Homemade Fabric Softener!

fabric softener 7

WELCOME to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week!

Here is an oldie but a goodie from February 12, 2012……..

Honestly, I don’t use fabric softener per se (I use homemade DRYER SHEETS) so I really didn’t have anything to offer. But tonight I ran across a recipe that I think you’re going to like…and I think I’m even going to try!

It contains all the ingredients that make sense to me to be in a homemade fabric softener, and it is super easy! (almost a prerequisite in my book!)

But I think the thing that really sold me on it was that you can either use it as a dryer sheet OR add it as a rinse to your clothes washer. It’s always nice to have options. :-)

I think I’ll try it both ways and see which one I like better. But I was so excited to find this and share it with you, I decided to break my own unwritten rule and post about it before I tried it. I’m going to take barefootmommawv’s word for it who posted it on Food.com. And of course I will update after I’ve given it a whirl with my own laundry.

fabric softener 2

Homemade Fabric Softener

Ingredients:
6 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner

Directions:
1. Mix water, vinegar, and hair conditioner in a 1 gallon container; stir. Do not shake it; it will cause foaming.
2. Use the same amount you normally use in a rinse cycle or spritz it on a wash cloth and throw in dryer.

fabric softener 3

F.Y.I.  -  This makes a whole gallon of softener. If you have storage space issues or you just don’t think you’ll EVER go through that much softener (especially is you are utilizing the “spritz” technique), cutting the amounts in HALF would be pretty simple (even for mathematically-challenged me!)

***UPDATE***

fabric softener 4

I just couldn’t stand it!  I had to make this! I had an incredibly busy day yesterday…important meeting, lots of paperwork to be done…but I somehow managed to squeeze this into my morning. Not that it’s that HARD! It literally took like 5 minutes to make. But then, of course, I had to try it out! Which meant doing a test load of laundry. By the time I was finished I was ALMOST late to my meeting…but made it in the knick of time! :-)

fabric softener 5

I took the advice of one of the comments below and heated up both the vinegar and the conditioner in the microwave just a little bit before mixing in the bowl. Then I poured it all into this jar I found at Walmart that I was planning on using in my pantry reorganization project.  I’ll just have to go buy another one. :-)

fabric softener 6

I did a load of white towels and used about 1/2 a cup of the liquid softener in the last rinse cycle. The towels definitely came out soft (and clean), but I was a little disappointed that there wasn’t MORE of a scent to them. I might try a little more next time. But overall I was very pleased with this recipe.

For what it’s worth…I think the idea that several people made in the comments section about just using straight vinegar with a few drops of essential oils as a fabric softener has a lot of merit as well.

Vinegar truly is an amazing all-purpose product.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE:  An astute visitor noticed my sudsy finished product and surmised I may have mistakenly used a bottle of BODY WASH instead of CONDITIONER…because…get this….Olay doesn’t MAKE hair products! lol!

Wow….two FAILS in one week. (See World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs). I could get FIRED for something like this!  Oh wait…I run the joint.  whew!

Good news is the recipe isn’t a fail…just my execution. So hopefully you all did as I SAID and not as I DID! ;-)

Oh well….tomorrow is another day….and I’m pretty sure this won’t be my last goof on this blog. Comes with the territory I’m afraid.  Sillee Jillee.

Facebook805Twitter10Pinterest3330Google+4

Comments

• Makeeba says

Hi,

Chia seeds also work great as a hair gel. Prepare them as you would flax seeds. I also add a little shea butter, coconut oil and aloe vera gel. I have natural african-american hair which tends to get very dry, so I add the coconut and shea for added moisture.

