My Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner – Part Deux!

kitchen-cleaner-1.22.13This post is brought to you by Amazon where you can get deals on household cleaners!

So…the other day I was finishing up the dishes of the day and hand-scrubbing the jelly roll pans (cookie sheets), because they don’t fit in the dishwasher, and was quite appalled when I realized just how stained and nasty-looking they were!

In my defense…I have had these pans a LOONNNGGGG time! I think my Mom bought them for me when we were first married from Orson Gygi.  They have seen a LOT of kitchen “action” since then.

It wasn’t until a couple of years ago, when I became a Giada deLaurentis groupie, that I started using foil on my cookies sheets EVERYTIME I used them. Saves me SOOOO much clean up time…and grief.  But these pans have seen a LOT of abuse over the years.

kitchen miracle cleaner

As I stared at the pans I wondered how my “miracle” cleaner would work on these.  A couple of weeks ago I shared how the “miracle” of baking soda and peroxide had pretty much changed my life. ;-)

kitchen miracle cleaner

Well, ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration…but I was FLOORED at how well it works on pretty much everything in my kitchen.  I mean look at these hard water stained utensils! They look like new!

But my jelly roll pans….these were a whole different level of stained! My “miracle” cleaner couldn’t possibly work on them….or could it??  hmmmmm.  You know I had to find out.

Well, like they say….a picture’s worth a thousand words!

TADA!

kitchen miracle cleaner
I’m a leftie, so I work left to right

I cleaned HALF of this pan and left the other 1/2 untouched to show the stark difference!  And honestly, it really didn’t even take a whole lot of scrubbing to get it to look like this! My husband thinks I am insane….I was practically GIDDY cleaning my disgusting pans! :-)  I DO have to tell you though…the stuff in the corners and on the sides of the pan were MUCH harder (almost impossible) to get completely clean.  I managed to get a LOT of the build-up off…but those areas were much more of a challenge. I doubt I’ll get them completely clean…but it’s such a vast improvement…I really don’t even care. :-)

Anyway, I just couldn’t resist sharing another cleaning success story using my “miracle” cleaner. Hopefully some of you out there get as excited about this stuff as I do.  If you haven’t tried it yet….do it!  You’ll be amazed!!!

This post is brought to you by Amazon:

Share on Facebook1243Tweet about this on Twitter32Pin on Pinterest789744Google+31

Comments

1. hbs1991 says

I am confused? Where is part one of this post? I would like to know the process you used to clean the pans, I am moving soon, and would love to clean my baking sheets the way you have BEFORE I move. I have looked for a link to the the first part and cannot seem to locate it and looked in the archives.
    Thanks for your help! I am looking forward to nice clean and shiny pans again.

• Amanda Collins says

she has the link to the first ‘miracle cleaner’ page on this page. If you scroll up, it’s the red, underlined words that say “the miracle of baking soda and peroxide” Hope this helps, :)

2. Anonymous says

I think I'm doing something wrong. Tried the miracle cleaner, didn't work at all! Thought maybe my peroxide was old, bought new, still didn't work. Left it on for 1/2 hour, no go! Poured boiling water on it and then did peroxide, baking soda another 20 min, nothing!
    Has anyone else has success with this process! Am I doing something wrong? (Tried it on cookie sheet and frying pan)

• Ann says

I just read a similar post. The trick, I think, is this: Mix the baking soda and peroxide. Wait until the fizzing stops. Then use the baking soda at the bottom of the mixture to clean with. This was suggested as a cleaner for moldy looking stains on refrigerator seals…scrubbed with a toothbrush!

• AmyR says

Dozens of people have blogged about their attempts to replicate the results described in this post and no one has gotten the fabulous results promised. Many of them tried it several times, several different ways in case they were doing it wrong. Steel wool does the job or just put some aluminum foil down and ignore how the pan looks underneath. But, no, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, left for a few hours, does not yield the results shown with a little rubbing and scrubbing. Most testers posted before and after photos and it took out a little of the overall bronze patina, but did nothing to restore the pans where the darker harder deposits were burned onto them. Just get a new pan or find someone strong to use the steel wool on them.

• Deb says

I use dawn overnight soak in 5 minutes let it sit for atleast the five minutes then clean the detergent off with a magic eraser then a microfiber cloth. Works perfectly every time.

