Got Vinegar? You Have A Cheap and Easy Weed Killer!

killing weeds with vinegar

Got Weeds? Who DOESN’T this time of year!?!? I am growing an especially fine crop of them in the cracks of my backyard patio! So I decided it was time to take action and bring out my big bottle of HERBICIDE! (Better known as the jug of vinegar under my sink!!) Yep…that cheap, undiluted, store-brand white vinegar that you buy at the grocery store for less than $3 a gallon is a POWERFUL all-natural herbicide. (So be careful not to accidentally splash it on plants you want to keep around!)

All you need to do to use this powerful herbicide is grab a spray bottle, fill it with vinegar and take aim!

killing weeds with vinegar

I actually read on a couple of different websites that if you add a teaspoon of dish soap it helps the solution to “cling” to the foliage better, so I decided to add that too. THEN I went outside and took aim at all the nasty weeds that were invading my backyard paradise. :-)

Take a look at this bugger! I really DESPISE dandelions!

killing weeds with vinegar

This was Mr. Dandelion first thing this morning.  NOTE:  vinegar works best when the evil weeds are nice and dry and the sun is out. Make your application on a warm, sunny, calm (not windy) day. Don’t use on a cool, cloudy or wet day.

killing weeds with vinegar

And this was Mr. Dandelion after a nice blast of my “special” weed terminator…and several hours in the sun.    muwahahahahahahahaha!  (my best attempt at typing out my “evil laugh”)

Need MORE proof?  Here are some more victims of my early morning killing spree.

killing weeds with vinegar

BEFORE

killing weeds with vinegar

AFTER

Those are some DEAD weeds! Just the way I like them.

If you’re like me and like to know WHY something works…here’s a little gardening lesson: The acetic acid in the vinegar does two things: it burns the weed on contact and it lowers the pH of the soil (at least temporarily), making it hard for the weed to make a comeback. Double-whammy!

The benefits I think are self-explanatory…but just for fun…I’ll spell a few of them out for you.

• It’s cheap.
  • It’s non-toxic.
  • It’s fast-acting.
  • It’s easy-to-use.

To be honest, by the end of my “weed-killing spree” I was just pouring it straight out of the bottle onto the weeds in the patio cracks. I probably wouldn’t recommend that if you were pouring near plants that you didn’t WANT dead….but for sidewalk cracks, it worked just dandy!

And just so you know….SOME weeds are more persistent than others, and may need to be treated more than once, but so far a one-time application has been all I’ve needed to get rid of even the most NOXIOUS weeds! (Yeah…I’m talkin to YOU Mr. Dandelion!)

I leave you today with a couple more beauty shots of my deader-than-dead weeds. They truly are exquisite aren’t they? :-)

killing weeds with vinegar

killing weeds with vinegar

Facebook869Twitter19Pinterest14003Google+15

Comments

1. LouAnn Masters says

Got me a brand new bottle of vinegar and some weeds that are going to meet their death. I get so tired of having to retreat weeds after using products that say “weeds are gone for up to four months or up to a full year.” Can we say sometimes NOT at all! Expensive name-brand products too.

Thanks for all your hints Jillee. I forward them on to family and friends. :)

2. Lyn says

Wonder if it would work for the grass around my chain link fence line … Might have to use more than just a spray … I usually just let the grow there cause I refuse to use a “weed killer” that’s chemical laden cause my dogs tend to “munch” the grass there.. (at the moment the grass is like a foot high all along at the fence line lol)..and it (the fence) wrecks my weed wacker so I just have always left the grass (even though i hate it there lol)… Will have to try this out and see ..

• Marla says

Lyn, it should work on the grass too. My husband found out about what a great weed and grass killer vinegar is when he poured a bucket of it out in our back yard. There was a huge brown spot there for a very long time. It has since come back, but it took a while.

• Davi says

It works well with the grass, I used it around where the goats are. Can’t have chemicals around goats! Killed the grass quickly and worked well. I was pleased, and it won’t hurt the critters!

• shawna says

I used a version of vinegar+Dawn+salt all along my fenceline and was very happy with the results. You definitely need to have an adjustable sprayer to narrow the application area, but the results lasted at least 6 months for me. I live in NC and have a creeping type grass overseeded with Kentucky Bluegrass.

