Make Your Own Swipes {Sanitizing Wipes}!

My family and I recently returned from a road trip to California (roughly 11 hours each way). We went to help my brother celebrate his wedding, but used that as an excuse to spend four days at the beach. :-) Heaven!

Before we left I decided to quickly make a batch of “Swipes” that I had just seen on my sister Rebecca’s website, Camp Wander. These Sanitizing Wipes are infused with Lavender & Lemon Essential Oils which not only make them wonderfully fragrant, but also have antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties! Perfect for a long car ride where we would be stopping several times and using suspect public facilities. :-)

Since I was pressed for time, I decided to make mine with baby wipes that I already had on hand (her version calls for using Bounty Quilted Napkins, another good option!).

Now I COULD have just put them in this less-than-lovely wipes container that came with the large box of wipes I had purchased at Costco….

sanitizing wipes

…but since I don’t actually have a baby…I always feel a little funny pulling this thing out. Plus, it’s not the most discreet or “fashionable” container. I’m weird about stuff like that.

I just happened to find these containers at Walmart when I was shopping for some travel size things for our trip. They are travel first aid kits that turned out to be the perfect size for my “swipes” (plus the few first aid items that came inside it I just transferred to my First Aid Car Kit!).

sanitizing wipes

How To Make Your Own Sani-Wipes:

Pile up folded baby wipes or halved napkins in a container with a lid.

Mix together:

1 1/2 C. very warm water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon rubbing alcohol or vodka
3 drops Lavender essential oil
3 drops Lemon essential oil (I used Spark Naturals oils)

Make sure the coconut has melted into the water then pour the mixture onto the stack(s) of wipes. If you are using the baby wipes, you won’t need to use all of the liquid. But I would put it in a container to use later! I wish I had saved mine…we used both of my boxes of “swipes” on the trip TO California and I had to improvise with just the baby wipes and a few drops of oil for the car ride back!

The hubster, the kids, and myself all LOVED these things. They are sanitizing, softening and smell so good! You really feel like you’re doing something good for yourself…and you are. :-)

If you have any questions about essential oils…I would encourage you to check out Rebecca’s website or her blog. She has so many great ideas and so much information about the benefits of Essential Oils. She has definitely made me a believer! :-)

sanitizing wipes

Share on Facebook364Tweet about this on Twitter18Pin on Pinterest6,866Google+1

Comments

1. Tina says

I loooove the scent of lavender and lemon/lime! Great idea!
    Do you make washable/reusable wipes?

Tina….I’ve gone “reusable” with paper towels….but haven’t tried it with wipes….yet. Adding it to the list. ;-)
      And I LOVE lavender and lemon as well! One of my favs!!!

• Cynthia says

I’m absolutely addicted to the Lemon and Lavender air fresheners from Yankee Candle.
        Jill, I know you have a “recipe” for gel air fresheners, which I plan to try…but I wonder if you could find one to make the little ones that you can hang from your rear-view to freshen up the car? That would be a FABULOUSLY Good Thing!

2. Michelle says

Definetly going to make this, since I will be driving with daughter to San Francisco next week and I am sure we will encounter suspect public facilities

can you tell me where you can find essential oils at a cheaper price ? I checked out the site you have listed . I recently lost my job and can not pay $23.00 and up for a bottle .I need several differant kind of oils . thank you
    Paulette

4. Jennifer says

Does lemon have special properties? I have lavender and tea tree oil, any thoughts on that combo?

5. Deborah Jennings says

Jill, you can cover the wipes box. My DIL covered a small one to keep her little girl’s smaller toys in and one has her son’s hot wheel cars in it. Also good for other things, too.

I do use baby wipes, and/or the flushable wipes here at home. I have even bought the travel size wipes to keep in the car. They now have them with the pop up lids and they stay moist for a long time. I just bought a package of 3 like that for around $5. They are also good for sticky hands in the car, as well as taking make-up off when traveling and even at home. I really need to get out my hot glue gun, some batting and fabric and cover a couple of boxes.

6. Patti White says

I have to be careful with the coconut oil since I’m sensitive to coconut….what would be a good substitute? Maybe grapeseed oil? I’m not overly fond of the scent of olive oil, so that’s out for me.

Awesome. Love the essential oils (aaaah) in the sanitizing wipe, even if it may be a little expensive for a disposable wipe…it may be worth it.

8. Brigid says

These sound great although, like Patti, I too would rather not use coconut oil, would olive oil work? If not, any other oil potions that you could suggest?