DIY Reusable Dryer Sheets

reusable dryer sheets

WELCOME to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week!

So pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.

—-Originally posted on May 19, 2012—-

I’ve been using my own homemade dryer sheets for about 9 months now and have been very happy with them.

But even though I may be an “old dog”…I can be taught “new tricks”.  When I saw this idea from Heather at Living On Love and Cents I decided it was worth trying something new.

The thing that appealed to me most about this idea was that it eliminated the need to fish a wet rag from the jar and squeeze it out before using. Which, to be honest, doesn’t really bother me, but then again…it’s not necessarily my favorite thing either. :-)

reusable dryer sheets

So, today I am sharing this updated version of Homemade Dryer Sheets for your consideration.

I decided to start with white dishrags I already had on hand in my stash. (I have a “thing” for white dishrags and towels from Walmart. It’s just one of those things I can’t really explain.)

I happened to have just enough Gain Fabric Softener left in this bottle to make this work. I have literally had this bottle for over a year because I dilute it so much I hardly use any of it.

reusable dryer sheets

reusable dryer sheets

I thoroughly soaked the dishrags in a bowl of full strength fabric softener. Don’t worry about measuring, you can always pour what you don’t use back in the bottle. :-)

You can also use whatever kind of fabric softener you want. I think next time I will try my Homemade Fabric Softener.

reusable dryer sheets

reusable dryer sheets

Allow the towels to dry THOROUGHLY!  I took mine outside and fashioned a makeshift clothesline using some rope and a few clothespins.  Even in this uber dry state I live in…they took awhile to dry COMPLETELY.

reusable dryer sheets

After all the rags are completely dry, I like to store them in pretty container on the counter of my laundry room. They look nice and are easily accessible!

TO USE:  Throw one sheet in with a load of clothes. I use them over and over and over before they need to be dipped and dried again. AT LEAST a dozen times each.

I have to say I am VERY pleased with the results of using this new method. Clothes are VERY soft and VERY nice smelling!

But MORE importantly (and the MAIN reason I use fabric softener) NO STATIC CLING!

UPDATE ON 5-3-14: I can’t believe it’s been almost 2 years ago since I started making my own dryer sheets using this method! I still use it to this day with almost every load of laundry. It is definitely one of my FAVORITE homemade laundry alternatives, right behind my Homemade Laundry Detergent.

reusable dryer sheets

Another PLUS about using these “dry” cloths vs. the kind that are wet is there is less worry about getting any “spots” on the clothing that you are drying. I’ve never had that problem…but I know others have complained about it.

So give it a try and let me know what you think.  I think you’ll like it too. :-)

You might also be interested in some of the other homemade laundry solutions I have posted about. (Yes, I have a bit of an obsession!):

Share on Facebook88Tweet about this on Twitter9Pin on Pinterest1,810Google+7

Comments

1. Connors says

When you say a load laundry, you’re talking about placing in the dryer???? So it doesn’t work for line drying???

2. Debbie says

You mentioned trying it with home made softener. Did you? How did it work?

3. Ginny says

I use an old washrag covered with safety pins…stops static cling in the dryer.

4. Laurie S. says

I made several wool dryer balls, and do much the same thing with them. For my fabric softener, I use a 1:1:1 ratio of fabric softener, vinegar and water. I have four balls lined up on a rack on the dryer. I take the one on the left (the #1 ball) and throw it into the load that needs to be dried. Once the load is dried, I dip the dryer ball (very briefly) partway into the solution, squeeze the wet part against the right-most ball in the line-up, place it on the right, and now this becomes the #4 ball! This allows each ball to dry thoroughly between each use. I, too, take a very long time to go through a bottle of softener! Jillee’s method was definitely the inspiration for this!

5. Michele says

I use the sponges soaked in softener method right now…I love the results but hate having to fish the wet sponges out of the jar every time! I’m going to definitely try this! On my way to get some new washcloths! lol

6. ramcclain says

I quit using dryer sheets because of the buildup in the dryer filter screen, which, although you clean it, does not totally clean it. If you are using dryer sheets, about once a month needs to be cleaned with soap and water; otherwise, you can see that water will not go thru very readily. I have been using vinegar in my softener spot in my front loader, and also in a top loader, for a while. Does not smell, eliminates static cling, AND helps to get all the soap out of the load.

I would be interested to know if using this method leaves the same residue as dryer sheets on the filter screen.

7. Donna Henson says

Hey Jillee. i’m glad that you have recovered from your hand surgery and i love all of your posts, I have a question for you, i just purchased some orange essential oil and i want to make a mixture of raw shea butter, coconut oil and orange oil for my hair, what do you think of this combination?

8. Joe says

This is from yahoo answers.

Clothes become static charged when fabrics rub together and exchange electrons, they become negatively charged. Dryer sheets contain positively charged ingredients that are released by heat and movement, such as the tumbling motion of the dryer. They leave a residue that will bond to any negatively charged fabric surface, such as a piece of clothing with static cling, neutralizing the charge. They also lubricate the clothes somewhat so they don’t rub against each other so much. They make your clothes smell good because the ingredients in them smell good. =)

This is the suggestion from TV’s “The Chew.” Throw in a ball of aluminum foil 3 inches in diameter. I used one ball the entire nasty winter of 2013-14 and no static cling. I’m still using it in May. No added oil for fragrance, but then you can do that yourself. The oil from dryer sheets plug up your lint filter over time. Be sure to wash you lint filter with soap and water every month or so. I’m told a dryer sheet rubbed on your skirt will stop the skirt from sticking to your panty hose. I wonder if a sheet of aluminum foil will do the same? I won’t try it, because I’m male.

I’m sure the DIY dryer sheets work as described. I’m just going for a cheaper and easier way, for be at least.