1. Celeste Lux says

I was very excited by this post and, having all the necessary ingredients on hand, I whipped up a batch. I've run it through several batches of laundry to this point and here are my thoughts. Keep in mind that this may work different for different people based on the softness of their water, etc.. I have an HE front loader, and I put the rinse in the machine dispenser. In my opinion, I have been getting nearly the same results using vinegar and essential oil, like many others. The scent from the conditioner did not seem to linger in the clothes like I hoped, and the clothes weren't any softer or less static-y. I would be interested to hear what others who are trying it think, and I will use up the batch I made and see if I notice any difference over the long haul, but it's looking like my tried-and-true vinegar with a few drops of essential oil in the rinse dispenser may be my fall back softener. also, I'd like to share that I have recently learned of putting a ball (or two) of aluminum foil in your dryer to cut down on static–and I really like it. Not that I really have a lot of static anyway (vinegar rinse seams to help with that) but all the pet hair that wants to electromagnetically adhere to some of the clothes seems powerless against the foil ball.

• Nancy says

Celeste,

Thank you for the tip about the aluminum foil balls in the dryer.. I had never heard of it before, but with dogs and cats in the house I will be using this tip… Thanks…

Celeste thanks for the idea about the foil balls! I have 5 large dogs and that makes for lots of clingy dog hair. Immediately when I read this I added one ball, then when I had more used foil I added a second – not only do I have little-to-no static cling (I also, though, use Jillee’s home made dryer sheets) but after using for a few weeks, I can tell the foil is working to cut down on the dog hair!

• WNCmountaingirl says

OOO Gonna have to try the foil ball (once my dryer is fixed lol right now am having to hang my clothes to dry ) cause I have 5 dogs and 4 cats – I just say at our “house pet is not only a fashion accessory but a condiment” lol….It just plain gets EVERYWHERE!!!

• Dawn says

Haha….that seriously made me laugh out loud (“house pet is not only a fashion accessory but a condiment”). We’ve got 2 dogs and 3 cats, so we’re in the same boat. This is why I don’t bring food over to anyones houses anymore…lol.

• Leslie says

Oh, wncmountaingirl, I’m going to use your line that pet hair is “not only a fashion accessory but a condiment.” Hilarious! Going up to Waynesville soon, BTW. Love that area.

• Ruth says

I’ve been using the foil balls for several weeks now and static has definitely cut down in the laundry. (It’s very dry where I live and static is horrible in summer and worse in winter!) Has anyone else tried using epsom salts for a rinse? I use a 1/4 cup, roughly, per load and it really helps. We also have extremely hard water here in Grand Coulee!

• Linda Corbin says

I have very hard well water (in MT.) and I use a Downey ball of cheap white vinegar only – cleans the machine and softens the clothes. Also only use low heat on dryer as over drying clothes causes static and can ruin the clothes in the long run. Easier to “reset” than buy all new clothes!! I usually set @ 35 min. to 50 min. depending on heaviness of load.

• Cheryl says

I’ve made a couple of batches of this softener and am not crazy about it, but it isn’t a fail either. I like the rich fresh smell from the grocery store stuff and so added essential oil to this recipe. It still doesn’t smell all that much. It takes a LOT of oil to leave a residue of scent in the clothing. I’m thinking of reducing the water because it takes a lot to do the same job as the stuff I was using and I would like it more concentrated. Maybe less water, more vinegar? Also, my laundry had static so it was a fail from that standpoint. I would love to find out if anyone has tweaked this basic recipe to get a concentrated form that leaves scent and no static.

• SarahLee says

Cheryl…I have tried this recipe in the past an felt the same way: not a fail, but not a win either. I simply cut my store bought fabric softener with vinegar. I like half and half, but I have very hard well water and hang my clothes out on the line in the summer to keep from heating up my house and offset the cost of the electric bill from watering my garden and running the A/C. Just a thought.

• ash says

I usually just put a few drops of essential oil on a piece of an old t-shirt in the dryer. This leaves the desired the smell. I think I will make this & put it in a spritzer bottle for the dryer.

