Thursday, January 30, 2014

All-Natural DIY Dusting Spray

diy dusting spray

For some reason I have had a LOT of requests for a homemade dusting spray lately. I think I have been dragging my feet on it because on the big list of household chores, this is probably one of my least favorite…if not my VERY least favorite! It’s not even that hard to do, I just have such an aversion to it. Go figure.

While a microfiber cloth all by itself usually will take care of the dust in my house, there are occasions when a dusting spray is called for. Like when there are streaks of grease or dirt MIXED IN with the dust.

Plus, I just really like the nice citrus smell. :-)

diy dusting spray

DIY Citrus Dusting Spray

What You’ll Need:

• 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vinegar (cuts through grease and grime & disinfectants)
  • 2 tsp olive oil (shines and protects wood)
  • 10-15 drops of Lemon essential oil* (makes your home smell naturally fresh and clean!)
  • Spray bottle

*Grapefruit, wild orange, tangerine, or bergamot essential oil work well too!

diy dusting spray

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in spray bottle and shake well to mix.

To use:

Because oil and water don’t mix, be sure to shake before each use to help distribute all the ingredients.Spray directly on furniture and buff it off with a clean, dry cloth.

diy dusting spray

I tried this on several different surfaces. It wasn’t the greatest on my IKEA shelves, which have a high gloss surface, but it worked GREAT on my wood furniture!

Now maybe dusting will be a little less drudgery for me….and you!

Use the coupon code “jillee” to take 10% off any Spark Naturals order.

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

60 thoughts on “All-Natural DIY Dusting Spray

1. Lori Enos Jones

Hi first I want to say I love your posts!!
    Now, I have been told to spray your cloth not the item you want to dust. As it can cause spots. When I was young and had to dust I sprayed the furniture, but the furniture already had a high glossy finish. Now I have a lot of natural wood ( no high gloss ) and but mistake sprayed the furniture and it left spots. Had to really work at getting rid of them. So now I use a bottle and put the cloth over the opening and tip it over and then use the wet part of the rag to dust with. Find that it works really good , that way. So I guess what I am saying is if you have high gloss it probable is of to spray the furniture, but maybe not so much for the other.
    Thanks again!!

1. Karen

I agree, spray the cloth not the furniture!

But I wanted to comment on the spots on your furniture. My husband read somewhere to try putting Mayonaise on water spots on wooden furniture and the spots will disapear. We tried this after hot coffee was spilled on our antique buffet at Christmas, and it worked like a charm! The spots went away! I have no idea why the Mayo works, but it does! :-)

2. Becky

The overspray can also get on the floor. My kids and I were slipping around like crazy until we figured out why! I found it best to use it straight on the rag.

3. Kelly C

I use baby oil to get rid of water spots! Works amazingly well. Even if the stain is years old. (Inherited antiques). For stubborn water spots, leave baby oil on for a few hours, or over night, & wipe away! And the smell is nice too!

2. JOSHUA

I have a lil different recipe but requires a shake before use

1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    Mix & spray on cloth &turn cloth to dry side to pollish !!!

1. Julie

Please unsubscribe me also – or provide the means for us to do so. Obviously not all of the emails sent out are complete as there is no unsubscribe link after the “read more” at the bottom. People have said to click on the blue link, but this does not exist on the bottom of my email. And I have looked!

3. Tanis

I made an all purpose cleaning spray with vinegar, water and lemon essential oil. I was reluctant to use it on our wood but now with the idea of olive oil, I’m going to try this out today! Thank you :)

1. Jillee Post author

Amy, normally I wouldn’t recommend putting EO’s in a plastic bottle but I actually used plastic for this. I figured it wasn’t a huge batch so it wouldn’t end up sitting long enough for the EO’s to eat through the plastic.

4. christy m

I like this idea. It’s amazing how expensive these products are.
    I also love that I don’t have to buy anything to make this
    Because I already have all the ingredients at home.
    I love reading all your posts. They’re great.

5. Casey

Would this also be okay to use to wipe down my leather furniture? I was thinking that the olive oil would be good for the leather and the other ingredients don’t seem like they would be harmful…????

1. Jillee Post author

You know Casey, I’m not sure. I would recommend doing some research on the products you can use on leather. I’m not sure how the vinegar and lemon EO would affect the leather.

