Simple and Creative Ideas for Recycling Cereal Boxes!

Cereal Box Upcycling

If you’re like our family….you go through A LOT of cereal boxes. The funny thing is…we rarely eat cereal for BREAKFAST…it’s more of a snack item around here. Especially at night when I have announced that “the kitchen is closed” (ie. “you are on your own if you want anything more to eat tonight”). When left on their own like that, pouring a bowl of cereal is about all the menfolk around here seem inclined to do. (Tell me I’m not alone here!)

Subsequently we go through a lot of cereal and cereal boxes. I’ve never been able to figure out a good way to reuse them….until now.

I stumbled on a few cute ways to give new life to those old cereal boxes and HAD to try them out!

The mini pocket notebooks are my fav, but I also love the simply cute boxes….and the funky pencil cases!

These would make fun little gifts or gift packaging for the holidays!

I tried my best to take pictures of the process of making each one…but I’m afraid my A.D.D. got the better of me and I missed several steps along the way. Good thing there are excellent tutorials for all three already out there! :-)

I have linked each one to the website I found them at for reference.

Mini Pocket Notebooks

Inspired by Creme de la Craft.

cereal box upcycling

cereal box upcycling

Gift Boxes

Heart Flower Gift Box

Inspired by Stuff You Can’t Have where you can find instructions and the template to download.

cereal box upcycling

cereal box upcycling

Inside-Out Cereal Box Gift Box

Inspired by Instructables. Detailed instructions can be found here.

cereal box upcycling

cereal box upcycling

Funky Pencil Cases

Inspired by Makezine where you can find instructions and the template to download.

cereal box upcycling

Cereal Box Upcycling

I love turning “trash” into “treasure”!   Just check out the BEFORE and AFTER! Pretty impressive if I do say so myself. :-)

cereal box upcycling

Share on Facebook613Tweet about this on Twitter41Pin on Pinterest110,320Google+13

Comments

1. Cynthia says

Love the idea of upcycling like this. I really want to make some of the gift boxes, but they’re not the right size or shape for what I really need.
    I’m making scrapbooks for Christmas, for my cousins, filled with photos of our grandparents and parents throughout the years. They’re only little books – the pages are 6×6, so the boxes don’t need to be very large. I have been able to find a couple of leftover boxes here and there that’ll work, but if I could make my own, that would be really awesome.

• Gerry says

Use cardstock or similar heavy paper. Draw a square or rectangle the dimension of your album. Add 1/16″ on all sides. Draw extensions on all sides the depth you want boxes to be. Fold extensions up towards center. On opposite ends cut along fold line of side extensions. Cut jus to the fold like. Fold the ends that were cut in towards the center of the end side piece. Glue. Make lid the same way, only add 1/8″ on sides to make the lid large enough to fit over bottom. Recycled greeting cards can make unique boxes.

2. Shana says

Jillee,

You gave me the idea for hand made Christmas gifts yesterday-now I have learned a fantastic gift box idea that is TOTALLY FREE, from something I use anyway!! How awesome is that! Now I just need to stick Post Its on the cereal boxes-DO NOT THROW AWAY!!! :)
    Thank you my dear!
    xoxo

3. Deb says

Save the inner bags, too. They’re super tough and great for crushing crackers, nuts, etc and a much better alternative to wax paper for pounding/tenderizing meat.

4. Donna says

Great ideas….. I also need different sized boxes and I bet if I go online and search for patterns to make gift boxes there will be a lot more sizes already thought out. Thank you for the idea.

Thanks for the great post! My kids just finished their 4-H county fair judging, and I was wondering how to save or display their ribbons. The gift box looks like it might be the perfect size. They can even store other mementos from the year, and we can catalogue each new year of 4-H. Love it!

6. Terri says

My cereal box recycle is pretty basic. I use the large cereal boxes that come from warehouse stores like Costco. I use packaging tape to secure the flaps on the outside of the box; it also strengthens the box. I use the box this way as a small recycling box in rooms that don’t need a huge one.

I have one in my bathroom to throw toilet roll tubes, old prescription bottles, etc. Another is close to the family room chair where I sit and open mail, read catalogs, etc. I throw any junk mail, unwanted catalogs, etc. in that recycle box.

I’m a quilter and keep one next to my cutting/ ironing board for paper I use in the course of making quilts.

I could be creative and paint or cover the boxes, but I’m afraid I just don’t have the need. It’d be nice but I’d rather quilt!

Cool!!! My kids always steal them for their own crafts & they get very creative with them. But now it looks like I will have some uses for them myself.

8. Laura Wallace says

how can you paint a little tikes washer and dryer and where can you find tickers for the wear and fadedcolors also how to clean cloth on play toys

• Traquis Edwards says

I know that there is a spray paint that you can use on plastic that would work for the Little Tikes Washer and Dryer

9. Ada Mangoes says

I also love to reuse these kinds of boxes to make shipping containers for small gifts like jewelry or soaps. Things that need to be packaged with a little more care than usual, but are also smaller than most. A couple layers of the cardstock makes a really sturdy mailer. Plus it can be decorated any way you like on the inside and outside if you put the layers front to front!

1. [...] When I saw this home project, I know I’m going to make this, 100% sure about that! This is truly amazing! How did they come up with something beautiful out of the scraps?! This is a kind of project that could draw anyone’s interest! They would surely feel amazed if they would know how you’d come up with this kind of stuff!For the more go here [...]