Authentic Utah Fry Sauce! Dipping Heaven!

fry sauce

Awhile back I posted about Mississippi Comeback Sauce and how it apparently goes with EVERYTHING….except Cheerios.

When I read the ingredients it reminded me an awful lot of what we in Utah refer to as Fry Sauce. If you have ever been to Utah and ordered french fries at a restaurant…you are probably acquainted with Fry Sauce. It’s practically a state treasure.

Well, it occurred to me today, after reading a comment from someone asking if Comeback Sauce is like Fry Sauce, that I haven’t ever shared the beauty that is Fry Sauce on this blog! That simply won’t do. So tonight since New York Steak was on sale at our awesome local grocery store, Day’s Market, I decided steak and steak FRIES were going to be on the menu…which meant there HAD to be Fry Sauce for dippin!

Fry Sauce is considerably less involved than Comeback Sauce…but there is one “secret” ingredient that makes all the difference in this recipe. One I only learned within the last year. A friend of ours opened a hamburger joint and was serving the BEST fries along with the BEST fry sauce, so I asked him what the “secret” was and I was fairly flabbergasted when he said PICKLE JUICE. I was quite skeptical actually, and it wasn’t until I mixed up my first batch with a little of the sour green stuff that I realized he was spot on about the pickle juice! It give it just the right “tang”.

So the next time you decide to make anything close to resembling a french fry…be sure and try mixing up a little Fry Sauce for on the side. You will die (and then come back to life to eat more)! However, you’ll never be able to eat french fries without it again!

Basic Fry Sauce Recipe

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (roughly a 2 to 1 ratio)
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 3 to 4 teaspoons pickle juice (add one teaspoon at a time & check for taste)

Mix together in small bowl. Eat.

This is the basic recipe. There are a million and one variations out there. I’ve heard of using barbecue sauce instead of ketchup, or chili sauce. And some people add a “kick” with cayenne pepper or tabasco sauce. Have fun with it….go crazy! :-)

Utah Fry Sauce

Utah Fry Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (roughly a 2 to 1 ratio)
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 3 to 4 teaspoons pickle juice (add one teaspoon at a time & check for taste)

Instructions

1. Mix together in small bowl. Eat.

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest12,996Google+2

Comments

1. caseylynne says

Thank you thank you thank you….i have been looking for a good fry sauce recipe. I cant wait to try this.

2. Gallegos Newsletter says

Thank you! My hometown is Salt Lake City and I currently reside in Ohio….One thing we do find that we miss is the fry sauce! We have made our own in the past, however since you can now buy it from Artic Circle we have family who love us and send it all the time! Thanks for sharing and now that I know the secret I might just make some tonight!

• Brandy says

I enlarged the picture with all of the ingredients shown, the jar says “Dill Spears” :) I do wonder what it would taste like with sweet pickle juice though…

3. Tara Wellman says

I moved from Utah to Iowa about 7 years ago. When I realized no one knew what “fry sauce” was, I was shocked! And then, the withdrawls began. Ha. Anyway, I’ve tried a few things here and there, but the pickle juice is something I never would have guessed. Thanks!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOUUUU! Oh my gosh, I have been absolutely CRAVING fry sauce like Cookie Monster craves cookies, and I live in Colorado where it doesn’t exist! (so sad.) Ohhh, this totally makes my day. :)

Natalie from
    NatSprat.blogspot.com

I grew up in Wyoming and Arctic Circle is still my favorite fast food joint! Although living in KS for years, and now TX, I only get there about once a year. I always mixed just ketchup and mayo for at home fry sauce. Now that I’m hooked on curry ketchup (a German thing), I use it instead. I can’t wait try this recipe with some curry ketchup!

6. Amanda Lusby says

Thank you so much for posting this! I live in Utah for a year and I could not get enough of the fry sauce. Any time we went out to eat and I got fries I HAD to have fry sauce to go with them. I eventually started making home made fries and buying this fry sauce from Wal-Mart that you could get in a squeeze bottle. When I moved to Florida I was devastated that I could not find fry sauce anywhere. It’s been nearly 4 years since I have had any. Thank, you thank you, thank you!

1. […] I recommend the “Utah” sauce. I thought it was an invention of French Fry heaven, but apparently not. This combination of ketchup and mayonnaise contained something else I couldn’t quite identify. I thought it was perhaps a blend of spices, but a blogger says in Utah the sauce is simply called “fry sauce” and its magic ingredient i…. […]