Make Your Own Reusable Peppermint Kitchen Wipes

peppermint kitchen wipes

In case you haven’t noticed, I really LOVE making my own homemade cleaning products. ;-) It’s just so comforting to know EXACTLY what is in the products I’m spreading around my home, and I get a thrill knowing how much time and money I’m saving as well!

The Environmental Protection Agency cites artificial fragrances in cleaning products as an indoor irritant and pollutant. A single fragrance can include as many as 600 petrochemicals—all within the word “fragrance” on the label.

The more I learn about, and experiment with, natural cleaning products (such as baking soda, castile soap, vinegar, etc.) the more I am convinced there really is no need to buy any of the expensive brand names that line the shelves of the cleaning aisle at your grocery store. The good old fashioned stuff our grandmothers and great grandmothers used is EFFECTIVE! Period.

Pairing these natural cleaners with essential oils only enhances their cleaning value and leaves behind a pleasant, natural scent. It’s not just an advertising gimmick that many commercial products contain citrus oils such as lemon or lime—they are natural degreasers and have antimicrobial properties.

These simple-to-make kitchen wipes are the perfect example of a great all-natural alternative cleaning product!  #1) They are REUSABLE, #2) they’re RECYCLED, and #3) they’re completely CHEMICAL-FREE.

peppermint kitchen wipes

Take an old t-shirt (or PJ’s, or whatever) that is bound for the donation bin, and cut it up into “rag-size” cloths.

peppermint kitchen wipes

Pour 1 cup warm water, 1/8 cup (or 1 ounce) liquid castile soap, and 5 – 10 drops of your favorite essential oil into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.

peppermint kitchen wipes

With its refreshing minty scent and powerful antibacterial properties, peppermint essential oil is a perfect complement to many homemade cleaning products.

peppermint kitchen wipes 6

Place the rags into the jar with the liquid. (I think I ended up with about 8 or 10 rags.)

peppermint kitchen wipes

Put the top on the jar (or whatever lidded container you prefer) and turn upside down a few times until all the rags are soaked.

After being used, the cloths can be washed and returned to the jar for REuse over and over again.

peppermint kitchen wipes

Now whenever you have a messy spill or just want to freshen up the countertops after you’ve finished kitchen clean-up for the day…pull one out and enjoy knowing you’re saving time and money because you now have one less cleaning product on your shopping list.

peppermint kitchen wipes

You can always get 10% off your essential oils at Spark Naturals by using the coupon code JILLEE.

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook2,916Tweet about this on Twitter89Pin on Pinterest20,395Google+38

Comments

1. Leslie says

Another good one, Jillee. Once again, the timing is perfect, as I’m trying to reduce the use of paper products, plus I love peppermint anything. Hmm, may even throw in a little eucalyptus or tea tree EO for even more bacteria/mildew killing. I will try this today. Thanks!

• kbellatti says

One word of caution if you will use tea tree oil: it’s toxic to cats.

Be sure to know which essential oil is toxic to any pets before use. :)

• stephanie says

I have used tea tree oil for years, and not had a problem with my pets. infact I have made salves with tea tree oil in it with both cats and dogs. a long with using peppermint as a cleaning-I also mix in vinegar, I love it. I have experimented with all kinds of stuff to make. one of my favorite is the body butter I make. its so great! I have used it now for many years and now I cannot stand store bought lotions. it makes my skin feel well like it cannot breath. using chemicals now bother’s me to breath. my husband hates the smell of vinegar, and I think it smells great.

• zensibilia says

Tea tree oil is not recommended for any pet, but especially not for cats. Spend a few moments researching it. Your pets may not be exhibiting any symptoms yet, but it doesn’t mean you’re not causing harm.

• Shannon says

Unless you are pouring the tea tree oil straight onto the counter and letting your cat walk in it or lick it, it’s fine. Since you are diluting it to less than 1% by adding water and castile soap, it is not a high enough concentration to do any harm.

2. Jennifer A. says

You don’t have to wash off the Castile soap from these wipes? It seems like these wipes would leave a trail of soapiness behind that would need to be water rinsed. Can anyone address this?

• TinaB says

I already make these with approximately the same ratios. I haven’t had a problem with needing to rinse my counters afterwards.

• Katy says

I’m wondering the same thing. I hate sticky and streaky countertops. I usually use straight rubbing alcohol for this reason but would love to change to something better smelling. So, what about it? Does it leave a residue?

• Francesca says

I followed the directions to a T and the lather they produce is UNBELIEVABLE! I mind as well have wiped the counter with dish soap and a bucket of water! I think the idea is great but maybe 1 DROP or two of castille soap! It only takes a small squeeze filled with water to make a bid dispenser of hand soap, so I really should have thought this one through first! Great idea but quantity is off!

3. Laura Bethuy says

Since Castile soap comes in peppermint, I’m wondering if we could skip adding the peppermint oil?

• Stacy says

In the photo she is using unscented soap vs peppermint. If you use the peppermint soap version, you wouldn’t need the essential oil unless you want a super strong benefit of peppermint.

• DeMama says

I always try to determine whether the product is using perfume grade essential oils or therapeutic grade. Only one of them has all the health benefits; guess which one :)

• conniejo says

There is only one type of essential oil and all are “therapeutic”. You may be thinking of fragrance oils.

• Trish F says

If you just want the scent of peppermint, then no you would not need to add the EO’s. However, since most EO’s are anti-bacterial and anti-microbial I would add them for that purpose. Also by using unscented Castile soap, you can use what ever EO you like i.e. lemon, orange, grapefruit and get the same cleaning properties.

4. Jennifer says

Would it work to put this in a spray bottle and just use rags to dry it off? I have eczema and it flares up on my hands when they get too wet (or wet too often) and so I try to avoid handling wet rags.

• Sara says

I use 2 cups white vinegar, 10-20 drops each or some of peppermint, tea tree, orange, lavender, eucalyptus EOs (changing scent for the season) in a glass gallon jug then fill with water. I just pour it into a spray bottle and use a rag to wipe up. I can even let it soak for a minuet or two on the kid messes.

5. Wendy says

Using the same ratio of rags and liquid, I bet this idea would work with the citrus vinegar as well.

6. Hollie says

I am definitely going to try this. I will add some tea tree oil to hopefully prevent my rags from getting mildew. How long do you think these will keep in a jar like this?

• Jackie says

I wondered about this as well. Then came the lightbulb, just store them in the fridg. they shoul last all week that way. And I find that things like ice cold cleaners etc energize me to get othjer chores done.

7. karen says

this is a perfect post! I’m going to make some this evening – or tomorrow. I must say in your pics, your nails are spectacular!

8. Tara says

I’ve been wanting to make something like this. I almost cringe every time I get out a Household Surface Wipe with all those chemicals on it. I can tell my body doesn’t like the chemicals because my eyes start to get irritated and watery and my nose doesn’t like the potency of the smell. Thank you!
    Where do you buy your castile soap? The cheapset I’ve seen it is for about $.50/oz! Crazy! Is there an easy way I can make it myself to save some money?

• Lynne says

You can buy castile bar soap and grate it up. Add some water and you have liquid castile soap! Do a Google search for the amounts of each. I use Kirks castile soap.

1. […] have one jar of wipes in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. I used the tutorial/directions here: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/07/make-your-own-reusable-peppermint-kitchen-wipes.html  Hers are really pretty and nicely cut and mine look like I went at some t shirts with a chain saw […]