A Safe & Simple Way To Clean Your Microwave

Clean Your Microwave

{Welcome to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week! So pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.}

Originally posted January 4, 2013 —

Several months ago I did a post on How To Clean and Shine Your Microwave. This is how I have been cleaning my microwave for years!

However, there were some readers that were concerned about superheated liquid causing explosions in the microwave (something that is completely avoidable if you follow the directions in the post!), while others simply didn’t like the smell of vinegar.

Well, recently my friend Natali told me how she cleans her microwave, and I, of course, had to give it a try! Guess what? It worked every bit as well as my original method, eliminated any risk of superheated liquid, AND it smelled better too. :-) I was immediately converted to “The Natali Method” and couldn’t wait to share it with all of you.

A few other “pros” of using this method…it’s simple…and completely non-toxic.

Here is what you will need:

• water
  • a sponge
  • a spray bottle
  • lemon essential oil

Clean Your Microwave

Start by getting your sponge wet. You want it completely saturated.

Clean Your Microwave

Place it in the microwave.

Clean Your Microwave

Then fill your spray bottle with a couple of ounces of water and approximately 3-5 drops of lemon essential oil. The ratio is completely up to you. If you want a stronger smell of lemon use more…or less if you want a subtler scent.

Clean Your Microwave

Spray the inside of your microwave with the lemon water. Make sure you spray it all over. Top, bottom, sides. Get it really wet! Then set the timer on the microwave for approximately 2 minutes (this will depend on how powerful your microwave is…2 minutes was just right for mine) and turn it on.

Clean Your Microwave

After the microwave turns off, leave the sponge inside with the door closed until it’s cool enough to handle and then use it to wipe out the inside. You have effectively just “steam-cleaned” your microwave.

Clean Your Microwave

You can also use the same sponge to wipe down the outside of the microwave as well…and anything else in the general vicinity that could use a little touch-up.

Now your microwave is clean AND fresh-smelling!

Remember to use the coupon code “jillee” to receive 10% off any Spark Naturals essential oil order!

Share on Facebook123Tweet about this on Twitter16Pin on Pinterest1,189Google+36

Comments

1. Elenajo says

Where do you buy Lemon a Essential Oils????? I love this idea please get back to me
    ASAP

Thanks
    Elena Jo Ciambriello

2. Kaz says

She has a link to Spark naturals i usually get mine from health food and specialty stores make sure they are therapuetic or food grade though

3. Kaz says

I have used lemon water too just water with lemon slices in it i like to soak my sponge in it and the heat from the microwave sanitizes your kitchen sponge too

4. Shari says

I have used a orange or lemon. Cut it in half squeeze juice from both halves into a bowl of water about 1/2 cup. Put bowl in microwave and you can set the fruit halves in bowl microwave for 2 to 3 minutes the heat will bring the oils out of the rinds of fruit and also steam the inside. Open door and wipe with cloth. Take any left over water and fruit peels and put down garbage disposer. Now microwave is clean and smells good and garbage disposer smells good. I love essential oils but they can be costly if used frequently so using the fruit is cheaper and serves 2 purposes.

5. Ashley Noles says

This is how I ‘sanitize’ my sponge. After I clean with it I microwave it to dry it out and kill any nasty little germs!

6. STACEY says

The best way to KEEP your microwave clean is to use a silicone dome cover. It keeps splatters from covering your insides. You need to throw it in the dishwasher often and clean the plate (inside the micro) but only once in a great while do you need to clean the cavity. I find this saves me time and is more sanitary. Anyway, I do think the lemon spray and sponge is a good idea when you need to clean it…….

Jill,

Great idea! Where can I find Lemon Essential Oil? I have never seen it.

I pinned this!
    Blessings,
    Diane Roark
    recipesforourdailybread com

8. donna mcbrearety says

You can buy essential oils (and lots of other good stuff here: (www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com They sell to anyone, you don’t have to be a wholesaler, and their prices are cheap!