How To Make Potato Chips In Your Microwave…In Honor of National Potato Chip Day!

microwave potato chips

Today is National Potato Chip Day!  So in honor of this prestigious holiday…today’s post is re-introducing you all to the miracle of….

Microwave Potato Chips!

But first, I think a little potato chip trivia is in order!

• In 1853 a customer at the Saratoga Springs Resort in New York sent his fried potatoes back to the kitchen, complaining they were too thick. George Crum, the chef, a bit irritated, sliced up a batch of potatoes, fried them to a crisp and then salted them. The guest loved them and the “Saratoga chip” became a big hit.
  • Potato chips are the #1 snack food in America! We eat 1.2 billion pounds ($6 billion in product) a year!
  • It takes 1,000 pounds of potatoes to make 350 pounds of potato chips.
  • The most popular potato chips flavors in the US are sour cream and onion and barbecue.
  • Overseas, potato chips are often called “crisps”.

Of course most of us purchase our potato chips in bags…but making your own is a fun, healthy, and delicious alternative…especially if it’s as easy as this!

But what is REALLY amazing is how CRISPY and CRUNCHY they are! Out of the microwave! Still scratching my head on that one.

microwave potato chips        microwave potato chips

How To Make Microwave Potato Chips:

• Slice 1 to 2 potatoes, depending on size, VERY thin! (I used small, red potatoes and was able to fit two of them on a plate)
  • Put the slices in a small bowl and drizzle with some olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
  • Sprinkle on some salt to taste (this is where you could get really creative and try all sorts of different seasonings!)

microwave potato chips

• Arrange potato slices in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate.
  • Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes (timing will vary depending on the power of the microwave and the thickness of the slices).

microwave potato chips

• Turn the slices over (careful…they’re HOT!)
  • Microwave again for another 2-3 minutes or until they start to brown and get crispy on the edges.
  • Remove from microwave and allow to cool completely. (They will continue to crisp up as they cool).
  • Repeat process for as many potatoes as you like!

microwave potato chips

Since I cut my potato chips with a knife…they varied slightly in thickness, which I think added to their rustic appeal. Using a mandolin would ensure thinner, more uniform slices.

microwave potato chips

The first time I made these I ate the whole bowl of potato chips by myself in one sitting. So beware…they are addicting. :-)  I didn’t even have any Onion Dip to go with them…which is actually my favorite way to eat chips.

Here’s a quick and easy recipe from Good, Cheap, Eats:

sour cream and onion dip

Sour Cream Onion Dip

Sour Cream Onion Dip

Ingredients

• 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 Tablespoon onion flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Better Than Bouillion beef base (you could probably use dry beef bouillion, crumbled fine)

Instructions

1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Chill for one hour.

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Chill for one hour.

So what are you waiting for?? Get out there and start snacking people! It’s the one day of the year it’s OK to eat potato chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :-)

Facebook204Twitter12Pinterest2811Google+3

Comments

1. Gloria says

I have made these in the microwave before. Pampered Chef sells a product to cook chips WITHOUT oil in the micro. They are really good. My husband even said they were good. I LOVE the sweet potatoe chips, too.

2. Sue says

I got something from Bed Bath and Beyond that is call TOPCHIPS and it makes a huge batch at one time. The trays layer on top of each other. Love these. No oil needed. Mix and match your seasonings!

3. Terri says

It’s interesting that National Potato Chip Day is the same day as Pi(e) Day. Pi Day is a celebration of the mathematical constant, pi, and is celebrated on March 14 (3.14).

So I guess in celebration of these two things I should have chips and pie for dinner tonight. Yum!

4. cty says

Ding, ding, ding; Folks we have another winner here!
    These would go great with yesterday’s BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps post.
    I have no mandolin (sigh) –but I have used a potato peeler for super thin chips :)

5. meenakshi says

Jillee, I’d made these chips when you first posted the recipe & my hubby LOVES them ! It was very timely too, because he’d stopped having potato chips for many months due to their high salt & fat content. But with your recipe, I can make them with minimal salt & olive oil ! We remember & thank you Every time I make a plate.

I re-registered, yet am not receiving the posts. Been a week now & after re-registering I got One post & then that discontinued as well ;-)
    I’ll try again…

6. Chris says

Meenakshi, I have been having trouble getting the emails too. Then when I try to get the post something comes up from dns.com Comodo that blocks the post. Does anyone know what this is? Extremely frustrating. I tried unsubscribing then resubscribing and that didn’t help either. When I think things are straightened out it happens again. Love getting the daily emails from Jillee.

7. meenakshi says

Hi Chris
    Yes, its so frustrating ! When I subscribe, it tells me that I’m already registered & they have my email address. When I click on subscribe again, I do not get the confirmation email in my box ! I’ve re-typed my address & am still waiting for the confirmation email to complete formalities.

I wonder whether there’s some glitch between Yahoo!Mail (yahoo.com) & some of these services – my newsletters/mailers from favecrafts & it’s sister blogs have gone AWOL too !

Life seems so quiet without the daily dose ;-))

8. Julie says

I had my son who is a highly function autistic teen make these and they were absolutely delicious!!!! Thank you for this incredible recipe!!!! Plus he had fun making them too. :-)

9. Jen-Jen says

Love, love, love potatoes. Hate the price of potato chips, so we never buy them. I had a little problem with them sticking to the microwave-safe plate, so I ended up rubbing the plate down with butter, and that seems to do the trick to avoid sticking. I couldn’t wait the hour for the onion dip to be in the fridge. I love that stuff. I haven’t had onion dip in probably 20 years, and now I can make my own without having to worry about all those pesky additives and preservatives !!!!!

10. Theresa Morgan says

Made these for Hubby and he LOVED them….
    I make them about 3 times a week now…….I use my oval serving tray for the MW. I can cook more @ a time…… Thank You ,Jilliee……………….from DH.

11. Sarah says

OMG THESE WERE SO FRICKING GOOD!
    I WAS LIKE “SCREW BUYING CHIPS FROM THE STORE-I CAN MAKE THEM AT HOME AND THEY WILL BE AMAZING” SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!
    MY WHOLE FAMILY LOVED THEM! THANKS JILLEE!