All-Natural DIY Dusting Spray

diy dusting spray

For some reason I have had a LOT of requests for a homemade dusting spray lately. I think I have been dragging my feet on it because on the big list of household chores, this is probably one of my least favorite…if not my VERY least favorite! It’s not even that hard to do, I just have such an aversion to it. Go figure.

While a microfiber cloth all by itself usually will take care of the dust in my house, there are occasions when a dusting spray is called for. Like when there are streaks of grease or dirt MIXED IN with the dust.

Plus, I just really like the nice citrus smell. :-)

diy dusting spray

DIY Citrus Dusting Spray

What You’ll Need:

• 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vinegar (cuts through grease and grime & disinfectants)
  • 2 tsp olive oil (shines and protects wood)
  • 10-15 drops of Lemon essential oil* (makes your home smell naturally fresh and clean!)
  • Spray bottle

*Grapefruit, wild orange, tangerine, or bergamot essential oil work well too!

diy dusting spray

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in spray bottle and shake well to mix.

To use:

Because oil and water don’t mix, be sure to shake before each use to help distribute all the ingredients.Spray directly on furniture and buff it off with a clean, dry cloth.

diy dusting spray

I tried this on several different surfaces. It wasn’t the greatest on my IKEA shelves, which have a high gloss surface, but it worked GREAT on my wood furniture!

Now maybe dusting will be a little less drudgery for me….and you!

Use the coupon code “jillee” to take 10% off any Spark Naturals order.

Share on Facebook485Tweet about this on Twitter24Pin on Pinterest8,329Google+11

Comments

1. Lori Enos Jones says

Hi first I want to say I love your posts!!
    Now, I have been told to spray your cloth not the item you want to dust. As it can cause spots. When I was young and had to dust I sprayed the furniture, but the furniture already had a high glossy finish. Now I have a lot of natural wood ( no high gloss ) and but mistake sprayed the furniture and it left spots. Had to really work at getting rid of them. So now I use a bottle and put the cloth over the opening and tip it over and then use the wet part of the rag to dust with. Find that it works really good , that way. So I guess what I am saying is if you have high gloss it probable is of to spray the furniture, but maybe not so much for the other.
    Thanks again!!

I agree, spray the cloth not the furniture!

But I wanted to comment on the spots on your furniture. My husband read somewhere to try putting Mayonaise on water spots on wooden furniture and the spots will disapear. We tried this after hot coffee was spilled on our antique buffet at Christmas, and it worked like a charm! The spots went away! I have no idea why the Mayo works, but it does! :-)

• Kelly C says

I use baby oil to get rid of water spots! Works amazingly well. Even if the stain is years old. (Inherited antiques). For stubborn water spots, leave baby oil on for a few hours, or over night, & wipe away! And the smell is nice too!

2. Tanis says

I made an all purpose cleaning spray with vinegar, water and lemon essential oil. I was reluctant to use it on our wood but now with the idea of olive oil, I’m going to try this out today! Thank you :)

Amy, normally I wouldn’t recommend putting EO’s in a plastic bottle but I actually used plastic for this. I figured it wasn’t a huge batch so it wouldn’t end up sitting long enough for the EO’s to eat through the plastic.

3. christy m says

I like this idea. It’s amazing how expensive these products are.
    I also love that I don’t have to buy anything to make this
    Because I already have all the ingredients at home.
    I love reading all your posts. They’re great.

4. Casey says

Would this also be okay to use to wipe down my leather furniture? I was thinking that the olive oil would be good for the leather and the other ingredients don’t seem like they would be harmful…????

5. Diana says

I have a strong aversion to the smell of vinegar. Can I leave it out and get the same results? I noticed someone mentioned using lemon juice, but I’d have to store the mixture in the fridge, right? (Not an option–fridge space is prime real estate here!)

Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

6. No1Twin says

I think all these DIY sprays etc. sound great but the essential oils are WAY expensive.
    Just a .25 oz. bottle is $10.00 or more. You make several batches from that bottle I realize…but not that often and you would have it sitting around til the next batch would be needed. Can it really be that economical? I am not just talking about this spray recipe…but several other DIY items I have read on the posts. They are tempting to try…but I cannot get myself to spend that much on a tiny bottle of oil that will be used one time a year or less.