Make A Year’s Worth of Laundry Soap for $30.00!

laundry detergent

Regular readers of this blog will know that I am completely sold on the No-Grate Laundry Detergent that I posted back in February of this year.  But, like I’ve said many times on this website, I am always open to new ideas! And I really liked this idea that someone posted as a comment awhile back.

A YEARS worth of Laundry Soap!?!?  That’s an idea that is hard NOT to get behind!  Plus, I’ve been curious about the “dry” version of homemade laundry detergent that so many people are fond of. I have never tried it before. I figured it’s high time I did!

Here is the recipe that Anonymous posted (the text in red are my notes):

Anonymous said…
I make a dry version which works better for my family. I hate storing the bottles, shaking it up, and making it more often. I only make it once and it lasts for the entire year for our family of 4.

3 bars Fels Naptha, grated ($1.33 x 3)
1 box Borax  ($5.85  -  76 ounces)
1 box Washing Soda ($4.07  -  55 ounces)
2 cups of baking soda ($0.53 cents)
2 containers of Dollar Tree Oxyclean (I bought mine at Family Dollar store…SUN Brand…$4.00 each)
1-2 containers of Purex fabric softener crystals ($6.97  -  28 ounces)

Use 2 tablespoons per load. Put it right in the barrel if you have an HE washer.

To grate the bars of soap I decided to make it easier on myself and use my ancient Hamilton Beach food processor. I figured if it broke in the process it would give me a good excuse to get a new one! But fortunately (unfortunately?) it handled the soap just fine. I would offer one tip though if you decide to use your food processor to “grate” your soap: add something else to the bowl to aid in the process. I added a cup of the SUN Oxygen Bleach to each bar when I processed it. It seemed to help the blades do their job better.

years supply of laundry detergent

My only other tip for this recipe has to do with the “mixing”. Once you add everything, you have a LOT of ingredients to mix together. I decided to put it all in a kitchen garbage bag (doubled) and tumble it all together. Just tie it off tight and turn it over a handful of times and you’re good to go! Now you have a nicely integrated batch of laundry detergent that should last a family of four ONE YEAR!

years supply of laundry detergent

Since we are over the “family of four” limit, and I tend to think we have more dirty laundry than your AVERAGE family…I’m not expecting this to last a full year….but based on my initial use of this (2 Tablespoons per load)….it’s going to last us a GOOD, LONG time! I did half a dozen loads of laundry with it before we left on vacation and was completely satisfied with the results! So much so that I’m planning on making TWO MORE BATCHES when I get home from vacation to give to my daughter AND my daughter-in-law. :-)  Fun gift idea don’t you think?

laundry detergent

Share on Facebook12065Tweet about this on Twitter71Pin on Pinterest38987Google+68

Comments

• Scott P. says

The Fels-Naptha comes in a bar. If you cut the bar into 1-2 inch cubes and put it into the microwave for a minute (my weak microwave took five minutes) the pieces will expand. Then let them cool completely and then they will crumble nicely. I scraped them to make the crumbles smaller.
          I found everything at Walmart all on the same aisle.

• Kayla says

With the Ivory soap, does it still get out stains well? I hate the smell of the fels naptha or zote soap. I made this last year and threw it away because I couldn’t stand the smell of it. I would think the Ivory soap would smell much better, but i’m wondering if the stain removing agents still take place. We farm and always have dirty clothes, so I want to be sure they will be clean instead of stained. Thanks :)

• Laurie V. says

I know this repy is very late, I didn’t come across this until now.

I’ve never been able to find Fels Naptha here in Ontario. What I did find is a bar called “Linda’s, its suppose to be about the same composition, and it does work very well in the laundry soaps I’ve made. I’ve found it at Walmart and Food Basics and No Frills.

Also we have the old time Sunlight bars in the yellow packaging, although I didn’t find it cleaned as well as the Linda bar.

I hope this can help you and others

• Mikki Easton says

Fels Naptha NOT SAFE for HE machines :(
        We just went through an extensive repair on our LG HE machine, and the repair man advised “make sure all products you use for wash are marked safe for “HE” machines. I just spoke with Fels Naptha (at Purex) and although they said Fels Naptha is safe to use as a pre-treat on clothing BEFORE WASHING, once grated, the granules are NOT SAFE to be used as (even a finely grated) detergent in HE machines!!! :( Thoughts?

• Devora Waters says

Yes a thought…should have told him you use Tide HE and see what he said…
          My good friend is a repairman for Sears, he told me to get a full extended
          warranty on my new machine (had to buy after 20 year old Maytag gave up beyond reasonable cost to repair) said NONE of the new machines are going to hold up like the old ones did ;-(

• Becca says

I have been using a receipe similar to this for a year and a half in my HE front load washer without any issues. I also put it directly in the slide out drawer where my other detergent goes with no issues. I have actually noticed an increase in the effectiveness of my washer since begining making my own laundry soap.

• Jonesy says

My Brother works for LG and deals with Washing Machines for them an says this isn’t correct…that Fels Naptha is perfectly safe, even in grated form, for these HE washers. The key is a fine grind! No big, bulky chunks…as HE machines use LESS water and don’t break down large chunks of soap.
          It’s likely that and their water. Additives like Vinegar, Epsom Salt, or Baking soda may be necessary for them to get a CLEAN rinse for their clothes and the washer drum. Washers using hard water, when exposed to naturals soaps and detergents, tend to “gum up” with the particles, solids, and salts hard water cannot rinse away but rather deposits on the nearest hard surface (the inside of the machine). Easiest way to combat that is vinegar rinse in the fabric softener dispenser! And, run one load every 2 months with NOTHING but a Large towel, Vinegar and HOT water! It cleans the inside nicely!

• Leslie says

Which way would u recommend to add the detergent in ? With the clothes itself in the barrel or in the pull out drawer compartment . I Dont want to mess up my washer . Thanks

• Lisa says

We’ve been using this detergent in our Maytag frontloader for over a year with zero problems. As a side note though…we purchased an LG French door refrigerator (2200 bucks) 2 years ago and it died a month ago. LG and the warranty company took 30 days to repair it….replaced every feasible part and then gave me equal money to get a new one. Needless to say, I did not purchase an LG. In my opinion LG appliances are inferior. I have 3 friends with the same fridge. All have had like problems (ice maker issues, motor issues etc). sorry, know this was about detergent, but wanted to share our like experience with the LG products. I would have told him I used tide to see what he came up for breakdown.