• Beth says

I have a sister with major allergy issues & a son with eczema. The enviromental health clinic recommends the vinegar rinse and foil balls. Essential oils would be a bad idea for some. I don’t do well with scent. I didn’t realize the foil attracted pet hair; can’t wait to tell my prince charming that does most of the laundry here. I wonder if the vinegar could be used as dryer sheets using the pour some on an old face cloth and toss in the dryer with the foil balls? My son is going to have the most unusual laundry products in his apartment of 5 friends. He is sensitive to strong products and I’m teaching him to be frugal too. He’ll spend less on laundry products and won’t have to carry the heavy jugs up the icy winter hills. I hope he will make the yogurt too, one roommate is bringing a slow cooker.

• Rhonda says

Thank you so very much for the aluminum foil ball tip!! I am just trying two of them crumpled up in the dryer. Wondering if it makes a difference if the foil is crumpled with the dull or shiny side facing out, or if it is just a random crumple AND also wondering how BIG the foil balls should be AND if they should be loosely crumpled or tightly crumpled. Can you specify if it makes a difference? Thanks again for the idea!

• Karissa says

You will want to tightly crumple the ball of aluminum foil and it will get even more compact after a couple times in the dryer. Everything I have seen about the technique has not mentioned anything about which side needs to show. I have been using the aluminum foil balled up in the dryer for about a week, and I think I am going to add another ball. The one I had started was just a little bit smaller than a tennis ball and is now about half that size. I also have a tennis ball in the dryer to help with softening of the clothes as they dry. Not sure if any of it really helps yet, but I too cant wait to find out for sure.

• Loretta T. Consiglio says

I know this is almost 2 years after the post, but I just saw it.

About how many drops of oil do you put in the softener dispenser unit, on your washing machine with the vinegar? And….what brand of essential oil do you use?

Loretta

2. Anonymous says

My son works for a plumbing supply co. They also sale appliances. One of the reps told him that you should periodically take you dryer vent out and wash it if you use dryer sheets. He didn't say anything about the softeners in the wash. It probably wouldn't hurt to do it either way. I am going to make this very soon. Sandy

• Missie says

I have been washing my dryer vent for a while. It really seems to make a difference in the amount of time it takes to dry a load of clothes after washing the vent. If you pour water on the vent and it is slow in seeping through, then you have a build up from the dryer sheets on the vent and heat is not getting to where it needs to be. To me that is $$$ saved on my electric bill. Also I have been making the laundry soap, fabric softener and dishwasher soap for about a year and half, LOVE it.

3. Sharon says

I made my first homemade fabric softener. I wanted something that wouldn't leave a residue in my fab soft dispenser but make the clothes soft, smell nice and no static. I made a small batch to start. 4 cups water, 4 cups white vinegar and 1 cup of water based potpouri in Linen scent. Clothes are soft and not staticy (sp?) and the scent is light which is good for a family with allergies. I don't like heavy perfume scents so this worked great for me. You could probably add 2 cups for more scent. The bottle of potpouri was $3 for 34 ounces at Walmart.

4. Sharon says

O, I forgot to mention that I just give the jug a shake before using. I saved an emptly fab softner bottle. It was a large one since we have 6 people in our family to do laundry for. Next batch will fill the bottle and I just use 1 capfull per washload.

5. Anonymous says

I have been using this and I love it. My jeans are so soft and since I don't really like a heavy scent on my clothes the original recipe is perfect. Like some stated above I did a half batch and put it in an old softner bottle for ease of use. I am telling my friends about it. It cost about $1 a bottle and could cost less if you use a coupon and sale price of the conditioner.

6. Anonymous says

For the lady that wanted to make hair gel, just use lemon jello and delute it to your thickness.. It can be in a jar thick, or thin and put in a spray bottle or squirt bottle. Start out with 2 TBS. 1 1/2 cups of warm water and mix together. ALWAYS refrigerate. I mix small portions so as not to get old. Apply to slightly damp hair roll up, crunch or blow dry, not harmful to hair. Also if in a hurry and don"t have time to wash and style hair, use a cotton ball dipped in alcohol and wipe down strand of hair and roll up, dries quickly. Especially handy for little girls who want their hair curled. Hope this is helpfull, used this on my baby who just turned 40 45 + year hairdresser

7. shanda says

Jus wanted to say absolutely love your blog! You have been saving me tons of money, i made your laundry detergent about 2 weeks ago and was in Walmart today and seen my old detergent went from 10 to 15 dollars insane! So thanks a lot for posting this awesome stuff!