• georgia says

I used Dawn Power Dissolver on my baking sheets and it got the gunk off, however, it made my food taste like chemicals. Tried putting them in the oven for self cleaning, scrubbed with steel wool, soaked them. They still had a weird taste, so I tossed them

It only took about 5 months of my kids using Pam spray on the new pans for them to get gunked up. This time I tried this “Miracle Cleaner” but it did not work for me either. :( I’m sad and disappointed.

• Samantha Will says

I use Baking Soda & Borax to clean my Kitchen. If I want a Paste I have a bottle of 1/4 C Peroxide, 1 Tblsp Baking soda, 1 tblsp Borax, 2 Tblsp dawn or Dr Bonners & 1 C water. Shake it up good, but make sure there is room in the bottle for expansion or leave lid off Trust me on this. Mine Expanded all over the Kitchen.

First I sprinkle just the Baking SodaBorax mix on the counter/Stove. Then lightly Moisten with the Liquid mixture. It works just like Soft Scrub. I wipe down several times to get the grit off, but it really works and there have been no Ants this Summer. Oxy Clean is Just Washing Soda(Bake your Baking Soda for a couple of Hours till its Ashy) and Peroxide. I often add the Washing Soda to the Mix above to kick up the power.

• Sue says

The best and easiest way to clean glasstop or ceramic cooktops is….Bar Keepers Friend. You can find it at just about any grocery store…right next to Comet. Use the powder form, not the liquid or gel. Clean your cooktop as well as you can, use the razor to get off any burnt on stuff. Add just a little water to the entire cooktop…just get it damp. Sprinkle on the Bar Keepers Friend. Use a rag, sponge, Mr. Eraser….anything and scrub in circles. You want a paste so add more cleaner or water to get the texture. Wipe off leaving a haze. Let dry then come back with a clean rag and wipe off the haze. CLEAN!!!

• Michelle says

I use a salt, vinegar, lemon, borax rub. just rub it in circular motions with my hands, it gets so clean it is almost brand new! Clean off with my all purpose kitchen cleaner. 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 tbsp dawn, 1/3 c borax and 10 drops tea tree oil. Warm a cup of water up, pour borax in to dissolve. Add all liquids to spray bottle then fill to top. Be sure that the borax is dissolved before using. I sometimes add a few tbsp of lemon juice for scent. This spray can be used for everything from counter top cleaner to windows!

I have used it on our glass top before and it works good. I actually just sprinkle the baking soda on the stove and cover it with a soapy wet towel (wrung out a little) and let it sit for 30 minutes then start scrubbing with the towel and it comes pretty clean…My stove top is black so I am not sure how well it works on white :)

3. Anonymous says

I tried this tonight with a drop or 2 of ammonia on the inside of the oven door. I covered the paste with plastic and let it sit for about 30 minutes. A few swipes with a plastic onion bag got most of the crud off. Then I finished it off with a magic eraser…beautiful! I've been trying to clean this thing for a week!

4. Anonymous says

Another little hint for baking soda: add 1 cup to your bath water and it will get rid of yeast infections. If you use it every time you take a bath you'll never have another infection. A very nice side effect is that it softens your skin. Learned this from my child's pediatrician about 37 years ago and have been free of them for that long; which is amazing for me. Hope it helps — I know that I try and share it with everyone that I know about this little trick. It's a whole lot cheaper and a lot cleaner then all of those medicines they sell. If you have an infection it does take a little while to clear it up. That is why I recommend using it all of the time and be free from them.

• Beth says

I am diabetic. Sometimes I get lazy about taking my insulin (always poking a finger to test, then 7 injections thru the day & bedtime). Maybe that is discouraged, as sometimes without b/t shot my am sugar is good & with the b/t shot the am sugar is high. Anyway a few days of laxness leads to yeast insanity. I don’t like to sit in the tub and don’t have one at the camp. Hmmm… maybe a baby bathtub will fit my posterior. I heard plain yogurt, no added sugar or fruit, applied daily works for some along with probiotic capsules 12-25million/cpsule 1/d (2 if you are desperate & can’t get to the drug store). The greek yogurt is thicker so it might be less mess. I do like the new product that is no longer requires a perscription. It has fluc… in its name. The pharm said that it was the new Cannes brand – No Way!

• Samantha Will says

the Yogurt Usually Works the Same Day. Might be the Cold helps the Burning. I used to clean for a pediatrician and she told me to do this. I thought she was crazy, but it worked. Also Up your intake of Orally taken Yogurt. That helps as well.