• Janis Miller says

I have an LG front load and I love it. I have had it for about 8 years and have never had a problem. Four of my kids also have LG front load washers in their homes and have not had a problem! :)

• Jo says

You CAN use the liquid form of this in an HE washer. You just have to shake it up really well to make certain it is all mixed well before using. It tends to separate when it sits.

• Ro says

Yes it is great for the HE machines I use it and it makes your clothes smell so clean and actually makes them cleaner. I have a front loader and I just toss it in before the clothes and it mixes quit well.
      No more $18.00 for 96 loads of junk.

• Robyn says

Hi! Funny question, but the drum of my front loader has holes all over it. It you put the homemade powdered detergent in there, does it fall in the holes, and is that a problem? Also, how much do you use?

• Ginger says

Hi!
          Not a funny question; totally legit! In your detergent drawer (where you usually pour in your liquid detergent, there should also be a compartment for powder detergent.

If there’s not, it may not be compatible for your front-loader. I used to have a front-loader & the one time I used powder in the compartment designated for powder, once the water ran through it to mix it with the clothes, the detergent caked terribly & I never used powder in it again. I have a top-loader now & powder is perfect for it.

If you decide to use liquid, Jillee also has a fantastic recipe for it here, too that I simply adore! I’m trying THIS recipe for the first time this weekend – that is, if I can find the Fels Naptha bars out and about today :)

Happy Laundering!

~G

• Norma says

Fels Naptha Bars are found right by your laundry detergents. I buy all my ingredients right at WalMart and they are usually right together. Well, my recipe is slightly different but same idea. But the A&H Washing Soda, Borax and Fels Napth are right together at our local store. Good Luck finding all of it. (I don’t use oxy or the scent additive. Just A&H washing soap, A&H baking soda, Borax and Fels Naptha) and it smells refreshing. Oh and all the other recipes of this kind of recipe says that a batch this size should last 6 months for a family of 4or5, not a year. Oh and the cost here for the products I buy is around 11.00 so still a great deal.

• Joe T says

I agree with you, Norma. We probably use the same recipe!
              Although mine only lasts for a coupe of months, but I think that is due to Abuela not believing you only need one scoop!
              I think I will try the tablet idea so I know she is using the correct amount.

• Cindy says

Hi, I have a front loader and have been using the power mix for 6 months now. I put the clothes in and Sprinkle a small amount on top of the clothes…Works great! If you put it in the compactment on top it clumps. Before this I used the liquid version. Will have to say the power mix works and smells much better. :)

• Jane says

I have a front loader and have made my own laundry soap for several years. I always put it in the tub first, then the clothes. The water fills the tub from the top but rises up through the holes after it runs over the clothes. I use vinegar for the rinses (I can set mine for 2) and I have never had a problem. I have very hard water and the vinegar does a great job of softening my clothes as well as cleaning the washer.

• Jolene says

First time making this…absolutely fabulous! I microwaved the ZOTA soap since I don’t have a food processor. It was easy..I just didn’t cook it long enough. My microwave takes about 4 1/2 minutes…I just watched it until it became this pink volcano (pink Zota soap) that resembled cotton candy. When it has cooled down, it does just break apart inbetween my two hands…fabulous! Make sure you let it cool down completely…it can melt the garbage bag!

• Cathy says

I use this in my HE machine and it works beautifully. I made two small changes. I use Ivory soap instead of felds naptha because I don’t like the smell of FN. And I put a few drops of lemon grass oil into the batch for a clean scent.

• Ronda says

I have used this almost exact formula on my HE front loader….and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!
      I use the scoop that comes in the Oxyclean container for scooping the mixture to my washer and it works great. I have 6 people in my family….and this last me about 6 months. I too shop at dollar general and use their baking soda (50 cents a box, I use 4 as the recipe I use calls for a 4 lb box from the baking aisle) I have a 6 and 9 year old boys that play in sports and outdoors so I know dirty laundry….and this recipe makes everything nice and clean.

• darla says

I have an H.E. washer and it works well in it. I made this recipe in July of 2013 and it only has about 10 more loads in the container to go. We are a family of 4 and one child changes clothes about once a week, the other changes daily but one child changes 2x daily. No athletes in this home either, just an everyday household. Thanks for this recipe and your wonderful blog..

• Katie Steinke says

Im not sure what you meant by the barrel, for the HE machines. In that the soap dispenser or right into the tub? Thanks for this post, I am going to make it this weekend. BTW where did you find the big glass jar?

• Jane says

I found that any dry laundry soap clumped when I put it in the soap dispenser. I just dump the laundry soap right into the tub of the washer instead.

Also, a little FYI from my repairman. Most bleach dispensers dump the bleach into the machine in the rinse cycle not the wash cycle. Streaking the items. So I will mix my bleach in a large cup with water and pour it into the tub of the washer first, then the soap and then what clothes/towels/whites i am bleaching. Haven’t had a problem with bleach damaged items since.

1. Christina says

I make the liquid one because I’ve just been using liquid soap forever…but I may try this! all the ingredients that you use for this recipe are all HE safe so if anyone does have an HE washer they can do this as well
    Thanks for sharing!

• Denise says

It works great in HE washers. I always use liquid as well but I went to a bridal shower where they handed out mason jars of dry detergent for favors and I really liked it. it was less hassle as well… no shaking the bottle everytime, no storing bottles, I bought a HUGE mason jar at target and will put my dry stuff in that. :)

• Zoquara says

My washer only has cold water to it, and I’ve never had a problem with the fels-naptha not dissolving…. and mine looks EXACTLY like Jillee’s when I’m done! (I also use a food processor to grate mine).

My food processor has a grating blade, and I usually use it first, then use processing blade to blend the shredded soap and the dry stuff (in my case, only borax and washing soda). I tried it once without the dry, and ended up with a clumpy mess!

• Jen says

I, too, have a HE. After you grated your soap, did you turn it into the powdered form, via blender or processor? (I only have a blender, so that’s what I use.) The only thing I don’t put in blender is the crystals. Instead of using them every time, I only use them when there’s something I NEED to have the smell in, such as our bedspread. My husband likes that. :)

• Renee says

I’m sorry but even those softener crystals are full of chemicals. Skip this step if your looking for a great chemical free laundry detergent. As a safer and less expensive alternative to the softener is 1/2 cup of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. if you want nice smelling clothes make your own drier sheets.
        How To; re-purpose. those old t-shirts by cutting them into 6-8 inch squares. Use an essential oil for the scent, add 3-5 drops on the cloth before adding to the drier, there are great smelling oils that are not to expensive at health food stores that are not as concentrated as the essential used for aromatherapy or healing oils. The use of this will do so many things one after a few uses the cloths once washed you can use a different scent. Or you can use a different scent each day you do laundry.
        You can add 40-80 drops of the oil in the detergent to add scent to the detergent, add to the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix thoroughly before adding more, this will allow you to mix the scent til it’s as strong or not so strong for your tastes as well as making the mixture not clump up into a mess if all the oil(s) are added at once.

