DIY: Homemade Granite Cleaner

I have had several people ask me about a homemade granite cleaner solution. Apparently you can’t just spray any old cleaner on granite or you could very likely damage some very expensive countertops!

Marble, granite, and stone do NOT like having acidic (ie: citrus-based) cleaners used on them. Citrus or vinegar will actually cause “etching” on granite countertops. Not a good thing.

Granite countertops also don’t like it when you use something like Windex on them because it strips the “seal” off of the stone.

So what does that leave us???  Water? Well, yes and no. Even water is problematic because, by itself, it will leave streaks. BUT, add a little rubbing alcohol (or regular alcohol, like vodka) and a drop or two of some kind of soap…and you’re in business!

granite cleaner

Apparently there are some very nice countertop/granite cleaners out there that do a great job…but $7.00 for a 12-ounce bottle? We can do better than that! :-)

After researching several homemade options out there…I discovered they all had the same basic ingredients…just in varying amounts. Some had a LOT of alcohol in them…some very little. I think the following “recipe” has a good balance of the ingredients, based on the information I read.

Homemade Granite Cleaner

1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol (or cheap vodka)
3 drops of Dawn or other dish soap (Castile soap would also be a good alternative if you prefer)
Water
5-10 drops essential oil (optional – to help mask the alcohol smell)

Put the rubbing alcohol or vodka into a 16 oz spray bottle. Add the dish soap, essential oil and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.

Now give it a few shakes….THEN give it a try!  It should give your countertops a nice, clean shine. Works on appliances too! All at a FRACTION of the price of the store-bought stuff.

Let me know how it works for you! I’m filing this away for when I get my own granite countertops….someday. ;-)

Share on Facebook656Tweet about this on Twitter21Pin on Pinterest17,642Google+5

Comments

1. Nicole says

How about the wintergreen rubbing alcohol? The minty-ness already masks the alcohol smell!

2. Megan Verhoeven says

Jillee – you rock!!!!!! Just made this up and it is the BEST!!! I’ve been looking for this recipe for ages – and just couldn’t make up my mind which one to try, so thanks for doing all the work for us!!! My counter is sparkling – which makes for a happy morning!!!(I know – I’m easy to make happy) I didn’t even add the essential oil – the smell goes pretty quickly.
    Thanks again

3. Jo says

Hi Jillee! Does this work well on stainless steel? I’m having a BLEEP of a time cleaning my refrigerator doors. It’s driving me nuts!

4. Judy says

This great! Do you have a recipe for a travertine floor cleaner? I am desperate for one!

5. Deb says

Jillee, unfortunately, I am in the same granite-less boat as you :( Hopefully, soon, right?
    However, I have been using just plain rubbing alcohol for years to clean in my kitchen (stove top, counters, refrigerator handles, etc.) and bathrooms (countertops, toilets-eek! etc.) as well as doorknobs and other non-painted surfaces. It does a good job wiping up minor messes, leaves NO streaks, kills germs (at least I feel like it does) and the smell dissipates quickly. Your idea to add water and soap will likely stretch the small price paid for the alcohol, but if you are in a hurry, I put a spray handle right on the alcohol bottle and go!
    Thanks!

6. lifeishappy says

YES! Just tried this formula and it is awesome! I also sprayed it on my stainless steel appliances and it left them shining without streaks! I am so excited for a super affordable kitchen cleaner! Thank you!!!

7. penny says

it worked great!!! I didn’t use the essential oil but the smell goes away quickly.

1. […] The only exceptions I have found are granite and televisions. For my tv screens I use a microfiber cloth and will add a drop or two of water to the cloth if there are any marks that need removed. Because of the acidity in the vinegar, I wouldn’t use this on granite or marble. A natural recipe for granite cleaner can be found here. […]