8. Anonymous says

I have heard of this as well and its definately true. You can check your screen by pulling off the lint and running some water over it. If the water pools up or forms droplets, then it needs to be scrubbed with dish soap & water. Rinse & air dry

9. Jill Nystul says

shanda…that IS insane! That's how it ALL started for me! I just "hit the wall" one day and literally could not bring myself to pay that much for a bottle of detergent. Since I had to wash my clothes with SOMETHING…homemade was my only choice. What a wonderful choice it has turned out to be. :-) Thanks for sharing your experience!

10. Deniese says

I made my first batch today .. It did not make 1 gallon ,, it made a little over 2 litters.. I used a old coke bottle and filled it … I also use suave and so far my loads are soft.. I needed a way to save money .. Thank you do much .. Can you use a dryer ball in a HE machine… ?? Thank you so much for this..,

11. Jill Nystul says

THANK YOU Jackie M! I suddenly feel a lot less foolish. ;-) By the way…I bought a lovely bottle of SUAVE conditioner on Saturday and made up a new batch today! SUCCESS!

OK…I have a dumb question. I was looking at those "dryer balls" at Walmart on Saturday and I don't really get it? lol. What do they do? Do they pummel your clothes into softness? or what?

I’ve never noticed the dryer balls but I imagine they’re dual purpose, perhaps designed to release softener, and also to help rotate the laundry in the drum… I use tennis balls when I’m drying sheets or towels – especially the heavy towels – they help keep them from bunching up in the dryer.

• Anita says

The dryer balls work by separating the clothes and fluffing up the fibers. This keeps your clothes tumbling separately instead of clumping together, which helps them dry faster. They do not contain or dispense fabric softener. The fluffing of the fibers supposedly helps soften them. They do not soften as well as fabric softener, though, especially if you have hard water.

• norma says

I dont know about being softer, but the clothes definitely dries faster. I am guessing because it separates the clothes and the heat is better distributed. I heard tennis balls release some sort of unhealthy gas.
      What I am going to do next is make the wool balls i have been reading about!

• Doris Collins says

Jill, we have a friend who is an appliance repairman. He made us quit using dry fabric softener sheets because of the problem talked about above with the lint filter, so I went to the rubber softener balls found at Wal-mart. He was out again a few weeks later and said they cause too much wear and tear on your clothing, so I went back to liquid. This was, of course, before I read this amazing blog and started making my own laundry detergent and fabric softener.

12. Anonymous says

I heard you were not suppose to put fabric softener on your towels. That they did not absorb as well.
    I just made my first batch of fabric softener. Can't wait to use it. I very sensitive to so many thing so knowing what I put in it is sooo helpful to me1?!! Thanks

• Cynthia says

We have always used fabric softener on our towels. Works fine. Especially if you can’t bring yourself to buy really expensive fluffy towels. It makes the bargain ones seem more luxurious. At least if it’s not actually softening them, I still don’t mind using the stuff because it makes them smell better and makes the freshness last longer.

• Minnie says

I heard the same thing… I think it depends on your local tap water. I use the vinegar and essential oil formula instead of store-bought. Works. My towels are slowly coming back to their fluffier soft state.

Jillee, I hope you find an alternative to hair conditioner as I don’t like the idea of putting it on my kids’ clothing… Thanks!

13. Jackie M says

Yeah…those dryer ball things that look like bouncy balls?? I have no idea what their purpose is except to remove lint maybe? Do they keep it from being staticy?? Although, if you wash pillows and things, they do say to put tennis balls in the dryer to "reshape" them.
    Who knows. I once put dish soap in my dishwasher! In my defense, I was 19, and the bottle said "dish soap"!