5. Anonymous says

Love your hints!! They are awesome! I have to throw my two cents in on this one-even tho it's not a 'natural' cleaner, the white sponges (the big bald guy!! LOL) work great on most all of the problems that people have listed here. It doesn't take a whole lot of elbow grease either. They are not as expensive as when they first came out-WalMart even has their own version of them. My sinks stay white, every bit of old grease comes off of pans (with a little bit of elbow grease) it keeps the white part of tennis shoes white, keeps the fridge door clean, just so many uses!! It's my miracle sponge!!

• Megan says

The Mr Clean Magic Erasers? I bought some at Deals (dollar store) 2 for $1 and they work just as well. I was amazed at how it got the rust stains out of my so-called stainless steel sinks AND black scuffed paint off of our white walls and baseboards. My husband thought I was nuts for going around the house and looking for things to try to clean with them lol

6. DeDe says

When my pans are gunked up and can't be cleaned with routine cleaning, I use what I use in my oven: oven cleaner! Lay newspaper down, spray, let sit as for a cold oven, and proceed with the cleaning. I've used this method on Pyrex to Stainless Steel. Perhaps someone else mentioned this above, but I didn't have time to read them all. Love your site! DeDe :)

• Beth says

Oven cleaner on pans. Place in black garbage bag. Set out in the sun. Solar energy warms it up and does a nice job. You can even do the clean up outside and get your dose of Vitamin D for the day. O, if you forget that you put it out today, you can do it tomorrow. Or maybe your husband will clean up for you.

• Niecie says

Try using a garbage bag, place your cook wear in it, pour in some ammonia (don’t need much your just using the fumes), tie up the bag the as tight as possible (I used twist ties and zip ties). Make sure you don’t set it on any wood surface (lesson learned) I usually place mine on my garage floor so the fumes don’t get in my house either. Let sit for about 24 hrs.When times past, just wash down like usual. You can also do this to your stove top covers, oven racks, and grills.

7. Anonymous says

I was also very excited to try this after seeing it on Pinterest. Tried once with no luck and discovered my peroxide was expired. Opened a brand new bottle and…same thing. No luck. Pans look just as bad as before. But it WAS worth a try. I wonder if it makes a difference on the type of pans. My cookie sheets are a dark metal, not the shiny silver.

• J Aubu says

I would try vinegar with the baking soda, it will definitely fizz, it is a good cleaner to freshen your drains, pour baking soda in drain first then follow that with white vinegar and let stand . After a while rinse thoroughly with hot water ane your drains will smell fresher.

• Beth says

Drain Cleaner: Recipe from a Halifax, NS Enviroment Friendly Group from 25 yrs ago. Works for us. A little pricey but buy it at bulk or natural food store.
        Pour 1/3 c cream of tartar powder into your drain.
        Pour in 1/2 – 1 c white vinegar.
        Immediately follow with 1 litre boiling water.
        Put plug in drain and leave for a while.

• MahtaMouse says

I’ve used a variation of this one for years to unclog my sink (I’m on septic so don’t use chemical drain cleaners)… it works and is inexpensive. The use of baking soda in place of cream of tartar also leaves the drain smelling sweeter.

Pour 1/2C baking soda down drain. Add 1/2C white vinegar and cover drain for 5 min.
          Finally, pour 5C boiling water down the drain.

8. Anonymous says

I wonder if it has to do with the source of the discoloration? I use a pan spray that has lecithin in it, which can contribute to stubborn sticky residue. I did try this, with very little result. I wasn't getting anything off with a scouring pad, then hubby got a plastic pan scraper and got off a bit in the middle. I often use "bar keepers friend" powder for this kin d of mess, and get better results than the peroxide and baking soda. I really wonder if the difference between the "didn't work at all" and "wow that was awesome" crowds are what's been used on the pan!

• Andrea says

Most the dentist I’ve ever been too have suggested using baking soda for teeth. And believe me, when I was growing up, sometimes all we had was baking soda to brush our teeth (I’m only 40). No enamel problems at all, so say the dentist ;)

9. Anonymous says

I used the baking soda and h.peroxide mixture in my shower. It worked better (alot better) than dawn and white vinegar mixture. I have hard water that turns the texture in the shower orange. This mixture cleaned it but when I used it on my cookie sheet it did not work very well.

