Homemade “Reese’s” Peanut Butter Cups

I really don’t know what got into me! I can count on a couple of fingers the times I’ve attempted to make homemade candy in my life! But for some reason, when I saw this recipe for Peanut Butter cups on Rad Megan, it was like I was being pulled by an unseen force field into the kitchen to make them!

It might have something to do with the fact that Reese’s Peanut Butter cups/eggs/hearts/Christmas trees, etc are my all-time favorite kind of candy….AND while I’ve seen many “recipes” for making a homemade version of them, I’ve never actually found one that I thought was something I could actually make!

While there is SOME finesse required when attempting to make these…the recipe and method couldn’t be easier! Not to mention you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen cupboards right now. (I know I did!)

“Reese’s” Peanut Butter Cups

Adapted from: RadMegan

Ingredients:

1 16-oz jar if creamy Natural Jif peanut butter (or use whatever you have)
1 2-lb bag (or 2 1-lb bags) of high quality chocolate chips, milk or dark (we’re a MILK chocolate sorta family)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4-6 Tablespoons melted butter
Cooking Spray
Mini Cupcake Papers

Melt butter in microwave. Empty the peanut butter into a bowl and stir in the powdered sugar. Mix in 4 Tablespoons of melted butter. If it seems a little dry and crumbly, add another 1 to 2 Tablespoons of melted butter. Just enough to make into a thick, smooth filling. Set aside.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or the microwave), stirring often until it becomes smooth and velvety.

Arrange your cupcake papers onto a baking sheet and lightly mist with cooking spray. (I used my mini muffin pans.)

Spoon the melted chocolate into the cupcake papers, coating the bottoms and sides entirely. I had to use one finger to “coax” the chocolate up the sides of the cupcake wrapper. Set the extra chocolate aside.

Once all cupcake papers are coated, place the tray in the refrigerator to cool for about five to ten minutes.

Pipe or spoon the peanut butter mixture into the cooled chocolate cups. I used a Ziploc bag to pipe the mixture into the cups…SO fast and easy that way!

When all the chocolate cups are filled, dip one finger into some water and then press down on each glob of filling to flatten a bit. Then spoon the remaining melted chocolate over the top of the peanut butter and place the tray back in the refrigerator for another 30-minutes to set completely. Recipe should yield about 55 mini peanut butter cups.

I’m going to try and refrain from gushing too much over these things….but….from the bottom of my heart….I have to say….these are D E L I C I O U S ! ! ! !  The peanut butter filling is soooooooo creamy and each splendid little bite is the perfect ratio of chocolate to peanut butter. (A crucial part of what makes this candy SO darn popular and appealing!)

Hopefully that wasn’t too gushy….but you can be certain it was SINCERE! :-)

ENJOY!

Share on Facebook967Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest23,538Google+11

Comments

I swear you must have been in my head. I <3 anything with chocolate and peanut butter. The mini-cups are my favorite of the Reese's PB, because of the perfect ratio. Although my all time favorite chocolate/PB candy actually is Gertrudes smidgens. If they enter my house I hide them and eat them all by myself. I will def be tring these. Thanks for sharing.

Believe it or not, my 6 yr old grandson does NOT eat sweets of any kind (no cookies, cake, pie or candy!) EXCEPT for Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I love cooking and baking with him, but get a little frustrated when he won’t eat what we bake. So this is the perfect recipe for us! I know we’ll have a wonderful afternoon making these together. Thanks for the recipe!

Oh. My. Word! These look and sound so yummy! I think I’d eat the whole batch if I made them. I’m pinning this though. I think I’ll make them for Christmas. I’ll be dreaming of them all year!

Have a great week!
    Deborah

I am soooo making these! I have seen recipes for them lately and all of them call for coconut oil, which I do not have in my pantry and really don’t want to go out and hunt for. I have all of these ingredients already….. yay! I have a nephew who is a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup freak, so I will make them the next time he visits and see if I can get his seal of approval! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Fernanda: Have you tried almond butter? I’ve seen recipes that used natural almond butter instead of peanut butter.
    I’m actually not a fan of Reese’s Pb cups since the filling seems “grainy” to me, but these look great & very easy. We are having a family dinner this weekend and I might try these. How many candies does this recipe make?

