Boy, do I have a treat for you today! :-) What would you think about a soft, cake-like cookie that requires only three ingredients to make, AND that can be ready to eat in under 30 minutes? If you’re anything like me, you might be skeptical that such a cookie exists, yet intrigued enough to learn more. (I admit it—I have treat-based trust issues! I’ve been burned before by recipes that sounded amazing, but never lived up to the hype.)
But I swear on my honor that these particular cookies are the real deal! They’re called cake mix cookies, because (you guessed it!) you make them using boxed cake mix. The resulting cookies are so soft and chewy, you might have a hard time putting them down! And you can use any cake mix you like to make these cookies, so the possibilities are almost endless!
First, I’ll show you exactly how to make these cake mix cookies. (Spoiler alert: it couldn’t possibly be any easier.) After that, I’ll share 5 different tasty flavor combinations that you can try out at your leisure. By the end of this post, you’ll understand exactly why these versatile cookies are quickly becoming the new favorite at our house! :-)
How To Make Cake Mix Cookies
Add cake mix, butter, and eggs to a mixing bowl. Stir until they come together to form a dough. Drop the dough in rounded tablespoons onto a greased or lined baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes at 350°F.
Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
5 Delicious Cake Mix Cookies To Try
1. Sandwich Cookies
This is less of a cookie variety and more of a method, but I’m including it anyway! Sandwich cookies are like Oreos—two cookies with a layer of icing in the center. You can use any cake mix for the cookies and any flavor of icing. There are endless ways to mix and match flavors into delicious combinations! Here are a couple of tasty combos to get you inspired:
- Red Velvet: We whipped up a batch of cake mix cookies using a red velvet cake mix. For the icing “filling,” we chose a cream cheese frosting. The results were absolutely delicious!
- Homemade Oreos: Use a chocolate or devil’s food cake mix to make the cookies, and sandwich them together with vanilla icing. It’s a tasty ode to the most famous sandwich cookie of all!
2. Birthday Cookies
Use funfetti cake mix to whip up a batch of celebratory birthday cookies! (You can also use a white cake mix with 3 tablespoons of sprinkles mixed in instead. The results are very similar either way!)
3. Caramel Surprise Cookies
Use a devil’s food cake mix to prepare a batch of cake mix cookie dough. While you’re portioning out the dough, press one Rolo into the center of each ball of cookie dough. The melted chocolate and caramel in these cookies makes for a sweet surprise!
4. Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Lemon Crinkle: Use a similar method to make tangy lemon crinkle cookies! Use a lemon cake mix to make your dough, then roll the balls in a layer of powdered sugar before baking.
5. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
These seasonal favorites are made with a spice cake mix, but the ingredients are slightly different than the other cake mix cookies. Check out the full recipe at the link below!
What type of cake mix would you choose to use in these cookies?
Cake Mix Cookies
What would you about a soft, cake-like cookie that requires only three ingredients to make, AND that can be ready to eat in under 30 minutes? They’re called cake mix cookies, and they are the real deal!
- 1 cake box mix (the dry mix only, don’t add any of the ingredients listed on the box)
- 1 stick melted butter
- 2 eggs
Add the cake mix, butter, and eggs to a mixing bowl. Stir until they come together to form a dough.
Drop the dough in rounded tablespoons onto a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes at 350°F.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.