Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser

You might have seen one or two (or three, or more) of these before…especially if you are on Pinterest! It seems to be a VERY popular D.I.Y project!

Just look at all the different canning jar dispensers I found through a quick Pinterest search! And this is only SOME of them!

mason jar dispenser 3
It’s easy to see though, how this could be so popular. It’s simple, it’s functional and it’s got that whole “farmhouse chic” thing going for it!

Oh…and I forgot…it’s made out of a MASON JAR! Mason jars have got to be one of THE most popular items to make stuff out of that ever was!

I could make a LONG list of things you can make with them…but that’s been done over and over as well…so I will spare you. I guess what I am GETTING to, is that DESPITE the many, many times this craft has been done…that didn’t stop me from wanting to make one of my own! I think initially I just wanted to prove to myself that I COULD do it (I’m not all that gifted in the crafting department.) But it’s hard to dispute how gosh darn cute these little dispensers are, and in the end I just wanted a cute little mason jar dispenser by my sink.

I have to thank Julia at Blissfully Content for her tutorial…which was one of the easiest to follow I’ve seen. I just love a blogger who writes things like, “Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect!”  :-)

There’s not a whole lot to assemble for this. A canning jar and lid (duh), a pump dispenser (I took mine from an old bottle of hand sanitizer), some glue and a couple of sharp, pointed instruments for getting a hole started.

For some reason I don’t have a picture of it, but what I did to get the hole started in my lid was use an Exacto knife. I was very careful and only applied as much pressure as needed to make a tiny hole. Then I worked on making it bigger with a screwdriver and then with these cutters.

You are going to keep widening the hole you’ve made until it is just big enough to fit the pump in.
It doesn’t need to be perfectly round…but it should be on the snug side so the pump will stay put. Just keep widening a little at a time until you get the right fit.

When it is the right size…take the “wrong” end of the screwdriver and lightly hammer down the pieces of metal that are sticking up so there are no sharp edges.

Now, if  you have one of those really old, antique jars with the lid that is all one piece, you can skip this part. But if you just have your standard canning jar with a two-piece lid…you’ll need to glue them together. I just put some E6000 all along the inside of the rim of the band (please ignore the Band-Aid, I completely forgot I had it on! ugh)…….

…then pressed the sealing lid inside. I allowed that to dry for a little while before I put the pump through the hole.

Now all that’s left to do is put some glue around the base of the hole to form a nice seal…and you are done! Finito! You, my friend, have just made your own mason jar soap dispenser!  Pretty cool huh?

I have to say I was pretty stoked about how mine turned out.  Almost as good at the “real” ones on Pinterest. :-)   Oh wait….now mine IS one of the real ones. SWEET.

Facebook292Twitter6Pinterest18310Google+14

Comments

1. Jill Nystul says

Thanks Julia! I owe it all to you. :-) I have to say, I was pretty proud. My talents unfortunately do not lie in the crafting arena…but I still LOVE to do them! That's why projects like this are perfect! :-)

2. Joani says

Wonderful tutorial, seen them on Pinterest, but your instructions were great. I'll be making one… thanks. I've been following your blog for sometime now and love reading what you've posted everyday. Always something interesting and relevant and fun! Thanks!!!

3. Gale says

I made some of these over the weekend…they turned out cute. I used a drill bit to make the initial hole in the middle of the lid, then used tin snips to make the hole bigger. I didn't have a drill bit big enough to make the entire hole, but it was still so simple! I had some of the E6000 glue on hand from making "redneck wine glasses" at Christmas. I bought 6 bottles of liquid hand soap that was on sale for $1 and a 12pk of the jars for about $8…so I figure my total cost for these was right around $1.70…and they're so cute!

4. Anonymous says

This is all new to me and i have just spent the last 2 hours looking everything you have wrote
    wow i am in heaven can't wait to see more
    I deside that my friends will be getting all your homemade cleaners for home body and face.
    so hope that my printer is fixed soon so can print them off.Thank you for all the time that you do on this it is great can't wait to see and read more

5. Tiffney says

Love this idea but I have a 7 year old son and was worried he would knock the mason jar off the sink and shatter it.So I think I will try a plastic jar like a mayonaise jar intead.

