Things You Can { And CAN’T } Make In A Waffle Iron!

Things You Can Make In A Waffle Iron

Ever since I tried making bacon in the waffle iron (which was a huge success!)…I’ve been intrigued whenever I see a new idea to try! Who knew waffle irons could be so versatile!? Since I didn’t want to devote an entire DAY to this project, I picked out 5 of my favorite ideas and decided to put them to the test. Let’s just say the day turned out to be MOSTLY successful. :-)

Allow me to show you why….

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

First of all, let’s just get the FAILS out of the way.

Now, I have seen plenty of pictures of wonderful-looking waffle cookies and brownies on the internet…but for some reason, no matter how much I WANTED them to work…I just couldn’t do it. I tried a couple of times on different types of waffle irons at different temperatures…but nope. Those babies stuck and burnt everytime! I know…so sad.

But don’t despair! Because the THREE OTHER ideas that DID work were what I would consider stunning successes!

First we tried pizza! You can use your favorite homemade dough or you can do like I did and just buy the kind in the cardboard can (that scares the living daylights out of you when you open it!)

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

Make sure your waffle iron is hot and simply spread your pizza dough out and close the lid. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then just to ensure a little more even cooking overall I gave mine a flip and cooked it another couple of minutes.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

After that I added some pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and turkey pepperoni and left it on the iron (with the lid up!) until the cheese melted. Of course you could just slide the pizza onto a cookie sheet and stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes as well. But since I was trying to keep it to as few steps as possible I did it this way.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

This was good pizza! I kept nibbling on it all evening.

The other surprising success I experienced using the waffle iron was Cinnamon Rolls!  Once again I utilized the dough from the scary cardboard can. I’m not sure how homemade dough would work in the waffle iron, but if you try it out, make sure to let me know.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

I put 4 cinnamon rolls on the iron (one in each square) and closed the lid. Again, it only took 2 to 4 minutes for the cinnamon rolls to become nice and brown on the outside, yet still tender on the inside. (Ignore the dark bits from the previous brownie catastrophe that were still stuck to the iron.)

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

I then put the little cup of frosting that comes with the cinnamon-rolls-in-a-can in the microwave for just a few seconds and then with a spoon drizzled it over the rolls.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

This is where Cinnamon Roll Waffles REALLY SHINE! You know those all those little indentations made by the waffle iron? They are perfect for holding the frosting! :-)  Major YUM factor here!  These got gobbled up in no time at my house.

Finally, my FAVORITE (and definitely EASIEST) thing to make in the waffle iron…..Hash Browns!

I am a disaster at making hash browns normally. Even the kind that come already pre-cooked and pre-shredded….I can never seem to get them evenly cooked.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

This method of putting a single layer of semi-thawed (you can also cook them frozen, mine had just been sitting out for awhile) “Tater Tots” on the waffle iron and pressing down for 3 to 4 minutes actually resulted in the best hash browns I have ever “made”. :-)

Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.

Things You Can Make In A Waffle Iron

Just the way I like them!

So, there you have the true tales of what you CAN and CAN’T make in a waffle iron….at least according to me. :-)

Things You Can Make In A Waffle Iron

Photos by Anna Gleave

Have you ever tried to make anything besides WAFFLES in your WAFFLE IRON?

Facebook374Twitter19Pinterest4174Google+12

Comments

1. Karen Nelson says

French toast! We use an egg mixture with vanilla, cinnamon, egg(or substitute or combo) milk and sliced sourdough… YUM!
    Like it so much better than in the skillet and those little squares hold your topping or syrup ever so nicely!

2. Elaine says

Doing french toast in the waffle iron is delicious! I especially like to use sourdough bread that I dip in a batter of milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and a little flour to help it stick to the waffle! Yum!

3. Shawn says

I have a very good friend who makes cookies and cakes in a waffle iron and they are always perfect. I sat right next to her, watched her like she was the last donut in the box and I hadn’t eaten in a week, and still couldn’t make either cakes or cookies in the waffle iron. Hers were perfect, mine burned, leaked, stuck and just about ruined my waffle iron. I gave up… I’ll just pay her to do it..:)

• Heather M says

“…watched her like she was the last donut in the box, and I hadn’t eaten in a week.”

OMGosh, that’s hilarious! I’m so using that….

Cake mixes are liquidy, but waffle mix isn’t…so maybe a pound cake recipe…or something thicker might work.

And FWIW, I tried cinnamon rolls, and they burned and nearly ruined my waffle maker. I think I needed to do them slower and lower. Good luck!

• Carol Moffitt says

I have a recipe for waffle cookies. They are thick like a brownie and I use a scoop to put one in each section of the waffle iron I time them for 2 min. take them out and icethem with fudge frosting which melts into the little squares of the waffle. They are my kids and grandkids favorite cookie

4. lovemybrice says

i created what we call “wafflettes”! (i say created bc i scoured hte internet to confirm my idea before i went ahead w/a big mess, and found nothing) mix 3 eggs together w/a splash of milk and seasoning if u want and pour it in the middle it’ll spread out (mine’s circle) cooked it for three minutes then served it w/a mini toppings bar! the kids loved deciding what to put in their (omelettes) sprinkle w/cheese and fold it over :) it was good and easy and is requested often!

