Saturday, November 10, 2012

“Stuck Inside During A Snow Storm” Marshmallow Popcorn

marshamallow popcornThis is what happens when I’m stuck at home during a snow storm….I am transformed into a domestic goddess…and you get a SECOND “Good Thing” in one day! :-)

I saw this on Pinterest this morning and had to hold myself back from running to the kitchen to make it. I exercised some self control and waited until after lunch. ;-)

(I tried to track down the source, but it just led to a photo “Uploaded by User“. If anyone knows the original pinner…I would love to give credit where credit is due!)

Click on ‘READ MORE’ for recipe and more pictures…but no more talking…I’m too busy eating!

Marshmallow Popcorn

3 bags microwave popcorn (pop and take out extra kernels)
2 sticks of butter
16 oz bag of marshmallows
1 cup brown sugar

Microwave butter, marshmallows, and brown sugar for 2 1/2 min. Take out and stir. Microwave again for 1 min. Repeat until it becomes thin enough to easily pour. Pour over popcorn and mix.

EAT! (and eat…and eat…and eat….)

marshamallow popcorn

marshamallow popcorn

marshamallow popcorn

marshamallow popcorn

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

54 thoughts on ““Stuck Inside During A Snow Storm” Marshmallow Popcorn

1. Kim

My theory is that food eaten while standing, cooking, or tasted from a child’s plate have not calories. Also, broken cookies have no calories since the calories have fallen out when the cookie broke.

This is MY story, and I’m sticking to it, too!

1. Nicholle C.

Any idea about how many cups of unpopped kernals would be in 3 bags of microwave corn? I use an air-popper, and don’t buy the bags of microwave popcorn….

1. Jillee Post author

According to Pop Secret, one bag of microwaveable Pop Secret popcorn contains 3 tbsp. (36 g) of unpopped popcorn. This translates to 4 cups of popped popcorn, which is equivalent to three servings.

:-)

2. Jenn

This is based off a Tupperware recipe. Theirs only calls for 2 bags of popcorn, 1 stick of butter, 10 large marshmallows, and 3/4 cup brown sugar. (I learned it when I was selling Tupperware years ago & it’s become my “assigned” treat to bring to work.)

3. Staci

My kids and I didn’t go straight to the kitchen…we went straight to the store for the ingredients!! Lol! It sounded so good we wanted it now!! Yummy!! Thanks for posting!!

4. Nancy

I’ve been making this recipe on the stove top since I was a little girl 40+ years ago. I use half the butter though. Now my children love it. Thanks for the microwave version! Blessings~Nancy

1. Cynthia

I plan on making this on Wednesday night, to take to the movies on Thursday. I know, you’re not supposed to take your own snacks in…so sue me! But I was only going to use 1 bag of popcorn. But then again, maybe I should use 2. I dunno…it may be too addicting for me and my sister-in-law to split one bag!

5. CTY

Way to GO Jillee 2 awesome posts– what a great day! No way I’m making this today– it is not something DH would eat & I can’t afford to eat the whole batch. I’ll save this for a family gathering (so I can take down as many people with me as possible). Just wondering do you think it has a good texture for making into popcorn balls. Roll it in sprinkles or crushed peppermints. Maybe a few drops of food coloring & wrapped in saran (or even colored saran) and hang on the Christmas tree. Would be great for a kids holiday party.

6. jade

This stuff is sooooooo darn delicious! We make it way to often! ;) I also use less butter and more marshmallows … once it melted together I also add vanilla … ridiculous delicious! Once it’s nixed I form it into balls just to make it a bit easier to grab and eat! And no, you can never eat hist one! ;) so yummy! Our movie night favorite! :)

7. irene

Tried to make this tonight, it sounded so good when I saw the post a few days ago. However, I attempted to make a 1/2 batch, somehow managed to not get the quantities right and ended up with too much brown sugar I’m guessing, as it came out more like Cracker jack popcorn. Not a bad mistake, but I’ll try again next week end!

8. Niina

Could you tell me how much in grams (g) is one butter stick? Because I don’t really know what a butter stick is (I’m not from the US) and I don’t think it’s 500 g like the butter packages here.
    And I don’t have a single idea what oz means (“16 oz bag of marshmallows”).

1. Beatrice

Hey Niina,
      A butter stick is 120 grams. A package in North America contains four sticks and all four weigh one pound or 454 grams. So you need about one quarter of your packages. Oz stands for ounces and I think it is 32 grams. You can google weight measurement units and then get the equivalent for marshmallows in grams…. Depending where you are you may have marshmallows available or not. I grew up in Europe and had no clue what they were until I moved to Canada. If you cannot ind them in a stream google homemade marshmallows, I think they are pretty easy, sugar and gelatin mostly. Good luck.

9. Carrie @ LPOHH

I totally made this last night! It was super good and not nearly as sticky as I thought it might be. I made a 1/2 batch, but cut back even further on the topping. I air popped the corn (5 T unpopped) and used 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 bag of marshmallows and 1/3 c dark brown sugar. The corn wasn’t 100% covered, but that was fine with us. This is definitely going to be a repeat at our house. Thanks for sharing!

10. Kim

Do you think 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels are the equivalent of 1 bag of popcorn? I don’t buy the bagged microwave popcorn. I just think it’s cheaper and safer than the bagged stuff.

11. peekay

Hi from New Zealand where we also don’t have sticks of butter. Our butter comes in a 500gm block wrapped in greaseproof paper. Margarine comes in tubs.

12. Landon

Jillee, Jillee, Jillee. How bad is it that I’ve made this twice this weekend? lol My only saving grace is that both times were small single serve batches. Last night I used a bag of microwave popcorn. Tonight I used the hot air popper. It may be a good thing that I’m now out of marshmallows!

13. Anne

I just made a 1/3 batch and OH MY this is sooooooo good! I had hoped to share it with my husband when he returns from a business trip tomorrow, but I don’t think it will make it!

14. Liz

Hi,

I’m having to take snacks for both of my daughter’s Christmas parties at school tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had added food coloring to this recipe? I’m wanting festive, yet bulk since there’s 2 parties to make for. Recommendations seriously needed! Thanks!

15. angela

question.. i’ve not read yet in any of the comments….so sorry if this is a repeat question…i was wondering could you use marshmellow creme and not use the butter?? i’m out of butter :( but have the rest of ingredients and marshmellow creme??…thanks

16. Naomi

I saw this post from pinterest… my daughter was sitting next to me while we were flipping through pictures and yelled “Marshmallow popcorn!!”. We are going to have to give this a try!

17. homeschoolfarmmama

I made this today. A 1/2 recipe marshmallow goo was too much for our 1/2 cup popped corn (using the pop in glass bowl method). SO, I added rolled oats to the left-over goo, spread in a 9×13, and chilled for a granola bar like treat. It tastes better than the name brand cereal breakfast bars!

18. Cookieca

Wow!!! So going to have to try this,
    I’m just trying not to drool after looking
    The pictures :D ( p.s. if you have paper
    Lunch bags, you can just pop the popcorn
    Inside like a store bought brand! )
    <3 ~ Cookieca

19. Heidi

YUM!! I just made this. 1st attempt was an utter failure. I did the microwave method and I think it failed for two reasons – my bowl was too small & I put the marshmallows in last. Started a second time making the coating and did the stove top as I have a nice big pan. MUUUUUUCH better! Great dessert for our GNO Picnic and Concert in the Park!