6. Diana

I have a strong aversion to the smell of vinegar. Can I leave it out and get the same results? I noticed someone mentioned using lemon juice, but I’d have to store the mixture in the fridge, right? (Not an option–fridge space is prime real estate here!)

Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

1. Jillee Post author

You probably would not get the same results without vinegar. Without vinegar it’s just oil and lemon EO. But that might be a good conditioner for wood furniture. And yes, if you use lemon juice you would have to put it in the fridge.

7. No1Twin

I think all these DIY sprays etc. sound great but the essential oils are WAY expensive.
    Just a .25 oz. bottle is $10.00 or more. You make several batches from that bottle I realize…but not that often and you would have it sitting around til the next batch would be needed. Can it really be that economical? I am not just talking about this spray recipe…but several other DIY items I have read on the posts. They are tempting to try…but I cannot get myself to spend that much on a tiny bottle of oil that will be used one time a year or less.

1. Katherine

I get my essential oils on swansonvitamins.com and depending on the type of oil they run from $2-$10 a bottle. There are always coupon codes on retailmenot.com for swan sons that are great savings.

8. Michelle

No1tWin – yeah the essential oils are expensive, but Spark Naturals are fairly inexpensive and if you use the code, you can save an additional 10%. I just purchased a few oils the first time and I’ve found a TON of uses for them. Everything from the No.2 spray, to adding them in my humidifier, cleaning products and even body wash! Once you have them, you’ll be surprised at how many things you can “make” with them! There is one small kit that comes with a few that are really commonly used, it’s a great deal and you’ll find yourself using them all the time!!

1. joanne

Michelle. ..you mentioned that you have made the No. 2 spray. I have also and like it. But wondered if you have had the same problem as I do with the sprayer sticking. I’ve tried different spray bottles but they all stick and I have to manually pull it up to spray each time.
      Maybe I’ll have to use the trigger type but they’re so big. Any suggestions?

1. KimH

I’ve had the same problem with many sprayer bottles.. They dont stand up to a lot of the stuff we put in them. The best thing to do is to either use an old spray bottle from a commercial product or clean out the spray bottle sprayer each time you use it which is a pita.

9. Stef

Good morning, Jillee and my OGTBJ friends!

I’ve been using a very similar MIY formula since last summer and I really like it. It’s funny, because I had the same results with a couple of IKEA pieces. I thought I’d mixed it incorrectly but, like you, it works great on regular wood. Thanks for letting us all in on thisl. As always, I love the things you share.

10. CTY

This looks great! It has been so dry this winter I think I’ll end by rubbing in a little extra olive oil. I have a few picture frames that can use this too.
    Thank you!

11. silverdust

Thanks, Jillee. The price of furniture polish has gone through the roof the last couple of years. I’ve resorted to damp microfiber cloths, but this will smell better!

12. Katherine

I’m wondering how this could be modified, or if it would even need to be, in order to turn into a “Wood Floor” cleaner? I’ve tried everything under the sun to get my wood floor back to it’s original shine. I can get it clean, but there’s always a slight milky film on top. I’m wondering if olive oil could help……….any ideas???

1. Kathy

Jillee is right. Only use vinegar and water on your hardwood floors. We just built a new house and installed hardwood floors. We live near a hardwood floor manufacturer (eliminated middleman and saved lots of $$) and were told that is the only thing to use as cleaners will cause floors to have a milky film and ruin your pre finished floor. Never wax a pre finished floor!

13. Tammy

Essential oils are an investment. However, they last a really long time. Orange oil is around five dollars a bi tle here. It is about,the same price as a bottlr of cleaner. However, you can make 10 or 12 bottles of cleaner with it that isn’t toxic or caustic and cleans way better. It is more economical in the long run.

I wonder if you can spritz this mix on a duster and use it that way…..