5. Red Dirt Cabin says

I made what I call garbage can eggs in my waffle iron. I scrambled an egg in a bowl. Threw in some shredded hash browns, cheese, bacon bits, onions, and garlic salt and pepper. Make sure you spray both sides of the waffle iron with non stick spray. It was quick and yummy.

6. Pat says

Just remembering the cinnamon rolls that came in a cardboard can WITH icing!! Haven’t seen them here in Aust for years. Would love to try them in a waffle maker. Thanks for your site, Jillee. Just love all the great tips etc.

7. Jackie says

Those hash browns look smashing! (Ha!) And I never would have considered making pizza on a waffle iron. Isn’t it fun to experiment? ;)

I had more of a necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention dealie. My oven was out and I needed to make homemade, from scratch biscuits. I made up my biscuit dough as usual and then added enough extra milk to make a thick batter. My “Biffles” were great! I think I like them better than oven-baked.

I did have to make sure that my batter wasn’t too thin. Thin batter = oozing, sticky mess. Maybe that’s what happened with your brownies?

Thanks as usual, Jillee! :)

8. Jamie J. says

In college, I became a pro at cooking things in a waffle iron since we didn’t have kitchens in our dorm rooms. My faves were grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas! I also used to toast up peanut butter and banana sandwiches. My mom used to get so mad at me and my brother for making grilled cheese in her waffle iron, but it was (and still is!) the best! :)

9. Carolynn says

The brownies made with a brownie mix won’t work in a waffle iron! But I do have a recipe for Waffle Iron Brownies that I have made for years now & they are really yummy, quick and easy!

10. Janet Fiedler says

My favorite thing to make is cornbread waffles. Mix up your favorite box or scratch recipe. Add just a little extra milk to make it pourable. Cook on the waffle iron until it stops steaming. They’ll be soggy so cool then and throw them in the freezer. Take out what you need for a meal. Put them in the toaster and they’ll be crisp and tasty. We eat them as bread during the summer.

11. Joyce says

Cake mix! Any kind–mixed according to package directions. Be careful not to overfill waffle iron.
    Bake until steaming stops. Top with powdered sugar or whipped cream & fruit. Great for dessert or breakfast.

12. Hope Ingalls says

I do mix brownies in the waffle iron all the time! My favorite part are the crispy edges anyway, and this gives many crispy surfaces! I also do cake batter, and muffin batter. makes lots of nice browned edges and very portable.. You can mix a batch of batter up, but not have to cook it all, just the amount you want to eat. They all come out nice and hot and ready for a scoop of ice cream on top!

13. Alie says

If you use a jellyroll pan or other large flat baking sheet with a small lip under the waffle iron you’ll cut your clean up way down! We do this even when we are making regular waffles to keep all those drippy bits off the counter.
    I’m looking forward to some waffle-ironing!
    ~~Alie

14. Judy Ann says

I have also mixed up some cake batter to the thickness of waffle batter–therefore no runny mess. I cooked up the cake waffles and served the crisp cruncy delicious cake-waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. Best ever! No comparison to the cake and strawberries- The waffle made with cake mix is sooo much better. But…watch out–you will want seconds!

I can’t wait to try the cinnamon rolls…….

Thanks Jillee for all your wonderful inventive ideas.

15. Kim C says

You had me at pizza! My oven is currently waiting for a part to come in for it to be in working order
    again and my kids are dying (their words not mine) for homemade pizza! I know what we are having for lunch! I always have pizza ingredients on hand so they will be super excited! Thanks Jillee

16. Cathy says

I have been wanting to use my waffle maker for dog treats! I saw a commercial with that made them with something that looked like a waffle maker. I have to try that this weekend and see how it works….I am sure my pups will be excited to get a new type of treat!!!

17. Dani says

Home made cinnamon rolls rock in the waffle iron! Be sure to use plenty of non-stick cooking spray on both sides of the iron. That’s how I cook the scraggly ends… helps to satisfy the hovering children until the “pretties” are finished baking.
    I really enjoy your blog and advertise it often!

18. Carole says

Hi Jillee

Thanks a bunch for this post and all the comments. My waffle iron is way back in a closet. It will be back in use now…. There are so much great ideas. Thanks everyone.

19. Jessica says

I’ve never tried things other than waffles in my iron, but I have tried all kinds of different waffles. One of my personal favorites is sausage and cheddar cornbread waffles. Brown and drain the crumbled sausage. I use a box of Jiffy cornbread, a cup of whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, and buttermilk to make the batter. Fold in the sausage and shredded cheese then spoon onto a well oiled iron. Rosemary and sour cream waffles are also really good!

Those hashbrowns make me wonder how latkes would work…

20. Lygia McMillan says

You really crack me up sometimes! We are totally kindred spirits and I have notice that we like the same nail polish as well. Everytime I see your hands in a post, we are wearing the same polish.