• sage_brush says

Sara – try plain old boiling water! I don’t live in Australia, but I do live in the woods. Keeping nature somewhat subdued requires constant attention here. The benefit of pouring boiling water is that it is absolutely free, and does the job in any weather or sun conditions. It also kills any hiding pests or larvae that are under the weeds or grass you want to kill. I use a large stainless kettle, which gives great “pouring control.”

• Sara says

Hey Sage, thanks for the tip! I’ll certainly try that after the vinegar epic fail. I’ll wait until spring though…now weeds can go free and enjoy their last months of life :)

• lisa says

I use boiling water as well. I use it in the spring between the cracks in my driveway and sidewalk and often only have to use it once during the summer for no weeds in those spots. I walk around and spot treat weeds in my front garden bed which is well mulched, but has a few sprouters. Perfectly natural.

3. Diane says

Thanks for the idea! We built a couple raised beds to grow veggies, & they stand right on the lawn. A nurseryman friend want us to kill the grass first w/a popular herbicide, but I didn’t want to use it under where my veggies will grow, even w/landscape cloth under the planter dirt. (We’re mostly chemical-free on our property anyway.) Now I’ll dose it w/vinegar, & maybe some boiling water, too. Btw, I usually just pour boiling water right out of the kettle onto my weeds-in-cracks. It also works beautifully.

4. Beckie says

I used a mixture of vinegar, dish soap & salt that i found on pinterest last summer, and it worked very well. I used a big yard sprayer instead of a spray bottle because dandelions had taken over my yard. Just be careful to only spray the weed. My yard was covered in dead patches because I was a bit too aggressive with the sprayer. LOL

5. Stacey says

I’ve heard that this works. Here’s a problem though. What if your property looks like you planted fields of dandelions like mine? Does anyone know of an application or method that works for literally hundreds of dandelions? We have a major invasion of them.

• Teri S says

Stacey, I have been taking an area per day and going after these pretty yellow “flowers”!!! We too have hundreds!!! Where on earth did they all come from???? Anyway, I have been on my knees, plucking out the dandelion, then spraying a little vinegar down in the hole. This way, I am (hopefully…) assured it will kill the root that inevitably gets left behind to spring up yet another pretty “flower”. Why am I plucking them out first? WELL, if left behind, that little flower turns into dozens and DOZENS of seeds for them to propagate! I’d rather do a little extra work now in hopes of reducing the next generation! Good luck!

• silverdust says

We used to have neighbors who were OBSESSED with their lawn. Granted, it looked better than a golf course, but they were constantly working at it. Not only would the lady of the house totally remove the offending dandelion with a small garden trowel, she would then BURN the patch of grass immediately surround the hole. I don’t know what she used to burn the grass with, though.

6. Chris in FL says

If you don’t have dish soap, laundry soap works too, not the homemade but the store bought type.

I use to work for Department of Environmental Protection for the State of Florida and I was the Accountant who paid the State Lands contracts. We have a lot of invasive plants here in Florida and therefore we have to employee private businesses to destroy them. One of the companies we contracted with turned out to be a young man that I grew up with and he gave me a big jug of the stuff they use. He told me to mix laundry detergent in with it to help it stick to the plants. I’ve never used the stuff he gave me as I’m afraid of what might be in it, but I do use vinegar with laundry detergent. I do however use more than a teaspoon when I mix it up. I probably use about a laundry cap full and mix it in with no more than a half gallon of vinegar.

I have a chain link fence in my back yard and have weed vines that grow on it and therefore I need my mixture to be a little thicker so as to not just drip off on to the ground and I probably use more laundry soap than would be needed for weeds that are on the ground. But this does work and I don’t have to worry about it being a danger to my dogs.

I found this out by mistake last year when I used a mixture of vinegar and water to clean out our large compost bin – on the middle of our back lawn! Hubby wasn’t too impressed with the rather large dead patch of grass the next day. Oops!

8. Mandi says

Been loving your site, and trying many of your amazing hints.

I plan on using this for my pickers in my yard. It’s full of them. DH says it’s a perk of living on old farm land. I think it’s just a perk of living.

Here nor there, we too, have a field of dandelions and I’m certain that if there is anyone that can point out uses for them, besides being a mommy’s bouquet, it would be you. I’ve heard of eating, or even making a wine, but I think I’ll leave the testing to a professional.

Thanks again for all you do on your site. Right now I am finishing up whitening my socks and unmentionables with your whitening formula.

