Simple Handmade EDIBLE Gift – Homemade Hot Chocolate

homemade hot chocolateHere’s a“Christmas Miracle”for you….we have 10 more days until Christmas and I have already made and packaged my neighbor/friend/co-worker gifts! I know, I know…pretty crazy huh? I’m usually frantically baking right up until Christmas Eve. But not this year…this year I’ve been inspired by all the wonderful things I see on Pinterest and in Blogland and could hardly wait to give at least one a try.

So here are my simple handmade neighbor/friend/teacher/co-worker, etc gifts for this year. If you are one of my neighbors/friends/teachers or co-workers…please step away from the computer.

I <3 hot chocolate! But, believe it or not, have never made my own. Why? I have no idea because it is so easy, it’s kind of ridiculous.

I used this simple recipe for Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix at EatAtHomeCook.com.

It’s SUPER fast and easy to make…and delicious too!  As a matter of fact, I am sipping a large mug-full of it right now and it is smooth, creamy, and just the right amount of sweet.
homemade hot chocolate

Plus, when you add the mix to your hot water or milk…it dissolves beautifully!  No globs floating on top!  (I only had BIG marshamallows, so I cut them in fourths. That would explain the strangely shaped white things floating on top!)

homemade hot chocolate

Here’s what you’ll need:

4 cups powdered milk
21.8 oz box Nestle’s Quik
16 oz instant coffee creamer
1 cup powdered sugar (you can adjust this to taste.  I like it a little less sweet and this amount is perfect).

Mix all of this together in a big bowl. (Trust me on this one!)  Pour back into the empty containers to store. To make a mug of cocoa, fill it with water or milk and heat in the microwave.  Add 3-5 heaping spoons of mix to the cup and stir well.

homemade hot chocolate

The mason jars aren’t an original idea…but I have SO many jars and lids left over from my son’s recent Open House where we served “Dessert In A Jar”…that it made perfect sense to use these.

homemade hot chocolate

I then printed out these charming gift tagsat SassAndPeril.com, slapped them on some brown craft paper using spray adhesive….and after a little drying time….cut them out and tied them to the jar with some jute twine. I also printed out the recipe (and a silly little poem I made up on the spur of the moment…so don’t judge too harshly) and glued it to the OTHER side of the tag….but forgot to take a picture of it. :-/

{Poem}:
Here’s a tasty chocolate treat
for you to heat up, stir, and eat.
and when it’s gone, don’t you fret.
I’ve added the recipe, so you’re all set!

homemade hot chocolate

Yay!  Moving on to next project!!  Have a great Saturday everyone!!

UPDATE!  I made another batch of Hot Chocolate mix today because I have been giving so much away as gifts we didn’t have any here at home and my kids were sad about that!  They love it!

Anyway, I found THE easiest way to “make” this for keeping on hand at home.

Here we go:

• Buy one of these one-gallon containers (or something similar). I bought mine at Wal-mart for less than $3.
  • Dump all the ingredients into the container.
  • Put lid on tight.
  • Shake!!!
  • Put on shelf in pantry. :-)

It just doesn’t get ANY easier than that my friends!

Share on Facebook13Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest2,945Google+0

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hi! I love your blog. Just to make sure its vanilla nesquick we need? Not chocolate?

• joann drye says

Its chocolate Nestles Quik,,,look at the canister in the picture….it says Chocolate right across it…and its for hot cocoa, so there would have to be some cocoa somewhere… I don’t know if they make vanilla Nestles Quik,,,kind would defeat the purpose.. but they do make strawberry…..hope that helps.

This approach endlessly is going to be incredible in my experience the way blog writers like for example your true self are able to find time and the loyalty to remain with simply writing good blogs. Yuor web blog isfantastic one associated with very own require to read blog sites. Freezing wished to regards.

3. Karen Smith says

This is the exact recipe (including the NesQuick) my mom use to make when I was young…I’m 45.
    It IS THE BEST hot chocolate! Thanks so much for posting this recipe, I was trying to remember the ingredients she used.

4. Abby B. says

Jillee… I’ve been going through your archives tonight, planning ahead for Christmas. I know, early =) Have you made this recipe with your homemade Nesquick? I was wondering what the results were like. Love your site!

• Cassie says

I actually just made this with the homemade Nesquik (I’m drinking it right now). The recipe for the Nesquik will make a 1/4 batch of this recipe. So, if you want to make a full batch of the hot chocolate, you’ll need to quadruple the homemade Nesquik.

It tastes just like store bought hot chocolate.

I am too thinking of Christmas gifts this early.

• Apple says

I was just going to ask this same question. I know what’s being added to the Christmas basket this year! I just bought a big container of creamer :)

Hi Jillee!

Could you write me this recipe but with ml, grams, kg etc?? I have no idea about oz, cups – In Poland we use glass and 1 glass it’s 250 ml…

Thanks. Love U.
    Ania

• Rebecca says

Hi Ania – if you go onto google and type in covert oz to ml/gm/kg you should get a few websites that will help :-)! Cheers Rebecca

• Lisa says

I made a half batch in a large measured mixing bowl. It was just about 6 cups. I poured it into a large (39 serving) Carnation hot cocoa mix container. The only thing I changed was, I put the mix into the food processor for a few seconds, just to get all the chunks out. I tested it out and it was delicious! No little chunks left in the bottom of my cup (like I experienced with other mixes I’ve tried in the past). I’ll definitely make this again!

6. Sarah says

I was wondering the same thing…how much does this recipe make and about how many of those small mason jars can you fill? Thanks!!

7. Rebecca says

Hi everyone!! Just wondering if someone who has tried this could tell me if the Instant Coffee Creamer adds the taste of coffee to the hot chocolate? I have never heard of this product, and i’m not a fan of coffee, so thought i’d better find out before i try the recipe! Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas on your website Jillee

8. Kristen says

Hi! Great idea! I was also wondering about how much this recipe makes total. Do you also have any idea about how long it will stay fresh in the jars? Couple of months? I think our church is going to make a few batches and give to new guests that visit!
    Thank you so much!