Homemade Remedies For Pets Using Essential Oils

homemade remedies for pets

Last week I appeared on a local talk show and shared ideas for beauty products that come from your kitchen cupboard! I also shared a new source for AFFORDABLE essential oils (SparkNaturals.com) that I am SO excited about I can hardly stand it! Now I can indulge in my love of essential oils as much as I want because I’m not afraid of running out! I’m also learning so much more about all the different ways essential oils can be used….far beyond anything I had imagined!

For example, after the show was over I was chatting with the floor director of the show about essential oils and she said that she even uses them on her dog! Really? This was honestly the first time I’d heard of using them on or four-legged friends. She said that last year on the Fourth of July she decided to rub some lavender on her dog’s ears and head before the fireworks started because the “sounds of freedom” usually made her dog go crazy! Apparently the difference was pretty remarkable. Instead of running around like his tail was on fire…she said he was MUCH calmer and endured the whole ordeal without a pet freak-out. Amazing.

spark naturals lavender

The next day I did a blog post about Spark Naturals essential oils and how excited I was to find high quality oils, for a price that made them accessible to more people! MANY of you commented both here on the website and on the One Good Thing By Jillee Facebook page that you were excited to finally be able to afford to give essential oils a try and some of you actually asked about using them on pets. Makes sense….they ARE part of the family after all! :-)

Well, I didn’t really have a whole lot of answers at the time…but since then I have been doing a fair amount of research on this topic and have come up with a handful of pet remedies using essential oils that I think those of you with pets will be interested in. Including some I found on my sister’s website – Camp Wander! (Apparently great minds think alike! lol)

Essential Oil Remedies for Your Pets

Homemade Flea Repellant

Spray

Mix 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil with 1-2 ounces of mild, organic soap and water. Pour into a spray bottle and spray your pet periodically throughout the day.

Essential oil formulations will need to be applied more frequently than synthetic pesticides, but the benefits far outweigh the exposure to harsh chemicals and toxic side effects. They are great for misting your dog’s legs (and your own) any time that you go out where fleas would be likely to be found.

Shampoo

12 ounces water
1 tablespoons of castile soap
2 drops of peppermint essential oil
2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
2 drops of lavender essential oil
2 drops of rosemary essential oil

(If you don’t have all the oils listed, don’t worry, just use what you have.) Combine in a jar. Shake well. Lather and rinse well.

For a “soothing” version, add replace 2 ounces of the water with 2 ounces aloe vera.

Collar

Option 1.) Make your own flea collar by taking an average collar and adding some drops of essential oil mixed with 2 tablespoons of almond oil (use dilute solutions when applying to cats as they can be very sensitive to essential oils). Some great flea-repelling essential oil options include cinnamon, rosemary, wormwood, clove, peppermint, and cedar wood.

Allow the collar to dry and then place it on your pet. It’s time to re-dose your pet’s collar when you no longer note the scent, generally every two weeks or so.

Option 2.) Buy a cotton scarf or bandana, or use a piece of scrap cotton fabric that will fit around your dog’s neck comfortably.

Lay the fabric flat, and place 10 drops of cedar essential oil and 10 drops of lavender essential oil on the fabric. Distribute the essential oil drops evenly over the fabric surface. Other essential oils that repel fleas (and ticks and mosquitoes) include eucalyptus, citronella, rose, geranium, peppermint, lemongrass.

Fold or roll the fabric, and tie it round your dog’s neck snugly.

Ear Infection Inflammation

Apply Peppermint Essential Oil along the ear line, on the outside of the ear (never internally, because it would burn the tender ear canal), applied over the fur down the tube of the ear from the outside.

Soothing Dogs Paw Pads

Dogs who walk on concrete will get rough and dry paw pads. Sometimes the paw pads will crack and can bleed or get infected. To help prevent this, Melaleuca can be applied directly to paw pads to soothe the dryness and fight infection. Don’t over oil the paw pads, because some roughness is required for the dog to have traction.

Soothe Your Dog’s Skin

Just like people, dogs often get dry and itchy skin. Soothe minor skin irritations by mixing 2 Tbsp. of almond or coconut oil and 10 drops of Lavender essential oil. Massage the oil mixture into skin irritations to help reduce itch, kill bacteria and even calm nerves.

Doggie Smells Deodorizer

Ensure that you never hear that your home smells like dog again, by using bergamot oil, a natural deodorizer, two or three times a week on your sweet, yet not so sweet smelling pets. Once again, mix 10-15 drops of bergamot with 8 ounces water and apply a light spritz when needed.