• Megan says

Thanks for the tip, I HATE the smell of vinegar and can’t use it so I’ve been hoping something like this would work for the shower now that they stopped making my favorite cleaner :(

10. Georgette says

I was so excited to try your Miracle Cleaner, so I went at it, and I went at it, and at it, and nothing, I was so disappointed. I decided to read what others were saying and if anyone had my misfortune as well. Come to find out that the cleaner doesn't work well if your products are expired, (imagine that, haha). So out I went to purchase new, fresh products, came home anxiously to try all over again. Turns out that fresh and new does make a difference, haha. Pan is spanking new and shiny, I'm just sorry I didn't take a before and after picture. I am so grateful for this tip and for Pinterest. I was ready to go get a new toaster over, (oh yeah, that's what desperately needed cleaning), so thank you again for your tip and for saving me lots of $$$$.

• jen says

I use just a paste of baking soda and water to clean the stovetop, the oven, and the grates. I was surprised how well it worked. I applied the paste directly on the stovetop – I have the regular gas stove. By the time I had rinsed out my sponge and waled back to the stove all I had to do was wipe. No scrubbing at all. same with the oven. The grates I put in a sink of baking soda and water. I did have to scrub a little after they soaked about 30 minutes. No ammonia fumes. and I am the most cleaning challenged person there is.

• Beth says

Careful!! You can’t use oven cleaner in propane or gas ovens. My mom loved her propane stove except
      the pain of not being able to use regular oven cleaners. They stopped making the one she could use.
      She doesn’t have the propane anymore. I must have my husband clean her oven for her the next time, he says women shouldn’t have to clean ovens. Man’s job! Mom’s 83 she shouldn’t anymore either.

• sue says

Don’t have oven cleaner? Just put your oven shelves and burner grates in a garbage bag. Pour in a some ammonia, close & secure the garbage bag with twisty-ties, kitchen twine, or something to keep the vapors in the bag. leave outside overnight (I just lay the sealed bag on the ground). Open the bag the next day….stand back as you open the bag as the vapors will be concentrated. Spray off with water using the garden hose. If there is anything spots left of, using a scrub pad.. lightly scub to remove the “left-ons”. This works really wll during the summer months when you have the heat to help with the process.

• MahtaMouse says

what does the ammonia do to your surrounding plants?? I don’t have sewer or storm drains in the road (which here in WA we’re constantly reminded not to pour things down because of our streams and waterways).

11. Diana says

Bummer. I was so excited to try this after seeing it on pinterest, but it didn’t work at all. I scrubbed and scrubbed, then let sit on the pan for an hour, then scrubbed again. Nothing. :-(

12. ashley says

Disappointed that it too did not work for me. I have some really gross cookie sheets that I was hoping to spruce up with this “miracle” cleaner, but nothing! I am slightly happier knowing that others tried it with out success too, but over all sad that it didn’t work for my pans. I have learned late in the game that a sheet of aluminum foil can save a pan from this horrible tragedy.

16a13635108We’re a group of volunteers and einnpog a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you. 18d

14. Carrie says

@Melynda,

I take a black plastic garbage bag and lay it on top of an old cookie sheet, inside the garbage bag I put my burners and drip pans from my gas stove, I pour about a cup of household ammonia inside, tie a knot in the bag and leave it overnight. In the morning rinse off the ammonia (hold your breath!) the grease and stains practically fall off with minimal scrubbing.

• Megan says

Baby bottle brushes work well also, They are about $2 and have a sponge end with round bristles and get one that has a nipple cleaner and it’s much better and sturdier than a toothbrush in those crevices. We also use it to clean the fish tank (a separate one of course).

• nelsonjane says

ay i love my old toothbrushes! they also work great for keeping keeping the tub drain free of hair balls! just sort jam the toothbrush into the drain and turn it round and round and pull out a nasty looking hair ball that will make you cringe! eek! so gross. use gloves so you don’t have to touch the slimy beast. twice a week and your bathtub will always drain very well as you take a shower. No more standing in ankle deep water!

15. Amack says

I tried this on a very old cookie sheet that has lost its “non stck” surface, much like the picture. I could see the bubbles working and saw some of the cooking spray grime coming off. I did scrub it too, but it was great to get it off. Now I will switch to a more natural spray instead of cooking spray.

I found this post via pinterest! We are currently in the process of moving, and these tips are amazing! I’m always looking for “home remedies” of a sort to make cleaning a bit more easy without being overly toxic! thanks for sharing!!!