• Mary S says

If you don’t use chemicals on your lawn then the leaves and heads of dandelions make a delicious salad mix(add to other greens) and have loads of natural vitamins in them.The younger the plant,the better it tastes.They can be blanched and frozen and then added to casseroles just like spinach.Kudzu leaves are also edible.

• Red Dirt Cabin says

Mandi, when you say “pickers” do you mean goathead stickers? Because if you or Jillee or heck anybody else might have any hints how to get rid of those bad boys without using chemicals I’m all ears. I have tried the vinegar, epsom salt, dawn detergent mix and they just laughed at me and multiplied. Also, if anybody has any idea on how to kill poison ivy, I’m open for suggestions too.

• JJ says

I just mixed up a batch of 1/2 gallon vinegar, 1 cup of epsom salts, and 1/8th cup of Dawn dish soap. I made a small test batch the other night and now the weeds in the crack between my front railing and parking spot are now dead.
        This morning I noticed tons of poison ivy in the back yard along my property line. On the opposite side of the back yard property line are woods…poison ivy all along there. On the east side of my property in the back yard there is poison ivy almost the whole length. Figured tomorrow I will go out and spray this mixture anywhere there is poison ivy. I’m sure this will work.

9. Danalee Pipes says

I attacked a plot of posion ivy with agricultural grade vinegar-stronger solution of acetic acid. It burnt the leaves but did not kill it. It was very expensive but I was trying to find an organic weed killer. I think your method is practical for small area like the cracks in the concrete but I wouldn’t recommend it for larger projects.

10. Linda F says

I’ve seen this before, but am glad for the reminder to TRY IT! Ha ha… funny how often my best intentions get shoved aside. I saw really big bottle of vinegar at Costco for ~ $3.00. Could be very economical – if it works!

Hey y’all!!

This is Tracey from over at Two Southern Sweeties.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used this in a vegetable garden on weeds? This is the first year in our home here and apparently we have some hardy weeds where we tilled the yard for the garden.

Also, if you use it to kill a bigger area of weeds and grass, do y’all know how long before you can plant something in that area?

Thanks for the great post Jillee!!! We love ya sugah!!

• CTY says

Two Southern Sweeties–keep in mind this is an herbicide–meaning it will kill all plant life it comes in contact with. Also if soil is sprayed it could take a while for the effect to reverse.

12. rachel says

I have some terrible patio weeds and have been fighting them for some time. My most successful attempts to reduce have been with salt and vinegar on hot days. I do recommend using up your leftover salt from the winter on patios or areas that you know you won’t be planting! Vinegar and salt mixed together seem to be the best option. Boiling water is also a good one for spot treatments.

My mother taught me to use salt when you pull up a weed and can’t get the whole root. A small amount will ensure that the root doesn’t re-grow.

• Caherine's Not Naturally Crafty says

Salt and vinegar will work but do NOT use it anywhere you want something else to grow. It’s good only for areas you want NOTHING to grow. The Bible talks about sowing salt on the land of Israel’s enemies for a reason. NOTHING will grow there for a very very long time and it takes lots and lots of water to leach out the salt. That said, the vinegar or salt and vinegar combo will have improved efficacy if you add a few drops of dish soap to at as a surfactant/clinging agent. It helps the acid get a hold of the plant and be taken in through the leaves.

Folks the “Rodeo-up” weed killer is not the evil that everyone makes it out to be. It’s chief benefit is that, once it hits the soil or is taken into the plant it is naturally neutralized by the soil or plant. You don’t want to eat plants that have been sprayed but, it does not linger or contaminate the soil. It works by keeping a plant enzyme from working so the plant dies. It’s a chemical analong of a natural amino acid that gets in the way of a plant’s amino acid creation necessary for growth. Only plants have and use/make this amino acid so it has no effect on animals since, they don’t have and can’t make the amino acid. We get our amino acid from the plants and animals in our diet.

Rodeo-up uses a surfactant (remember we talked about that earlier) that helps the actual weed killer stick to the plant which can be toxic. So, as with any chemical (salt and vinegar included) it can be toxic but, you’d have to do a lot of very stupid things with a large quantity to have any significant adverse effects. Folks we are talking a Rodeo-Up shot of about 85 ml.

Now, vinegar IS substantially cheaper and easily available. If you are judicious about the detergent you use as a surfactant it’s also less toxic. Just keep in mind we are talking about less and more as relative terms, not absolutes.

