Listerine & Vinegar Soak For Softer, Smoother Feet!

listerine soak

I have been hearing about this unlikely combination as a cure for dry, cracked heels and feet for a long time but thought it sounded utterly ridiculous. I battle with dry, cracked heels in the wintertime and have tried just about every remedy known to man or womankind, but Listerine and Vinegar? Come on.

Up until now I have had the most success with the cream I talk about in this post: “The Cure For Dry, Cracked Heels & Feet.” While this really works, it isn’t very easy to find and also fairly expensive. Since I had recently run out of my tube of Atrac-tain cream I decided I would give this wacky idea a try….because I’m a big believer in the notion that some of the wackiest ideas end up being the best! :-)

Since I’m actually doing a blog post about this….I bet you can guess how it turned out. Yep, you guessed it. It actually works! I was completely skeptical about this, but I’m tellin’ ya, after just 15 minutes my feet (and most importantly my heels) were much softer and smoother!

Here are a couple of terrible BEFORE and AFTER pictures as proof. (It’s hard to take pictures of your own heels! Try it!) For those of you grossed out by feet, my sincerest apologies.

listerine soak

listerine foot soak

While they’re not PERFECT….after just one 15 minute soak, they were markedly improved! I will definitely be doing this again.

Listerine & Vinegar Foot Soak

• 1 cup Listerine (or any antiseptic mouthwash)
  • 1 cup Vinegar (I used white, but you could use apple cider too)
  • 2 cups warm water

You can double, triple, quadruple the recipe as needed for your feet and container size.

Soak feet for 10-15 minutes then take a foot file or pumice stone to help slough off the softened dead skin. I was able to easily file off a good amount of the dry skin. I have a bit more to go, but I have no doubt another couple of soaks and it should be all gone.

If you are one of the unfortunate ones with dry, cracked winter feet…..like me….I would strongly suggest you give this a try! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised…like me.

listerine soak

What is your favorite remedy for dry, cracked heels and feet?

Share on Facebook2,792Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest4,429Google+14

Comments

1. Gwen in L.A. says

Just wondering…have you tried just soaking your feet for the same amount of time in plain water? Soapy water? Water with Vinegar only?

Thanks!

Try using Epsom salt in warm water, soak 15 to 20 minor longer if some one will warm it up with more hot water. Use a face towel and buff off the dead skin. Apply a good moisturizer/ lotion. Repeat if necessary.

Wear socks on carpets. Carpet fibers can leave real fine cuts/openings in your bare feet! (Fm the Diabetic Dr.). This has made a reL big difference in my feet and heels.

I am DYING to know why this works as it makes no sense. There’s a high percentage of alcohol in mouthwash which should be drying. Hmm… I’d love to know if the place you found this info explained how it works.

4. Jeanne says

Hi Jillee,
    Glad this worked for you! I have also read on “The People’s Pharmacy” website, that many people have had success with soaking their feet just in Listerine and water to get rid of toenail fungus! I guess it’s the anti microbial properties of it. I just thought I would add this since it’s a bonus effect!

Thanks for all your tips!

5. Roxanne says

Well, I tried it and it stung like crazy even after I stopped and dried my feet. The Listerine burns ! This tip didn’t work for me. Happy for those that it did!

6. Tracy says

I’ve seen this all over FB & although it may work to help soften feet I can’t for the life of me figure out why someone would want to soak their feet in all those chemicals. The feet are conduits to the whole body. They are porous & all those long-named chemicals just ooze right in. It’s one thing to do a quick mouth rinse but this? I’m sure it’s not too harmful if not done on a regular basis but I just wonder. For me, I think I’ll stick with the healthier Epsom salt soak, a good rub, slather on one of the “good oils” & cover with some cotton socks.

Have you tried Gold Bond Foot Cream? Works wonders!! I use it 2x a day especially after a soak and have little to no evidence of dry skin. Love the stuff !!!!

I totally agree with Tracy. The first thing I thought of when I saw the Title was, ‘I’d never want to soak my feet in all those chemicals.’ In tbose rare times that I rinse my mouth with an Antiseptic (or regular) mouthwash, I feel very uncomfortable doing so! I find that scrubbing with coffee grinds (or a homemade sugar scrub) works fine with me along with the occasional use of a pumice stone. We need to be careful wih what we allow to enter our bodies. Unfortunately, our Government allows a lot of chemicals, GMO’s in our food and the use of harmful dyes that most (if not all) of Europe bans. Since this is the case, we need to be extra savvy and not just go with the next trend without realizing what harm we may be doing to ourselves or our environment. Oh, BTW, I’m a Registered Dental Hygienist for over 30 years so I’m well aware of what’s in Listerine and similar products!