XL Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug

chocolate chip cookie in a mug

I have a confession.

My impulses got the best of me this morning! I was working on my computer and someone had the audacity to pin a picture of a chocolate chip cookie in a cup and I was COMPLETELY DISTRACTED!

I literally couldn’t concentrate on what I was working on anymore!  Darn you Pinterest! :-)  So I figured I might as well go and try it out since I was obsessing over it anyway. And boy oh boy…I must have had some intuition about this….because it was YUMMMMMY!!!

SO yummy I also feel compelled to SHARE IT!

You see, I’ve seen lots of “cake in a mug” recipes around….but this is the first time I saw anyone try making a chocolate chip cookie in one!  I like cake OK…but chocolate chip cookies???  Shut the front door!

I immediately started searching for the appropriate cup to make my cookie in…and wouldn’t you know it…I could only find this extra-large soup/mug!  So I HAD to double the recipe…I had no choice! ;-)

So that’s what I did. I doubled this original recipe from Melissa at No. 2 Pencil (THANK YOU Melissa!  You are my new best friend!) and essentially created an XL cookie in a mug!

chocolate chip cookie in a mug

I also made the exact same recipe but used gluten free baking mix for my No. 2 son with Celiac’s.

And the BEAUTIFUL thing is my chocolate chip cookie craving is now satisfied…and I don’t have another couple dozen cookies laying around tempting me to eat them as well! :-)   yay!!!

Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cup
by number-2-pencil.blogspot.com

1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Granulated White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar (I used light brown sugar)
3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
Small Pinch of Kosher Salt
1 Egg Yolk (discard the egg white)
Scant 1/4 of All Purpose Flour (I used a full 1/4 cup.  I also made it a second time with GF Flour)
2 Tablespoons of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (I used milk chocolate chips)

Start by melting your butter in the microwave. Add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine. Separate your egg and add the yolk only to your cup. Stir to combine. Add flour, then stir again. Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir. Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds, start checking for doneness at 40 seconds. Mine takes 50 seconds.

Serve warm.

(The double cookie was done at 60 seconds in my microwave.)

Facebook379Twitter13Pinterest7958Google+0

Comments

1. Jacqui says

I have made this for hubby and I a few times since seeing it elsewhere. Tonight I made it in a mug/bowl and put my favourite ice cream on top. I also enjoy the fact that it is easy and there are no leftovers. I will be trying some cocoa powder in the next one to see if I can make double chocolate!
    (I learned quickly not to overcook, because it can burn in the middle and it's gross)

2. Katie says

I also made a double batch in a ramekin. I prefer oatmeal choc chip cookies so I replaced 1/2 of the flour with old fashioned oat meal and it came out great. Yum! Thanks for the recipe!!

3. Tracey says

This is too delicious. I love the fact that you can curb your craving with a small serving with no risk to eating a whole batch. I added some frozen vanilla yogurt and it was amazing. Thanks for sharing.

4. Cynthia says

Lately, I’ve been making a brownie in a mug that is FANTASTIC! But I didn’t know you could do cookies the same way! Awesomeness! Can’t wait to try!
    And for anyone who wants the brownie recipe:
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup flour (I have been using self-rising flour, but I think you could also use all-purpose)
    2 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
    Pinch of salt
    2 Tablespoons oil (whatever you would use for baking. Coconut oil would be good here!)
    3 Tablespoons water
    I’ve been stirring it together in a measuring cup and spraying the mug with non-stick spray before adding the batter.
    Then, nuke it for 1 minute, 20 seconds for a nice, rich, fudgy brownie!

• Cynthia says

All-purpose flour works with the brownie, but it doesn’t rise (obviously, if you’re not adding leaveners) and the texture isn’t as fudgy, but more like a regular box-mix brownie. I personally love the fudgyness that the self-rising flour gives it.
      Also, if you’re a fan of cinnamon, I highly recommend adding a pinch to this recipe. Gives it a nice warmth.

• Debbe says

Your recipe is the same as mine, just the amounts are slightly different. I use all purpose flour and mix it right in the bowl, a plastic microwave safe bowl, no need to spray before adding the batter.

Jillee: I LOVE your site! My Pinterest is full of your how-tos! Thank you for all these money-saving recipes for non-foods (cleansers, etc); you are ONE GOOD THING!

I love a single serving sweet for just that reason, no temptations left sitting around once the irresistable craving has been satisfied!!

5. Nadine says

I just made this & dug in to it & burnt my tongue so bad lol. Another poster commented that its very cake like but as mine is cooling its getting that cookie texture. Its great for a quick fix, think I’ll have ice cream with it next time.

6. Kris says

Just tried this and although I followed the recipe exactly it didn’t work. I really was looking forward to having a lovely, fresh cookie but it was undercooked and couldn’t bring myself to eating FAQ cookie dough.

7. Graig Befus says

There are three main myths about the creation of the brownie. The first, that a chef accidentally added melted chocolate to biscuit dough. The second, a cook forgot to add flour to the batter. And thirdly, the most popular belief, that a housewife did not have baking powder and improvised with this new treat. It was said that she was baking for guests and decided to serve these flattened cakes to them. This became our beloved treat of today. Whatever may be the case; all three myths have gained popularity throughout the years due to its mysterious beginnings..

Current content from our very own blog

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
    it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, great blog!