13 Natural Ways To Keep Your House Smelling Fresh

natural room fresheners

A few weeks ago I bought a new essential oils diffuser that I have been using almost every day since! I absolutely love it. It’s so easy to fill and it goes all day long. Since I’ve been using it so much I have had several people who have come to my house comment on how good it smells!

This got me thinking about other natural ways for keeping your home smelling fresh, so I did a little research and came up with 12 MORE naturals ways to improve the aroma of just about every room in the house! All of which are EASY & AFFORDABLE.

13 Natural Ways To Keep Your House Smelling Fresh

natural room fresheners

I love my diffuser because it’s so easy to use! You just fill it with water and pour a few drops of essential oil directly into the shell. When you turn it on it creates a light mist that transports the perfume of the essential oils throughout the air in the house.

natural room fresheners

If you don’t have a diffuser….here is another quick and easy way to improve the smells in your home with essential oils. Fill a small spray bottle with 4 ounces of water and 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil and use as a room spray. Lavender is a natural choice because of it’s calming properties, but citrus oils like lemon, tangerine, wild orange, and grapefruit, are great smells to perk things up!

natural room fresheners

Another way to use essential oils in your home is to freshen the bathroom. Take a cotton swab and dip each end in an essential oil of choice. Fasten it inside your toilet paper roll (or behind the toilet bowl) for a fresh-smelling commode. (You could also try making your own No. 2 Spray.)

natural room fresheners

If the garbage disposal is still giving off the smell of last night’s dinner, run some lemon, lime or orange peels through it to eliminate the odor.

natural room fresheners

For a sweet nights sleep take a cotton ball and dip in lavender, or chamomile and slip into your pillow case. This will give you a subtle, calming fragrance.

natural room fresheners

Carpet fibers are often an overlooked spot that trap unwanted smells. Make your own deodorizing carpet powder (you can find out how in THIS POST,) then sprinkle the powder on carpets, wait for a few minutes, and vacuum as usual. Not only does the powder help pick up dirt and hair, it also leaves behind a light, fresh scent.

natural room fresheners

It’s not exactly a room in your HOME, but since we all spend a lot of time in our car, I thought I’d include it. A quick and easy way to create a hanging air freshener for your car is to take some fabric, add 20-30 drops of your favorite essential oil and stash it somewhere in the vehicle. The more you add the stronger your fragrance will be. (For complete details CLICK HERE.)

natural room fresheners

Put a dab of vanilla extract on light bulbs when the lights are off. Once the lights are turned on, the bulb will heat up the extract and emit a delicious smell.

natural room fresheners

Put those essential oils to work again with this easy tutorial on how to make your own gel air fresheners.

natural room fresheners

Potted plants aren’t just for looks; they’re also natural air purifiers. Some of the best are different kinds of palm trees, orchids and peace lilies.

natural room fresheners

For stubborn odors in any room of the house…mix a few tablespoons of baking soda with water in the bowl of a crockpot or slow cooker. Set the crockpot in whichever room is most in need of a little freshening and set it to LOW with the lid off. The warm baking soda pull the odors from the air.

natural room fresheners

If you love your cat but don’t love litter box odor, mix tea leaves with the litter. It will help to neutralize the smell.

natural room fresheners
I usually only think about stovetop potpourri during the holidays, but it’s a great way to freshen the air ANYTIME of year! Fill a saucepan with water, add sliced lemon and your favorite herbs, simmer on low heat.  (CLICK HERE for a detailed post.)

Try some of these tips when your house could use a little freshening…..and really….whose house doesn’t need that once in awhile!?

What are your favorites ways to freshen your home?

Remember to use the coupon code “jillee” to receive 10% off any Spark Naturals essential oil order!

Facebook454Twitter33Pinterest6785Google+40

Comments

1. Rick says

One easy tip that I would like to share……is to add some drops of your favorite essential oil to your furnace filter.

Once the air kicks on, the nice smell will spread throughout your home via the air vents. Easy!

2. Vickie says

I was told by my carpet cleaner guy not to use powdered carpet fresh stuff because when the carpet gets professionally cleaned, it causes the carpet to become stiff. I have mine steam cleaned twice a year. It used to be only once a year, but now I have grandchildren who never kick off their shoes. Where I come from, everyone automatically removes their shoes at the door.

3. Janet says

I keep an orange , studded with whole cloves in a small saucer in the entry. It isn’t real strong, but it just smelils nice when the door opens and closes.

I also keep new bars of soap, out of the packaging, in drawers and closets. It’s so nice to open the closet door and have that nice fresh smell. I use Safeguard.

4. carol says

For the crockpot idea, do you put the water and baking soda directly in the crockpot ceramic or in a bowl and place that in the ceramic…..I JUST LOVE MY DAILY JILLEE tips!!!!!!

I love my diffuser and my oils. I’m definitely trying the a-tips in the tp tube! I’d like to buy a diffuser like the one in your photo – it’s pretty and blends with home decor better than any I’ve seen. The link you have goes to one that looks different from what u have. Can u tell me where to get one like yours??