21. Robin Anderson says

I tried the preshredded hasbrowns once and it was a disaster. WIll try the tots!

Had to laugh when you talked about the packaging – We call the carboard cans scarry biscuits around here since I am scared of them and make my husband open them.

22. Linda says

Can’t wait to try some of these ideas. I only make waffles in mine, who knew! I did come across a tip (Pinterest or somewhere) on how to clean your waffle iron. After you’re done cooking, unplug the iron. While still hot, take a damp washcloth, place inside the iron, put the lid down & hold. You have just steam cleaned the iron & all the little bits stick to the washcloth. Sorry Jillee, but the fail pics reminded me of this. It works great!

23. Stacey says

I think the key to whatever you make in the waffle iron is making sure it has plenty of fat or oil in the ingredients or sprayed onto the iron itself.
    If you google waffle iron cookies, you’ll find recipes or a brownie-like recipe that works well. I had a friend that made these for me over twenty years ago when we were in high school. I’ve also used one of the homemade brownie mixes that are popular on Pinterest in the waffle iron. The recipe I use is very thick, too thick so I always add some low fat vanilla yogurt to losen it up. It worked well in the iron but again, make sure to spray the iron well.
    I’ve tried the frozen shredded hash browns too but that didn’t work. I think it failed because I didn’t have much spray/butter in it. That’s probably why tator tots work well. They have a higher oil content than shredded hash browns.

24. CTY says

From both mixes and scratch I have done cakes, muffins, quick breads, fritters(ish) and the like. You just want to be sure the batter is not too thin ( if batter is too thick add an egg/milk). Serve each square hot with a scoop of ice cream. The cakes etc. are great when a whole cake is recipe is too much–I just freeze the extras. I have had mixed results with brownies–stay away from the fudge/gooey recipes.

Hot Dogs work if you slice them lengthwise first. Always thought about doing breaded thick sliced green tomatoes/zucchini.
    What a fun post1

25. MARCIA says

I recently gave my waffle iron to my mother since I hardly ever used it! But I do use, and love, my George Foreman grill that makes fantastic grilled cheese sandwiches ( I always burn them in a pan.) I will have to try the cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, and bacon! Can’t wait to try the cleaning method with the wet washcloth while it’s still warm, bet that’ll be a hit.

26. Connie says

You are amazing! how easy it is to use a waffle iron for a quick snack or side dish. May I make one suggestion to those who want to go out and get a waffle iron? visit your local thrift store. You can ALMOST always find a waffle iron or other small counter top appliance.

27. Cyndi says

Corn bread! Made it from a pouch only added a little extra water. Covered the waffle with homemade crockpot chili. Nice bonus, my toddler could eat them without corn bread crumbles everywhere.

28. Catherine's not naturally crafty says

Well this is just genius! especially for here in those parts of the south where it is already slightly hotter than the surface of the sun. The thought of heating up the oven for cinnamon rolls or bacon or anything just grosses me out. So, here’s to dinner in the wafflemaker. FYI I finally found a black and decker version that has the square ordinary sized waffles on one side and a flat griddle on the other. FAB! but I find that non-stick spray leaves a sticky residue. Must be the silicone. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you found to clean it off. I hate to scrub and wear off the non-stick coating and dad’gum all those little waffle holes are a booger to clean. Jillee, any magic solutions to safely clean non-stick stuck ons?

29. Stephanie Young says

You can also use cake mix (don’t know if someone else said that yet…53 comments ago). Mix it like you normally would and pour it in. I’ve done it multiple times and it was not only a success, but completely delicious. We got 5 whole waffles out of each mix which is 20 sections of waffle. Chocolate was our favorite with ice cream.

I make waffle iron brownies ALL THE TIME. The trick is that Jillee used WAY too much brownie mix!

I use a standard brownie recipe and I put exactly 1 ice cream scoop of mix in the middle of each waffle section. (we have the same waffle iron) They ALWAYS come out perfect!

31. silverdust says

For anyone searching for a used waffle maker, besides thrift shops, check eBay or other internet outlets. If you can find a Sunbeam, circa 1960s, grab it! I inherited my grandmother’s, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. If people only knew how fantastic that shiny silver (without non-stick coating!) works, they would’ve snatched it up immediately.

While I use cooking spray when I make the first batch of waffles, I don’t have to use it again, and I make double batches. There’s something about that bare metal that lets the waffles fall right off!

This old iron has a black FABRIC cord, and my hubby put a 3-prong adaptor on it (I kept getting zapped) and now we’re good to go!

You are so right! I had the “oldie” and gave it to the thrift shop.
      I bought a nice big fancy waffle iron with the non-stick….not so good.
      Seems like the waffles never really get crispy outside. Back to the
      thrift shop for me!!

32. Kala says

I’ve made the cinnamon rolls in a waffle iron before, so good and so much quicker that cooking them in the oven. My only issue was is the cinnamon from the rolls got all over the waffle iron and I’m still finding burn cinnamon in the holes.