14. Melissa says

This recipe has been around for quite some time and is awesome. I have been using it myself for ell over a year. The great thing is that you can use ANY conditoner with ANY scent. It's completely customizable. I use Suave because I usually buy it on sell when I have a coupon and doesn't cost me a thing! I have a HE machine and put it in the fabric softener as I would any other fabric softener. Keep in mind that once month, I run vinegar through the detergent, bleach, pretreat, and fabric softener sections on a short wash to keep any kind of build up. No one told me to do it, but I figured it couldn't hurt! I definately recommend trying this out. One thing to keep in mind, do not shake the mix because it will suds up. Just stir well. This stays a nice consistency and does no gel like I have heard others doing. It's awesome!

15. Leena Salleh says

Hi Jillee…thanks for sharing this recipe…I have found quite a number of recipes but I think I would give this one a try first. But, I have a question tho' since one of the ingredient is vinegar, would it have any effect on the fabric/yarn if it used for example on delicate fabrics i.e. silks? I just do not want to ruin my clothings if it would not do good in the long run as oppose to cottons or the likes…Thanks again.

16. Anonymous says

For the people questioning if vinegar is safe for sensitive skin: I have VERY sensitive skin. When I get extra itchy, I put vinegar in my bath water and take a good, long soak. I feel much less itchy and my hair is much softer and silky as the vinegar has rinsed out any excess conditioner.

17. Jill Nystul says

Leena…if you are washing delicate items by hand, follow the garment's care instructions, and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the last rinse to help remove soap residue.

Jessica….hmmmm…not sure why it's separating…but I don't think it will hurt anything. Just give it a little shake before you use it.

Thanks for the information about sensitive skin and vinegar Anony!

18. Anonymous says

I have heard of this as well. The kennore tech came to see what was wrong with our dryer and he asked to see the filter from the dryer. I assured him that we clean it after every cycle. He said he didn't doubt that I did do that but he wanted to show me something. We went over to the sink and put the filter under running water. It was puddling up on the filter rather than going through. He said if you clean your filter like this every 2 weeks that it will actualy double the life of your dryer. So I don't mind cleaning A bit more often to save money on self made products and save money on that dryer I won't be purchasing anytime soon ;-)

• MARCIA says

It will also prevent a fire from your dryer getting too hot as well as cutting the drying time on your loads! The newer dryers have a fuse that blows to prevent fire, but you cannot be too safe.

19. koryshar says

Just as a heads up, I've been using that same exact jar to infuse the vinegar I use to clean my kitchen with grapefruit peels. After 3 weeks my lid rusted shut. My super althletic military man couldn't even get it open. Had to throw my most recent batch of vinegar and jar away. You might want to line your lid with plastic wrap or something.

• Amanda Ramsey says

I too have to use HE and I find that the vinegar actually helps clean my washer and I don’t have to buy the washer cleaner as often. I make my own detergent & softener & thus far have had no build up problems or rinsing problems.

20. rachel says

if i can make a suggestion …i make my own fabric softner but we use sponges let them soak in a gal. jug and as we need them we pull them out ring it out to about almost dripping throw it in and put it back in the jug when the dryer is done !! works well with us !!

21. Unknown says

Ok, my brain is working overtime here (do you smell something burning?!?) but I have questions…
    If you are going to spritz the softener, why not just put the clothes (or whatever) in the dryer and spritz the general pile of clothes? Why do you need to spritz a washcloth (or piece)? If spraying directly on clothing might leave some kind of mark, wouldn't putting a wet piece of washcloth on the pile of clothing leave the same (if not worse) mark? I'm probably over-thinking, but it would not be the first time… thanks for your patience, love the diy recipes!!!

