!

Share on Facebook1,643Tweet about this on Twitter47Pin on Pinterest306,534Google+20

Comments

1. luanna says

Jillie, thank you for all your many helpful posts. They are MUCH APPRECIATED!! Its admirable the way you show such love in being helpful to the world like this. Rock on!

2. Christine says

This is great! I have gunk to get rid of, too.
    And it’s a good way to use that GMO veggie oil that I bought before I knew about GMOs~~
    Thanks again for a great idea. :))))

3. Vicki says

I will definitely have to try this! Also, an area in my kitchen/dining room that gets really disgusting are the window frames and ledges. It’s worth a shot to see if the oil and baking soda mixture will clean the grunge there as well. I know what I’ll be doing today…

4. Rupali says

Yesterday night I went to my Pantry for getting some light snack and amazed to see that my containers were real grimy (I have open shelves in my pantry). I got a panic attack and decide to clean it at that time only (I do get crazy sometimes) I cleaned with a solution of half cup vinegar + 4 Tb sp Baking soda and dish washing liq in warm water. All the gunk just dissolved in that solution without any need of elbow grease. Credit goes to you for enforcing the power of BP and Vinegar so many time in ur blog. Now my kitchen gleams and I am thinking few more places to use this concoction. Happy cleaning :)

Baking soda is amazing. I always at least 10 boxes because I use it for everything – from cleaning to washing my hair to eliminating smells.

6. Cynthia Elliott says

Finally. I have tried everything to get that gunk off of my cabinets and all I did was make them sticky. Although, the vinegar and Dawn concoction worked pretty good. Now if someone can tell me how to get the baked on stuff off of my gas stove burners……..

7. Mayra says

Hi Jillee,

Definitely going to try this!! Question: will it work on tiles (backsplash) and refridgerator?? The tiles behind my stove as well as my fridge (being next to my stove) gets hit with the gunky stuff as well and i would love to try it on it if i can. :)

Thanks!