Rootbeer Freeze Made With
Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk!

When I was growing up in Long Beach, California…one of our favorite places to go for a treat as a family was the Tastee Freez!

For those of you from there….remember the one next to the car wash on Stearns?  They were FAMOUS for their vanilla cones dipped in chocolate! But for ME…they were famous for their Rootbeer Freezes!

While everyone else was getting their dipped cones or Rootbeer FLOATS…I had to make SURE they got my order right…

Rootbeer FREEZE please. :-)

I haven’t had one of those for YEARS….DECADES even!  Until (by happy accident) last night!

It all started with wanting to try a neat idea I saw on The Farmer’s Nest for making Soda Pop Ice Cream. Because you know how much I ADORE pretty much any frozen treat!

I’ve seen a couple versions of this “recipe”…one using Orange Soda and one using Big Red Strawberry Soda. Last night I tried the Orange Soda. Let’s just say it was a big sticky FAILURE!   Note to self: TWO LITERS of soda do not fit in a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker!

Here are the “before” pictures. I didn’t have the heart to take pictures of the “after”(math)/disaster. :-)

About the only SUCCESSFUL part of this attempt was the Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk I made for it.  SUPER DUPER easy and tasty!

Just combine . . .

• 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/8 cups powdered milk

. . . in a saucepan, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook until thick about 15 to 20 minutes.  Looked and tasted just like the stuff I buy in the can!

I’m not sure if this is a huge MONEY saver…but it sure is nice to know you can make in a pinch without having to run to the store.

Now, most NORMAL people would just chalk the whole Soda Pop ice cream experiment up to experience and move on. Not yours truly! I, of course, couldn’t let it go. I had to try again!

Thankfully…this time my relentlessness paid off! In a flash of brilliance I decided to try Rootbeer…not even thinking about the Rootbeer Freezes of my youth.

This time, however, I did things a little differently. I cut the original “recipe” in half. I used 1 liter of soda and 14 oz. (equivalent to one can of Sweetened Condensed Milk you would buy at the store). I also mixed the soda and the SCM in a bowl FIRST before pouring into the ice cream maker. This got rid of most of the bubbles that contributed to the huge sticky mess I had ended up with the night before.

FYI….if you don’t have an ice cream maker…try this “Refrigerator – Freezer method”:

Combine the ingredients in a large bowl; Turn into 13×9 inch baking pan; Freeze to a firm mush, about 1 hour; Break into pieces and turn into a large mixing bowl; Beat until smooth, then return to the pan, and cover; Freeze until firm.

It worked beautifully!  And in about 25 minutes I had this frozen concoction that was every bit as good as I remember the  Tastee Freez treat of my youth being.

Not only did I get to enjoy a sweet TREAT….but a sweet MEMORY as well. :-)

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest4,813Google+1

Comments

1. Mary Malone says

I don’t have an ice cream maker but I wish I did. But I bet the diet AW rootbeer would be just as good as it is in a diet root beer float making this a lower cal treat. I learn something every day here!

Mary…..I found this “Refrigerator – Freezer method”. Might be worth a try? :-)

Combine the ingredients in a large bowl.
      Turn into 13×9 inch baking pan.
      Freeze to a firm mush, about 1 hour.
      Break into pieces and turn into a large mixing bowl.
      Beat until smooth, then return to the pan, and cover.
      Freeze until firm.

• Sheila says

I wonder if the baggie method would work for this………

Pour ingredients into a zippered sandwich bag
        fill a gallon size zipper bag half full with ice
        pour 2 tbs salt over ice place the sandwich baggie inside gallon baggie zip and gently aggitate (squish around) until frozen about 5- 10 minutes. I have made ice cream this way with the kids so I do not see why this wouldn’t work also going to try it tomorrow

2. Nancy says

I remember the chocolate dipped cones. We would eat them in the park across the street. At one time I lived right across the street from that park.

My new mission is to find a way to make this dairy-free…if I’m ever successful, I’ll let you know. The final product looks DELICIOUS!!

• Mama Pickles says

We make our dairy free ice cream with canned coconut milk. I think I’m going to try it out with that first.

Were you able to find a recipe where it didn’t get icy? That’s the trouble I’ve been having with the coconut milk, though the taste of it comes out great!

• Mama Pickles says

Do you use coconut milk drink like So Delicious or Silk, do you use canned coconut milk like Thai Kitchen or Trader Joe’s? I’ve found it is much, much creamier when you use canned. I am trying this tonight and will let you know.

I’m using the Thai Kitchen stuff…no low-fat. Are you using the entire contents of the can, or do you just use the cream part?

4. kris says

I wonder if it would work with yogurt? Do you like your Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker? It looks good I think I want one of those… Kris

Kris….I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my ice cream maker! I bought it as a Mother’s Day present for myself….and I can’t stop using it!

Here is my other favorite “recipe” for it:
      PEACH FROZEN YOGURT
      1 can peaches with the juice
      2 cups vanilla yogurt (I use Honey Flavored Greek Yogurt)
      1/3 cup sugar
      Mix together in blender, then pour in ice cream maker! DELICIOUS!!!!!

5. Lindsy says

No way! This sounds so good coming from a root beer and burch beer household! I also love the recipe for scm since it is one thing that we either run out of (used in ice coffes daily) or its expired when I do need it and I dont want to mess with exp dairy even if it is in a can. We will def be trying this out! Thank you!

The original recipe was 2 liters of soda and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. When you cut the recipe in half, you still used a whole can of sweetened condensed milk? Was it too sweet? Just trying to figure out the ratios here for the best result.

ahhh…good question Amber. I looked at several other similar recipes after my first FAIL with this recipe….and most of them called for TWO 14 oz cans with a 2-liter bottle of soda. So I went with that when I was cutting the recipe in half. Does that make sense?
      Anyway…to answer your question…it was sweet….but not TOO sweet. :-) Loved it!!!

7. Kathleen says

Thanks for the recipe! I grew up going to that same Tastee Freeze and was sad when they closed it. I am back in my old neighborhood – small world indeed.

8. Demaroge says

Jillee ~ My Grandparents live in Long Beach…and I have been to that Tastee Freez A LOT! That is just crazy…. :)

I remember thinking that they spelled their sign wrong! LOL

Demaroge….that is CRAZY, crazy! :-) I always thought the same thing about how they spelled Freez! It always confused me. lol!