Whatever you use, wear protective clothes, don’t apply on windy days, avoid over-spray and use only as much as you need to do the job. A lot is NOT better than enough.

13. Amy says

I have been using a mix of vinegar, Dawn and Epsom salts. Works beautifully. If all the leaves are not sprayed, they may still have a bit of life clinging to them. Spray generously!

14. C Thomas says

I love this combo……….. it really works, I use it around our cement statues business in the landscaping areas…..fantastic……..vinegar salt dish detergent…….spray low………..

15. Sharon H says

I was wondering the same thing as those Two Southern Sweeties…..
    every year it is the same old problem in our raised beds and we end up using a sharp shooter (spade) to remove the “weed turf” that has returned. That’s not only back-breaking, but very disheartening!

How soon after this ‘treatment’ can I expect my veggie plants/seeds to thrive?

• Davi says

I used this with salt, and was able to plant within the next few days and my plants are doing great. I think it all depends on how saturated you make the ground. After the weeds die, you could also take a hose and rinse it all away.

You might look into the “Lasagna Gardening” book/s by Patricia Lanza for your raised beds. You can easily do it before winter sets in or in early spring. Anytime before you plant. You need to collect the raw materials though. It will eliminate your weeds. It involves alternating layers of green and brown (like grass clippings and chopped leaves, peat, compost, straw). It really worked. I made a bed on top of a section of the grass in our yard and nothing came through the bed at all. No grass or weeds.

Oh, Jillee!! You’re killin’ ME! LOL Don’t ya know you can EAT dandelions?! The whole thing, from flower to root, is edible! (Until it goes to seed – don’t eat the white fluff. Make a wish and grow more! LOL) Dandelion greens have more nutrients than spinach (and can be cooked just like it or chopped and added to other raw salad greens). The petals have kind of a honey taste to them. The root is good for digestion…Don’t KILL ‘em, GRILL ‘em! LOL Just make sure you’re not eating ones that have been sprayed with commercial weed killers, etc. (Those will kill YOU! UGhhh)
    Any OTHER weeds can be knocked out with vinegar, though :-D Thanks for sharing!

I find it so crazy that people spend so much time and money trying to kill what is THE most beneficial free-growing urban-tough plant ever! Thanks for pointing this out for us all. I actually have a hard time getting them to grow in my own yard, I think because it’s so overrun with OTHER types of commonweeds. Hey, at least our “yard” is green, even if it’s not the same kind of green society deems acceptable. We just let everything grow as it wants, but for some reason even HAND PLANTING dandelion fluff myself isn’t working. What the hell… I really want to make my own dandelion tea, coffee, salad, and syrup. I’m about to try growing some in a pot in my kitchen!

• Carol Arnold says

Thanks for pointing this out Mindy! I was scanning down to see if anyone else had to gasp out loud seeing Jillee killing those innocent dandelions! (sorry Jillie! This is not an irate post! Really! I still love you and your fantastic blog!)

Here’s a link to a great healing salve using dandelions: http://thenerdyfarmwife.com/dandelion-salve-recipe/

And how about some jelly for Jillee?!!! http://wine-y-wife.com/how-can-i-eat-that/

Keep up the good work Jillee! Love your site and plan to use this recipe, just NOT on my dandelions!

17. Linda says

I have been using the mixture of apple cider vinegar, salt & Dawn (1/2 gal, 1/2 cup, & 1/4 cup in this order) and have had really good luck with it. Even on a lot of the wild blackberry vines that have infested my So Georgia lawn! They pop up everywhere and are extremely difficult to get rid of. I was reluctant to use commercial sprays because of my 2 dogs who love to munch on weeds. This works for me!

18. Catherine says

Aah! I was just in my backyard patio yesterday staring at the weeds in the cracks and wondering if vinegar would knock them out. Jillee, it never fails that when I have inkling about something you literally blog about the next day! (Seriously, this happened yesterday with the deodorant alternatives!) Thanks for always having excellent suggestions (and for always reading my mind)!

19. Jeanne says

Thanks, Jillee!
    I just wanted to add that BAKING SODA (get the big box) will also work. So will plain table salt. I think the thing that they all have in common is the SODIUM. Plants don’t like it and they will all kill weeds. When I was young, my dad told me to take our box of salt and sprinkle it on the driveway weeds. It worked! However, I have to confess, there is nothing more satisfying to me than getting a weed up by its roots and throwing it away! You would be surprised how little time it takes if you just pull a couple whenever you are outside! Pretty soon, they are all gone!

