Thursday, October 25, 2012

Spooky Floating Cheesecloth Ghost

floating cheesecloth ghost

Let me just start out by saying I am not much of a Halloween decorator.

About the most I ever do for this holiday is set out pumpkins early in October and then just before Halloween I carve a few of them.

This year I went “all out” and added these cardstock bats to my front door! I even ordered a witch costume from Halloween Express.  I know! I got a little crazy! :-)

But the “craziness” didn’t end there, because when I saw this idea for a Spoooooooky Cheesecloth Ghost at Every Day Is A Crafting Day….I simply could not resist trying to make one. I say TRYING because I wasn’t sure I could pull it off.  It may be a “kindergarten craft” idea but it still seemed a little intimidating to me.

Turns out it really was as easy as it looks!

Here’s all you need:

• 2 liter soda pop bottle
  • starch
  • cheesecloth
  • styrofoam ball
  • wire

floating cheesecloth ghost

Since the pictures are pretty self-explanatory….so I’ll just add a few tips (or a few things I might have done differently):

• double the cheesecloth to make a stiffer ghost
  • “puddle” the cheesecloth at the bottom for a sturdier base
  • for faster drying set in front of a fan
  • fill the 2-liter bottle with water to make it more stable
  • use a fairly heavy gauge wire to hold the arms up, or you could do an “armless” ghost too
  • you can either spray the starch onto the dry cheesecloth already draped over the form OR soak the cheesecloth in starch and then drape it over the form
  • the ghost eyes can be drawn on with a marker or added with black construction paper or felt

Once dry, remove from form and place on a table. Or, for an even spookier effect, hang by a string from your ceiling fan!

Take a look at this super SCARY video I made!

Ghoulish isn’t it!?!? I hope I didn’t scare you too badly!!

Now it’s your turn to share……how do YOU decorate for All Hallows Eve

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

26 thoughts on “Spooky Floating Cheesecloth Ghost

1. Lisa H

Ok…..the music is THE BEST!! LOL….I needed that laugh! LOVE IT!! You have the best sense of humor and it shows through your writing. I am a recent fan and have enjoyed your blog immensely.

2. Susie

I love all your stuff, Jillee! You are so full of fantastic ideas. I love the idea of making these ghosts into Christmas angels. And in the same “spirit”, one of your ghosts had sort of bat shaped wings. You could add pointy ears and paint it black. Add yellow eyes if you want.

3. Erica

Can these go outside (on a covered porch) or will the humidity take the stiffness out of it? These are so cute – they would be adorable for outside decorations.

1. Jillee Post author

I’m not sure about the humidity (don’t have much of that here!), but I would think they would be great if you hung them outside. Standing, they would probably blow over.

4. Comet

These can be sealed against humidity with clear hairspray or Krylon.

We have done these forever with school, Scouts etc. If you “unravel” a bit at the tail ends you can get a “ghostlier” effect. You can use either liquid starch–I like this better–or spray but you need a few coats of spray to soak the fabric.

Another way to do a bunch of these at a time is to use BALLOONS as the round mold. Blow up small balloons, tie a thread or fishing line to the end. Put string thru the cheesecloth and either dip them or rub the starch on with your hands or use spray starch. You can also run the thread thru after they have been coated with the starch. Tie onto whatever you have–shower rod works well—to let them dry. This way you can also do different “hem” styles since you don’t need to prop up for standing. Just carefully remove from balloons at the end or when they are almost dry–if they dry fast you can still peel the cloth off; to reshape just dampen a bit. This also allows you to use different shapes of balloons for different effects. Or leave the balloons inside!

You can decorate with almost anything–try shiny black or red beads for eyes!

You can get a similar but “heavier” effect with old sheets or other fabric–use old rags or balls to make the “head” and gather the “neck” loosely with a piece of rope or string—decorate by cutting the “tails” at angles and unraveling—use buttons, markers or felt to do features. These can go outside and can be made in different sizes–a “Pumpkin Patch” place near us does these in all sizes and hangs them on fences and stakes. Another “old sheet” ghost idea is to make these out of a whole sheet–or a large piece of fabric-=–and place them on tall stakes. Take the “arm” sides and join them to the other “arms” of the ghosts in a line or circle. You can use straw to stuff these too! A circle of these is awesome!

These also make great fund raiser items and or party favors.

5. CTY

Not much of a Halloween decorator–nowhere to store from year to year.
    I do love to carve pumpkins and roast the seeds.
    Did make this once using a floor lamp and small beach ball, used lots of cheesecloth–but it came out great & life size. He got left out when it rained and he “disappeared”.

6. Kasey

Jillee, you are so awesome! I loved your video, it gave me just the giggle I needed today. I am a fairly new follower, I have been with you for a little over a month and I am finding your blog so useful. You have also inspired me to start blogging regularly. I have to admit that I reblog a lot of your ideas, but am always careful to give you credit and send my readers back here. Since you asked what your readers do for halloween, here is the link I just posted about my halloween decorations, you can check it out here: http://mylifewithouttrainingwheels.blogspot.com/2012/10/boo-its-time-to-decorate.html
    I think I will have to add some of these adorable ghosts!
    Thanks for inspiring me!

7. LegoJediMom

My son (now 14) made these in Kindergarten. I pull them out every year, so they are getting a little sad. I was just thinking we should make some new ones and then you go and give me the directions. Thanks for reading my mind!

8. Jeff WIngfield

This scared me to death!!! LOL! Really, this is such a wonderful idea and I loved hanging the “ghost” from a ceiling fan!!!! Thanks for the great work!!!!

Jeff

9. Pingback: 20 Ghostly Halloween Ideas

10. Pingback: 12 Ways To Make Your House The Most Haunting Home On The Block | First Team Real Estate Blog

11. Pingback: Cute and Crafty Cheesecloth Ghost | Scraplifters