Turn A Mason Jar Into An Easy DIY Dispenser

mason jar dispenser

From the Simply Brilliant and Brilliantly Simple file…today’s post is short, but SWEET! I can’t believe I never thought to do something like this before. With as many mason jars as I use in my day-to-day life, being able to convert them into a dispenser of sorts is so helpful!

I first spied an idea similar to this on Pinterest, except it involved using the top of a salt container. Then I spied THIS idea and decided it just looked way too easy not to try.

mason jar dispenser

All you need is:

• an empty juice carton
  • a mason jar
  • a mason jar ring
  • scissors
  • a pencil

mason jar dispenser

Start by opening up the top to create a flat surface.

spout 18

Using the jar ring as a guide, trace a circle around the juice carton opening.

mason jar dispenser

Cut out the circle.

mason jar dispenser

Press into the inside of the mason jar ring.

Screw on top of a mason jar.

That’s it!  You just made yourself a VERY useful little dispenser great for holding all sorts of pourable contents.

I use mine to hold baking soda to tackle those seemingly ENDLESS tasks around the house that baking soda is good for.

mason jar dispenser

Like scrubbing your grimy cookies sheets…………

mason jar dispenser

Or removing those annoying black marks on your kitchen counter.

The possibilities really are endless!

What would YOU use it for?

Share on Facebook900Tweet about this on Twitter31Pin on Pinterest112,574Google+9

Comments

1. Frugal Mom says

This is great, I’ve seen the salt one as well,
    did you know the average green cheese and mayo lids fit right on a reg. mason jar, no questions asked. It is great!

• Anita says

Some peanut butter jar lids will fit canning jars too. Love this idea. Another person mentioned using Tupperware lids, this may just get me on the garage sale/thrift store hunt.

2. Chris Smith says

Thank you Ms Jillee! Another great idea. As clumsy as I am tho, I’m thinking of using a plastic jar if I can find a ring to fit. I do have some plastic storage jars hanging around, so half the battle is won.

3. Dawn says

This is a great idea for homemade juice, salad dressing, or stock. You could put it onto a bigger jar for larger quantity items like juice or stock. Also would work for homemade kids paints or a cute sugar dispenser for coffee. You could also shake up pancake/waffle batter then use what you need today and store the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. Endless uses! Thanks so much for a great and easy DIY.

Oh I like that! I also use Coffee Mate lids on jars. The small Coffee Mate lid fits a small mouth mason jar and the large fits the large mouth. Great for dispensing things like M&Ms but not truly air tight. This would take care of that.

5. Jody says

Cool! Have you seen the one where you save the green top from a parmesan cheese container? It fits a regular mason jar. I have one with baking soda in it. I can sprinkle or I can use a spoon.

I buy milk in mason jars from a farm stand. It’s awkward and messy to pour milk from a half gallon jar. I cut my inserts from the flip-top lids to old Tupperware juice containers that I was going to trash. They’re working great!

7. Rosemarie says

This is genius:
    Too bad I do not use these containers, I may buy one just for this. :)
    I make lots of green smoothies and this would be perfect to dispense my Flax seeds into my Vita Mix, they usually go all over whenever I open the jar.

This has a multitude of possibilities, you can even use larger jars also, with the same size lids.
    Thanks

8. Tauna says

GREAT IDEA!!!! I just bought some house dressing from a local restaurant, and it came in a small mason jar. It is runny and pouring it out is a mess! I’m going to do this right away!!!

9. Carla S. says

Great idea. I use a salt top on a pint mason jar for my sugar. I just give it a quick coat of spray paint to “pretty it up”. Love all your ideas. Very helpful site.

10. Beth says

m & m dispenser, paperclips, if you use a mason jar to grind your coffee, you could pour it right in the drip basket of you coffee pot, no scoop required. It would be great for rice, mini pasta, quiona, couscous, even small dry beans or split peas or popcorn.

11. Sheila A. says

Just when I thought I have seen everything possible with a certain ingredient, container, etc, you share something amazing! You make me look forward to seeing what is in my inbox! Thank you!

12. Barbara says

I would use the top of a cardboard salt container but never one from an orange juice or milk carton. The reason? BPA. They put pink slime into our ground beef – would you trust them to not have BPA in the waxy lining on those cartons? Many cartons contain it, and most cans do, too.
    Or you can buy pour spout lids for jars like these:

I use the dual shaker/pouring tops from Kraft shredded Parmesan (refrigerated section – not shelved) on my Mason jars.

Even plastic milk cartons are not recommended by the preppers to be used for food storage because the proteins from the milk are impossible to remove, and they will spoil your food, they say.

I’m all for re-uses, but they must be safe ones. It’s why I use glass jars in the first place instead of plastics. You could conceivably put a barrier between the OJ carton liner and the food in the jar, but is it really going to protect you, and is it worth the effort?

13. CTY says

Well, I went to the beach & missed this post–just now “catching up”
    I can’t believe this! This confirms my belief that “Big Brother is watching [me]“.
    Seriously, I have been doing this for quite awhile–I saw the “salt pouring spout” all over Pinterest but was proud to think–”they didn’t get this”. {{sigh}}.
    Remember: “Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they aren’t after you”.-Joseph Heller

14. Eriykah says

So… I bought some Mason-type jars (because I adore them!) from the 99¢ Only Store, one of which was for baking soda. I figured I’d just scoop it out. Then I came across the fab idea of using a carton lid for dispensing on lifehack .com. And lo and behold, the link to your blog at the bottom of the article. I should have known, one of my most fav bloggers, coming to my rescue. Thanks for the tips!