20. Tsandi Crew says

I think this is a great idea for weeds growing in cracks and places where you don’t want other plants to grow. However, I would never use it in a garden because vinegar doesn’t 1. distinguish between the weed and plants you want to grow, 2. distinguish between the bacteria and fungi we need in our soil to make our soil healthy. And of course, weed killer is what Montanto puts into our food, as well as insecticides, so I wouldn’t use those either. They both kill the soil.

But for those sidewalk cracks and similar places, this is wonderful.

21. Carrol says

Once you’ve used the vinegar to kill your weeds, remove the dead stuff & apply a coat of baking soda. It works really well in the cracks for keeping weeds away. It changes the ph of the soil. A cheap way to keep an area free of all growth.

22. Ahnica says

Anyone know how effective this is on Bermuda grass? that stuff is hardy and taking over my garden beds and my nice fescue grass.Bermuda grass killer is so expensive, full of chemicals, and doesn’t cover much area.jillee, thanks for the tip.I’ve used vinegar before but didn’t add dish soap.this will really help.

I’ve got to speak out for the dandelion. We have a 90+ year old tortoise named Paddie and his favorite delicacy is the yellow flower of the dandelion. Needless-to-say he keeps the dandelion population quite depleted at our house and at all our neighbors. No we don’t let him cruise the neighborhood, we do it for him. : ) During dandelion season our neighbors welcome our dandelion picking sessions in their yards. Sometimes they will even stop by, giving us a few dandelions that we either missed or popped up since our last visit. The children are especially excited to come to the door with a little drooping dandelion bouquet for Paddie as we let them come in so they can take them to Paddie themselves in the backyard. They love watching him munch down on his favorite treat. Over time they all have learned quite a bit about tortoises vs turtles and we have even taken Paddie to Show and Tell at schools for them. A few times he has managed to escape and has cruised the neighborhood. It’s been amazing though! between flyers and people knowing about him, we’ve always gotten him back. The longest he was gone was over two weeks and he was found over a mile-and-a-half away by some very nice people who saw one of flyers. They had him in their bathtub when we got there…guess they didn’t know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle…lol!
    Other than above reason to save a few dandelions for a tortoise, I say down with the buggers too! Hate those weeds and we will be trying out the vinegar soon. We use it for all of Jill’s other recommendations so why not weeds. Plus we’ve been concerned for our little 5 lb toy poodle being around any toxic matter.
    Thank you, Jill! You’re the greatest!

• Caherine's Not Naturally Crafty says

I’d be delighted to see a tortoise cruising on my lawn happily munching my weeds. If the HOA would left me, I’d bring in sheep and goats to keep the yard up too. Graze away buddies!

• Laura Dee says

Ha, no doubt. The HOA is getting in the way of my plan to get fresh eggs after finding out about the chemically made ones that are labelled “Natural” “Organic” Cage Free, and all the other Bird Feathers the Gov’t can put on labels that may as well say “Eat This at your own risk” .. I knew Dandelion parts had health benefits, but never thought of plucking one and gnawing on it, lol .. Also, if you have seasonal allergies to certain grasses, or golden rod, careful with with dandelion and many other herbal remedies – they can trigger a debilitating allergy attack. Otherwise, yes, go for it. Dandelion has lots of healing properties. I’m armed with vinegar, no more weed wrestling for me ;) Thanks for the great tips.

24. cindy says

Now I know what did the damage to my rose bush. I used a homemeade window washing solution/recipe with vinegar very near to the rose bush. It must have got some overspray!

25. Angi says

I tried a “recipe” with Vinegar, Salt and Dishwashing soap. I made the huge mistake of spraying it on the not so dandylions in my lawn. The weeks are gone, but the grass is now brown. Luckily i tried the back yard first!!!

26. Laurie says

Love all of your ideas Jillee, but I worry a bit about this one. Not that it’s as noxious as chemicals, but I’ve heard a theory that part of the honey bee dying problems is because we homeowners are taking away the first flowers of the year that they eat simply because we want an all green yard. And dandelions are actually a very healthy green to eat for us humans. And they make an awesome wine ;)
    Just my 2 cents worth.