• Keely says

Yes it could if it was jsut sitting on top of the clothes but you are tumbling them dry right away so no it wont set a mark.. sprtzing the clothes however is not a good idea..if you want something like that I suggest fabreez

• shalom says

When I need to de-wrinkle a load I with the door open, I push the door lever & start the machine, and spritz water into the dryer while the clothes are rotating. The same thing could be done a scented softener. (It is easier for me to do now because the dryer is so old that the door button doesn’t work and it runs even if the door is open.)

I got the dryer from my mom when she bought a new one. It was the same brand but larger capacity as my previous one. The filter screen on hers was torn, but the handle part on my old one was a different length. So I carefully took the handles off and put the screen part from my old dryer (which was the same length as the “new” dryer’s) on the new dryer handle. A few years later part of that handle broke off so we attached a wire handle. That has since broken and we have repaired it again. Our repairs are much cheaper than buying a new part. We have done something similar with the washer knob – first I discovered a wing nut would fit on the knob screw. Then it got hard to do so we put a mini monkey wrench on it to be able to pull it out to set the wash cycle. The beauty of these repairs is that these older machines are much easier to repair ourselves and they are in a closet on our balcony. (Before we built the closet they were downstairs in the non-air-conditioned shop on the hot side of the house. Even though they are outside, at least they are on the cooler morning side and are not downstairs.) Also, we live in a humid area and I can see putting very expensive new machines “outside”. We don’t have room inside our house for them. lol

• 4MyFun says

I always soak a wash cloth of fabric softener over night, then let it air dry for a week. It is good to use for 20 or more loads that way. I always have a couple rotating :) Love the thoughts!

• Dani says

You can order them online from places like Amazon….etc, for a smaller fee than most herbal stores. An added suggestion for the scent, I use the Downy unstoppables when I make mine for a stronger scent. I get the sample packs from Downy’s Facebook page when they do a give away. I only use half the package and it makes our clothes smell great. You would never know it is home made.

22. Anonymous says

I am using this same recipe for sometime now, & I love it! I pour it into a Downy ball, & throw it in at the start of my wash. If you use more conditioner it makes the mix too thick! I tried it & ended adding more vinegar to thin it down! I have no problem with the vinegar smell.

23. Melissa says

Will have to give it a try. My kids are sensitive to some fabric softeners so maybe this will be a bit better for them since they do not have issues with any of the ingredients. Question though would this be like all other fabric softeners were you should not use it on flame resistant clothing?

24. ashley says

This is a great recipe!!!!! I am the worlds worst about finding a new shampoo at the store and buying the matching conditioner to only use half the bottle. I always end up with a lot of extra conditioner. I have also make my on ferbreze and it calls for fabric softner. definatly going to try to use this fabric softener in that too!!!!

• shalom says

I wonder if this will work for homemade wrinkle releaser? A few years ago I found wrinkle releaser ( I think it was Downy). If one of my family needs to were a shirt that is wrinkled, I squirt the shirt and lightly stretch or brush the fabric and the wrinkles fall out. When I ran out I found the stores in my area had quit carrying it. The other brand was more expensive, didn’t work as well and was stinky. So I googled and found this: 1tsp fabric softener + about 16oz distilled water. It works great. I bought some fabric softener just for this purpose. Since I don’t generally use fabric softener it will last a long time, but when it runs out I will try this recipe or some variation of it instead of buying more softener.

I also found a recipe for 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts water. I haven’t tried it yet to see if it works. I finished my previous batch the other day, so I might try it this time, even though I still have lots of softener I can use.

25. Alexandra says

I just want to say thank you! I’ve made this about 5 times and I really like it. It does wonders for my whites, helps remove the sweat stains in t-shirts and is good for my machine as well. No more sewer smell in my machine. I have a (European) front loading machine and a special compartment at the top in which I put my fabric softener. This compartment used to be all gooey and even a little moldy now it is squeaky clean. Oh and one of my girls has very sensitive skin, I haven’t heard her complain so far. I don’t use a jar but a big plastic old milk container it holds exactly the amount I make according to your instructions. I’m lucky I can get scented cleaning vinegar (Lavender or Eucalyptus).
    I only wish there was a way to make the fabric just a tad softer with it. Any ideas?

