Homemade Citrus Degreaser

citrus degreaser

A couple of months ago my ancient stove finally gave up the ghost after an unfortunate oven fire. Fortunately, there weren’t any casualties, but it did result in us having to make a fairly hasty purchase of a new range.

I actually really like my new stove…especially the cast iron grill built-in to the center of it. The only problem is that as handy as it is to be able to cook bacon (or the like) on it without having to pull out a pan….it can result in a greasy mess!

Yesterday afternoon my daughter Britta made BLT’s for lunch and kindly left THIS for me:

citrus degreaser

Thanks Britta! :-)

Since the mess was pure GREASE, I knew I would need a good grease-cutter to get it clean. There is no better ally in the fight against grease than citrus. It’s the limonene found in citrus peels that does such a great job at getting the grease. It cleans and disinfects, removes stains, and is an extremely effective degreaser. It has been used in cleaning products since the 1990s.

I have made homemade cleaners before using lemon juice, but I decided to stick with strictly Lemon essential oil this time. Then I added a few of my favorite homemade cleaning ingredients and came up with what I think is a WINNER!

citrus degreaser

Homemade Citrus Degreaser

Mix all of the ingredients together in a spray bottle. Spray mixture on greasy messes and wipe with a wet towel, then shine with a dry one.

I think the BEFORE and AFTER pictures speak for themselves. But what the images DON’T tell you is how GOOD it smells! :-)

citrus degreaser

citrus degreaser

citrus degreaser

citrus degreaser

I was super pleased with how this cleaner worked on the stove top. Later on the same day my husband used it to get a greasy spot out of the upholstery in his truck. I guess I should rename it the “Homemade Multi-Purpose Citrus Degreaser.”  :-)

citrus degreaser

Take 10% off any Spark Naturals essential oils order by using the coupon code: JILLEE

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter13Pin on Pinterest6,765Google+17

Comments

1. Jessica says

My aunt and grandmother both have this stove so I’ll be making them each a batch of this! I’m also jealous I’d love to have a stove like this :)

2. Lori Cahill says

I live overseas and unable to find Castile soap…what can I use for an alternative.

Thanks

3. Karen says

I just made this and it works well, and as long as you FOLLOW the directions and shine with a dry towel, you won’t end up with the white residue it will leave behind. It also smells great, and isn’t laden with chemicals so it doesn’t burn my nose to smell it, bonus! Thanks for the recipe!

4. Katie Mundt says

I don’t have any Castile soap on hand. Would also like to know of a possible alternative.

Do you think this would work on hubby’s greasy work clothes?? Thank you Jill!

5. Trina Christensen says

SO MANY DIFFERENT SCENTS OF THE WHITE SOAP. I AM GUESSING YOU USED THE LEMMON?

6. Trina Christensen says

I SAID LEMMON IN MY COMMENT ABOVE, I MEANT CITRUS FOR THE SCENT. I FIGURE THAT IS WHAT YOU USED?

7. Lisa says

Could you specify the type of soap used, ie, citrus, orange. There are so many choices on the Amazon website it is confusing.

8. Carol says

The picture shows orange citrus. Am guessing you could go with whatever citrus combo you like.

Sure wish I still had a gas range, but now living in all electric community. I did find, however, some years ago a fool proof way to get those burned on stains off the gray colored burners. Soak them overnight in a plastic zip lock bag with straight household ammonia. The burned on stuff just washes right off after that. The people who design appliances ought to have to clean and maintain them.

• Gwyn says

Barbara are you talking about the grey catch things under the heating element or the heating element it’s self? If element how do you protect the end that connects to the stove and how strong is the scent and how long does it last when you put everything back together?