14. Stacey

Just yesterday I made my own dusting spray, after thinking about it for several months. What I used has a tablespoon of castile soap in it. Though I found it worked great, the idea of putting soap on my wood just doesn’t appeal to me. Only using it once, I can’t say if it will have a buildup, but I think I will dump it out and try this instead. I also despise dusting! I’d rather clean toilets. I don’t know what it is. But I found that by using my own homemade product, it made it more enjoyable (though only slightly!). To the person that doesn’t want to use essential oils because they are expensive, I take it you don’t use them for anything else. I wouldn’t buy a bottle just to make this either probably, but once you get into making your own products, they are a must. The most expensive bottle I bought was around $7. Love your website, Jillee! I have tried so many of your homemade cleaners and toiletries. It’s a joy to get ready for work in the morning using my own soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, makeup, hair gel and hairspray! It kind of becomes a goal to see what I can quit buying from the store next!

15. STACEY

I have ordered from sparks and got a 4 pk. bottles of essential oil for less than 20.00 using the 10 percent off (code: JILLEE) that’s less than 5.00 a bottle !! CHECK IT OUT…………………………..

16. Roxie

Water and wood? hmmmm Water dries out wood. I would NEVER use oil and spray directly on furniture or floors. Not only leave spots on the wood, but on the fabric also. Oils also attract dust. Any overspray on the floors makes them slippery. I have alot of elderly and disabled friends and that spells danger. Some of the essential oils are not good for pets either. I use dawn dish soap to wash my floors, windows and vinyl, dry dusting with microfiber cloth for wood, baking soda, a little dawn and vinegar for the bathroom, and bleach for the toilet. I shampoo carpets with tide and fabric softener (prevents static electricity when you walk across the floor, no shock); pretreat stains with peroxide, dawn, or whatever the stain requires. Less chemicals the better. Dawn dish soap directly on grease and other food stains on clothing works too. Peroxide for coffee, chocolate and juice stains.

17. patricia R.

Love your daily information and super home made cleaning recipes. Where do you get the cool spray bottles with the cute labels on them.

Thanks for being so awesome.

18. moki

Yay – DIY ! ! Years ago (suffering from environmental sensitivities — no: bleach, ammonia, commercial cleaners etc) I started making a vinegar dusting/cleaning solution – that I put in a spray bottle. It didn’t have oil though. I would put some vinegar in a pan w/whatever aromatics I could find (sage @ my mother’s on the WY prairies or pine.needles/rosemary somewhere else) and simmer it for a while – then strain and put in a bottle — adding a bit of that to water and (yes!) spraying my dust cloth – I could clean everything (glass too). My mom was horrified at the thought of the vinegar – but it never hurt anything and the smell dissipated right away – - – she loved it and ended up making her own when she ran out of what i’d started :-).

19. Michele

Thank you, Jillee! I’ve been hoping you would come up with something simple for a dusting spray and I’ll try it out this weekend.
    On a side note, I wonder what browser people are using to view your emails? On my iPad, I don’t see the links at the bottom of my (favorite!) daily email from OGTBJ, but I see it in my Yahoo email thru Internet Explorer. The IPad email app must cut off the links.
    Thank you for laundry detergent, window washing formulas, dishwasher detergent, armpit stain remover, make up remover wipes and whiter whites! I use them all daily!

20. Pingback: How to Make an All-Natural DIY Dusting Spray | Herbs and Oils Hub

21. Ann

I love this! However, I’m wondering about EO’s and cats since some are toxic to them. Guess I’ll do some research and may have to leave that ingredient out. Bummer. lol I <3 the smell of lemon/citrus!

22. KimH

Old woodworkers recommend using 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 vinegar.. rub on then polish to a high shine. I used this on my kitchen cabinets that were horrid condition and now they all look brand new.. and they’re almost 30 years old. Works great!

23. Cindi

We bought an older house and have never had any luck with anything getting the kitchen cupboards & hardware “clean”. They feel sticky , like greasy dirt. I have tried most everything. You have some great ideas and am new to your site and loving it already. Any information on how I can get my cupboards & the hardware from feeling stick to clean & smooth would be much appreciated. Thanks to anyone replying to this in advance.

24. Pingback: Make Your Own All-Natural DIY Dusting Spray | The Cannabis Strain Directory Blog

25. Pingback: Spring cleaning? Make your own dusting spray with olive oil and lemon | Posta34 English

26. Suzanne

Could you use warming oil instead of essential oil since it wouldn’t be ingested? Found warming oil at Wal-Mart which was a good deal cheaper. Love your website! Recommend it to so many people.

27. Pingback: All-Natural DIY Dusting Spray | My CMS