• Stephanie says

Thank you so much for these suggestions regarding scent in laundry without chemicals. I have been using the scent crystals but wasn’t thrilled with having chemicals of any kind. I had never thought of the things that you do. Thank you so much for sharing!

Stephanie

• Kate says

Never forget the vinegar rinse aid again. Buy a Downey softener ball, put 1/2 C vinegar in ball, seal, throw in when you start the cycle. I use a similar homemade laundry soap, just minus fels naphtha ( too many ingredients in bar). My clothes have never been cleaner or softer. No sheets in dryer either. I tried the essential oil trick but it really didn’t scent the clothes and good essential oils are expensive. Save the essential oils for a room atomizer. Happy Laundering :-)

• Moose says

Hate to burst your bubble, but all the things listed in this formula include “chemicals.” Borax is a sodium tetraborate, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, washing soda is “soda ash” or sodium carbonate. I can go on….

All of these things are used to raise the pH (except baking soda) and act as surfactants. They (surfactants) are the reason dirt comes off the clothes.

Heck, even the copious amounts of Dihydrogen Monoxide used in washing is considered a chemical and is bad for you in certain quantities and circumstances.

• Kristin P. says

Adding all of that essential oil takes this detergent out of the “frugal” category. Don’t fear all “chemicals” – God gave His people the ability to invent and create, otherwise we’d still be dipping our clothing in water and beating it against rocks. “Soap” is a chemical.

A side note – I have tried essential oils in detergents and the scent has never come through for me.

• Brigitte says

I agree. And I’ll add , that there are many online stores to buy decent quality and even organic EOs (ask for the chemical analysis sheets). I make my own out of concern for the environment, to cut back on synthesized chemicals and to make a small statement about not encouraging (as much as possible) large global companies. I buy feed grade baking soda and cook it to make washing soda, make my own organic oil based soap, and so with a family of 8 (27 loads a week) even the best EOs would make it very frugal!

• Gracy Mantoan says

Sorry, I couldn’t resist: Even water, you know, H2O is a chemical. Even the clothes are composed of chemicals. There’s no way to clean anything without chemicals. If you don’t like or are sensitive to certain compounds, it is another story… There’s no such thing as a “chemical free” soap.
          Having said that, These is one of the best soaps I even used! I love saving money and knowing exactly what I am using in my clothes. Even my son’s eczema has gotten better since I started using this to lauder my clothes.

• Michele says

I agree with Renee. The Fels Naptha and the oxy clean are full of chemicals. replace the Fels-Naptha with Castille or Ivory soap
          below is the ingrediants of Fels-Naptha:
          Ingredients

Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)

*contains one or more of these ingredients

• Sheri says

I use cold water, I found it helpful to open the fels-naptha bars and let them dry out a day or two before you grate them in a blender. They turn more like a powder and less of a clay type.

I have been looking at different recipes for making your own detergent and this one seems to have all the basis covered. Im going out to buy all the ingreidents and give this a go!
    I have recently discovered your site and have been pouring through all the helpful and handy tips. Thank you for sharing!

• Zoquara says

I use a slightly different mix (only fels-naptha, borax, and washing soda) and it leaves no scent behind. This recipe probably does have a scent because of the Purex crystals, though.

• Julie says

You could always add some essential oils in a scent you like if you want that. I’m personally always looking for detergents without additives that will leave residues, so I’d leave out the softeners if I made it.

• Hollie says

• Beth Ann says

Hello All: I have been using the 3 ingredient laundry soap for over a year and we love it!
          Softener: Buy any liquid softner you like, (I get mine from the dollar store) pour into a container, add the same amount of water, toss in 1 or 2 thick sponges. Squeeze out excess liquid from sponge and toss into dryer with wet clothes, dry. Clothes smell wonderful, cheap, and no pesky dryer sheets all over the house!

• Hollie says

The essential oils leave no scent in my laundry. I have made the liquid a few times and it just smells like Fels-naptha or nothing at all. The oils are pricey to begin with and then my recipe called for about 20 drops. That did nothing…at ALL. So I used both of the whole bottles. (Lavender & Orange). Nothing. I could have used 2 big bottles of Tide of what I poured down my drain. If you won’t buy store brands because of the lack of smell, you most likely enjoy this. I would try it, then get you some of the laundry boost stuff like the crystals or those by Downy or Gain. You can use that and most likely still save $$$.

• Wendy Poyer says

I have made this for almost a year now.Exact same ingredients but 2 bars of fals-naptha and 4 pounds of baking soda vs.2 cups.I use 3 bottles of purex crystals and yes it does smell nice but after using it for so long,i`ve become immune to the scent but my husbands secretary followed him around his office one day asking him what he was wearing that selled so good,it was the detergent!One batch lasts me about 3 months.It makes 150 loads,i`ve actually kept a “tally”sheet.Oh and another thing,i haven`t used a single drop of bleach in my whites since i started using this.

• Jessica Baker says

Can you help me with the fals-napth soap/ how to break it up?? I have read that it is clumpy
        And, how much does the
        2bars soap,
        4 pounds baking soda
        3 bottles purex crytals make
        And, how much do I put in my laundry

• Jennifer says

Hi there. I am reading the article of how to make laundry soap and I liked how you said it smells good. How much do you put in each load? 2 tablespoons? Thank you.
        Sincerely,
        Jennifer

• Mindy says

Kelly, I have extremely sensitive skin and I have 2 children with eczema. Usually I break out(hives) badly after wearing/using anything washed in powder laundry detergent. I made this and used it for several months (family of 5 plus 3pets) and had no problems!

• Lyndsay says

I have the same problem with my kids. I sub ivory for the other bar soap, because that’s what we use to bathe them and have never had a problem. The only thing is, you have to use twice as many bars of Ivory. I buy a 10 pack for a little over $4, so it’s still cheap.

• Sooz says

Hi Kelly,
      The mix I shared with my friend consisted of Fels Naptha, Borax, and Washing Soda. She was plagued with an itchy rash with commercial soaps and used prescription creams to combat the itch. Once she used this mix, her rash disappeared. Her dermatologist said it’s the Fels Naptha… and requested the recipe!

