Make Your Own Gardener’s Hand Scrub

Gardeners Hand Scrub

WELCOME to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week!

So pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.

–Originally posted March 16, 2012–

I love a great idea that is both useful for my home AND something that would make a great GIFT!

This “Gardener’s Hand Scrub” fits the bill PERFECTLY!

Kate at The Gaines Gang made these as end of the year Teacher Gifts…but this would make a wonderful gift for just about ANYONE who does any gardening at all!

Gardeners Hand Scrub

I used two different sizes of Ball jars, the 8 oz. and the 12 oz., and filled them 3/4 full of sugar.

Gardeners Hand Scrub

I then added Dawn dish soap (the pink kind with with Olay Beauty Hand Renewal in it) until it reached just below the bottom of the mouth of the jar.

Gardeners Hand Scrub

Stir the sugar and soap together….adding sugar a little at a time until it’s a paste-like consistency. You don’t want it to be too runny!

It smells SO good and the light pink color it makes when mixed with the white sugar is SO pretty.

Gardeners Hand Scrub

I also decided to add 4 to 5 drops of Lemon essential oil for its’ antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Plus, it made it smell even better. :-)

Gardeners Hand Scrub

For gift-giving you can add a label to the lid and attach a tag with the following instructions:  To wash the dirt off your hands, use a small amount and rub. The sugar works like an abrasive to remove the dirt, and the soap washes it all away.

Gardeners Hand Scrub

Since I have been potting (a LOT) of flowers this week….I have used a LOT of this scrub! I LOVE IT! It is great at getting my hands CLEAN and it makes them feel so soft!

If you do much gardening (or really ANY greasy/grimy activity)….I highly recommend whipping up a batch! You won’t be sorry! :-)

Share on Facebook506Tweet about this on Twitter21Pin on Pinterest10,086Google+51

Comments

1. Michelle says

Hi Jill,I work in a factory, and come home with ground in dirt(oil, mineral spirits) on my arms (from rubbing them against my filthy shirt while working)that is hard to get off. I made a batch of this tonight and scrubbed my arms. OMG! It worked wonderful, smelled wonderful, and my arms feel soft and smooth. I wear gloves, so my hands are not an issue, but my hands feel good too. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I also recently made your homemade laundry soap (the dry version) and I love it too. Thank you again.

2. Jill Nystul says

Anony….March 18….see today's post. :-)

Paula…great idea! Then you wouldn't have to put your dirty hands in it!

Michelle…that is wonderful! Tonight I was handling blueberries and realized my hands were stained blue. Got out the scrub…worked like a charm. :-) LOVE that stuff!

3. Allison says

Is there a way to print your posts without having to print pages & pages of extra stuff (like a printer friendly version)? I keep looking, and I can’t find one. Thanks!

4. Jillee says

Allison…thank you for reminding me! I had a Printer Friendly button on the website before the “makeover” and forgot to replace it! I will do that now.

Hi Jill,
    It’s my first time visiting your blog and this hand scrub is easy to make and great for party favors. Plus it looks really, really good. By the way, how about the effect of the soap, does it dry the skin?
    Thanks.
    Annabella Merlin
    Creative Photo Albums

6. Sharon Murphy says

Gonna have to make up some of this for my husband for when he come in from working on the car and his hands are covered in grease and oil (perhaps in a different colour for him though). Love your blog so many brilliant ideas.

7. Terri says

I love this idea! I would like to know the “shelf life” of this. Do we just leave it out…put it in the fridge?? I’d like to make some of this for my gramma and my aunt!

8. Chrissie says

I just made this for a friend’s birthday and I did the smallest jar and added about 4-5 drops of peppermint essential oil and it scrubbed so well AND gave it a little peppermint tingle when it was done. Smells SO good.
    I wonder if you could add a little honey. I’ll try that next time. Thank you

1. [...] Make Your Own Gardeners Hand Scrub How to Make an Herbal Oil Control Garden Pests the Natural Way Edible Flowers – Lavender Extend Your Gardening Season – Up to 4 months longer for less than $10. Pruning Tomato Suckers [...]