• Teri S says

The REAL reason for the bee die-off is chemicals. Chemicals have been found in the dead bees and their hives. NOT NORMAL!!! We’re allowing Monsanto (with their genetically modified fake food) and Roundup to kill us while they promise higher yields!!! We are SO gullible and it’s taking us right to the grave!

Killing dandelions isn’t THE problem for honeybees. However, replacing every square inch of ground with trees, lawns, crops, or concrete IS the problem. Today’s landscape suffers from a lack of wildflower diversity. If you want to help beneficial pollinators, devote a portion of your property to wildflowers. Black-eyed susans, lily’s, coneflowers, and native clovers are all easy to grow.

27. Kim says

Do you have a concoction that can be used on weeds all over the yard? My husband is about to put out a store bought weed killer and I don’t like the idea of my dogs walking and laying in that stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated. Love your website and can’t wait for the book.

• FED UP says

Good question Kim, I’d like to know that too
      I have quite a large property and dont relish the idea of hand pulling every weed I see.
      Our area is so rural that seeds just fly in from all over and
      grow wherever they darn well please :P

28. FED UP says

I have a ‘retired’ farmer who built a home next to ours.
    He still goes down the road every day to his farm that his sons’ now run…..

This is the problem-
    EVERY YEAR he takes it upon himself to spray ROUNDUP on every square inch of what HE deems NEEDING to be sprayed!
    He gets his jet pack on his back (NO LIE) at NIGHT and does his
    place my place, down the curbs on both sides of the road crosses back over and does my other neighbours place!!!

What to do to stop him?????-this stuff is illegal where I live.
    Not to mention it annoys the bjeezuz out of me-GRRR!

• Kay Davis says

Explain to him that you would rather not have commercial pestisides put out on your property. Then show him this solution. It might work better if you have the support of the other neighbor as well.
      Then start praying for him. If all else fails-tell him if he wants to put that poison on his property that is his business, but if he puts it on yours again then you are going to sue him.

• Sherylin says

Use a camera and a vidcam and record him doing it then put it on youtube THEN call the police if what he is doing is illegal. :)

Youtube has helped many people get the law to work “properly”.

I hope that helps :)

Sherylin :)

• Linda Barnhart says

Could you print out some of the reams of information available on the internet about how terribly harmful Roundup is? How it goes down into the water his grandchildren drink? Scary stuff. And you’re right, Teri S, gullible we are. If big corporations and/or the government tell us it’s not harmful to us, it must be true. Right?

I’ve been using plain vinegar on my sidewalk cracks, patio cracks for years, try to explain it to my Roundup neighbors, they just think anything they pay big money for must be better, I guess.

29. Lorrie Benson says

I have a frount deck and under it grows weeds like stringie green weeds i have no sun there till around 5 or so for about 3hrs then i have plants around the the deck if I were to pour the viniger with soap will it letch into the ground by my plants i have beside the deck?

30. Denise says

Others have already mentioned the value of dandelions as a food source, but what about their beauty? As we’d drive up to our house when my kids were little, they would exclaim how beautiful our yard was as compared to the neighbors. “Why do you think so I asked”, noticing all the yellow dandelion weeds sprinkled throughout the lawn. They replied, “because we have so many flowers”. Awww, I’ve had a hard time looking at dandelions the same ever since.

31. Anna says

This works beautifully! I was told to use Dawn as the dish-washing liquid because it will take the waxy outer coats that some leaves have as a protection – leaving them vulnerable to the vinegar! It works like magic.

32. Sue C says

Well, this sounds all good and dandy – but…. I for one cannot stand to look at dead weeds around the house. I pull them out by the roots. I can see these methods for weeds that are farther out where you do not have to look at dried up dead weeds….that’s just me :)

33. Jen Wright says

Um, you could have harvested the leaves for salad, the flowers for wine and the roots for coffee-also the flowers provide nectar for the early bees! There are also various beauty and cleansing products to be made from dandelions. In my experience the best way to get rid of a weed is to find a use for it, then it gets hard to grow! lol

• flerbiejean says

Cyndi,

I have used a combination of vinegar, salt, and liquid dish soap in a spray container. I read on the internet about it some time back and am HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy. (I can practically just walk past it and I seem to get it.)

34. Sherylin says

For me I think the BEST thing about this is that it is safe for kids and pets. Both of which touch, eat, sample, roll around in the weeds and dirt etc.

It is not a poison to us or our pets and for that reason alone I would use this.

Thanks a lot for the tip Jillee :)

Sherylin :)