DIY Cookie Basket Made From A Paper Plate

DIY Cookie Basket

My heartfelt thanks goes out to It’s Always Autumn for helping me out with today’s blog post while I am in Washington, DC for the United Nations Foundation Global Issues Fellowship & Shot@Life Champion Summit. I just love this super SIMPLE and CREATIVE idea! I know you will too! Take it away Autumn……..

Hello, One Good Thing readers! My name is Autumn, and I blog at It’s Always Autumn, where I share sewing, craft, and photography tutorials as well as printables and recipes.

I’m excited to be here today to share a crazy easy DIY cookie basket made from a paper plate. I love baking and I love giving cookies as gifts, but sometimes cookies piled on a paper plate don’t look quite as fantastic as they taste. At the same time, I’m just plain cheap, so I’m not likely to spend more money on cute packaging for my cookies than I spent on the ingredients to make them!

autumn

That’s why I love this little cookie basket – it takes five minutes, one paper plate, and a few pieces of tape to assemble.

Cookie Basket

Once you have your basket put together, you can stack the cookies in next to each other like this:

DIY Cookie Basket

Or in a one long row like this:

DIY Cookie Basket

Either way, eight cookies fit perfectly. (Cookies shown are my favorite ones to share: they are the never fail, never flat, absolutely perfect chocolate chip cookies.)

To make this simple paper plate basket, here’s what you do:

DIY Cookie Basket

Just cut along the dotted lines in the first photo, fold along the dotted lines in the second photo, tape up the ends, and fill the basket with cookies! I lined the basket with a piece of wax paper just to make sure the buttery cookies don’t leave grease marks, then tied it up with ribbon so the cookies look as fantastic as they taste.

I hope you’ll come visit me at It’s Always Autumn for more simple craft, sewing, and photography tutorials, including another paper plate basket just the right size for gifting muffins!

DIY Cookie Basket

Thanks so much for having me here, Jillee!

Facebook965Twitter33Pinterest545449Google+246

Comments

1. Janet T says

I know I’m reading this in the middle of the night … but I don’t quite get the picture, how to move from one step to the next. It’s a really attractive and practical idea, but I could have done with more photos showing the actual folding, etc.

• Grannie_4_7 says

Me too! So glad I’m not the only one. It just seems that if there was a picture that showed the cut lines and the fold lines in the same pic, then I could figure it out much better. I just can’t quite figure it out. Think I’ll practice until I can figure it out. But not tonight – headed for bed.

P.S. What a cute idea this is! As well as practical. Thank you.

• Laurie S. says

It’s a paper plate – what have you got to lose, but just try it? Make the cuts as shown – do not turn the plate and make the folds as shown – if you make one fold at a time and lay it down flat before lifting and taping, that might make it easier for you – then lift the bottom middle piece that has been cut AND folded – lift each side – the flaps will be in front of the piece you just picked up – that’s where you will tape! Do the same thing for the other side, and you will be done! Have fun!!

• Grannie_4_7 says

Thank you Laurie! That “- do not turn the plate and make the folds as shown -” is the piece I couldn’t quite figure out! And you’er right, it’s just a paper plate. (guess my OCD was showing just a little -LOL!)

Thanks for the help! These are going to be fun! My grandchildren would probably enjoy decorating the plates and then I could surprise each of them with their own “package” of freshly baked cookies they help me make.

2. Judy C says

This is a wonderful, practical idea, and the presentation is beautiful. I would love to RECEIVE a little basket like this, too! Thank you for this little craft. With Easter coming, I’m already thinking about putting my own twist on it!

This is such a great idea! It’s always such a problem at Christmas how to package cookies. My husband is a teacher and gives cookies to a bunch of the other teachers. Little tins get expensive and, as you said, paper plate look so plain! This is a great solution! Thanks! And I’ll be visiting your blog soon!

4. CTY says

I like them! Thank you for the post. I will stop by your site next.
    I think I’ll use some of the smaller plates for mini Easter Baskets at each place setting at the table. I can put a sampling of my homemade chocolate eggs in each one; or they’d be cute too with carrots & celery sticks & a little cup of ranch dressing. Wheels are spinning–think I’ll turn it and make a bunny face on the narrow side, add cotton ball ears glued to fun foam and of course a cotton ball tail on back. Better “hop” to it. I crack myself up sometimes.

5. Brenda says

I don’t want to sound stupid but I don’t quite understand the pictures. I got a paper plate and tried it but can’t get it to work quite right and neither can my son who is a whiz at puzzles. The second picture doesn’t show where the cut parts are in relation to where the folds are and it doesn’t show where they actually go to be taped. My son’s birthday is next week and I want to do this for their snacks rather than having them dig into a large bowl.

6. Diana says

To all those that are having trouble figuring this out…click on the link LUCKY 8 PUNCH TREAT HOLDER posted by L.R. smith. Her pics are MUCH EASIER to understand where the folds and cuts are. Think I’ll make one and use it as my template to use for a quick treat box holder! I also like her idea of using scrapbooking card stock!!
    Thx for such a terrific idea!!

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your cookie basket! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly craft tutorials, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a cool idea!

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking over your
    web page for a second time.

This design is steller! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog
    (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job. I really loved what you had to
    say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!