Make Your Own Homemade “Uncrustables”

homemade uncrustables

Several months ago someone asked me if I had an idea for a homemade version of “Uncrustables” sandwiches. For those of you unfamiliar with Uncrustables…they are basically crustless sandwiches that are crimped around the edges to seal the filling inside. The most popular variety being peanut butter and jelly.

I remember thinking at the time that was a really good idea and actually made several attempts to make some..but for the life of me couldn’t figure out how! So I shelved the idea for future consideration.

Today I took the idea down off the shelf and gave it another shot! Thanks to the inspiration from Cute Food For Kids! After reading Tiffany’s blog post about Pocket Sandwiches I realized the important piece of equipment I’d been missing…..a plastic cutting board! DUH! :-)

I couldn’t wait to give it a try!

How To Make Homemade “Uncrustables”:

homemade uncrustables

homemade uncrustables

Trim off the crusts (thus the term “crustless”).

homemade uncrustables

Add a glob (yes, that’s a technical term) of peanut butter to one crustless slice, and a glob of jam or jelly to the other slice.

homemade uncrustables

Spread the PB&J on the bread, but not all the way to edge.

homemade uncrustables

homemade uncrustables

Crazy simple huh!?! And I don’t know why…but these little gems were SO TASTY! There’s just something about food with a “filling” I guess. I had eaten two sandwiches before I knew it. Which isn’t necessarily a good thing…except to illustrate how tasty they were. ;-)

homemade uncrustables

I really was quite astonished at how easy this idea turned out to be. When I first was trying to figure out how to make one of these I was completely over-thinking the whole thing!

Sometimes the BEST ideas really ARE the SIMPLEST! :-)

Make Your Own Homemade “Uncrustables”

Make Your Own Homemade “Uncrustables”

Ingredients

• 2 slices soft bread
  • Peanut butter
  • Jelly

Instructions

1. First you will need two slices of SOFT bread. It can been wheat or white, or whatever kind you fancy, but it needs to be fairly soft in order to stick together. (If yours is a little dry, try sticking it in the microwave for a few seconds.)
  2. Trim off the crusts (thus the term "crustless").
  3. Add a glob (yes, that's a technical term) of peanut butter to one crustless slice, and a glob of jam or jelly to the other slice.
  4. Spread the PB&J on the bread, but not all the way to edge.
  5. Place the two crustless slices together and then grab a small plastic cutting board (or something similar) and press each edge of the sandwich together. Trim any excess bread.

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest2,654Google+4

Comments

1. Krebs says

Love your posts Jillee! And you are soooo close on this one. I used to work at an uncrustables plant. The bread really is just crimped together so great job on that. Also they start off with huge pieces of bread (think Texas toast). But the key difference is that there is pb on both bread slices with jelly/jam between. This way you don’t have one side get the dreaded jelly leakage through the bread. They really are so simple. Keep up the amazing posts!

• melissa says

I have an acrylic drinking glass that measures 3.5″ in diameter. I spread their favorite filling in the center only as well. Then I push down w/ my glass (like a cookie cutter) & it cuts out a perfect circle, seals the edges during the press down & perfectly trims off the crust!

How Neat!! I always made these by cutting the bread with a drinking glass. But this is really neat! And I am going to try the thing about 2 sides of PB instead of just 1 :-) Thank you, Krebs & Jillee!!

• Missy Stovall says

I used to do this also for my kids lunches. However, I used cookie cutters. They worked great. Plus each kid had their favorite shape :)

2. Ashley H. says

Great idea! Do you think these could be packaged up and frozen like the store bought uncrustables are?

• Lisa says

I don’t see why they couldn’t be…..I would just make sure you get as much air out of the bag so they don’t get frost on them. I am gonna try it out.

• Katy says

Yes! I generally see people lay them on a cookie sheet to flash freeze them for a few hours first, and then put them into sandwich baggies. I recommend the earlier trick, too, of putting the PB on both sides, and jam/jelly int he middle – the PB helps keep the jam from leaking out, and the bread getting jam-soggy when defrosted.

• Nanci says

Turn the leftover crusts into bread pudding! I’d just toss them into the freezer in a Ziplock bag, along with whatever bits of bread and rolls you’ve accumulated. When you have enough bread bits, it’s time to get baking!

• Mary S says

Grind them up to use for bread crumbs.No one at my house eats the end pieces of the loaf so I save them for making bread crumbs.

• CTY says

Save them up in the freezer & when there is enough make stuffing. That is what I do with the “heels” of the bread.

3. Rosemary Vilmann says

I just passed this idea along to my two granddaughters and was trying to think of something not so large to do the crimping and glanced over and saw my plastic weekly pill container and thought that might work. Now if I just had some squishy bread to try it out!

4. Michele says

I have actually done this for a couple of years now. I don’t know if they still have them, but Pampered Chef has a gadget that cuts & crimps your bread just like the store-bought ones. And YES, they can be frozen- I normally make a whole loaf’s worth at one time. There is a little bit more “waste” with the pampered chef one, but the ease of use makes it completely worth it to me!

• Judy Ann says

Michele – To avoid any waste of the bread – take the crusts and make bread crumbs! I do that and save in a freezer bag that I keep in the freezer for such things. I make my own bread crumbs for meat loaf etc- and I like using a mixture of types of bread that I have saved…I have even known to toast a hot dog bun and run it trough my Ninja blender to add to the bag. Saves throwing out any extras!

• Sabrina says

I have one of the Pampered chef ones too, but have not been very successful with it. Any advice?

Sabrina, I had the PC one too and hated it. It was like the spring on mine was really hard to push and the bread stuck to the smoosher thing. I returned mine. Glad to see I’m not the only one! I just use the rim of a plastic glass now. The key is to keep pressure on the edges for like 20 seconds. Works like a champ and no extra gadgets in my drawers!

• Janis says

I have been using my Pampered Chef sandwich crimper for years– without the spring! It kept getting stuck and wouldn’t release the sandwich so I unscrewed it and took the spring out (thought I would ask for a replacement screw and never got around to it.)

5. Stephanie in Brookville IN says

I will mix the pb and j then spread on bread, put slices together and cut crust off with pizza cutter. You can pinch the sides together. I would like to try freezing but worried about them defrosting into a soggy mess. This would certainly save a little time making lunches.

i’ve got to say that the strangest thing i’ve ever seen in the supermarket freezers in the states is these sandwiches. that was at least 10 years ago and i’ve never forgotten them! maybe that’s cos i was brought up eating rye bread WITH the crusts on! haha

7. Judy Ann says

You did it again! Great idea! I wonder if I could make the peanutbutter and banana like that..My absolute favorite snack sandwich!

Did anyone find out yet if the Clay products were won? I never saw an email showing that give-away was over… I would loved to have won that!