• Amy says

I was just thinking the same thing. My kids are 4 and 8, and I’m afraid they’ll break it. Great idea for storing homemade concoctions, though. I was given some semi-homemade dishwasher detergent in a little mason jar…which makes me think I should do homemade gifts this year for Christmas. Yea!

6. Jackie says

I really LOVE your blog! You have inspired me to make my own clothing detergent and dishwasher detergent. My clothes are amazingly soft and my dishes are sparkling clean! I’m going to try this one next. So cute and would look great in my bathroom. Can’t wait to try this!

7. JNO_3 says

Love this! I wanted these soap dispensers but needed 4 and couldn’t bring myself to pay the price. I’ve got some left over oil rubbed bronze metallic spray paint from doorknobs that I’m going to use on the metal lid so it coordinates with the rest of my fixtures! Thanks!

• Tamika says

Good lord, the clip is gone!
      Monday, January 30, 2012Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

*Photo Courtesy of CountryLiving.com

I love browsing through the latest Country Living Magazine and I came across this mason jar soap dispenser DIY project. you repurpose the classic Mason jar as a soap or lotion dispenser to use in your bathroom or kitchen

8. Ellen says

I just love this so easy to do… I don’t have the glue but I do have clear silicone calking. I will try that and see how it works. This would also be great as a super cute lotion dispenser instead of those horrible plastic bottles!

Just made my first canning jar pump dispenser, and it turned out great. I tweaked it like this: I used a big nail for my starter hole and punched it from the inside of the lid so the sharp edges would be covered by the pump cap. I widened the hole by putting my pointy pliers in the nail hole and twisting it till the hole was big enough. I also offset the hole a bit to one side instead of centering it, so the pump would squirt further over the side of the jar. And since I didn’t have the glue and I live far from town I sealed the pump to the lid with clear silicone sealer, which seems to work fine. Can’t wait to see how it holds up to homestead use. Thanks for a great blog!

10. DINA says

I LOVE MASON JARS. THIS LOOKS SO EASY IM GOING TO MAKE IT ASAP. I PURCHASED A MASON JAR WITH A LIGHT SOCKET & USE IT AS A SMALL LIGHT IN MY KITCHEN. AT A RESALE SHOP I PAID LESS THAN $10. ALTHOUGH I KNEW I COULD MAKE IT MY SELF I WASN’T SURE HOW, NOW I KNOW HOW! LOOK OUT FAMILY IM GETTING THAT JAR COLLECTION OUT OF THE CLOSET.

11. J Daniel says

I love your ideas. Thanks ever so much for all the useful tips posted here. I’ve been searching the net for economical ways to clean and maintain my home, plus homemade beauty products and you have come up TRUMPS! Thank you ever so much for sharing.

12. Shari says

I am so into jars and have them all over the house but not really mason ones just cute ones that different foods come in. I cant wait to make one for my kitchen sink. I hate the look of the plastic one I have so this will be perfect. Thanks for such good instructions but I will use my drill.

13. Raye love says

The dispenser is such a great idea. Being a frugal gal, I held onto damaged lids that couldn’t be used any more for canning. I used them on dog treat jars. Jars for bits and ends of stuff. I kinda ran outta ideas…now I have this! Thanks for sharing the lotion and dispensing idea :)

Way cool! Einige sehr extrem gültige Punkte !
    Ich schätze Sie schreibe dies Artikel und auch die Rest der Seite ist sehr wirklich gut.

Ich bin neugierig zu erfahren, was Blog- System Sie gerade sind Nutzung ?
    Ich bin mit einige Moll Sicherheitsprobleme mit meinem neuesten Website und Ich würde gerne
    etwas mehr zu finden gesichert . Haben Sie Lösungen ?
    und die
    Wenn Sie wollen, Wunsch bis erhalten Artikel , dann müssen Sie beantragen diese Strategien Techniken , um
    Ihr gewonnen Website .

If youu want a beaded Rasta bracelet or reggae bracelets, there are numrrous craft
    stores and outlets that offer different kinds of beads that vary in sizes and shapes.
    anyone could freely pass through its dozen or so wide gates.
    In tjme they began to make fine porcupine-quill embroidery, which they colored by bopiling the quills in the paint pigments.