Authentic Utah Fry Sauce! Dipping Heaven!

fry sauce

Awhile back I posted about Mississippi Comeback Sauce and how it apparently goes with EVERYTHING….except Cheerios.

When I read the ingredients it reminded me an awful lot of what we in Utah refer to as Fry Sauce. If you have ever been to Utah and ordered french fries at a restaurant…you are probably acquainted with Fry Sauce. It’s practically a state treasure.

Well, it occurred to me today, after reading a comment from someone asking if Comeback Sauce is like Fry Sauce, that I haven’t ever shared the beauty that is Fry Sauce on this blog! That simply won’t do. So tonight since New York Steak was on sale at our awesome local grocery store, Day’s Market, I decided steak and steak FRIES were going to be on the menu…which meant there HAD to be Fry Sauce for dippin!

Fry Sauce is considerably less involved than Comeback Sauce…but there is one “secret” ingredient that makes all the difference in this recipe. One I only learned within the last year. A friend of ours opened a hamburger joint and was serving the BEST fries along with the BEST fry sauce, so I asked him what the “secret” was and I was fairly flabbergasted when he said PICKLE JUICE. I was quite skeptical actually, and it wasn’t until I mixed up my first batch with a little of the sour green stuff that I realized he was spot on about the pickle juice! It give it just the right “tang”.

So the next time you decide to make anything close to resembling a french fry…be sure and try mixing up a little Fry Sauce for on the side. You will die (and then come back to life to eat more)! However, you’ll never be able to eat french fries without it again!

Basic Fry Sauce Recipe

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (roughly a 2 to 1 ratio)
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 3 to 4 teaspoons pickle juice (add one teaspoon at a time & check for taste)

Mix together in small bowl. Eat.

This is the basic recipe. There are a million and one variations out there. I’ve heard of using barbecue sauce instead of ketchup, or chili sauce. And some people add a “kick” with cayenne pepper or tabasco sauce. Have fun with it….go crazy! :-)

Utah Fry Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (roughly a 2 to 1 ratio)
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 3 to 4 teaspoons pickle juice (add one teaspoon at a time & check for taste)

Instructions

1. Mix together in small bowl. Eat.

Facebook168Twitter4Pinterest12151Google+2

Comments

1. Gallegos Newsletter says

Thank you! My hometown is Salt Lake City and I currently reside in Ohio….One thing we do find that we miss is the fry sauce! We have made our own in the past, however since you can now buy it from Artic Circle we have family who love us and send it all the time! Thanks for sharing and now that I know the secret I might just make some tonight!

2. Tara Wellman says

I moved from Utah to Iowa about 7 years ago. When I realized no one knew what “fry sauce” was, I was shocked! And then, the withdrawls began. Ha. Anyway, I’ve tried a few things here and there, but the pickle juice is something I never would have guessed. Thanks!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOUUUU! Oh my gosh, I have been absolutely CRAVING fry sauce like Cookie Monster craves cookies, and I live in Colorado where it doesn’t exist! (so sad.) Ohhh, this totally makes my day. :)

Natalie from
    NatSprat.blogspot.com

I grew up in Wyoming and Arctic Circle is still my favorite fast food joint! Although living in KS for years, and now TX, I only get there about once a year. I always mixed just ketchup and mayo for at home fry sauce. Now that I’m hooked on curry ketchup (a German thing), I use it instead. I can’t wait try this recipe with some curry ketchup!

5. Amanda Lusby says

Thank you so much for posting this! I live in Utah for a year and I could not get enough of the fry sauce. Any time we went out to eat and I got fries I HAD to have fry sauce to go with them. I eventually started making home made fries and buying this fry sauce from Wal-Mart that you could get in a squeeze bottle. When I moved to Florida I was devastated that I could not find fry sauce anywhere. It’s been nearly 4 years since I have had any. Thank, you thank you, thank you!

6. Stacey says

So, so, so, excited to try this! We lived in Salt Lake City for 3 years (10 years ago) and I fell in love with fry sauce. We have since lived in 3 other states and no one knows what the heck fry sauce is!! I would never have thought of pickle juice…but will give it a try. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

7. Tammy says

I’ve been making fry sauce for years. I worked at a very popular, at the time, burger joint that is no longer around, but the owner worked at another nationwide chain burger joint and she used their recipe for fry sauce, which calls for mayo, ketchup, tomato soup, mustard, salt and pepper. It’s really good, but my family and I LOVE dill pickles so I can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks, I love your website and I remember the girls always talking about how much they love you on GTU, which I’ve watched from the beginning and still do.

