Make Your Own Gardener’s Hand Scrub! {Best of Jillee}

Gardener's Hand Scrub

Welcome to “Best of Jillee Week”!

As many of you may know, I am in the middle of writing a book that is scheduled to come out next Mother’s Day. Sounds like a long way away huh? Well, in the publishing world that is like right around the corner! :-) The deadline for the manuscript to be finished is September 1st!  And get this…September 1st is only 10 weeks away! Plus, in 8 weeks my daughter is getting married! Needless to say I have a lot on my plate.

“Best of Jillee Week” was created to serve two purposes: To give me some much-needed breathing room to write, but more importantly, to re-introduce the top viewed pages of all time to those who weren’t around when they were first posted!

BOJW-banner

We are thrilled to be joined by the good people at Lowe’s who are sponsoring this week by giving away $50 Gift Certificates today through Thursday and a GRAND PRIZE on Friday!

Yep, one lucky reader is going to win a new WASHER and DRYER!! (I feel like Monty Hall from Let’s Make A Deal!!  Uh oh…dating myself here!)  :-)

Check back tomorrow for Day Two of Best of Jillee Week to find out more details about the GRAND PRIZE!

Let’s get started shall we???

ogt line

Originally posted on March 16, 2012, Gardener’s Hand Scrub, has received (as of today) 1,237,688+ Pageviews;  822,000+ Pins; and 1,600+ Facebook Likes! :-)

I love a great idea that is both useful for my home AND something that would make a great GIFT!

This “Gardener’s Hand Scrub” fits the bill PERFECTLY!

Kate at The Gaines Gang made these as end of the year Teacher Gifts…but this would make a wonderful gift to just about ANYONE who does any gardening at all!

Gardener's Hand Scrub

I used two different sizes of Ball jars, the 8 oz. and the 12 oz., and filled them 3/4 full of sugar.

Gardener's Hand Scrub

I then added Dawn dish soap (the pink kind with with Olay Beauty Hand Renewal in it) until it reached just below the bottom of the mouth of the jar.

Gardener's Hand Scrub

Stir the sugar and soap together….adding sugar a little at a time until it’s a paste-like consistency. You don’t want it to be too runny!

It smells SO good and the light pink color it makes when mixed with the white sugar is SO pretty. :-)

Gardener's Hand Scrub

I added a round label and I THOUGHT about printing out a cute instruction label too…but didn’t quite get around to it.  Yet.

But a label could include the instructions: To wash the dirt off your hands, use a small amount and rub. The sugar works like an abrasive to remove the dirt, and the soap washes it all away.

————————–

UPDATE:   Since I have been potting (a LOT) of flowers this week….I have used a LOT of this scrub!  And I had to come back and give an update on how much I LOVE IT!  It is SO great at getting my hands CLEAN and it makes them feel so soft!!!

If you do much gardening (or really ANY greasy/grimy activity)….I highly recommend whipping up a batch!  You won’t be sorry! :-)

Gardener's Hand Scrub

ogt line

Facebook190Twitter12Pinterest2640Google+0

Comments

I, too have used vinegar to enhance my washing. My son is a chef, needless to say his chef coats and under shirts are stained by foods, grease, and anything else you find in a restaurant kitchen. The vinegar treats the smell and softens the clothes.

1. JR says

Hi Jillee,
    My favorite homemade beauty product is the homemade lotion. It smells so good! I go one step farther when I make it though and add some sunscreen lotion to it. In keeping with the baby smell, I use the kind for babies that is SPF 50. It’s perfect for Florida!

2. Lauren H says

My favorite homemade beauty/health would be witch hazel. I don’t know if it counts as “homemade” or not, since I didn’t grow the plant and extract the liquid myself… but I use that stuff for everything! From my acne on my face/chest/back, to aftershave! Love that stuff!

3. Melissa says

I absolutely LOVE this stuff! My handy hubby even uses it after working in the garage…he says it works better than that orange goopy stuff from automotive stores. It also works amazing on dirty flip flop feet :)
    My favorite homemade beauty tip…exfoliating face scrub with baking soda and water!

4. christine says

I love love love making my own laundry soap. Thank you so much for showing me how. I have gotten several of my friends making it now also. With 3 boys and 1 girl who plays like a boy I do alot of laundry. My clothes come out cleaner and better smeeling than with store brands. Also it is green for the enviroment so we can use the water in the garden. Thank you Thank you…..

5. Rosemary S says

I like to use coconut oil on my face at night time…wash my face and then apply a very thin amount of coconut oil. It leaves my skin so soft. I splash water on my face in the AM and apply my regular face lotion/sunscreen for the day.

I also like to make the liquid laundry detergent…works great! And I use vinegar for the softner.

I “liked” Jillee’s one good thing page and have also “liked” Lowe’s FB page.

Thanks for all you do.

• silverdust says

Since this dish detergent isn’t available down under, I’d recommend one that’s marketed to be especially kind to hands. The one Jillee picked is, as it’s a product tie-in with Oil of Olay beauty lotions.

6. Tammy says

Only one!?!?!?! I love so many of my homemade products! From laundry soap to doggy opps remover. My Favorite beauty product is still probably my body sugar scrub. Nothing works better for a quick pick me up and leaves me feeling soft and smooth head to toe. (My husband loves it too)

7. Migdalah says

Both pages liked :)

My favorite home made product is coconut oil. I use it as a moisturizer, to wash my face, condition my hair and mixed with Zinc Oxide cream for skin irritations and also as my daughters diaper cream.

8. Donna Braamse says

I made some of this Gardener’s Hand Scrub and even my husband likes it! I really want to try the DIY Mcrodermabrasion I found on CampWander and the Oil Clensing Method.

Hi Jillee.
    Hands down I love the gardeners’ sugar scrub.
    I’m in the garden a lot, and my hands need a good scrubbing afterwards.
    It would be a fabulous gift to give and get.
    Thanks so much Jillee!