• Jenn says

Yes, have had no issues with our sensitive skin using but I only use a cup of the crystals. The crystals are for smell only and we use hard bar organic baby soap and grate it in instead.

3. mdoe37 says

I’ve been using this for quite some time in my HE — although I put it in the dispenser (I may stop that now and dump it in the drum instead.).

My recipe calls for washing soda. Because I was concerned about soap dissolving, I use grated Ivory bars. I leave them out and they dry a bit. Fels would probably dry out as well, its seems like a “waxier” soap to me. The website I got my recipe from actually uses oil of olay as the author has allergies. I don’t use the fabric softener crystals, but use vinegar in the rinse.

My clothes don’t smell like anything when I take them out of the wash, just how I like it. They don’t smell like perfume, mountain fresh or vinegar. And no softener sheets either.

• Zoquara says

I use a Downy dryer bar… I can never remember to add softener or fabric sheets, and my clothes are super-staticy without something! I’d use vinegar if I could ever remember to add it! I use fels-naptha in cold water, and it dissolves fine.

• Nina says

Will check out the Downy Bar but when I used the dryer sheets it clogs up my screen in my dryer so that the air does not flow. If you use sheets take your screen out and see if water will flow through it. If it doesn’t you need to wash it often. There is something in the sheets that cling to the screen and make it a fire hazard. I use vinegar or Jillee’s softner recipe….put it in a downy ball. I use to clean for an elderly gentleman and I checked his dryer screen. Water would not go through at all because of his dryer sheets.

• Candy says

Just found this site and am looking forward to exploring more!
          I just want to add to what Nina said about clogging up the screen. Our uncle was in the repair business and told us to never use dryer sheets, etc. if you have a dryer with a moisture sensor for auto dry. The sheets also leave a residue on the sensor and burns it out. Of course the manufacturers will never tell you that, but will be happy to sell you a new sensor.

• tara g says

what i do to remember to add the vinegar is to have it sitting by my soap so i just hit re-rinse and add the vinegar ( i use a 1/4 cup) then i put it in the dryer after it finishes the cycle.

• Pati Gulat says

Cut the Fels Naptha up in LARGE chunks and put about 6 of them on a paper plate and put them in the microwave for 3 minutes. Do this till you’ve done all the soap. They will puff up and then when the’re cool, they are like POWDER ! You can crumble them up or put in the food processor to make it a VERY FINE powder. WORKS AWESOME !!!!

• mdoe37 says

Thanks for the cooking the soap tip. Fels always stays in rather large curls I thought and didn’t want to chance it not dissolving “upstairs” in the washer works.

Now. . . that I’m awake. My recipe calls for washing soda, but not baking soda. I just tossed some baking into my jar because I have softened well water, can’t hurt!!

• Bonnie says

I microwave the Fels for my liquid soap, too before adding it to boiling water. Works very well! Cuts like soft cheese and looks spongy. I think when I run out of my liquid detergent (also a Jillee concoction ;), I’m going to try this and see how I like it.

• Melanie W says

I tried this but found that it created such strong smelling fumes as well as some smoking in my microwave I was very overcome by it all, so I had to stop and turn on the fan and open the windows to clear out the area. Wish that it would have worked, but looks like I’ll be hand grating (until I can get an old food processor that is retired from food processing service). Ready to try this soap though, love the idea of making large quantities and then not having to bother for a while!

• Genie says

I use my small processor(Emmie), and it worked very well. Added a cup of the borax/soda powder, and chunked up the Fels. Did it in small batches and the bowl and blade rinse out clean in the sink or I run through my dish washer. Tried the microwave and I got smoke and smell also. Three minutes may be too long for mine.

• Brenda says

I had the same thing happen but continued with the full bar. I didn’t have smoke but the smell was awful. It took me several days of cleaning the microwave before I could use it again. I placed a bowl of white vinegar and ran it on high for a several mins then let it set overnight. Thank goodness this worked or I would have been out a microwave, anything I cooked tasted like the soap.
            I need to make a new batch and remembered we have an old microwave in the garage I will have do this chore.Least it will be useful and keep it out of the landfill.
            I really think this recipe is best for HE machines and septic systems.

• Melissa says

i tried this and had a lot of dark, I guess burnt stuff, on the bottom of the plate. Did it cook too long.? I did three minutes but maybe my microwave has more wattage or somerhing. Have you ever had rhis happen to you?

• Kathy says

I found out if the Fels Naptha has dried out and is an amber or honey color it will not puff up and will burn when you microwave it. Not enough moisture in the soap and it’s better to just grind it up. If it a creamy yellow, it puffs up great and easily turns into fine powder.

• Mindy says

This is an excellent tip!!! I actually killed my “food” processor because it was so hard to cut up even the smallest chunks! I will FOR SURE try this next time :)
        P.S. The hubs wasn’t happy that I had to spend money that we were “saving” on this soap to buy a new food processor but I was happy cuz I got to buy a bigger, better one! “It was on sale, hunny!” Hehehe!

4. Marla Mutch says

I make one just like this and it is great, I have not saved money tho….cause my mom and daughters carted off all the soap and I keep making more. It smells great and really gets the clothes clean. We switched to this from the All Free and Clear Soap. No one had a skin reaction and for the first time ever I had guests in the laundry room asking about my soap.

5. Emma says

I like this one because you can add bleach if you happen to be one of those people that just have to bleach cloths and towels for sanitary reasons. :) The respective web sites say “no bleach with Dawn” Fine to use with oxy bleach “if you feel the need.

• Amanda Collins says

AWESOME! That answers my question. As a Massage therapist, I’m required by law to wash my work linens in hot water with soap and a CUP of bleach. I always wished I could whip up a batch of the dawn laundry soap, but I always feared my husband confusing the two.

I wonder how you would convert this recipe if you’ve already used a little of the Borax and Washing soda to make a batch of the liquid?

• Katherine says

I make a smaller batch of this and I use 2 cups Borax, 2 cups washing soda, 1 fels naptha bar, 1 cup oxi-clean, although originally I didn’t include the oxi-clean in my recipe. You can omit that and add to specific loads if you want. I use it for whites mainly. Now my recipe includes it and I add half a cup of Downy Unstoppables. Purex crystals are softener and the Downy dots are just a fragrance enhancer. Obviously you can add more. 1-2 tbsp works great and should last around 100 loads. It breaks down to about 6-8 cents per load.

• Gretchen says

Katherine – We love the smell of Downy and don’t want that to stop. Do you use Purex Crystals with the Downy Unstoppables? If so what scent of Purex? I don’t want my clothes smelling like a bad mix of scents.

