Make Your Own Homemade Wipes For Little Noses

homemade nose wipes

Once again…I have been inspired by one of your emails (or Facebook posts…I can’t remember which it was!) to try something that would never have occurred to me otherwise. Earlier this week it was Car Air Fresheners, today it’s Wipes For Little Noses. I’ll be honest and say I didn’t really know what these were…but I had a pretty good idea based on the name alone.

Nose wipes when MY kids were small were the sleeves of their shirts! lol! Just kidding!!! Gross. :-) Nose wipes were plain ole tissues. But after I looked into these new-fangled nose wipes I could see the appeal. Saline nose wipes that ease the discomfort of kids’ sore, red, runny noses. Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.

But if you’re looking for a less expensive, more eco-friendly alternative….consider making your own. :-)

Since I don’t really have a need for wipes for little noses at this stage of my life (let’s face it….if my 13 and 17 year old sons need their noses wiped…they are darn well going to do it themselves!) I decided to make up a couple of batches for two of my nieces who have toddlers at home and are BOTH about the give birth AGAIN! I figure they could use whatever help they can get. :-)

I wanted the gift to be able to “keep on giving” so I decided to go with cloth wipes instead of paper. I bought a package of 4 inexpensive receiving blankets and cut two of them up for the wipes. The other two I will include in a future baby gift. Each blanket gave me 16 good-sized cloth wipes.

homemade boogie wipes

homemade boogie wipes

Next I needed a container. I didn’t want it to be too big because I’m assuming they will use these when they are “on-the-go” and will need to put them in a purse or diaper bag. I decided these travel soap boxes would do quite nicely.

homemade boogie wipes

Originally I figured I could probably fit about 4 in each box…but after they were wet, I was able to smoosh them down enough to include 6 in each box.

homemade boogie wipes

The “concoction” I mixed up to soak the wipes in is adapted from Nancy at My Williams Family Est 2004.

Homemade Nose Wipes

1 cup hot water (preferably distilled)
A pinch of sea salt (I probably used about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 Tablespoon of aloe vera (gel or liquid)
The contents of 2 Vitamin E capsules
3 – 4 drops of lavender essential oil
2 teaspoons witch hazel

Combine all the above ingredients into a small container, then soak pre-folded cloth wipes in the solution. Squeeze out most of the water and place in bar soap box.

homemade boogie wipes

I made a “boy” box and a “girl” box because one niece is expecting baby Jack and once niece is expecting baby Layla. :-) Can’t wait!

homemade boogie wipes

homemade boogie wipes

So now we’re all better prepared! But let’s hope for a healthy fall and winter so we won’t be needing them! (Well, we can always HOPE!)

Share on Facebook583Tweet about this on Twitter10Pin on Pinterest27,612Google+7

Comments

1. Laura says

My son and I laughed hysterically at the ‘grape’ scented boogie wipes we saw in the store the other day. While we agreed the idea had merit, who would want to smell grape while wiping your nose. Thank you for taking the time to come up with a home version. I am interested to see what the boys’ reaction will be to these.

• Jennifer says

My son! I have always bought the sensitive kind but my mom bought a pack of the grape ones and my son (2 at the time) was constantly asking for a grapey wipe. They know their audience!

• Megan says

Who wants to smell grape while wiping their nose? Kids do! Most kids, including mine, hate having their noses wiped…especially when they’re red and chapped from being wiped over and over for days on end. Since buying the grape scented boogie wipes my kids have not protested once. The smell almost acts as a distraction to them and they hardly even notice that I’m wiping their noses anymore. I’m sure these homemade boogie wipes are more economical and “greener” but this is one Mom who will continue buying the grape scented Boogie Wipes after I’ve experienced how much easier they make cold season at our house.

2. Trish says

Brilliant! Love all your recipes, and your personality :-) I tell everyone about the SHOUT, works fantastic…so I look forward to making these also :-) TY

3. Misty says

What a great idea! I want to try these! One question though. You said you chose cloth instead of paper, so what would you use as the paper product? Paper towels?