26. Barb says

I have been doing this with fabric softener and small sponges from the dollar store . I mix 1 part fabric softner to 3 parts water . I drop into a container of this mix about 6 small sponges . When I put my clothes in the dryer (Winter or rainy days ,sun shine does the work on the clothes line) I just grab a sponge and drop it with the clothes. Simple. When the clothes are dry simply put the sponge back into the fabric softener. I bought a small bottle of fabric softner last February . Still on the same bottle. Works for me.

27. misty says

I use this recipe also. I heat up my water in the microwave until it gets good and hot, but not to a boiling point. Then I pour my conditioner in and mix it up, then I mix the vinegar in. I also use a whisk to help get all the chunks of conditioner dissolved once it is all mixed. An important note though on my trial and errors(see we are not all perfect!) don’t heat your water to a boiling point. You would think it would help the conditioner to melt faster, but I did this and it broke down the conditioner and everything and I do mean EVERYTHING came out with static cling in it. Even the things that don’t normally get static in them. I have used just straight vinegar for years now and I do have to say that I love this recipe so much more. Even though the vinegar did an awesome job, I found that certain things always had static in them no matter what. Since I have switched I have no static, even those pesky blankets come out soft and static free. Hope my experiences help your bloggers!

28. Kirsten says

Just my 2cents… I am all over homemade, so I find this pretty cool, but…

I hang dry all my clothes, so they’re crunchy. That’s a bit gross, so I just throw them in the dryer with a damp face cloth (or if wet towels are in the next load, just them). Ten minutes and you’re soft!

I do use dryer sheets for my sheets, but also cut then in half- you only need a little!
    If you wanted the smell, you could throw a few drops of oil to the damp cloth. :)

29. Roxanne says

I have been using homemade softener and detergent for awhile now. The only complaint I had was that the clothes were very staticky upon coming out of the dryer. But, on Pinterest (of course!) I found the solution. If you just crinkle up a sheet of aluminum foil into a loose ball, and throw it in the dryer with your clothes, they will come out with no static cling. I was hesitant at first (about possibly burning down my house) but it actually works really well.

30. Lisie says

Has anyone ever tried this recipe with hand lotion instead of conditioner? I have a lotion that I really love the scent. Just wondering if anyone has ever given that a whirl.

31. Stacey says

I just made my first batch and am excited to try. Also, bought all the ingredients to make the laundry detergent. The hubs is happy to be saving some $. Thanks for all the great tips!! Will definitely be passing this info along!!

32. Beth Bender says

I have used a version of this and feel that my clothes are softer than when I used Downey! I mixed mine up and then poured it into an old Downey bottle and it is easy~peasy!
    Thanks for all your great ideas!

33. Christy says

I’m sold! I made the softener this afternoon & the smell is wonderful. The conditioner I chose was the Suave Refreshing Waterfall Mist. It almost has a relaxing spa type scent, nothing too overpowering but just enough to smell heavenly. I looked @ the essential oils but couldn’t find a fresh linen scent so scrapped that idea pretty quick. I ran 2 loads of using the Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent recipe that’s on here with the Borax, Super Washing Powder & (blue) Dawn topped off with a tablespoon of the Downy fragrance additive. I used a fabric softener lid to measure the softener and a cap full was plenty to do the job. I was very pleased with the outcome. Everything came out nice and clean with a great scent as well. I opted to make only half a batch of the softener to see how I liked it, the scent, etc.. Coming from a fabric softener fanatic, I can tell you without a doubt I will be making this again. (same goes for the laundry detergent!)

1. [...] Homemade Fabric Softener – Finally! | One Good Thing by JilleeFeb 1, 2012 … I have had a lot of people asking about a homemade version of fabric softener lately. Honestly, I don’t use fabric softener per se (I use … [...]