8. Debbe says

LOL That’s so funny. I thought I was reading about something new and great, when I’ve been making this recipe for years! I thought I invented it! Not really. LOL But I have been making it for years, using it instead of Thousand Island Dressing on salads. My recipe was just dump some mayo or MW (Miracle Whip or generic) in a small bowl, squirt in some ketchup, and add some sweet pickle relish, all to taste and depending how much you wanted to make. I’ve also used dill pickle relish, hot dog relish, or whatever I had, when I didn’t have sweet, or even cut up some pickles (sweet, dill, again whatever I had), tiny dice, to put in there, when I had no relish. I’ve also used it for the “special sauce” on hamburgers. It goes with a lot of things, not just fries! Leave out the ketchup and it makes a good sub for tartar sauce. I am surprised I never made it for fries, which is odd, since I’m one who will often have mayo instead of ketchup for my fries (I blame that on my 3 years in Germany!).

Really Love Your Site!!

9. Emma says

Jillee,
    Just wanted to tell you about seeing a review for a restaurant in Utah and lo and behold “FRY SAUCE” When you posted it I made some for my family and it is a big hit, especially with sweet potato fries. Again – Thanks for sharing.

10. Scott says

I’ve spent much of my life in Utah and have to say, fry sauce is the worst possible thing to do to a beautiful fried potato. It’s for people who find ketchup just too darn exciting. Ketchup, hot sauce, or even brown gravy or mayo like they do in other places–those are all tolerable, but fry sauce is nothing but bottled boredom. It’s as bad as putting something like Thousand island on a great burger. The only way I can deal with fry sauce is if I mask the dullness with a few drops of Ghost Pepper Sauce.

If you like it, enjoy. But it’s one of the most boring things I’ve ever eaten.

11. Tanya says

THANK YOU so much…I have been trying to find some way to make a good fry sauce since I moved out of Utah….the only place I could get it is Red Robin and that just won’t do. I have to admit I do like it better with barbacue sauce or a chili powder in it…something like that….but this is great…thank you. I forgot someone once told me pickle juice would work…which kind though??? sour, dill. sweet, or butter???

12. Kori says

My mom always made a similar fry sauce. She would also use mustard. And instead of onion powder she would use paprika. And of course the pickle juice was always there! We used juice from Nalley pickles because those ones are flavored with garlic! Best fry sauce ever!

13. rae says

i am from Indiana and i have never heard of this sauce…so tonite i made spicy potato wedges in the oven and made this fry sauce up to try it. OMG!!! i am so hooked now!!! to be honest it didnt sound like it would be all that great, but something made me try it and i am so grateful now!!! tyvm for sharing it!!!

Here is my best fry sauce ever…. Go ahead and post it

Dave’s Super French Fry Sauce Recipe

One cup mayo
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 tea onion powder
    1/4 tea smoked paprika
    1 Tbl spoon liquid smoke
    3 tea pickle juice

I kept this a secret for many years as a major chef……………….MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Good

15. Debbie says

As a teenager I worked at the Artic Circle, it was my first job, that was 54 years ago. Before automation that was my job was to make the “Artic Sauce”, that’s what it was called at the time, it’s now “fry sauce”. It is a simple recipe with just 3 ingredients (no salt, no pepper)- Mayonnaise, Buttermilk, and ketchup. I still make it to this day, only in smaller amounts. I use
    2 cups of mayonnaise
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    And just enough ketchup to turn it pink.
    The recipe wasn’t guarded when I was a teen, so I share it when ever someone asks. Enjoy!

16. Debra says

I was introduced to Fry Sauce about 20 years ago when a friend of mine and I took a road trip to Utah. I’ve always loved it! Still mix ketchup and mayo together for my fries and my burgers to this day! Thanks for the recipe, never thought about pickle juice. I may have to try that!

1. [...] I recommend the “Utah” sauce. I thought it was an invention of French Fry heaven, but apparently not. This combination of ketchup and mayonnaise contained something else I couldn’t quite identify. I thought it was perhaps a blend of spices, but a blogger says in Utah the sauce is simply called “fry sauce” and its magic ingredient i…. [...]