• R. says

I just made some last night. Used 1 bar of Fels, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda and then just mixed really well. The Fels stayed a little chunkier (no food processor) but it all seemed to dissolve with out a prob in the washer.

6. Debbie says

If you are making your own detergent to avoid chemicals…DON’T USE FELS NAPTHA. It is a petroleum product and can be harsh on delicate skin…if you can find Ivory flakes, they are the best…or Zote, Castille soap, or even Ivory bars are all better choices for the environment and your skin.
    Fels is a great spot treatment…dampen the facric and rub the bar on the stain before washing.

• Denise says

Debbie… The original formula contained napthalene, a benzene petroleum-based solvent. TODAY’S FORMULA CONTAINS NO NAPTHALENE. I am a Master Herbalist and as “natural” as they come and I use Fels Naptha all the time. Actually, the laundry soap works much better with the Fels Naptha than the other soaps and I also pretreat with the bar soap.

• Jennifer says

Denise, thanks for sharing that. I use Fels Naptha as well and had heard that is is petroleum-based, but the label didn’t indicate that to me and it works great. It’s also only .97/bar at walmart here so it’s even cheaper! We avoid all petroleum products so I was looking to use something else next time I make my laundry soap. I’m glad that I don’t have to! I do pretty much this recipe, sans baking soda. Not sure what the function of the baking soda is, though? Should I be adding it? I was thinking that washing soda is the “same” thing in a different form, since I know you can make it by baking baking soda.

I agree with Denise. I’m relatively new to the “make-your-own-laundry detergent” scene and have tried both the Fels Naptha and the Ivory soap. Fels Naptha works MUCH BETTER at cleaning my family’s clothes. I have young children who create lots of laundry, and the batch I made with the Ivory soap just didn’t work as well to get our clothes clean.

• Bonnie says

It actually says on the back of the wrapper, with the ingredients “CONTAINS NO NAPHTHALENE”. My husband has very sensitive skin and loves the homemade laundry detergent I make (thanks to Jill’s recipe…).

• Debra says

Denise-
        I live right on top of my water table (literally yards from a creek) with a leaching septic system. I have shunned chemical cleaners because of this and so was researching the ingredients listed. Obviously, I would cut out the scented crystals but stumbled upon several websites that cautioned against Borax, as well. They said something about it being disruptive to hormonal systems. Have you heard anything like that?

• Tina says

Denise, Thank you, thank you thank you!! I’m trying very hard to be all things natural and good for my family, myself and my planet. I was very relieved to read your comment about the Felsnaptha soap!! Right now I use it to pre-treat stains and for any clothes that I hand wash, and I love it! Thank you for sharing! :)

• Natalie P says

I am soooo glad I read your comment. I always use Zote when I hand wash items or to soak items with stubborn stains and I was wondering if I could substitute. And just a tip if anyone cares to use it:I simmer my Zote with a pot full of water to make my “soaking water” and it leaves my home smelling awesome!

7. cherry fisher says

I have always used the wet version, you shake up before each use. But now, im gonna try the dry version. I will use fels soap. It gets out grease stains, and other stains better.

This is my favorite way for home made laundry soap. I was making the grate/cook version but noticed every once in a while there would be an oily spot. This version so far so good! I love the glass jar idea….I have been using the oxy containers but will now find something more pretty.

9. Linda Prater says

Does this need to be in an airtight container or does the mixing of the different ingredients keep it from clumping together after a period of time. I know my borax & washing soda in the box clumps if not used right away.

• laurel says

I keep mine in an antique bread bin with a very loose fitting lid and have never had a problem with it clumping, even with it sitting on the dryer in a laundry/bathroom combo with moisture and heat. I DO put the mix in a heavy duty plastic bag and put that in the bread bin.

• Amanda says

I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a pretty label on it and never really put the lid all the way back on, just sort of set it on top without smashing it back on, and I don’t have problems with it. I would love to use the glass jar, but my laundry room has a cement floor and I can see myself knocking the jar over and having soap all over the place!

• Trixie says

I purchased a glass “candy jar”, like the ones you used to see at the Brach’s counter in the old country stores, at Walmart for a few dollars and I keep mine in there. The lid just sits on the jar – no seal or anything it sits on top of my dryer. I’ve been using this for a couple of months and haven’t had any clumping problems so far.

10. laurel says

Even after all these years, I cannot make myself buy Fels Naptha…it was what mom used to wash our mouths out with when we said “unseemly” things back in my mis-spent youth! I use Ivory, 3 bars, and “cook” it on high in the microwave. It puffs up, I let it cool, then it shreds very easily. I am making my third batch of this today..love it. And yes, Vizoco, I sometimes find oily spots, but treat them with Dawn/baking soda treatment and they are gone. I also use the home made fabric softener…water, vinegar and hair conditioner, (sprayed on a wahscloth and thrown in the dryer) love that as well. Also make the dishwasher soap, hand cream and carpet cleaner. I have had great results with all the “recipes” I have found on Jillees site and love them all! Look forward to using more.

11. Becky says

Anyone know if these ingredients are okay to use with cloth diapers? Saw the comment about Fels-Naptha being a petroleum product, but after reading the Fels-Naptha ingredient list, I guess I just don’t know which ingredients are petroleum-based. Help?

• Jennifer says

I know that borax is not safe for cloth diapers/covers that contain PUL. If you use AIOs, it’s probably a no-go. You can probably use it to wash diapers that are a natural material, but I would skip the purex crystals since they are a scent and softener. I use prefolds and covers and I wash with Country Save…I prefer to wash everything together. You could hand wash the covers, but to me that isn’t worth the trouble.

• Rebekah says

I use PUL pocket diapers with my daughter, and have been using a recipe that is basically the same as this one for about 6 months. I have not had any problems with the detergent affecting the diapers, and it even removed stains that had been on some of the diapers since before I switched from the store-bought detergent.

• Diana says

I would say it depends on what you use. I had problems with stinky diapers with anything that wasn’t 100% cotton using All Free and Clear. (bum genius). Now I use flats, prefolds (everything 100% cotton) and a variety of covers. I use the liquid and it works just fine. You can even add more detergent if you need and it doesn’t leave stink in my diapers. (I even have an HE. I use to always worry if there was enough water to wash them). I’d say if you want to try it, make a small batch and use it. If you notice a stink, then strip them and switch back to what you were using. (don’t use any fragrances or it might cause diaper rash) Hope this helps.

