Homemade “Shout” Stain Remover

Homemade Shout

. . . Better Than The Real Thing!

I did my initial post about making your own homemade version of Shout Stain Remover not long after I started this blog….back in July of this year!  Wow…time flies.
At the time I hadn’t been using it very long and didn’t have any pictures to share….so I figured it was time for an update. Something I like to call “walkin the walk”. ;-)
I was actually inspired to DO this update after my 16 year old presented me with this shirt to wash last week.  He said it had been sitting in the bottom of his dirty clothes basket for awhile. (I don’t think I even want to know what HIS version of “awhile” is!)  All you “professional” clothes washers out there will know exactly what that is on the front of it.  Yep…chocolate. A chocolate stain on a shirt that had been in his closet for “awhile”. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to show how my homemade “Shout” performs under pressure!

First, let’s review the “recipe”:

homemade shout

Homemade Stain Remover (Shout)

(I had Palmolive on hand, so that’s what I used)

Mix everything together and pour into a spray bottle. I got this one at Wal-Mart for about a buck. (I actually got SEVERAL of them for the array of natural/homemade cleaners I have started using. My inventory continues to expand!)

Before you go to use it…if it’s been sitting for awhile…give it a good shake.  As you can see in this picture…it does tend to separate a bit. But after a quick shake it’s good to go.  To use: spray on stains as you normally would.  I usually let mine “soak in” for a few minutes at least.  Then launder as usual.

In this case, since the chocolate stain posed a bit more of a challenge…I took a few extra seconds (literally, that’s all it took) and rubbed the fabric together where I’d sprayed and when I was finished was somewhat shocked to see the stain was practically already GONE! It’s still there….but barely visible.  My old bottle of “real” Shout never did that!

Homemade Shout

So I tossed it in the washer with the usual suspects….homemade laundry soap, a little of my
faux “OxiClean and about a teaspoon of my favorite new laundry ally…Fresh Scent Downy Unstopables.  I just love how it makes my clothes smell! I know it’s a bit of an indulgence (it’s fairly pricey at about $8 at bottle) but with all the money I save making my own detergent…I’m OK with it.

And through the magic of the internet…….TADA!  Here is the “AFTER” shot.

Homemade Shout

Once again…clean and pristine. I think even my son was impressed with this one. I really don’t think he believed I could prevail with this one.  HA!  That’ll teach him to doubt my laundering prowess. lol.

So that is my latest adventure in “clotheskeeping” (Martha Stewart knows how to make anything sound more glamorous!)   I hope you find it helpful in your “battles” in the laundry room!

Share on Facebook1,902Tweet about this on Twitter24Pin on Pinterest275,619Google+13

Comments

1. Fontaine says

I have problems too with the sprayer getting clogged. The baking soda looks like it is all on the bottom. It still works if you can get it on the garment. Any advice? Thanks!

• Jorjann says

Try putting it into an old dish soap bottle and just squirting it on… I had the same problem and that is what I am doing with this batch.

• Carol says

Try heating it in the microwave first for about a minute wit the lid off, then shake well. But the tube has to be clean and free of dried baking soda debris. So clean it while the solution is in the microwave

• Linda says

I am just on my second batch and it works fantastic! What I did this time was put it in an old laundry soap bottle and will pour it out that way. I can also use the cap. Make sure you shake real hard before each use.

• vickey says

I had the same problem with my sprayer clogging up.all i did was got my water real hot put washing soda in the water .stir until it dissolved .put in spray bottle worked great.

• SheChef says

I know these are old posts, but I just found this website. I made this today. I’ve been spending a fortune on toxic cleaners and decided to try some DIY. Wow, I’m hooked. One of my favorite products is Oxiclean Gel Stick, but it’s expensive and doesn’t last long, so I took this basic recipe and modified it. I have some slightly bigger than normal ‘squeeze bottles’ that I purchased at Amazon.com – link below. I used 1/3 cup dawn liquid soap; 1/3 cup ammonia; 1 cup warm water; 1 teaspoon Xanthun Gum. I put the lid on, plugged the hole, shook it up and Voila! I looks and works just like Oxiclean. Imagine that. Happy washing!

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-ChefsTM-Translucent-Plastic-Squeeze/dp/B007OM9W2E/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1373829802&sr=1-2&keywords=Squeeze+Bottles -

2. Anonymous says

made the shout and it worked great. i am however having trouble with the spray bottles getting jammed up too. baking soda is clogging up the sprayer and baking soda is in chunks on the bottom.i used hot water to dissolve it in but it appears to have un-dissolved! any solutions or ideas. if its working with the baking soda all solid is the baking soda necessary? what does it do in this solution? thanks for any help

3. Jill Nystul says

I've been giving this some thought. Not sure why mine doesn't clog. I do make sure and shake it well before each use. Sometimes I'll get some dried baking soda residue that collects around the nozzle. When that happens I just run it under hot water for a minute.
    I'm guessing if you cut back on the baking soda, you would still see good results. A little experimenting might be in order. :-)

• ~joanne says

I’ve put mine in two different spray bottles…mine doesn’t appear to get clogged (even though there is baking soda on the bottom of the bottle..I just shake before use)…mine seems to be that the sprayer it’s self breaks…I’m guessing maybe the ammonia eats something in the sprayer???…I like the solution though….I will try in a dish soap bottle

4. Amanda says

New to your blog…just had a question…do you know how to get white undershirts to stay white? My husbands turn yellow all around the neck. I've tried a few different methods, but so far no luck. And things overall seem to get dingy grey after a few months.

• Virginia Edwards says

I wash all the “white” clothes with Clorox and my husband’s underwear , T-shirt, socks, etc. are always nice and fresh. I also rinse a 2nd time to get some more of the bleach smell out. After they try, they smell clean and fresh.

• Tashia says

What’s the website/recipie for whiting white clothes and keeping them white?
        I notice hotels I’ve worked at in the past, always kept their cloths pretty bright white and fluffy? What’s the secret???

• Francis says

I use hydrogen peroxide in my washer. It brightens everything and doesnt hurt clothes if you let it sit for 20 min.

• Laurie says

Make sure you rinse your clothes with vinegar. No kidding – doing JUST that, over time we got rid of the underarm and other sweat stains in our clothes.

5. katelynn says

Do you think this would work for pen stain?? or what ideas would you have for removing pen stain? thanks ps love your blog!

• Carol says

Try hair spray. Aqua net if that is still out there or any cheap hair spray will do!

• Tammy says

Handsanitizer works great…it is the alcohol in it that breaks down the ink. You can use rubbing alcohol as well but make sure you pour it through just one side of the shirt or pants so it doesn’t bleed through to the other layer. Could put a paper towel behind to catch the ink. Tried this many times and it works great!

• Hester Opperman says

I use dettol the brown one and spray on pen marks, I am a nurse with white uniforms and it works perfectly but not on permanent markers.

6. Anonymous says

Is this "safe" to use on colored clothes? I so am going "greener" with my cleaning products! Love this idea!!!

• Lori says

sorry but I don’t think of ammonia as a green product. I know that in many people like me it causes irritation of respiratory, especially lungs, i try to stay far away from it.

7. Jill Nystul says

I have used this MANY times on colored clothes with no problems. As a matter of fact…last night I used it on a dark red t-shirt of my sons that had some mysterious grease spots on it. I even rubbed it in pretty good…no discoloration at all. :-) Hope this helps!