Calming Mist For Dogs

10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
8 oz. of purified water or distilled

Measure essential oil into an empty and clean 8-oz spray mist bottle. Add the water until it is filled. Put on cap and shake well before each use. Spray around the dog and even on its coat since Lavender is a good essential oil to repel mosquitos and fleas. This is great for use in a car with a nervous dog or at any time your dog is over-energized.

Dog Burns

Cool the burn with a cold water compress and then apply Lavender Essential Oil as soon as possible.

Dog Abscess

Clean the wound area and apply Melaleuca directly on the abscess. Continue to apply several times a day. When the pus is gone, you can use Lavender Oil to speed healing.

Doggie Tummy Troubles

Whether it is constipation, dog motion sickness or they just ate something they shouldn’t have….just place one or two drops of Peppermint, Ginger, Tarragon, or Lemongrass Essential Oils on their paw. May also be rubbed on their stomach.

Note about Cats:

Cats are more sensitive to essential oils since they metabolize the oils differently. They are sensitive to strong odors and they generally have an adverse reaction to citrus oils. It is a good idea to consult with a veterinarian before applying oils to a cat.

I hope some of these ideas have opened your eyes to the world of possibilities that are out there for essential oils. I know they’ve opened mine!

Have you used essential oils on the family pet?

Share your experience with us!

If you would like to order essential oils from Spark Naturals, here is a link to their website. If you’d like to save an additional 10% off when you order…use the coupon code JILLEE.    :-)

Share on Facebook584Tweet about this on Twitter20Pin on Pinterest13,365Google+10

Comments

1. June says

Citrus oils can be used to deter cats from scratching or spraying urine on your furniture. Mix a few drops with water and spray onto the area you want to prevent the cat from using, you might want to do a spot check on fabrics first. NEVER spray it onto or at the cat!
    Citrus peel works well in the garden too, leave it where the neighbours cat (or yours) does its business and it will soon find somewhere else to go.

2. Patricia Lucado says

I love this article. I always remember when using oils on my dogs that they can smell things we can not. Therefore i always dilute with a fractionated coconut oil or water and apply sparingly. They will smell it long after we do not.

3. kerligirl says

I have read that essential oils shouldnt be used with cats at all. It isn’t only that they are more sensitive to smells, but that the oils are actually toxic to them. Be careful.

• Dee S. says

Yes! I have read the same thing. Do your homework before using oils on cats! They are VERY DIFFERENT from dogs how they metabolize everything!

4. Brenda says

I used tea tree on our St. Bernards ears for ear infection. Seems to have helped

5. Mora says

Thanks for the great ideas, I’m always looking for new ways to help our four legged members of the family. Made my first order from Spark yesterday! Looking forward to trying EO’s out!

6. Cyndee Baldwin says

Your sister has me using frankinsense for my dogs seizures. One drop on each paw he comes right out of it

7. Lee says

Please, we need more CAT info
    Cats are our fur babies too
    and deserve as much love and care.

• KD says

If you care for your cats, do not use essential oils on them. Many oils will kill them by either suffocating them, or shutting down their liver or kidneys. It’s a good idea to not even use them in your house if you have a cat.

As a certified veterinary technician, I would exercise extreme caution when using essential oils with any animal, especially cats. While I am very open to the use of complementary medicine, such as acupuncture, chiropractic, laser therapy, etc., it is advisable to consult with a veterinary professional, preferably a DVM or VMD, before using any essential oil in any concentration on your pet. Some essential oils do have antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, but that does mean they should be applied to open wounds, and they may not be an adequate substitute for prescribed medications. While certain oils can be very therapeutic and helpful, they can also do harm. Remember, just because a product is natural, does not mean it is safe.

Cats are exquisitely sensitive to toxins that would not have the same effect on humans or dogs. Their livers cannot process toxins the way ours can, and some of the chemical constituents of oils, such as terpenes, phenols, and ketones, are no exception. The effects of these can show up immediately, or can take years to damage internal organs, such as the liver and kidneys.

Birds should never be exposed to oils, whether topically or in the air due to their extreme sensitivity. Even a drop of essential oil can be enough to kill a bird.

Please, please, please consult with a veterinary professional before the use of any alternative treatment, and by all means, never resort to your medicine cabinet for your pet. What you may give your animal at home will possibly limit what a veterinarian can give to your pet, and even the smallest amount of some human medications can be enough to poison you animal or worse. Signs of toxicity to look for in animals can include ataxia (lack of control of voluntary muscle movement), in-coordination, seizures, weakness, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea or depression.