• Erin says

I use AIO and I have a similar recipe for a liquid laundry soap. It was a disaster. My baby had a diaper rash I couldn’t get rid of, my diapers stunk, and nothing seemed to be clean! Found out I couldn’t use this with hard water. I had to switch to Rockin’ Green laundry soap made for hard water. I haven’t had any problems since and my kids all have sensitive skin. It’s definitely expensive but it lasts a long time. I bought a bag the beginning of Dec and I’m not halfway through it yet and I was using way too much at first! If you don’t have hard water, this should work. I would suggest trying a load and seeing how it works for you.

• Tracy says

Jess, I’m English, but live in Australia. Maybe this will help. Baking soda is what we call bicarbonate of soda. (Found in the baking section), washing soda is what we call washing crystals or soda crystals ( found in laundry aisle in a bag usually, not a box), Fels Naphtha…. replace with a laundry soap bar like Fairy (usually used for stain removal) , Borax I can get in Oz, but cannot remember if it is available in the UK. Try a chemist. If not, order online. Jillee’s liquid detergent uses ‘Dawn’ – this is good old fashioned Fairy liquid washing up liquid! Personally, I add a blend of essential oils to remove odours from my husband’s workclothes when I use the liquid version. Oh, and oxyclean…in Australia it is called Napisan, but I’m sure it’s still oxyclean in the UK. The pink tub of stain removing powder….

• Colleen says

Hi Tracy. Your response to Jess’ comment was so helpful. I’m a Canadian living in Adelaide and even after four years here, I still find myself bamboozled trying to find similar items to what I could get in Canada (when using a North American recipe/instructions). Thank you for posting that!!

12. Jasmine Robertson says

I was a life long liquid laundry detergent user until I made this detergent. It is awesome and I wash the majority of my clothes on cold. We have used Fels-Naptha for years for our sports clothing so I was sold on the ingredients.

My son plays baseball, football basketball, and he also showed pigs at the county 4h fair and this detergent gets EVERYTHING out. I have given some of this to my friends with HE washers and they just put it in the drum and they have had no problems. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from wal mart with a lid to store it in and I shred my Fels-Naptha with my old pampered chef cheese grater. I am going to make fabric softener and dishwashing detergent this weekend.

13. Valerie says

I did this a while back and it seemed to make my lighter clothing and whites totally dingy looking :o/ I was bummed to have to go back to regular detergents but atleast my clothes are bright and white again! love the home made dishwashing detergent recipe though! it rocks!!

• Nicole says

I’m pretty new to homemade detergent making. I’ve done the liquid version with Dawn and now I’m onto the dry version with Fels Naptha. I’ve yet to try Zote but today I noticed that Zote carries 2 different bars. There’s pink Zote and then there’s white Zote that boasts “more whitening power”. I bought 2 bars of it in case I notice that my clothes are looking dingy with the Fels Naptha. Perhaps I’ll make a batch with white Zote just for whites. Also, if you like homemade laundry detergent and have just gone back to commercial brands because of the yellowing, you could also try the peroxide/washing soda booster (just a 1/2 cup of each added to your load). I’ve noticed a big difference when I’ve done that (much more noticable than bleach’s whitening power).

• Jacqui says

I have been using the liquid version for months and my whites are white. I’m not sure what the problem might be for you. I also use cold water for everything, except towels, linens and my husbands socks and undies :)
        I’ve been really happy with the liquid version, but I’m suck of making it up all the time, so I will be making this and trying it instead.

14. Tashiana says

About 3 months ago I switched from the homemade liquid recipe to this recipe. I love adding the Purex crystals…I use the lavender and it is awesome. I tend to use a heavy hand when using soap and I really did try 2-3 tablespoons but I didn’t ever feel like that was enough for large loads so I use 4-5 measured in the little scoop that comes with the oxy clean. Works like a charm, I’m happy, my Husband is happy…and we smell pretty fresh too. BTW I love the smell so much I mix a little of the batch in a sprayer bottle with water and I use it like Febreze.

15. Jenna says

I have tried the liquid detergent in the past and wasn’t overly thrilled with it – it didn’t get out food stains from my kids clothes that my store bought detergent had no problems getting out. I tried this one hoping that it might be better since it has oxy clean in it, but it still doesn’t get them out :( I am not talking about grape juice or anything that would typically not come out, just things like mac n cheese that I normally don’t have a problem with it not coming out. Am I the only one with this problem? I don’t want to have to spot treat every piece of kids clothing before I wash them. I do like it for mine and hubby’s clothes, and towels and sheets, etc. Just not kids clothes.

• lacey says

I mix the homemade powered soap 50/50 with powdered gain because I was having the same problem. It also fixed the clothes from looking dingy. Its the best of both. Yes it costs more but a box of gain lasts a really long time so I am still saving money.

• Sonya says

Yes I have had the same problem. I have tried both powder and liquid and both have turned out disappointing. My clothes were not coming clean so I have gone back to buying store bought detergent. It just isn’t a savings to me when I have to wash clothes 2-3 times or more just to get them clean. I may try your idea Lacey. I hated going back to store bought stuff!

• Jenna says

Well I am glad (I guess? not really – I wish it worked better) that it isn’t just me. I may try mixing it half and half with something else. I just bought a big thing if my regular detergent to use for my kids clothes, and I will use the homemade for everything else. I figure I will still save money that way.

• Meg says

I am wondering if you have hard water? I have sort of hard water, and I use homemade detergent with no problems with my kids clothes. However instead of mixing the baking soda and oxyclean into the laundry soap powder directly I just add a scoop of each to every load. The baking soda is a water softener and a soap booster, the oxyclean keeps things bright and white. Maybe try that instead of mixing it in. I often add 2 scoops of oxyclean if the load is all whites. I will do the same with baking soda if the load is extra dirty or stinky. I like that I have the option of how much I need to add, so I keep the laundry powder simple with just the washing soda, fels, and borax.

• Amber says

I use Calgon water softener when I make my detergent. I make a smaller batch, I use two cups of baking soda, Calgon Water Softener, washing soda, Borax, Fels-Naptha, Biz bleach, Oxyclean, and Pyrex crystals.