Chandra

17. Heidi says

This worked amazingly for me! I had a glass dish with baked on, burnt teriyaki sauce. I tried everything and was about ready to throw it away when I found this–thank you! I had to do it three times to get every last bit off, but it was like new in about 20 minutes!

18. Alyssa says

I’ve had a lovely, rectangular shaped rust stain in the bottom of my kitchen sink for years (left a wet cookie sheet in there – whoops!) and I just tried this and my sink is SPOTLESS!!! Now I’m off to clean anything I can find :)

19. ali says

Got my cookie sheet back to a nice silvery color but didnt work on the most darkened cooked on spots. I think this will work perfectly if done more often on cookie sheets. As far as casserole dishes, crockpot, etc…I love the dryer sheet and warm water soak over night. Almost no scrub!

20. SASSY says

I didn’t use foil my new oven I found out that it can ruin the pans and the oven. The bottom of my new oven was starting to show rust and a raised swirl type pattern on the bottom of the oven. When the repair guy came he said that using foil could cause the oven damage. The only time I used foil was to line a pan which ruined the pan after repeated use. The solution: Use parchment paper to line your pans. Much less scrubbing and much lessoven cleaning

21. Deb says

If I have food stuck to a pan I sprinkle baking soda over it then add boiling water, then let it sit for 30 mins or more, rinse and then wipe out. Works every time and no elbow grease required.

22. Jennifer says

Unfortunately, the miracle cleaner was no miracle. I had new baking soda and peroxide…my cookie pans didn’t budge on coming clean. It was however a good cleaner for other things…stovetop, microwave, doors, etc. however then I had to turn around and go back over all the surfaces with a clean wet cloth as the cleaner left gritty residue. A little too much work for daily use, but good for those in-depth cleaning days!

23. Sharmela says

Worked on my stovge top, worked on my saucepan too. Saucepan wasnt too dirty, but it’s shining beautifully now.

Did a wipe on my toaster & table top counters (which has curry droplets, someone trickled some a few days ago, and the yellow stains refuse to lighten). IT CAME RIGHT OFF.

Had to use a rough pad to wipe, but so worth it!

24. Lena says

I don’t know about this idea since it didn’t work for a lot people but I have tip. Someone said Magic Erasers. I love those things but they disintegrate really fast if you get going. If you don’t have one or run out try using a lighty wet and run out dryer sheet. If you have smudges on the wall or your fridge door it works great. It also can cut grease on your cook top. If I have a pan that is really yucky and caked on I put scalding hot water in the pan and swish a dryer sheet in it. Leave it there for about 10 mins and your pan will clean really well. Just rinse really well. There’s nothing it in harmful so give it a try. Tell me if people like this idea :) GL!

• nelsonjane says

re: anitat ~ i’m thinking the ‘seasoning’ your are referring to is only important for cast iron skillets/dutch ovens and those expensive pampered chef stone dishes or any stone/clay dishes. You are right about that. That is so totally true for those type of dished. But for aluminum pans/cookie sheets and the outside of your boiling pots and those with that baked enamel i think it is called, this is great!

25. Amy Benson says

I’ve done this with vinegar and baking soda, but never tried it with peroxide.

For those who weren’t able to make this work for them, my mother discovered an easy way to clean stained cookie sheets. She had one just as badly stained as in the picture above, and put it in the oven on the self-clean cycle. Yep – the cycle meant for cleaning the oven! Out came a sparkling clean cookie sheet (well, after she wiped off the ash, anyway!).

1. [...] 67,475 Homestead Survival "This is my "recipe": I put about 1/4 cup of baking soda in a small glass bowl and squirt in hydrogen peroxide until it makes a nice paste. Then I rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease…whatever! I usually just use my fingers…but I also use a small sponge at times as well. " My Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner – Part Deux! | One Good Thing by Jillee [...]

2. [...] הגברת החביבה הזו נשבעת בתערובת של אבקת סודה לשתיה ומי חמצן 3%. כרבע כוס אבקה, שהיא שפכה עליה מי חמצן עד שהתקבלה משחה… מנקה כלי מטבח כמו מלכה. בלינק יש גם תמונה שמראה איך היא ניקתה תבנית אלומיניום כזו, והאמת- נראה מרשים! [...]

3. [...] as well, you may have a  few “nasty” pans that could be cleaned first.Check out this AWESOME TIP that shows you how to clean off all the gunk on your pans to get you nice and ready for all that Christmas [...]