How To Clean and Freshen Your Mattress

Freshen Your Mattress

This past weekend my niece Jennifer was freaking me out!

It was a perfect evening and we were eating a lovely dinner in my sister’s beautiful backyard (I mean there were literally birds singing and the sound of a babbling fountain too!) and my niece decides to start talking about dust mites and bed bugs and all sorts of disgusting stuff that relates to our mattresses! It was gross I tell you!

I am not going to subject you to the disgusting stuff I learned that night…..(ok…maybe just ONE thing I learned…An average mattress contains 10,000 to 10,000,000 dust mites! ewwwww)….but I will tell you that cleaning your mattress regularly is a very good idea! And if you’re like me….you haven’t done it lately. Or ever. :-/

cleaning your mattress

Dust mites live in pillows, bed covers, mattresses, upholstered furniture, carpeting, even clothing. One of their favorite places is a mattress. Vacuuming your mattresses every few weeks will help to control the dust mite population. It also helps to put plastic coverings on your mattress that essential SEAL it…but who really wants to do that?? I don’t.

But I can vacuum!

I decided to take a cue from Calli at Make-It-Do.com and mix up my own mattress-cleaning concoction.  Baking soda with a little Lavender essential oil mixed in.

Freshen Your Mattress Put approximately 1 cup of baking soda into a small mason jar and add 4 to 5 drops of Lavender essential oil (you can, of course, use your favorite scent) and give it a good shake! This was enough to do half my king-sized bed. I just quickly shook up another batch for the other side.

cleaning your mattress
cleaning your mattress

Before you start it’s a good idea to strip off all your bedding and wash it in HOT water (at least 130 degrees)! This will kill the dust mites in your sheets and blankets. While your bedding is in the washing machine, pour enough baking soda through a sifter or strainer to lightly dust your mattress with it. Leave on for an hour or more, allowing it time to draw out dirt, moisture, and odor.

cleaning your mattress cleaning your mattress

Using the hose end of your vacuum and an upholstery attachment, thoroughly vacuum the mattress. Vacuum slowly so that you’re using the vacuum suction efficiently to pull out as much debris from within the mattress as possible.

cleaning your mattress

The baking soda not only draws out moisture and dirt, but it also deodorizes and leaves the mattress smelling fresh and clean. The Lavender oil helps calm stress and anxiety and promotes sleep….plus it just SMELLS wonderful!

I think I’m going to sleep very good tonight! :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter60Pin on Pinterest75,486Google+33

Comments

1. Michele says

Hi Jillee,

Thank you for the mattress cleaning information. I’m wondering what to do for a tempur-pedic mattress? Any ideas?

• Melanie says

Michele, with a temper-pedic you should wash your mattress cover. The directions are inside the zipper. You can also vacuum and deodorize the cover just like shown. I wash mine twice a year, vacuum it fairly regularly, but now I’ll be doing some eucalyptus spritzing!

2. Vanessa says

Your tips are always so timely! That’s my project for tomorrow! Thanks so much for all the useful ideas, they really inspire me to give them a try for myself.

Jillee, I have read that eucalyptus works too. I spray my mattress down with it in a bottle diluted with water while the sheets and blanket are washing in hot water with a few drops added there too. I haven’t vaccummed my mattress in a while so thanks for reminding me. My sister puts the oil on without diluting but still uses a spray bottle. Bet her husband has no trouble breathing for a few nights, huh? Tne company beeyoutiful has great essential oil tips in their catalog.
    Julie

Thanks for this tip. I’ve been vacuuming the mattress, but like the idea of deodorizing and pleasantly scenting it too. Without using the baking soda, you’ll vacuum up nearly a cup of dust mites and skin cells if you haven’t done it in a while. It’s eye opening and will keep you from neglecting this task!

5. Sarah says

This is happening in my house this weekend. Great tip! I’m thinking Eucalyptus/Spearmint. Divine.

6. Rho says

Thank you so much for all of your helpful tips! I’ve been making small steps to having a more natural home, and all of your simple tutorials have shown me I can do more & have fun at it! I love it! Just about to move, so this is PERFECT timing!!! Clean mattress, YAY!

7. lynn says

Just asking…. does the lavender repel the mites or is it just a favorite scent?

And… I love your site. I shared it with my daughter in law and she also loves it and is sharing it.

• CTY says

Certain essential oils kill bacteria, sanitize & discourage fungi. I know lavender is good one- not sure of the others.

• Sunny says

sage, lavender, peppermint are said to have disinfecting properties. I often use a fairly pure alcohol (vodka) as a medium, as it also kills mites and bacteria, add the oils, and spray. A few hours in the sun is also good, if you can manage it.

8. Becki says

Thank you so much for posting this, and as an email this morning! My fiance was sick last week and I have been wondering how to clean the mattress, what perfect timing! I just put some on my mattress now, and used Wild Berry oil, smells so fresh! Thanks again, Jillee!