Springtime is just around the corner, and with it comes the need to clean, organize, and de-clutter! Time to purge your home of junk and make way for safer, happier home. To help you get started, here are my suggestions for 30 items that you can get rid of today.
Note: Some items can be handed-down, some can be donated, and you might even be able to sell a few things! When you do have to throw something away, try to recycle it when possible. Here is a list of 25 items that you may not have know you could recycle!
1. Get rid of old cell phones, broke electronics, and outdated gadgets. They’re just taking up space, and you might be able to get some cash in exchange from an ecoATM!
2. All of your owner’s manuals and user guides can be found online – no need to hold on to them!
3. Check your board games and deck of cards for any missing pieces. Throw away anything you haven’t played in a while and anything that’s incomplete.
4. Go through your collection of office supplies and throw away dried out pens and markers. If you have extras of anything, keep them in a separate drawer or basket to make your desk area less cluttered.
5. Check your wrapping paper and get rid of anything that’s wrinkled or torn.
6. Do you have any old remote controls lying around? If you can’t figure out what they’re for, get rid of them!
7. Put away your winter clothes and donate anything that wasn’t used this year.
8. Travel guidebooks that are over a few years old aren’t very useful anymore, so search the internet instead and save some space on your shelf!
9. Implement one charging station in your house, and get rid of extra cables and old chargers that you don’t use.
10. Check your makeup for expiration dates, and throw away anything old, unflattering, or impractical. Throw out any mini toiletries that you won’t be using, or turn your collection of bar soap into hand soap!
11. Dictionaries, thesauruses, maps and atlases can be accessed from your phone or computer – no use taking up all that space!
12. Take-out menus and information about local businesses can also be found online.
13. If your linen closet is over-flowing, get rid of blankets, sheets and towels that you don’t need.
14. Lighten-up your keychain by removing keys you can’t identify and keychains you don’t love.
15. Get rid of any latex paint if it’s over a year old.
16. The other day I realized that I have two can openers, measuring spoons I can’t read, and a few spoons that I never use! I’m always searching for something in my utensil drawer, so it’s nice to have a little more space. :-) Get rid of chopsticks and condiment packets, too.
17. Do you still have old VHS tapes lying around? Unless they’re keepsakes or you watch them regularly, just save yourself the space!
18. Condense your cleaning tools and supplies into a caddy, and get rid of anything you don’t use.
19. After going through my medicine cabinet, I realized I had some expired vitamins, allergy medicine and Ibuprofen. Be sure to safely dispose of any medications!
20. I can’t remember the last time I used a phone book – time to throw them out!
21. Old prescription eyeglasses can be donated at lionsclubs.org.
22. Socks without a match can be used as a mop head for your Swiffer, or you can make “stinky pinkys” to absorb odor from your shoes.
23. Make a new gel air freshener, and throw away dried out potpourri, empty plug-ins, and old candles.
24. If your kids used to play an instrument or a sport that now resides in your garage, consult them before getting rid of the unused equipment.
25. When I gathered all of my reusable shopping bags, I realized that I had a huge collection! Take the biggest bag, and fill it with your favorites. Get rid of the rest!
26. Bridesmaid and prom dresses can be donated at operationprom.org.
27. I collect and reuse most jars and bottles, but I had to throw out a few items that I didn’t use or that were missing lids.
28. Keep all of your children’s schoolwork in a storage bin, and get rid of anything doesn’t make you proud, make you smile, or make you laugh. :-)
29. Save some space on the kitchen counter by getting rid of appliances you never use.
30. I have one vase that I use every time I have flowers, and finally got rid of the other five!
Carve out a few hours this month to evaluate the things in your house you can toss. You’ll be happy you did.
What things do you have a hard time getting rid of?