This isn’t the first time that I’ve shared this recipe here on my blog, but it’s definitely one that’s worth re-sharing. In fact, this hot chocolate recipe is one of the most popular recipes I’ve ever shared!
I was introduced to this recipe several years ago in response to a question I had posted on the OGT Facebook page. I put out a call for tips that would come in handy on a snowy day when everyone is stuck indoors, and received a lot of great responses!
But it was the response from Amanda R. that really caught my eye! She shared what she called “the BEST hot chocolate I’ve ever had,” so I had to try it! I mixed up a batch that very evening, and by the end of the night, the four of us had consumed every last drop!
And as for Amanda’s lofty claim? We actually agreed—this crockpot concoction is the BEST hot chocolate we’d ever tasted! There’s just something extra special about a cup of cocoa made from scratch, as opposed to one made from a powdered mix. (Although I still like to keep a stash of my Semi-Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix in the pantry for a quick cup!)
While it’s not always convenient to make up a big batch of hot chocolate in the crockpot, it’s perfect for any special occasion or gathering, or just to help pass a lazy winter afternoon!
How To Make The Best Ever Crockpot Hot Chocolate
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semi-sweet)
Add all the ingredients to your crockpot and whisk together until well combined. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until warm throughout and chocolate chips are melted.
Whisk well before ladling into mugs, and top with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, or whatever else you like!
According to Amanda, you can also switch things up by using different types of chips. You could use white chocolate, butterscotch, mint chocolate, or salted caramel chips… so many delicious possibilities! :-)
What’s your favorite way to pass a snow day?
My Best Ever Crockpot Hot Chocolate Recipe
Is this the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted? You know what, it is! And it’s perfect for a special occasion, or just for a lazy winter afternoon!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips milk chocolate OR semi-sweet
- Pour all the ingredients into a crockpot and whisk together until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot and chocolate chips are melted. Whisk well before serving. Garnish as desired (which means MARSHMALLOWS of course!)
- According to Amanda you can also make it with white chocolate, butterscotch, even mint chocolate chips. The possibilities here are endless! I’m thinking of maybe trying a salted caramel version… yum!