Got Vinegar? You Have A Cheap and Easy Weed Killer!

killing weeds with vinegar

Got Weeds? Who DOESN’T this time of year!?!? I am growing an especially fine crop of them in the cracks of my backyard patio! So I decided it was time to take action and bring out my big bottle of HERBICIDE! (Better known as the jug of vinegar under my sink!!) Yep…that cheap, undiluted, store-brand white vinegar that you buy at the grocery store for less than $3 a gallon is a POWERFUL all-natural herbicide. (So be careful not to accidentally splash it on plants you want to keep around!)

All you need to do to use this powerful herbicide is grab a spray bottle, fill it with vinegar and take aim!

killing weeds with vinegar

I actually read on a couple of different websites that if you add a teaspoon of dish soap it helps the solution to “cling” to the foliage better, so I decided to add that too. THEN I went outside and took aim at all the nasty weeds that were invading my backyard paradise. :-)

Take a look at this bugger! I really DESPISE dandelions!

killing weeds with vinegar

This was Mr. Dandelion first thing this morning.  NOTE:  vinegar works best when the evil weeds are nice and dry and the sun is out. Make your application on a warm, sunny, calm (not windy) day. Don’t use on a cool, cloudy or wet day.

killing weeds with vinegar

And this was Mr. Dandelion after a nice blast of my “special” weed terminator…and several hours in the sun.    muwahahahahahahahaha!  (my best attempt at typing out my “evil laugh”)

Need MORE proof?  Here are some more victims of my early morning killing spree.

killing weeds with vinegar

BEFORE

killing weeds with vinegar

AFTER

Those are some DEAD weeds! Just the way I like them.

If you’re like me and like to know WHY something works…here’s a little gardening lesson: The acetic acid in the vinegar does two things: it burns the weed on contact and it lowers the pH of the soil (at least temporarily), making it hard for the weed to make a comeback. Double-whammy!

The benefits I think are self-explanatory…but just for fun…I’ll spell a few of them out for you.

• It’s cheap.
  • It’s non-toxic.
  • It’s fast-acting.
  • It’s easy-to-use.

To be honest, by the end of my “weed-killing spree” I was just pouring it straight out of the bottle onto the weeds in the patio cracks. I probably wouldn’t recommend that if you were pouring near plants that you didn’t WANT dead….but for sidewalk cracks, it worked just dandy!

And just so you know….SOME weeds are more persistent than others, and may need to be treated more than once, but so far a one-time application has been all I’ve needed to get rid of even the most NOXIOUS weeds! (Yeah…I’m talkin to YOU Mr. Dandelion!)

I leave you today with a couple more beauty shots of my deader-than-dead weeds. They truly are exquisite aren’t they? :-)

killing weeds with vinegar

killing weeds with vinegar

Share on Facebook871Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest14,097Google+15

Comments

1. LouAnn Masters says

Got me a brand new bottle of vinegar and some weeds that are going to meet their death. I get so tired of having to retreat weeds after using products that say “weeds are gone for up to four months or up to a full year.” Can we say sometimes NOT at all! Expensive name-brand products too.

Thanks for all your hints Jillee. I forward them on to family and friends. :)

2. Lyn says

Wonder if it would work for the grass around my chain link fence line … Might have to use more than just a spray … I usually just let the grow there cause I refuse to use a “weed killer” that’s chemical laden cause my dogs tend to “munch” the grass there.. (at the moment the grass is like a foot high all along at the fence line lol)..and it (the fence) wrecks my weed wacker so I just have always left the grass (even though i hate it there lol)… Will have to try this out and see ..

Brilliant stuff! I can attest to the ‘use it on a sunny day’ advice. I know from experience that cloudy days are not effective.

4. Sara says

I’ve tried last spring and a couple of times during summer, but it didn’t work. I suppose Australian weeds are tougher :(

5. Diane says

Thanks for the idea! We built a couple raised beds to grow veggies, & they stand right on the lawn. A nurseryman friend want us to kill the grass first w/a popular herbicide, but I didn’t want to use it under where my veggies will grow, even w/landscape cloth under the planter dirt. (We’re mostly chemical-free on our property anyway.) Now I’ll dose it w/vinegar, & maybe some boiling water, too. Btw, I usually just pour boiling water right out of the kettle onto my weeds-in-cracks. It also works beautifully.

6. Beckie says

I used a mixture of vinegar, dish soap & salt that i found on pinterest last summer, and it worked very well. I used a big yard sprayer instead of a spray bottle because dandelions had taken over my yard. Just be careful to only spray the weed. My yard was covered in dead patches because I was a bit too aggressive with the sprayer. LOL

7. Beckie says

Oh! And be careful not to get it on your skin. I got a few drops on my finger without realizing it, and it burned my skin for awhile.

8. Stacey says

I’ve heard that this works. Here’s a problem though. What if your property looks like you planted fields of dandelions like mine? Does anyone know of an application or method that works for literally hundreds of dandelions? We have a major invasion of them.

9. Chris in FL says

If you don’t have dish soap, laundry soap works too, not the homemade but the store bought type.

I use to work for Department of Environmental Protection for the State of Florida and I was the Accountant who paid the State Lands contracts. We have a lot of invasive plants here in Florida and therefore we have to employee private businesses to destroy them. One of the companies we contracted with turned out to be a young man that I grew up with and he gave me a big jug of the stuff they use. He told me to mix laundry detergent in with it to help it stick to the plants. I’ve never used the stuff he gave me as I’m afraid of what might be in it, but I do use vinegar with laundry detergent. I do however use more than a teaspoon when I mix it up. I probably use about a laundry cap full and mix it in with no more than a half gallon of vinegar.

I have a chain link fence in my back yard and have weed vines that grow on it and therefore I need my mixture to be a little thicker so as to not just drip off on to the ground and I probably use more laundry soap than would be needed for weeds that are on the ground. But this does work and I don’t have to worry about it being a danger to my dogs.

10. Sherlene says

Dandelions is good meds – i too use vinegar and it does work and much cheaper than store bought weed killer & safe around children & pets. thanks