Popcorn has always been one of my very favorite snacks, so much so that it’s become a part of our family lore! (All my kids know that it takes very little effort to convince me to go see a movie with them. All they have to do is mention movie theater popcorn!)
Related: The Surprising Benefits Of Popcorn
I’ve always just gotten the bags of microwaveable popcorn at the grocery store, until very recently. I was passing by the bulk section at the store when the bin of popcorn kernels called out to me. It suddenly struck me just how inexpensive popcorn kernels actually are! I decided right then that I would figure out how to make my own popcorn, preferably without having to buy a special piece of equipment.
I eventually uncovered the best way to make homemade popcorn in your microwave! Homemade popcorn is surprisingly simple to make, and it allows me the freedom to season my popcorn exactly how I want. Plus, I know I’m saving money while I’m at it! So today I’ll be sharing my popcorn discovery with you.
The Bowl Method
- Large microwave-safe bowl
- Large microwave-safe plate
- Popcorn kernels
- Butter & salt (optional)
Pour 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels into your large bowl. Grab your plate and place it over the top of the bowl.
Transfer the bowl and plate to your microwave, and cook for 2 minutes and 45 seconds.
A couple of things I want to mention about this method…
- The first time I tried this, I only managed to pop ONE kernel of popcorn. Turns out, the plate I chose didn’t sit snugly over the top of the bowl, so all the steam escaped the bowl before it could cook the kernels. I would recommend testing out a few combinations of your microwave-safe bowls and plates to make sure the plate forms a good seal over the bowl!
- Another thing to know about this method is that it tends to leave a number of unpopped kernels in the bottom of the bowl. No matter – just hang on to them and use them again the next time you make popcorn. :-)
Don’t get me wrong – I’m probably the biggest fan of butter-y popcorn you’ll ever encounter. But that’s not the only way I like to season it! Here are a few ideas for different ways to season your popcorn, if you’re looking to mix it up a little.
- Chili powder and hot sauce
- Onion powder and garlic salt
- Butter, sugar, and cinnamon