• Jodie says

I never knew about Calgon water softener; what a terrific idea! Is that the same Calgon you put in your bath tub?
            My recipe is similar, and I figured out how to turn it into liquid, if need be:
            3 bars Fels Naptha, grated ($0.97 x 3) – Walmart or Winco – $2.91
            1 box Borax ($5.85 – 76 ounces)
            3 boxes of baking soda ($0.55 x 3) *converted into Washing Soda — $1.65
            2 containers of Dollar Tree Oxyclean ($2)
            1-2 containers of Purex fabric softener crystals (I ONLY buy when BOGOF, about $7 for both)
            TOTAL COST: $2.91+5.85+1.65+2+7=$19.41 plus tax
            *To convert baking into washing soda, BAKE it on a cookie sheet for an hour at 400 degrees.
            It only takes 1-2 tablespoons. If you want to turn that into liquid, simply add it to some really hot water. It won’t matter how much, since you’ll put all of it into your machine.

16. Bobbi in KY says

This is like the recipe I have been using, and it works great. My only difference is that I omit the Purex fabric softener and instead add a Gain product just for the pleasant scent.

I also have made a recipe with Ivory soap, just use twice as many bars, and it does wonderful as well!

I wonder how large the glass jar is that is pictured, I would love to have one of those but I have a hard time judging what size I would need while I am at the store.

• Gina says

I bought 2 – Gallon sized glass jars today and it fit them perfectly, so I imagine you’d need to find a 2 gallon jar… Walmart had one just like the picture for like $9.97 … Good luck!

17. KathrynB says

This is the recipe I use and it is the best one I have tried. It smells really fresh and my 16 year old daughter is obsessed with it! She went on vacation with family and one of the things she missed the most was our laundry soap LOL.

18. Breanne says

Hi Jill-

Thank you for testing this out. I’ve been wanting to make homemade laundry soap for awhile, but wasn’t sure how well it would work/turn out. I will definitely try it now, and I love your idea about gifting it. Esp will the cute glass jar!

I’ve been making my own for about 2 years now. I had to laugh the other day – I was making it and DH commented on it. Apparently he had never been home/paid attention for the last 2 years.

He asked what I was doing and I told him. He said “well it’s only cheaper and better if it works”. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I’d been using it for 2 years! Priceless.

I just do the Fells Naptha (which I get sent to me from the US by a friend – can’t get it here in Canada) and the Borax and washing soda.

I use my Bounce fabric softener ball, but fill it with vinegar. The clothes come out so soft!

• Kimmylea says

The softener crystals are optional and based on your preference. If you eliminate them from the recipe, you could just use dryer sheets instead. I also love the idea of putting vinegar in the Downy ball & putting that in the washing machine. I bet that would make the clothes very soft!

20. Heidi says

Jillee,
    I love this glass container you have the soap in! Where in UT did you get it? I just made 3 gal. Of the liquid soap but when i am out I will be trying this dry which looks wonderful!thx

21. Lisa L says

This is how i have been making it for a year and we love it! I use the grater disc on processer grate bars like cheese then add Some of powders switch to blade and process it all turns to beautiful powder .i do this in batches that fit dump in big cheap plastic bowl to mix. My husband loves the fels naptha scent very fresh. I also use some downy unstoppables will have to try purex crystals
    Bought the big glass jar at target and it looks great.

22. Lisa L says

I wash in cold water, i add soap turn on the wash then add clothes and it dissolves fine . You can also take some warm or hot water from sink and mix it into powder then add to wash if you are worried it will not dissolve .

23. Tracy says

I’ve been making my own laundry detergent for a few years now. I started with the grated/cooked recipe, but now use the powder. I read a while back on LittleHouseInTheSuburbs about adding citric acid or LemiShine to the recipe to re-balance the pH and/or if you have hard water (ours is super-hard here in karst/limestone territory!). My most recent recipe used 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of washing soda, 1 bar of white Zote, and 1/2 cup citric acid. I got the citric acid at a beer/winemaking shop and it was cheap.. a pound for $3.xx. I also use 1/2 cup of vinegar in my Downy ball. My clothes feel so much softer since I’ve been adding the citric acid to the detergent and using the vinegar in the rinse water. This is a recipe I’ll keep using. I already make Jillee’s “OxyCleen” with peroxide and washing soda, so I might try adding the Dollar Store oxygen cleaner to the mix. I also usually add the scent pellets because I like a pleasant scent to my laundry. I have to add that I simply LOVE Jillee’s site!

• Jean says

I use Biz powder in my recipe-1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda, 1 bar Kirk’s Castile soap grated & 1/2 Cup Biz powder. 2 Tbls in my front loading HE washer and fill the Softener container with vinegar. Whites are white & clothes are clean whether I use warm or cold water.

Am trying the pink Zote for my next batch…….wish me luck. I have also used Fels Naptha with great results.

24. Kelly J says

I’m not sure if this was asked, but I am a little confused about the amount for the ingredients. For the Oxyclean, it says 2 containers, but what size? Also it looks like a lot of detergent. What size class container did you use, and I’m sure you have extra, do you put it in another glass container? Thanks so much!

25. Lor says

Can’t wait to try this. I have been hesitant to try the liquid variety due to storage and training my fam to shake first! Having the dry seems so much more user friendly with my fam. I have an HE washer and have only used liquid soap but since so many say this is safe for HE I am going to try it. Love the idea of not having to buy soap for so long. I think I may have a new idea for hostess gifts! How about with a gift card that reads something like “Thank you for your sparkling hospitality”. I’m not very crafty so will enlist my creative 16 year old daughter to come up with a cute saying. Love your site Jillee. I check it everyday and am inspired to try new things. Blessings to you and your fam.

26. Theresa says

I’ve tried the homemade liquid and powder, and I prefer powder with fels naptha. It works amazingly well. The liquid does average out to less bet load, but I like the better cleaning power of the powder. Just to help grate it easier, cut your bar soap in chunks and let sit out to dry for a day or two. It makes it easier to put through the food processor and you get a finer more po
    wdery result.

27. Kim Mease says

I don’t think you can use oxi-clean and bleach together… Don’t they neutralize each other? I make a small batch of powdered, without oxi-clean for the loads that I need to bleach. Also, I may have missed it, but what is the purpose of baking soda and washing soda together. Do they each do something different?

• Amanda says

I was curious about this same thing the first time I made it, so I put a bit of bleach in a container and put some of this in there. I’m not sure what it does to clothes, but it fizzed up all over the place when I added the detergent. Since then, I switched to using lemon juice, it’s a natural whitener and your clothes do not come out smelling like lemons!

I’ve been making my own for a couple of months now, very similar to yours. But I’ve been using Ivory instead of Fels Naptha, and using the “microwave method” to shred it. It reduces it to a fine powder, which is great for the washer, not not so good for me (as I feel like I breathe some every time I use it). So I’m thinking of going back to Fels Naptha and making a HUGE batch of it after seeing your post. :) Thanks for sharing this, along with great photos!

