It might seem silly, but one of my biggest pet peeves is having to carry a purse. But since I have to have the things I need with me during the day, carrying a purse is unavoidable. So I try to make carrying a purse as painless as possible by finding cute bags with practical features. While I do have a few bags at home that I use regularly, I wouldn’t say that I’m crazy about any of them.
A few months ago I took to my Facebook page to ask my followers about their favorite pair of comfortable shoes, and I wrote a whole blog post featuring their answers. (You can read that post at the link below!) I decided that it might be helpful to get similar feedback about purses, to help me in my search for a great bag that I don’t hate carrying around. So I asked my Facebook followers to tell me about their favorite bags and purses, and today I’m sharing their incredibly useful insights!
I’ve included the few brands that were mentioned by name, but some commenters didn’t mention a specific purse brand or model. Many comments listed features that they liked in a bag or purse, so I found some bags on Amazon that had similar features. My hope is that the following list gives a good indication of the range of styles, prices, and features that were mentioned. There’s a little something for everyone here, and it has definitely been helpful for me in my search for the perfect bag! :-)
11 Of The Best Types Of Purses, According To OGT Readers
1. The Practical Bag – eBags Piazza Daybag
If you’re looking for a bag that’s practical, functional, and durable, this daybag is a great option! It has a wide strap that won’t dig into your shoulder after a few hours of wearing it. This bag is a favorite of travelers, because it has spaces for water bottles, wallets, an umbrella, a phone, and pretty much anything else you could need while exploring! Here’s what one reader had to say about it:
- “This is my favorite… and over the last 15 years I have had 3 [of them]. I am not a person to change my bag unless it wears out and this thing wears like steel. [It is] machine washable, and converts in seconds from a shoulder bag to a crossbody. It has more room in it than my first 3 apartments combined and I LOVE a well organized bag.” – Joan
2. The Little Bag – HAIDEXI Small Crossbody Bag
This small bag is perfect for times when you only need your phone, a couple of credit cards, and a lipgloss. It keeps things simple, while still keeping your hands free!
3. The Clutch – Aitbags Clutch With Crossbody Chain
This simple clutch would be great to carry on a night out. It has a cute chain strap you can use to turn it into a crossbody bag too!
4. The Bag Set – LOVEVOOK 3-Piece Purse Set
Why have just one purse when you can have three? ;-) This set includes a large tote, a medium-size crossbody bag, and a smaller clutch. Use one at a time, or mix-and-match depending on what you need!
5. The Pockets Bag – Alyssa Triple Zip Crossbody Bag
This bag is perfect for anyone who prioritizes pockets. It has three zip compartments so you’ll have a place for everything! It also comes in 21 different colors, so you can have a bag to match every outfit. :-)
6. The Backpack – WINK KANGAROO Faux Leather Backpack
Some people prefer a backpack-style bag like this cute, faux leather option. It’s not as large or capacious as a school backpack, so it’s much more convenient to carry around. It will keep your hands free without getting in the way.
7. The Versatile Option – Jack&Chris Top Handle Handbag
This bag is really versatile because you can use is it as a handbag, a shoulder bag, or a crossbody bag. It has a structured design and is made of soft faux leather.
8. The Hobo Bag – Realer Hobo Bag
This is a cute option for those who like roomy, slouchy hobo bags. You can pack all your stuff into it with room to spare! And thanks to the removable strap, you can use it as a shoulder bag or a crossbody bag.
9. The Tote Bag – BEKILOLE Tote Bag
$9.90 – $18.25
I’ve definitely become more of a fan of totes in the past few years. (As long as they’re not TOO big, because that just leads to me carrying around more stuff than I actually need.) This one is inexpensive, comes in small, medium, and large sizes, and you can pick from a wide variety of colors!
10. The Honorable Mention – COKOO Handbag Organizer
This doesn’t necessarily qualify as a purse, but I felt it was worth including! Purse organizers are really helpful, especially if you like to switch between bags often. This one comes in two different sizes and six different colors, and they have plenty of pockets to keep your stuff organized.
11. The High-End Favorite – Dooney & Bourke Bags
Price: $99.99 – $498.00
If you’re looking to splurge on an expensive, well-crafted purse, you can’t go wrong with Dooney & Bourke! Dooney & Bourke bags come in a variety of sizes, styles, and prices. This was by far the most frequently mentioned brand in response to my question on Facebook! Here’s what a few people had to say…
- “My big old Dooney bag. I’ve carried it for the better part of five years and will until the strap falls off. Then I’m getting the strap fixed and carrying it until the bottom falls out. Then I’m giving it a good Christian burial in the yard because it is the best bag ever!!!” – Erin
- “Dooney & Bourke. Cost me $400 but lasted 10 years without even so much as a scuff.” – Lacey
- “Definitely Dooney & Bourke!!! I love all of mine!!!” – Mary