Things You Can { And CAN’T } Make In A Waffle Iron!

Things You Can Make In A Waffle Iron

Ever since I tried making bacon in the waffle iron (which was a huge success!)…I’ve been intrigued whenever I see a new idea to try! Who knew waffle irons could be so versatile!? Since I didn’t want to devote an entire DAY to this project, I picked out 5 of my favorite ideas and decided to put them to the test. Let’s just say the day turned out to be MOSTLY successful. :-)

Allow me to show you why….

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

First of all, let’s just get the FAILS out of the way.

Now, I have seen plenty of pictures of wonderful-looking waffle cookies and brownies on the internet…but for some reason, no matter how much I WANTED them to work…I just couldn’t do it. I tried a couple of times on different types of waffle irons at different temperatures…but nope. Those babies stuck and burnt everytime! I know…so sad.

But don’t despair! Because the THREE OTHER ideas that DID work were what I would consider stunning successes!

First we tried pizza! You can use your favorite homemade dough or you can do like I did and just buy the kind in the cardboard can (that scares the living daylights out of you when you open it!)

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

Make sure your waffle iron is hot and simply spread your pizza dough out and close the lid. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then just to ensure a little more even cooking overall I gave mine a flip and cooked it another couple of minutes.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

After that I added some pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and turkey pepperoni and left it on the iron (with the lid up!) until the cheese melted. Of course you could just slide the pizza onto a cookie sheet and stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes as well. But since I was trying to keep it to as few steps as possible I did it this way.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

This was good pizza! I kept nibbling on it all evening.

The other surprising success I experienced using the waffle iron was Cinnamon Rolls!  Once again I utilized the dough from the scary cardboard can. I’m not sure how homemade dough would work in the waffle iron, but if you try it out, make sure to let me know.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

I put 4 cinnamon rolls on the iron (one in each square) and closed the lid. Again, it only took 2 to 4 minutes for the cinnamon rolls to become nice and brown on the outside, yet still tender on the inside. (Ignore the dark bits from the previous brownie catastrophe that were still stuck to the iron.)

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

I then put the little cup of frosting that comes with the cinnamon-rolls-in-a-can in the microwave for just a few seconds and then with a spoon drizzled it over the rolls.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

This is where Cinnamon Roll Waffles REALLY SHINE! You know those all those little indentations made by the waffle iron? They are perfect for holding the frosting! :-)  Major YUM factor here!  These got gobbled up in no time at my house.

Finally, my FAVORITE (and definitely EASIEST) thing to make in the waffle iron…..Hash Browns!

I am a disaster at making hash browns normally. Even the kind that come already pre-cooked and pre-shredded….I can never seem to get them evenly cooked.

Things You Can Make In Your Waffle Iron

This method of putting a single layer of semi-thawed (you can also cook them frozen, mine had just been sitting out for awhile) “Tater Tots” on the waffle iron and pressing down for 3 to 4 minutes actually resulted in the best hash browns I have ever “made”. :-)

Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.

Things You Can Make In A Waffle Iron

Just the way I like them!

So, there you have the true tales of what you CAN and CAN’T make in a waffle iron….at least according to me. :-)

Things You Can Make In A Waffle Iron

Photos by Anna Gleave

Have you ever tried to make anything besides WAFFLES in your WAFFLE IRON?

Share on Facebook380Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest4,290Google+11

Comments

1. Karen Nelson says

French toast! We use an egg mixture with vanilla, cinnamon, egg(or substitute or combo) milk and sliced sourdough… YUM!
    Like it so much better than in the skillet and those little squares hold your topping or syrup ever so nicely!

• Elaine says

Wow! I just read your comment and thought it was the one I just posted! We are so alike! LOL! =)

• NaDell says

My mom made waffle french toast when I was a kid. It’s great for keeping the syrup in! We call them fraffles. Delicious!

• Rosemarie says

I agree with this, I love to make French toast in a waffle maker, everything gets cooked perfectly no mush in the middle that happens sometimes.

2. Elaine says

Doing french toast in the waffle iron is delicious! I especially like to use sourdough bread that I dip in a batter of milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and a little flour to help it stick to the waffle! Yum!

3. Cheryl says

How long did you leave the bacon in for? I want to try that along with the hash browns. Now I need to buy a waffle iron!

4. Shawn says

I have a very good friend who makes cookies and cakes in a waffle iron and they are always perfect. I sat right next to her, watched her like she was the last donut in the box and I hadn’t eaten in a week, and still couldn’t make either cakes or cookies in the waffle iron. Hers were perfect, mine burned, leaked, stuck and just about ruined my waffle iron. I gave up… I’ll just pay her to do it..:)

• Sue says

I used brownie mix in mine & it worked. My husband actually had the idea for chocolate waffles topped with ice cream, so we tried boxed brownies!

• Heather M says

“…watched her like she was the last donut in the box, and I hadn’t eaten in a week.”

OMGosh, that’s hilarious! I’m so using that….

Cake mixes are liquidy, but waffle mix isn’t…so maybe a pound cake recipe…or something thicker might work.

And FWIW, I tried cinnamon rolls, and they burned and nearly ruined my waffle maker. I think I needed to do them slower and lower. Good luck!

• Carol Moffitt says

I have a recipe for waffle cookies. They are thick like a brownie and I use a scoop to put one in each section of the waffle iron I time them for 2 min. take them out and icethem with fudge frosting which melts into the little squares of the waffle. They are my kids and grandkids favorite cookie

Carol, do you make the brownies according to the box. or
        do you have another way to make the brownie cookies?
        I’m always interested in ways to make something simple
        with…chocolate!! Ummm Ummmm

5. Dava says

Ooooooo, I bet you could make a mean grilled cheese sandwich! Or how about a grilled ham and cheese sandwich?

6. lovemybrice says

i created what we call “wafflettes”! (i say created bc i scoured hte internet to confirm my idea before i went ahead w/a big mess, and found nothing) mix 3 eggs together w/a splash of milk and seasoning if u want and pour it in the middle it’ll spread out (mine’s circle) cooked it for three minutes then served it w/a mini toppings bar! the kids loved deciding what to put in their (omelettes) sprinkle w/cheese and fold it over :) it was good and easy and is requested often!

7. Red Dirt Cabin says

I made what I call garbage can eggs in my waffle iron. I scrambled an egg in a bowl. Threw in some shredded hash browns, cheese, bacon bits, onions, and garlic salt and pepper. Make sure you spray both sides of the waffle iron with non stick spray. It was quick and yummy.

8. Pat says

Just remembering the cinnamon rolls that came in a cardboard can WITH icing!! Haven’t seen them here in Aust for years. Would love to try them in a waffle maker. Thanks for your site, Jillee. Just love all the great tips etc.

9. Mo says

I’ve done scrambled eggs in my waffle iron. We have a character face one. Now I need to get a regular one. :-)

10. Jackie says

Those hash browns look smashing! (Ha!) And I never would have considered making pizza on a waffle iron. Isn’t it fun to experiment? ;)

I had more of a necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention dealie. My oven was out and I needed to make homemade, from scratch biscuits. I made up my biscuit dough as usual and then added enough extra milk to make a thick batter. My “Biffles” were great! I think I like them better than oven-baked.

I did have to make sure that my batter wasn’t too thin. Thin batter = oozing, sticky mess. Maybe that’s what happened with your brownies?

Thanks as usual, Jillee! :)