Sunday, May 27, 2012

Conquering Frozen Yogurt Pops!

Orange "Creamsicle" Frozen Yogurt Pop!

Ever since I started making my own “frozen yogurt pops” with the help of ALREADY MADE Activia yogurt…I have been dying to try them using the more “exotic” flavors that Yoplait has to offer. Like Pina Colada!  YUM!

But alas, the silly inverted shape of their yogurt cups make it impossible to turn them into yogurt pops using the “popsicle stick through the lid method”.

Of course being the obsessive person that I am…I just couldn’t let it go!

So yesterday I  bought 3 kinds of Yoplait yogurt I’ve really been wanting to try frozen on a stick…PINA COLADA, ORANGE CREME and, of course, LEMON BURST.

I figured I would either FIND a way to make it work….or just dump it out into a bowl and freeze it that way. (Of course it’s not the same…but I would have to suffer.)

When I got home I turned the yogurt container upside down and decided to see what I could do with my small paring knife. Much to my amazement….the bottom of those things is VERY easy to just cut out! It popped out easily on all three yogurt cups I tried.

After removing the bottom (which is now the top), I covered the top (which was the bottom) with a small piece of foil, stuck in the popsicle stick, and threw it in the freezer.

A few hours later…..I was enjoying the frozen yogurt of my dreams.  :-)

If you haven’t tried these (or the Activia ones) you are really missing out!

They are the perfect summertime (or ANYTIME!) treat!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

22 thoughts on “Conquering Frozen Yogurt Pops!

1. Penny Hannah

Jillee, I’m dying to know when you write your blog, It must be very late at night, as there it is, every morning, waiting for me in Scotland. Thank you – I enjoy it so much.

1. Penny Hannah

I’m sure she’s up all night, mixing potions and experimenting, then doing a post and falling into bed at daybreak – or else has a clone who does the day job!

1. Jillee Post author

Penny….you are scarily close to the truth. I keep TRYING to go to bed earlier…but it just doesn’t happen. Good thing I LOVE what I do! :-) And I’m SO glad you like it too! Thanks so much Penny and Kitty for taking time to leave a comment….makes all the sleep deprivation worth it. lol.

2. Kaye White

How about just slitting the bottom to stick the popsicle stick in & then cutting the bottom out when you eat them…would save the aluminum foil.

3. Liz

You should try doing it with Greek yogurt! (NF, of course ;) ) It’s much, much healthier than the Yoplait stuff :) My favorite popsicles are ones with fruit chucked in–so you don’t have to get the flavored ones with all the extra (unnecessary) sugar! It’s like froyo except in popsicle form :3

4. Pam

This is one of “hello, why didn’t I think of that” things. I don’t do dairy but love frozen treats while watching tv at night. There are some nondairy yogurts so I will try freezing them, thanks.

5. Catherine Hoffman

Thanks for the great Frogo idea! Since I’m convinced you are the end all when it comes to household issues I have a question for you. We live in a rental with pea soup green walls….I know BLEH but that isn’t the problem….The same Nimrod who put pea soup green paint on all the wall used flat paint. Kitchen, bathrooms, halls……everywhere. Painting is not an option. How do you clean flat paint? Some areas are just scuzzy but everything I’ve tried just takes the paint off. So thats my sad dilemma.

6. Beth Williams

Jillee – once again I have to say…. Brilliant!!! My 4 y/o daughter is always talking about “Pushups” and I hate giving in to the sugar junk — here is my solution (and she loves yogurt anyway!) Summer is here and both my girls are always wanting treats — now we can all hang out on the patio and have something fun = and good for us!!!! God Bless you for sharing! Love your blog and your matter of fact-ness!! Thank you for all the time and effort you put in!!! I am so grateful for it – and am happy to say you have changed my life (silly, but true) in so many ways!

1. Jillee Post author

Awww…so nice of you to say Beth! That makes my day to hear of you enjoying the frozen treats hanging out on the patio. Very nice. :-) Thanks for sharing and thanks for being such a great supporter of the website.

7. Sarah

When I get home today, I am freezing all of my Yoplait. I don’t have popsicle sticks, but I do have plastic spoons, and I think those will work just fine. Can’t wait!

8. Linda Hansen

I make frozen yogurt pops with mini six packs by cutting a slit in the top and inserting a plastic spoon. The spoons give more support for the frozen yogurt than a stick.

9. Pingback: Too much Funfetti. Never enough Funfetti. | the mile report