My kids are 14 and 17 so I’m with you on the “they are darn well going to do it themselves” part! Personally, after a kid (or parent) wipes a boogie nose I want nothing to do with touching that thing again so in trash it goes! We used tissues (Puffs are gentle). If mine were babies again, I’d probably still use tissues. I assume since these are reusable the recipient will have to mix up the recipe again after she washes them. I’m a fairly new follower of you here on your blog and Pinterest. I love all the DIY ideas and will be making “Rosemary’s Mint Fabric Softener” as soon as my bottle of Downy runs out. I bought lavender conditioner because Walmart didn’t have much of a selection of scents to choose from.

5. jean says

I have been following your blog everyday and re-pinning when I feel the need. hope that this helps you out some. Seeing these boogies wipes and thinking how this would be a great thing to have around for tear staining on dogs. eye boogers on dogs are sometimes hard to get out. I’m going to try this for the animals. Thank you

6. Rebecca Nelson says

I must say u never stop amazing me- I was literally getting on pinterest just so I could go to your blog and ask u/ or challenge u rather bc my mind was stumped! Both my kids have allergies just 2yr and almost 4 and seem to sneeze every time we get in the car and I’m driving. But not a lil sneeze- snot down to their shoes! I can hand them a tissue most of the time, but they can only do sooo much w 1 tissue. And my daughter would totally use a whole box in 1 sec if I put it where she could reach- but I also wanted a more GREEN solution. I have a bucket in between Their seats for “trash” aka the ziplock bags from breakfast we reuse or sippy cups when empty – the keep or reuse stuff not trash. And I thought maybe I could make something like the paper free towels only tissue size but wet and roll them to dispense like cleaning wipes ? But Receiving blankets will be nice and really I bet I could even leave some dry – and fold up into box to dispense like regular Kleenex too… And I have like 5 million blankets left we don’t use anymore too!

I think a zipped baggie to keep the used wipes is a great idea. I remember when I used to carry a diaper bag I always had one of those for used stuff. :-)

Glad it was a timely topic for you Rebecca! :-) Thanks for your comment!

Amazing! I’ve never heard of these! Of course, there aren’t any little ones in the family..I feel so out of the loop! Hoping someday to have grandchildren….with 4 between the ages of 21 – 35 you think I should be well on my way. Only my oldest is married. But today is a differnet world. If they aren’t ready, they have more brains than I did! LOL I’m pinning this for “hopefully” future use ;)
    You are so clever! Love your blog ♥
    Have a great day!
    *hugs*deb

8. Becky says

I went paperless a few months ago so now instead of paper tissues, I use flannel tissues. Just cut squares of flannel material, about 6 x 6, zigzag the edges and you’re good to go. I keep a bunch folded up and in an easily accessible spot for my grandkids – and us too. They’ve worked out fantastic!! Just throw them in with the laundry and you’re good to go again. The more you wash them, the softer they get. You have to cut off the “shreds” around the edge of the material the first couple of times but then they stop doing that and you have nice, soft tissues.

9. Tanya says

You would think that at this stage of my life I wouldn’t need these either, my kids are 18, 16, and 12. However, I do have 3 shih tzus. I am making these up this week to use on their eyes. because of their smushed up faces, they are notorious for eye drainage and it is a daily struggle to keep them clean and from smelling. Of course, this is easily taken care of when we are home, but they go everywhere with me and it never fails, that when we are out, I will need to clean their eyes. These will be perfect! Thanks!!

1. […] Jillee, at One Good Thing, has this pretty cool tutorial on making cloth boogie wipes.  While I love cloth and use cloth diapers as well as cloth napkins, I wasn’t ready to give up some of my cloth napkins for boogie wipes.  Plus, I love that the disposable wipes are super soft.  I don’t have any extra soft material laying around and I don’t have money in my budget to go buy new fabric.  I tweaked Jillee’s recipe a lot and ended up with something totally different from her tutorial, but very close to the original Boogie Wipes.  I think that as long as you have the right amount of saline solution and vitamin E in the wipes you should be pretty good and end up with some nice DIY boogie wipes. […]