15-Minute Father’s Day Sock Bouquet

sock bouquet

Last Tuesday I told you not to panic if you didn’t have a Father’s Day gift in mind because it was still almost two weeks away!  Well today I’m here to tell you…it’s time to START PANICKING because Father’s Day is just TWO DAYS away (well, ONE if you don’t count today!)

Just kidding….it IS Father’s Day on Sunday, but you DON’T have to panic because I have the cutest, easiest idea for a truly USEFUL Father’s Day gift!   SOCKS!

I know, I know…socks don’t SOUND very “cute”…but the way Heather at HowDoesShe.com came up with presenting this practical gift is so adorable even DAD will have to be impressed! :-)

Besides, it’s hard to beat the combination of cute, practical and EASY to make!

sock bouquet

All you need is a package of at leasts 6 pairs of socks (enough to make a dozen “roses”) in whatever colors your Dad needs/wants/likes. My bouquet ended up being made up of the very rare “black rose”. :-)

You’ll also need some safety pins, some skewers, and a vase of some sort.

Now it’s time to get rolling!

sock bouquet

Start by laying one sock out flat, and then fold it over once at the bend in the sock, like shown above.

sock bouquet

Begin rolling on the “open” end.

sock bouquet

Keep the roll tight as you move along.

sock bouquet

Keep rolling until you get to the toe of the sock, then safety pin it closed.

Repeat 11 more times.

sock bouquet

The first sock flower took me a couple of minutes to get the hang of, but after that I was rolling those babies at lightning speed! I had a complete bouquet done in under 10 minutes.

sock bouquet

It took MAYBE another 5 minutes to stick the skewers in each flower and arrange them in the vase. 15 minutes and I was done!

sock bouquet

A ribbon to make it “fancy” is highly recommended (Hey…Dad’s appreciate finishing touches too), but definitely not required. :-)

Prepare to be amazed when Dad gets a load of this year’s present!

sock bouquet

Photos by Anna Gleave

True confession time….how many women wear your man’s socks? :-)

Facebook65Twitter7Pinterest960Google+0

Comments

1. Linda F says

LOL… I am just imagining the Thrill- the Excitement- on Dad’s face when he is gifted with this highly functional and unusual bouquet!?!?!?!!? (I’ve seen it done w/ women’s panties, but not socks) Fun, fun, FUN!

Nope, can’t/won’t wear his socks! Too big, toooo ummmm stained!

2. Christy says

This is something my father and father-in-law will enjoy. It is always difficult to find something to get my father-in-law for he is in a long-term care facility and has MS. This would bring a smile to his face, my own dad as well would think it is a cleaver idea.. thanks Jillee

Bingo! Thanks! My husband just told me the other day that he cant find any of his short sox anymore. What every happened to them? I must admit I am the guilty party who throws away the ones with holey heels! It will be a “white roses” sock bouquet but I think it will work!

4. Lisa R says

Love the idea! Who doesn’t need more socks. And, yes, I do wear men’s socks sometimes, just not my man’s socks; I buy my own. They are so much more substantial than women’s socks and often a lot cheaper.

5. Michele says

This idea has a plethora of possibilities. Baby socks for a baby shower…colorful socks for a tween girl..even socks for my grown daughters or a fun gift at a bridal shower. Once again Jillee, thanks!

6. Melida says

What a cute and clever idea. I love practicle gifts. I wear my husband’s socks so much that he gave me them and bouht brand new ones in a different color for himself. :) Mens socks seem to be warmer and much longer, keeping my legs from getting cold.

7. Almarie says

I have big feet, so I generally only buy mens socks for myself , especially since they are not on the ankle or on the knees like most womens socks. And the mens socks aren’t all that thick.

8. Abigail says

NEVER wear his socks, he has a size 13 foot!!!! I do however wear his boxer briefs as workout shorts (in the house only).

I have done this idea with pink/purple socks for my mom for her birthday and filled the bottom of the vase with glass marbles, it was pretty!

9. Kristi says

GREAT IDEA! Have been struggling to think of something different that wouldn’t break the bank for my Dad, the “Man who has everything” sometimes it’s so hard but I have now been saved! That and a bag of jerky or can of nuts will make his day! jk, Ha! Ha! …but it will certainly help, Thanks Bunches Jillee!

10. Kay says

I won’t be celebrating Father’s Day this year….. I’m thinking this will be a good two-year wedding anniversary gift. Thanks for sharing, I’ve been trying to find something neat!

11. Beth says

I love mens socks, thicker and sturdier and usually without nasty seams to hurt my toes. Hubby is now needing the extra width of diabetic socks, broken ankle years ago has made his already wide feet really wide. I found some he loves and he only has 4 pair so far, once he gets this bouquet, I will inherit a full drawer of his old smaller socks, lol.

12. Gloria W says

Another great idea.I was thinking of rolling them around ball point pens or pencils and placing in a covered can or jar. I don’t think my hubby would appreciate a vase [ though I would ].

13. STACEY says

My daughter “helped” me and with three roses we made them black and white, the rest were solid white or black and we used gravel (to hold the roses where we wanted them} finished it off with a beige bow……..absolutely gorgeous bunch of sock roses……Aimee (my daughter) will be posting a picture on your facebook page………as always a wonderful idea……

14. cty says

Thanks for the post. These look great! I think argyle would be really cool. I made a bouquet of tulips for my DIL’s baby shower– I bought a bouquet of silk flowers & took off the flower heads & just stuck the tulip socks on the wire. The baby socks looked really cute because they were so small & made a very dainty bouquet. Chose some solid and some patterned socks–both worked well.

I don’t wear his socks because they bunch at the heel– but my two favorite very durable and manlike socks (but with a woman’s fit) come from ladies LL Bean hiking socks or Smart Wool ladies. I’ve had these socks for 6 years now.

15. Judy says

I don’t wear “his” sock, but I buy my own stash of men’s socks because I have gigantic feet. The women’s “size 4-10″ are a joke for my feet, and extra-large/tall women’s socks are super expensive.

I confess…my feet are so big and WIDE, I wear men’s athletic shoes, too. You’d never know it by looking. They are all styled the same now days.

16. Cynthia says

This is simply adorable and will be practical but a good laugh. Wish I’d had this for my fiancees birthday! I never know what to buy him. Men are too hard to buy for!
    No, I don’t wear my honey’s socks. His feet are way too big for his socks to be comfy for me. However, he ordered some socks from Snap-On and he liked them so much, he ordered a couple of pairs for me. They are the thickest and comfiest socks I’ve ever worn! They are super warm in the winter and great for walking long distances because they are so cushy.