Welcome to DAY SEVEN of Best Of Jillee Week!
Today is a BIG DAY! The Best of Jillee Week is coming to a close with my #1 most popular post of all time; we are announcing a fantastic WASHER & DRYER giveaway courtesy of Lowe’s (more details at the end of the post); AND it’s One Good Thing By Jillee’s 2nd birthday today!:-)
When we decided to do Best Of Jillee Week, I had no idea that it would culminate on my “blogversary”, but I think it’s fitting since we have highlighted some of the biggest posts during the past 2 years that have helped put One Good Thing on the map! My heartfelt thanks to all of you who have been with me since the beginning….have joined me along the way….or who are brand new! I am so appreciative of all of you who make up this great community that I am so very proud to be a part of.
So Happy Birthday to ALL OF US! Here’s to another great year ahead!
Let’s find out who won yesterday’s giveaway of the fourth and final $50 Lowe’s Giftcard. The winner is…………………
Now it’s time for the #1 most popular post of all time on One Good Thing By Jillee…and it has to do with….SURPRISE….laundry! :-) We sure are a culture obsessed with clean clothes aren’t we? I know *I* am. We are also a community of people who appreciate value and doing things for ourselves! I love that about us. :-)
I hope you will enjoy the last “Best Of Jillee” post of the week, the one that has been viewed by more people than any other post I’ve done since One Good Thing By Jillee was created 2 years ago TODAY!
This was originally posted on April 17, 2012, and has had (as of today) 2,482,941+ Pageviews; 1 Million+ Pins on Pinterest; and 3,700+ Facebook Likes!
Clean your Washer? Sounds kind of unnecessary doesn’t it? Yes, it SOUNDS that way…but when you think about all the dirt and grime that cycles through your washer on a day-to-day basis…it actually makes perfect sense! Washers need washing too!
Back on February 20th of this year, I posted about how to clean your front-loader washer at the request of my niece (even though I don’t own a front-loader). She was complaining about a funky smell and didn’t know what to do about it. That led me on an odyssey of sorts where I learned more than I ever thought there was to know about front-loader washing machines. It was definitely an eye-opening experience. So if you have a FRONT-LOADER, you can find out how to clean it here: How To Clean Your Washing Machine.
For the rest of us…I promised back then I would do a subsequent post about how to clean top-loaders, but haven’t lived up to my promise! Yet. Crystal gave me a gentle reminder via email the other day, saying she was patiently waiting the aforementioned promised post. So this one’s for you Crystal! And me….and the rest of us “low-efficiency” clothes washer owners. I personally think the HE (high efficiency) washers have some significant kinks to be worked out before I will consider buying one. But that’s just my .02 cents.
One of the reasons I’ve been dragging my feet about this post is because my washer is actually almost new. I bought it “used” 6 months ago from someone who had it in storage and had only used it a handful of times. So I figured it would be kind of silly to “clean” it at this point. hahaha. Silly is the word allright. Silly ME. Upon close inspection I realized the washer could definitely use a cleaning…especially after I started “looking under the hood”. OY!
So let’s get to it, shall we?
As usual, there are a myriad of “How To Clean Your Washer” articles out there…each with their own spin, but after reading about a thousand of them, this is the simple method I went with:
- Fill the washer with HOT water. Add 1 quart of chlorine bleach – no detergent – and let the machine agitate for a minute, then let it sit for one hour.
- After one hour, allow the washer to run through its longest wash and spin cycle.
- Immediately fill the washer with HOT water again and add 1 quart distilled white vinegar. Let agitate for a minute, and again, let it sit for one hour.
Using the bleach and vinegar will clean away bacteria, soap scum and mineral deposits from the wash basket and hoses. This is especially important if you live in a hard water area and should be done every three months. Every washer should be cleaned at least twice per year.
- While it is soaking, dip a scrubber sponge in the vinegar water and detail all the nooks and crannies of your washer, including the knobs, the lid and the exterior.
I used my microfiber cloths to wipe down and then buff the exterior. Look at that SHINE! :-)
- If your machine has built-in dispensers, clean those too. I was fairly shocked at how grimy mine were! The fabric softener dispenser was all slimy feeling…and the bleach dispenser was just plain icky! If your dispensers aren’t removable, warm 1 cup of white vinegar in the microwave or in a small saucepan. Pour it into the dispenser and allow it to sit for a few minutes to loosen any build up.
- After an hour, run the longest wash and spin cycle again.
Your trusty washing machine should now be shiny clean
and ready for more abuse. :-)
Now for the giveaway you’ve all been patiently waiting for all week long! Our friends at Lowe’s are giving away a………..
- Whirlpool Cabrio 3.6 cu ft High- Efficiency Top-Load Washer (White) AND a
- Whirlpool Cabrio 7.4 cu ft Electric Dryer (White)
………….to one lucky reader!
CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED!!!!
THE WINNER IS…………………..
And thank you to our great sponsor Lowe’s Home Improvement!
Here’s How To Enter:
Leave a comment below telling us what ONE GOOD THING you would like to see in our THIRD year! :-)
For EXTRA ENTRIES:
1. “Follow” One Good Thing By Jillee on Twitter and leave a comment saying you did so.
2. “Follow” Lowe’s Home Improvement on Twitter and leave a comment saying you did so.
3. Tweet the following statement about this giveaway: ” Enter to win a new Washer and Dryer courtesy of @JillsGoodThings and @Lowes! Enter here: http://goo.gl/PPNjg ”
4. “Follow” One Good Thing By Jillee on Pinterest and leave a comment saying you did so.
5. “Follow” Lowe’s Home Improvement on Pinterest and leave a comment saying you did so.
6. “Follow” One Good Thing By Jillee @JillsGoodThings on Instagram and leave a comment saying you did so.
7. “Follow” Lowe’s @LowesHomeImprovement on Instagram and leave a comment saying you did so.
8. Wish One Good Thing By Jillee a “Happy 2nd Birthday!” on Facebook! (Just kidding! But you can if you want to!) ;-)
The winner will be chosen and notified on Monday, July 1st!!!