6. jodi says

Reeses peanut butter cups are my weakness! I can’t wait to try this out especially with the freshly ground almond butter I just discovered at Whole Foods, Thank you! I just love all your blog posts, keep em coming Jillee!

These look like an awesome project for this weekend! My hubby and I are low carb so will be using sugarfree chocolate chips and Stevia (cup for cup powdered) inplace of the powdered sugar. Will review this low carb version on my blog :D

8. Allison says

I’d love to have some ideas on how to make these with a mint filling. Wal-mart used to sell these and I’d pop them in the freezer and eat them cold. They don’t make them anymore :(

• Chaya says

@Allison: Mix mint extract with powdered sugar and enough water to make a thick paste, fill like you would with peanut butter.

@ I’d like to try and make homemade chocolate and use the peanut free butter to make these with different fillings.

Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.

9. Kim says

Been making these for years. But I’m a little lazy. I don’t use the little cupcake papers. I just use a pastry brush (1 inch paint brush I use for pastry) and paint the melted chocolate on to the muffin pan (big reeses pieces) or the mini muffin pans. Paint the chocolate on the tops. Pop them in the freezer and pop them out of the pan. Fast and easy “fix”.

10. Katina says

These do look yummy and I usually don’t eat candies with PB unless there is nothing else available! And take Kim’s suggestion about using a paint brush, especially to get the chocolate up the sides of the cup, that’s the easiest way to do it! Thanks for the recipe!

11. demi says

one thing I read somewhere else, and 1/2 experimented with myself (ha) is that if you aren’t using all natural peanut butter (just peanuts!) then you won’t get the dry-ish, crunchy texture that you get with real Reese’s… so if you’re using sweetened peanut butter you can add crushed graham crackers to get that unique Reese’s texture!

12. Kathleen says

These called to me, and I had to make them this weekend. YUM! Got to customize for my taste — more peanut butter:chocolate ratio, and used dark chocolate. Made WAY too many, so co-workers will be loving me today. Next time I’m trying white chocolate — or maybe white/dark chocolate combo! Would love to hear how the Splenda version worked.

13. Irene says

I am a huge Reese’s fan and this is my first time making them. I used cashews instead of peanut butter and this is HORRIBLE!! I made just the filling alone (taste it) and I am addicted! This is way better than Reese’s cup. I don’t know if I am going to be able to finish thank you so much for the recipe.

14. Robert Gunn says

Okay. Here’s a version that will be a hit for a certain portion of the population: follow the instructions as shown, except use regular cupcake liners, filling using only enough chocolate in the first step to bring the chocolate up about 1/2 to 3/4 inches up the cup’s sides. After putting a nice layer of the peanut filing in, drop in a thin slice of banana on top of the peanut butter, then top with the chocolate. … Peanut butter & chocolate is great but peanut butter, chocolate & banana is fantastic.

15. Ari says

My wife and I tried these last night, making a half batch of the PB and 6 mini muffin cups. First, their delish. Second, we warmed the PB in the double boiler until it was semi melted, then just shook the tray a little to flatten it it. Now I need to find some smaller cups to make more.

16. Meow Meow says

I have been dying to try a similar recipe that mixes cream cheese into the peanut butter filling. Does anyone have any comments on that approach? There also must be an easier way to get the chocolate on the sides of the cups… Maybe flatten out the paper cups and press them into the melted chocolate – I don’t know. I’m just not crazy about smearing each cup with my fingers… it sounds awkward and messy.

17. Dottie F says

This is just like my mother in laws recipe except see rolled her peanut butter into little balls, she uses a bit more confectioner’s sugar. I like the idea of piping it in and I’ll try it this year. Everyone always looks forward to getting PB cups from me.
    I put enough chocolate in the bottom of the cup so that when you add the peanut butter it squishes the chocolate up the sides and then just a small amount of chocolate on top finishes it off.

