No-Grate Homemade Laundry Soap

homemade-laundry-1.22.13

Despite all the enthusiasm over making homemade laundry detergent recently…I continue to hear murmurings from those who just can’t bring themselves to grate soap and cook it on the stove.

It apparently just isn’t going to happen. :-)

I’m not naming any names…but my older sister would probably freely admit she didn’t decide to even attempt making her own laundry detergent UNTIL I told her about this “new” recipe I was testing out.

(I know it seems like I’m always “picking on” her…but she called me a “brat” on her blog recently…so she pretty much deserves it. lol).

Once again I have to credit the incredible readers of this blog for my inspiration.

Tiffanie posted this on February 4th….
A close friend of mine has been making laundry soap like this one for years, until just recently she found an easier one to make and passed it on to us.

3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dish soap

Put these ingredients in a one gallon jug. Pour 4 cups boiling water into the jug. Swirl until ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Let liquid cool. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. The bubbles will overflow out of the bottle.
I love this because you can pick an awesome scent with the Dawn dish soap. This dish soap works the best because it gets grease out. :o)

February 4, 2012 8:59 PM

homemade laundry detergent

homemade laundry detergent

As FOND as I am of the soap I’ve been using for over 8 months now…I felt I needed to at least give this version a fair shake. Sooo…I made up a gallon of it and have been using it for almost a week. I’ve used almost the entire gallon and despite my initial skepticism…I have not noticed any difference in it’s ability to get my clothes clean from my current recipe. I use approximately 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load. I know that sounds like a lot, but it’s pretty thin and since it’s SO easy and inexpensive to make, it doesn’t bother me.

Of course there are still those items of clothing that will need an extra boost with some Homemade Shout or Homemade Oxi-Clean….but overall I honestly haven’t noticed any difference in it’s cleaning ability.

For those of you concerned with HE washers…I haven’t noticed any more soap suds with this “recipe” either. On a small load I will notice some sudsing…but on a large load…it appears to me to be as low-suds as my previous version.

homemade laundry detergent

So….today I offer up this “new” version of homemade laundry detergent to those who have to this point been reluctant or unwilling to try making their own. A couple of things that might convince you to try…no grating of soap…no cooking…and you can make one gallon at a time in just a few minutes.

If you DO decide to try it…I would love to know what you think. :-)

Share on Facebook5,714Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+15

Comments

1. jessica says

I believe she mentions that it is as low suds as the other recipe, and should not hurt HE washer. =)

2. Laura says

I found all three (washing soda, borax and Fels Naptha) in the laundry products section (on the same shelf) at our Walmart Supercenter. Def going to try the no grate method. That was a pain in the butt.

3. Robin says

I have also just used a sharp knife and shaved the bars with it. Make sense? I basically used the knife like I was cutting up lettuce keeping the handle in my right hand and rocking the blade with my left hand. It does help to let the Fels Naptha “Dry Out” like mentioned above. I like cooked versions better, but will try this one.

4. Nikki says

If you cant find washing soad..Use baking soda & Bake it at 400 in wide full size baking dish till it comes out shiny and grain. Found this on pinterest!

5. Tara says

@Mary-you shouldn’t use castile soap on diapers, it won’t rinse out! Also be careful with grating Fels Naptha for diaper laundry, same thing. I made this specifically for diapers since I use the same ingredients when stripping-just never tried them together! this should rinse clean but if there are stink issues you may have used too much, too little or needed another rinse or 2. I’ve been trying to find the perfect homemade recipe for 6 years of CDing and I’m hoping this is it, the wash is going as we speak and I’m hoping to get rid of some residue from Charlies :(

I made this today with Dr Bronner’s castille liquid soap instead of Dawn (which is not ecofriendly) and it’s as runny as water….I used Peppermint scented soap as a test run, but will go buy Rose for next time, if I’m happy with the result. It was soooo easy! I am curious about Heather Fay’s method she posted above where she keeps everything solid. I think that method might actually end up being my favorite! Why do people add water???

7. Deborah says

My ex worked in the sun all day and always had these dirty greasy looking collars that would not come out with regular washing. I was brushing them but that would leave the collar looking worn out very fast. So I read somewhere (probably the wonderful internet) that shampoo helps, so I always slathered some (cheap) shampoo on the collar a few minutes before washing and then just did a regular spin with regular soap and they always came out squeaky clean.

I was wondering if it would work the same if I changed the dawn for the shampoo?

8. Meredith says

You can find borax and washing soda and more at walmart ! They are placed all beside each other by the baking soda in the cleaning/detergent aisle!