29. Jennifer C says

I’ve been making a very similar recipe since the first of the year (add washing soda, no purex crystals), and I love it. But I have to say, a batch this size lasts my family of 4 3 months, not a year. Still a huge savings, but this gal must not do much washing if it lasts a year. And I only use 1 tbsp per load!

• Lisa in Wisconsin says

Sally, have you tried adding some vinegar to the rinse? This seems to help A LOT when I wash my daughters stinky hockey stuff! My GF uses it too with her son’s stuff, she says it works also. Man I’m glad I don’t have a boy when it comes to hockey! They really STINK!

• Diana says

If the armpits are covered with deodorant too, wet the shirt and rub a wet bar of fels naptha on it. I did this on shirts I told my husband to throw out (until I realized he had over 20 nice shirts). It worked on half of them and improved even the really bad ones. It is a pain but it works better than anything else I have tried. Hope this helps.

• Jeni Rose says

I work as and assistant manager of a fast food taco joint(similar to Taco Bell) and my uniforms stink like tacos and grease at the end of a shift…and it’s not pretty. This detergent leaves NO trace of smell and leaves my uniforms smelling AMAZING. You will love it!

• Sandy says

I did some research on line and answered my own question, but thought I would put it here in case anyone else with septic systems is wondering about this. The consensus seems to be that liquid detergent is better than the powdered for septic tanks.

• Megan says

I bought a grater at the dollar store just for making detergent. (I had issues with the idea of using my box grater on cheese AND laundry soap.) It’s probably not nearly as convenient as a food processor, but it’s not bad to grate the soap by hand and the clean up is super easy!

• Brenda says

I use a blender because I don’t know if it will leave residue in the processor. You just have to do it in smaller batches and it will create fumes and “powder” in the air.
      My husband just brought the old microwave on the deck and I heated my soap there so it wouldn’t smoke out the house.

• Maegan says

LOL! That is a good idea. My hubby was a tried and true Tide user. But once I told him the cost, it peaked his interest. Like I said in my post below, I made this and then gave half away as gifts or others to try, convincing him we just needed to try it. This was easier when the massive amount this makes is cut in half. After 3 months, he is sold. He’s a tree trimmer so his clothes get dirty and sweaty but this soap has passed that test and now he wants to see how long a whole recipe will last us. Like I said, we have been using this for 3 months and still have plenty!

I tried this about a month ago with just the basic soap, borax and washing soda. It was super awesome. My daughter has bad reactions to almost all washing powders. She had no reaction to this mix. It does a great job removing stains and odors. I accidently got red hair dye on a white tshirt. I washed it immediately in this mix and it left no stain at all. I am going to try this new mix with the added ingredients.

31. Lisa in Wisconsin says

I think I’m going to have to make a trip to town to go to Wal-Mart and Family Dollar! I’m loving all the testimonies and questions, but haven’t seen mine, so I will ask them. I have two:

With the “oxy-clean” type bleach, does that fade your darks? I’d hate for my black yoga pants and work out pants to be faded.

I use washing soda & hydrogen peroxide for my whites (don’t use bleach any more because my whites come out WHITE with this method) and would adding more washing soda harm my clothes when I’m doing whites?

• Jennifer says

Tell me more about the washing soda & peroxide…I would LOVE to try it, because bleach seems to never do all that much. I only use it when I need to sanitize dish towels (We are a paper towel-free home).

I haven’t noticed it fading darks, btw. But I also might not notice since my kids wear very little black/dark blue and I haven’t bought new clothes for myself in a loooong time, so my own black yoga pants are already pretty faded.

• Lisa in Wisconsin says

I got it from here! 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 c hydrogen peroxide. I add my detergent, let my machine fill 1/2 way, clothes, then let agitate for about 5 minutes. Then stop the machine and let soak for a few hours to overnight. VERY NICE! My husband complains he can never get his as white. I keep telling him to stop using the bleach! He just gives me his whites now. (I usually do everyone’s as we rarely have enough to make a full load. And we’re a house of do it yourselfers when it comes to laundry)

• CTY says

The rule for my boys and doing their own laundry was this: Once they are tall enough to reach (we had a top loader) over & into the bottom of the machine without falling inside they were ready to do their own laundry. My 26 year old son still complains about that rule because his brother did not reach the height at the same age. I think it took nearly 2 extra years for his brother to reach the height. Funny how my older son says he felt cheated because I washed his brothers clothes longer than his. It has become an ongoing joke now– at our house. The 26 year old is now married & has an infant-he says this injustice will never happen at his house because he has a front loading machine. He says in fact, that was the criteria when buying a washer! Does he lay it on thick or what?

• Kevin says

I have been using this for quite some time and it has never faded my darks – and I wear mostly dark colors. Just to let you know how well the Oxyclean type stuff works: I was given several adorable baby girl outfits that had obviously only been worn once or twice, BUT they had terrible formula stains on them that didn’t come out in the wash so I mixed up a gallon of water and put in a whole cup of oxyclean, let it dissolve and added the baby clothes – then I forgot about it. Five days later I remembered them and figured they were ruined but decided to run them through the wash and see. They cam out looking brand new and there were no stains at all and the colors were still nice and bright!!! Since then I have done the same thing with my husbands armpit stained t-shirts with great results.

32. Lyndsay says

I have gotten lazy the past few days in my laundry soap making. I haven’t felt like grating a bar of soap, or even mixing together anything. So I have just been adding a big squirt of dawn, a shake of borax, and a shake of washing soda to each load of laundry. Crazy thing is, it cleans better than my other detergent. I may have to actually mix it together with water in a jug…sometime :)

• marion says

wow what a great idear i am tired of the high prices of laundry detergent,,,i rent so we have a area with 1 washer topload ( i call it a rust bucket haha) and 1 dryer so it also cost quarters but i am happy i dont have to go to a laundromat….my question is can i use this in this machine?? and do i put the soap in first and let the water fill up? open the lid and then put in my clothes??

also i do use bleach but the white socks still dont come out clean…so what is the best to use for that? the peroxide and soap i read here?? anyways thanks to all of you for your great responses and ideas have a great day

1. [...] Make A Year’s Worth of Laundry Soap for $30.00!One Good Thing by Jillee | One Good Thing by Ji… Anyone do or consider making their own soap? Apparently, it's pretty inexpensive and you can control what chemicals are used. The comments from that post are very positive. I was thinking of doing this, but am not sure where to buy most ingredients (aside from the net). [...]