33 Uses For “Baby” Wipes That Have Nothing To Do With Babies!

baby wipes usesWhy do we call them “baby wipes” anyway?  Shouldn’t they just be called WIPES? After reading what seems like a MILLION uses for baby wipes…other than for wiping the baby…I think there should be a regular wipes section at the store as big as the BABY wipes section. Have you ever noticed how much “real estate” is dedicated to baby wipes at your local Walmart or your local grocery store? It’s pretty impressive. But so are all the ways I discovered people are USING these handy little helpers.

I have to thank BabysittingJobs.com website for the idea for this post because they sent me a link to this article, “10 Uses for Baby Wipes Other Than What They Were Intended For“.  Not only was it a great little article…it’s a great website for anything related to babysitting.

Anyway, reading that article got me thinking about the fact that even though we haven’t had a “baby” in our house for more than 10 years…we ALWAYS have “baby” wipes around. hmmm. It also piqued my curiosity about what OTHER people (with or without babies) are using baby wipes for….besides their babies.

The uses I found were practically ENDLESS…but here is a compilation of some of MY favorites gleaned from a variety of website articles and comments:

• Removing eye makeup. duh. This is probably the thing I personally use them for the most.
baby wipes uses
  • Toilet paper substitute. A poll I read showed 57% of us have done this! ;-)
baby wipes uses
  • Removing hair dye stains from your forehead and neck dying your own hair.
baby wipes uses
  • Cleaning the inside of the car when you are at a red light or stuck in traffic. I thought I invented this! lol. I guess I’m not the only one doing this. It’s a great use of “down” time in your car and of baby wipes!
baby wipes uses
  • Freshen up and cool down on hot summer days. Put some in a baggie and put it in the cooler for use at the beach or on day trips, or just put some in the fridge for those oppressively hot nights.
baby wipes uses
  • For use during pregnancy as hemorrhoid wipes. Get the ones with aloe, and then pour a bottle of witch hazel into the container. Much cheaper than the specialty wipes.
baby wipes uses
  • Wipe down the leaves of houseplants.
baby wipes uses
  • Attach to a dust mop (like a Swiffer) to pick up extra dust.
baby wipes uses
  • Pen, pencil, crayon and paint remover! From most surfaces! Even skin. :-)
baby wipes uses
  • Clean your rubber stamps when card making and scrapbooking. You can also use a folded baby wipe on a paper plate and add a few drops of different colors of ink from a re-inker and use the plate and wipe as your temporary stamp pad for a custom color mix.
  • Military uses:
    • Soldiers in Iraq used them because they were perfect for getting sand out of everything.
    • Use on U.S. Navy Ship when there are water restrictions (no showers) as a quick way to clean up.
  • Use for hunting to get the waterproof face paint off and for washing blood off hands. ewww.
  • Substitute “Tide pen”.  Someone who worked in retail said they used them to take makeup off clothes after people tried them on.
  • Clean bird poop off your windshield.
  • Use as a blotter to pick up stains on clothing, upholstery or carpeting. Especially useful on microfiber couches.
  • Get rid of deodorant marks on dark clothing. This is a lifesaver! BIG pet peeve!
  • Clean your puppy’s feet after playing at the park, before getting in the car.
  • They’re also great for cleaning cats. Messy cat faces, or for cleaning dingleberries. :-D
  • Remove stray hairs from pets. Give shaggy pets a daily rubdown with a baby wipe to remove excess hair and keep it off the furniture and rugs.
  • Temporary flyaway hair tamer.
  • Wiping down restaurant tables, high chairs, shopping carts, changing tables and toilet seats in public places.
  • Clean hairspray off of wood surfaces.
  • Use to wipe away too much spray or home tanner. Works wonders!
  • Shine your leather shoes so they’ll sparkle.
  • Wash baby doll faces.
  • Place a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a wipe and place it in a dresser drawer as a sachet.
  • Moisten envelope glue before sealing. Genius! I HATE licking envelopes!
  • Clean your Tablet/Touchscreen phone/PC monitors. They are soft and don’t damage the screens, and get all the sticky fingerprints off.
  • Cleaning a chalkboard wall.
  • Pull baby wipes through the slits in my dining chairs to get the dust out where the duster doesnt fit.
  • Diaper Genie cleaner. A quick swipe of a wipe on the blade (where you cut the plastic) immediately eliminates any smell. The alcohol on the wipe kills the bacteria on the razor.
  • And last but not least……..A MUST HAVE on camping trips – good for cleaning yourself when a shower isn’t available.

I hope it wasn’t just me, but I thought some of those were downright brilliant!  Never occurred to me there were SO many uses for “baby” wipes….which OBVIOUSLY aren’t just for babies. :-)

How do YOU do “BABY” wipes????

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter80Pin on Pinterest11,081Google+11

Comments

1. Donna says

I keep a container at work, in my desk drawer. I use them to wipe my hands after touching door handles and office equipment, especially during flu season. Also useful before/after eating finger food/snacks at your desk.

2. Sandi M says

I’ve used them in my craft room for years, but never thought to throw some in the car. My car and dog paws will be thanking you for this :)

3. holly says

So funny I already do all of those! Plus others! I’m a babywipe junkie I always have some on me- and my youngest is 4- so none of our uses include his bum! :)

4. Sarah Mc says

they work great for cleaning brake dust from the mommy van’s rims. Way better than the Auto Box spray cleaners and safer.