PS: you can get a block of chocolate from Trader Joe’s that melts great in the MW..

18. Cindy says

I make theses all the time. Especially after Easter to get rid of the solid Easter bunny chocolate. The thing I do differently is I roll up my peanut butter in small balls and lay them all out on parchment paper first. Then I just spoon in some chocolate ( still melted) lay in the peanut butter and completely cover with chocolate. No side work with the choc as it fills up the cup anyway. I put mine in a freezer til it’s set then in a plastic coveted container in the fridge. One treat is equililent to one bar !!!

I just made these… in a cupcake pan, and had some left over peanut butter mixture so made a small pan of them too – for Reeses bars :) Thank you, thank you for all of the great tips and sharing such a fun, tasty, and simple recipe! (I’m thinking of making these and wrapping them in a candy dish and cellophane for a holiday hostess gift!)

20. Kathi Jo Zornes says

If you wanna make your chocolate have a little better quality flavor for all your chocolate candy-making, melt a single Hershey bar into your chocolate you’re using and stir it in thoroughly. It gives your candy a higher quality taste without the bigger price.
    Meow Meow: And for sanitary purposes, you can use a real cheap crafter’s paint brush to ‘paint’ the chocolate up on the sides rather than using a bare finger-it works, is sanitary and is quick/easy.
    If you need them to set up quicker, once you’ve got them finished, pop the tray into the freezer for about 5 min-the chocolate will solidify quicker without freezing so you can continue a next batch quicker.
    :) Hope that helps!

21. Nobody Special says

OMG! Genius!!!!! This is my dad’s ultimate candy!…or,in his words,food. :) Mom is still trying to convince him that candy IS NOT FOOD!!!!! I tend to think like my dad…if it is edible and tastes good,it’s food allright! I am SO glad that somene FINALLY found a home made Reese’s peanut btter cups! THANK YOU!!! BUT ,there is a con…I am on a weight loss program.And this DOES NOT HELP!!!! Oh well,you need a treat every once in a while. ;) But,to make it less guilty every time I take a bite,what would you think about substituting coconut oil insted of butter?Tell me what you think.Well,baby’s crien’ so I should get a goin’! Ya”ll have a nice day!!!!!!!!!! ;)

22. LUCY says

HI JILLIE, FORGIVE ME USING ALL CAPS, BUT REGULAR PRINT IS SO TINY I CANT READ IT. ANYWAY, I MADE YOUR RECIPE EXACTLY AS YOUR RECIPE CALLED FOR, HOWEVER , MY CHOC WAS SO HARD YOU COULD NOT BITE INTO THE CREAMY CENTER. I HAD TO CUT IT WITH A KNIFE TO SEE THE INSIDE AND JUST MELTED IT IN MY MOUTH. I COULD NOT JUST TAKE A BITE OF IT (AS ONE OF YOUR PICTURES SHOWS, SOMEONE EATING ONE AND IT SHOWS A BITE OUT OF IT) WHAT COULD I HAVE POSSIBLY HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY TO THE CHOCOLATE TO MAKE IT SO HARD. I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS SO MUCH, AND I WAS THRILLED TO FIND YOUR RECIPE, BUT HOW CAN I HAVE THEM TURN OUT LIKE YOURS. I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG AND RECTIFY IT, MILLION THANKS , LUCY

• Jeanne says

Lucy, in response to your wondering why your choc. was hard, was it hard when you were dipping it into the liners..,if so you may have gotten water in the choc. & it will start to get hard. If that happens just add a small amt of oil to the choc. & it will get creamy again I melt my choc. in a small crock pot on low& it works well. I have been making these for yrs..along with almond joys & turtles. Hope this helps.

23. Lisa says

When I made peanut butter cups at Christmas I discovered a neat shortcut. Put the chocolate in one of those condiment bottles with the pointy nozzle (I got mine at walmart for about a dollar). you can melt it in that bottle and then just squeeze it into each cup. Super fast!