We all love our pets, and would do anything to help them live longer, healthier lives. Please see your veterinary professionals as people willing to be open to help you in any way possible.

• Sherry says

Well put Cynthia! I am a LVT and as I read the post I kept waiting for some sort of disclaimer about caution/ask your vet/etc. like most posts get about the poster not being a doctor and that this should not be used in place of medical advice, but it never quite got there for the dogs… I especially worry about people’s use of melaleuca, and the fact that toxic exposure can be cumulative as with people giving their pets grapes. I also am a fan of complimentary medicine and use quite a bit of essential oils for myself, but I definitely would not advise the use of EOs on pets without consulting with a vet first.

• Bernita says

I live in Dayton Ohio. Where can I find a vet familiar with essential oils for pets? My 10 year old Shih Tzhu is constantly licking his paws and throws up hair balls. and my 14 year old Poodle/Bichon suffers from separation anxiety, even when I am in the house she constantly follws me around.

I don’t know much about the EO’s but as far as the paw licking that sounds like a grain allergy. The big pet stores don’t carry grain free (not much profit) but its what’s the best. Science diet has grains too please don’t be fooled. Some grain free brands you may check out are: Fromm, Orijen, Taste of the Wild.

My husband owns a pet store and is a dog food expert I asked him about your ShihTzu and he suggests Fromm Surf and Turf or Fromm Beef Frittata. Good luck.

• Debbi Higgins says

True, but the “THREAT” is diminished, if not vacated, when using PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OILS. Many vets are now incorporating these precious oils to their protocol, as are Major Hospitals, Hospices, etc., in their care of humans. It only takes a moment to discover oils, they are using. There are many EO companies on the market, and many fine oils to use for various applications, but ONLY “PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE OILS” are safe when using on your own body, as well as those of your pets. USE caution when using anything other than PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE. Do you know that any company can tout being an essential oil, with as little as 5% of the actual oil in it? Did you know that a product touting ORGANIC, does not equal PURE? Sure, PURE costs more, but it goes a lot further as well. You will always have to use more of a product that is not pure, but additionally, you can cause great harm.

• Jennifer T says

I put EO in baking soda as a carpet powder before vacuuming. I also mix a bit in water to use as a room spray. Our cat & dogs don’t get any of the spray falling on them (I never spray in the direction of the cat or the dogs) and I don’t let any of them walk through the carpet treatment. Is it safe to use EO in these ways with pets in the house where the EO can be airborne but not in direct contact with them? I just worry about the chemicals in commercial products & thought this was a better alternative. But I don’t want to make my pets sick.

• Leslie says

Because you have pets, you should not use essential oils on your carpet or furniture or even in ways that will have the oils airborne. For instance, some of the oils may remain on the carpet, and even a little can cause a problem. It’s hard sometimes to keep up with all the information to take care of our animals.

• Debbi Higgins says

Great article. I agree that cost can be an issue in taking care of our pets, as well as ourselves. Having said that, unless we are using PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE OILS, and the products we are using from home are organic, we are spinning our wheels, as we are exposing our pets to all sorts of potential health issues. I only know of ONE company, that produces, Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils, and been allowed to say so, on their packaging! <3

9. Candy says

i used to raise Rat Terriers, and still own several. While they are wonderful family pets, they can be high strung at times. I’m excited to find Lavender might calm them , citrus might help my boys not mark my dirty clothes hamper EVERY time they pass, AND ill try frankensence on my Baby Girl who has a sezure every few months. I am especially interested in the repelling of fleas and ticks ideas. Not only are the “other methods” full of chemicals I don’t want around my dogs OR my family…. With 6 indoor/outdoor babies to treat, I spent a small fortune over the years keeping them pest free. I ordered my Sparks oils yesterday, and incrediabilly…. Ordered at least one of the oils you mentioned for each of the above issues……..blindly! PTL!!! With the coupon, my order was less than 100 dollars! ONE pkg of tick/flea/ mosquito repellant drops was 85! I feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me through you Jill, and Rebecca, and Dori!! We the fans, eagerly read your blogs/FB page posts daily! Thank you all!!!

I love reading all the info about eo’s. Just getting started and am constantly amazed by the uses. I wish I had known about all this 20 or 30 years ago. Such a better lifestyle and I think alot of health issues could have been avoided or minimized. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.