We always have some on hand as well! Especially in the summer. We have one use that you have not already mentioned. We use them to wipe our feet clean after a day in flip-flops.
    I’d like to point out that not all baby wipes are flushable. I honestly have no idea what they would do to our plumbing systems if we do flush them, but I still think it is worth pointing out.
    Has anyone used a baby wipe to clean a tablet screen? I thought wipes contained oils, wouldn’t that just create a bigger, streaker, greasier mess on the screen? I’m not patient enough to experiment on mine, but I would love to hear from someone who has!

You are RIGHT! I worked in an office where a guy used baby wipes instead of the toilet paper. After the 3rd time in one month that the plumber had to pull gobs of baby wipes out of the pipes, the guy quit using the baby wipes (or at least quit flushing them!) So, do NOT flush! They do not degrade in water!

• patricia stanphill says

You girls are right about most baby wipes not being flushable, but you should also know that Kleenex-type tissues are also not to be flushed. They are manufactured NOT to dissolve in water/moisture. The same goes DOUBLE for Paper Towels. There have been instances where the only paper in the house was a paper towel and they will do the job-just don’t flush. just sayin…

• Laura says

Yep, I use the actual toiletry wet wipes for that particular job (as they *are* designed to break up), and leave baby wipes to the job they’re intended for: Everything else! :-)

• Mama T says

I use them on my laptop screen, cell phone screen, and tablet screen. My cell phone and tablet have screen protectors, so occasionally it does smear. I find that if I let the wipe dry out a little bit before using it, it streaks less.

• Eileen Smith says

I have a cousin who flush baby wipes down the toilet after use on her toddler. Did not think it would bother plumbing. She found out differently after it over flowed from a upstairs bathrooom downstairs and ruinned the who lower level of house. Both Charmin and Cottonell make a wipe that is flushable. They a a bit smaller but do the job.

• Laura says

The amount of streaking varies depending on the kind of wipe you use. The aloe or shea butter ones are, obviously, the worst. The sensitive wipes are best. But honestly, I wouldn’t use them (in fact, I don’t). On a cellphone screen or tablet, it’s okay (other than the streaking) but on a laptop or flatpanel monitor, it’s a downright bad idea. I only use approved wipes for those, because they’re designed to be lint free, anti-static, and with a fine enough wood fiber that they won’t microscratch like other paper products can (paper towels, for instance, are the worst thing to use, next to sandpaper). ;-) There’s not enough alcohol in baby wipes to make them adequate for this use, unfortunately.

6. Frances says

I like to put vinegar in mine and leave them in the kitchen to wipe down the counters after cooking.

7. Heather says

hehe I thought I was the only one that called them “dingleberries”….. growing up, my family used this term all the time when talking about the dog! Jillee, you always make me laugh. Thank you for being the bright spot in my days!

• Kimmer says

Same here – I thought “dingleberries” was just what our family called them – had a white Persian kitty that used to get into “trouble” that way.

• BlueJae says

The horses get tobacco weed in their tails (instead of dingle berries) but everyone else on the farm gets dingle berries.

Greetings from Spain!
    I bumped into your web just by chance and since then (4 or 5 months ago) I’ve been following you day by day. I’ve tried many of your ideas and they are simply amazing. I can never thank you enough!
    This post of today in particular makes me smile for I’m taking care of my Mom (90 with dementia) and Dad (78 with essencial tremmor). Being their only daughter means I have no one to give me a hand. As they need my assistance I quited working. Not having incomes isn’t an easy issue to make it at the end of the month (and one month after another….) Some days are not easy at all. Using these baby wipes has been life transforming. Not having time to do anything, having to sit next to Mom during hours for it’s the only thing that calms her down really boosts the need to simplify things. More than once I’ve found myself using these wipes in several of the uses you just mentioned… THEY REALLY WORK!
    Thank you for your lovely web and you always positive attitude… I’m convinved it really helps lots of us who are going through special circumstances.
    Hugs.
    Ana

• MaryC says

Dear Ana,
      God bless you for your loving care of your parents. It is a great privilege to have the opportunity to care for parents who have given so much of their lives to us. I understand how difficult it can be at times. Just please remember that the good Lord understands your needs as well as those of your parents, and He will take care of you. Wish I could be there to give you a hug. I’ll just send up some prayers on your behalf and ask Him to send someone else to hug you and lift you up!
      In Christ’s love,
      Mary

9. Linda D says

Baby wipes are great for removing stains from clothes. Give it a try as soon as the stain happens.
    My daughter and I always keep them in our purses for removing stains, wiping hands and faces,
    Etc, etc, etc.

Yes, they are good stain removers for clothes. I learned that when I spilled something on my blouse while eating at a shopping mall food court. The mom was sitting at the table next to me offered me a baby wipe, and it worked. She said they all work pretty well but the Costco brand (kirkland) work the best.

1. [...] 5. Baby wipes. The secret weapon of parents across the land. Never before I had children did I imagine that wipes could be so useful and versatile. Obviously they are great for cleaning up sticky hands and faces, but they also can be used as emergency loo roll when they run out of it on your four hour flight (true story) as well as cooling you down. You can use dried out wipes as a paper alternative for drawing. You can also use them as make-up remover, shoe-polish, to clean stains and to get fingerprints off screens. Never go anywhere without them. [...]

2. [...] 5. Baby baby wipes. The key weapon of oldsters over the land. Nothing you’ve seen prior I’d children did I suppose baby wipes might be so helpful and versatile. Clearly they are ideal for cleaning sticky hands and faces, they also can be used emergency loo roll once they exhaust it in your four hour flight (true story) in addition to cooling you lower. You should use dried up baby wipes like a paper alternative for drawing. You may also rely on them as make-up remover, shoe-polish, to wash stains and also to get fingerprints off screens. Never go anywhere without one. [...]