6. silverdust says

I have a massive, unsightly roesmary bush that’s really overgrown and detracting from the landscaping. And to think I asked my hubby to cut it back severely when (and if!) the weather ever breaks! Now I can simmer away with something I was going to throw into the compost pile! Thanks, Jillee!

7. chris says

Forgive me for getting off topic but does anyone know how to unstick a photo from a broken glass part of the frame? Ours is a family picture and about 1/3 of it is stuck to the broken glass. Thank you so much.

8. Lynell says

Plants do naturally freshen the air. For all of you that have cats do NOT have a palm lily plant as it’s the most poisonous for them. Love reading all the tips every morning. I live in Vancouver British Columbia Canada. Buds on all of the trees and hellebore in full bloom. Can hardly wait til warmer weather!

• Ellen says

Did you mean Peace Lily? My Cat nearly destroyed mine by chewing on it. I had to put it higher up so she could not reach it. But she never got sick from it. Other than puking up the bits of leaves, she always went back for more.
      On topic, I’ve put a drop or 2 of EO right onto the inside of the cardboard TP tube before putting it onto the spindle and it smells nice for several days. I’ve also hidden cotton balls with EO on them all over the house. Just make sure they don’t touch finished wood or the cat can get to them.

9. christy m says

Good ideas. When we had our cat I would mix about 1 cup baking soda with a few drops essential oils for a nice cheap litter box
    Deodorizer. I’d use lavender or eucalyptus and mix it with the
    Regular cat litter. People were surprised we had a cat, because
    Our house didn’t smell like it.

10. Patricia says

Love your ideas, and most of these I’m ready to try, but again, I’m really concerned about mold and bacteria growing in these products, particularly in the gel air freshener.

I’ve read extensively that anything that contains water and anything else that can be good evironment for icky stuff to grow, will grow. Gelatin and water at room temperature for a few weeks sounds just like the perfect recipe for a mold, spores and bacteria incubator. I’ve read too that essential oils by themselves are not preservatives.

Have you made this recipe and left it at room temperature for a few weeks? Is anything growing in the containers afterwards? Just asking. It would be silly to keep it in the refrigerator to preserve it.

• Telina says

I have heard that using distilled water helps with keeping the bacteria down. Using Tea Tree oil as the scent or one of the scents would also help with the bacteria issue, I would think.

• Patricia says

Thanks for your comment Telina.
        Distilled water and EO might help, but I´m almost certain they will not preserve the formula by themselves. I would love to hear from anybody who have already made this recipe and kept it for a while at room temperature.
        I´m no expert, but I have made several hair and body care products at home and have researched this topic extensively, and from what I´ve learned, I definitely would not make this recipe without a preservative of some kind.

11. Rosemary says

love all the great suggestions. this time of year, when the house has been closed up tight for months on end, I hate being greeted to unfavorable smells when i come in the door after work. Mostly the rug a the back door where the dog sleeps.

12. CTY says

That is the nicest looking diffuser I have seen so far. Most of them look like Lava lamps straight form a college dorm. I will be ordering one.
    A bit of what I do–I use EOs in my DIY laundry products so I always make sure I leave the laundry room door open when doing clothes.
    I noticed that my perfume spray lingers in the air of the place where I put it on (sometimes for hours) so I stand in different places when I put it on.
    I also make a DIY sachets that I place inside my throw pillows. Anytime I need a fresh scent (and every time I see someone coming up my drive) it is time to fluff the pillows.
    You can hang a soap on a rope almost anywhere ( I buy them from Avon when they go on sale or after Christmas), when they lose their scent I lather up a rag in a dish pan of hot water and start washing everything in sight. By the time I am done the soap is refreshed and ready to be hung again.

13. Stef says

How timely is this?! It’s hard/impossible to keep the house aired out with the persistent cold weather we’ve been having this year. Thanks for sharing more practical ideas!

14. REBECCA says

One way I keep my house smelling fresh ‘n’ clean is to put an unused dryer sheet in with the furnace filter when I change it. The fragrance gets dispersed whenever the a/c or furnace comes on and fills the house with the scent of clean laundry! I love the scent of dryer sheets!

I believe everything posted was actually very logical.
    However, what about this? suppose you composed a catchier post title?

I am not saying your information is not good., but what if you added a title to maybe grab a person’s attention? I mean 13 Natural Ways To Keep
    Your House Smelling Fresh | One Good Thing by Jillee is a little vanilla.
    You should glance at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create post titles
    to get people interested. You might add a related video or a
    picture or two to get people excited about what you’ve written. Just my
    opinion, it would bring your website a little livelier.

16. lori says

I am going to try some of these. But you know what I do? A few drops of essential oil (I like peppermint, spearmint, eucalyptus, tea tree, and rosemary) in baking soda. I just put them in small jars and shake. I leave them open in the smelly places, like near the litter box or trash cans. Just put the lid back on and shake every so often to refresh. But the litter box smell is gone!
    I can’t put essential oils or anything too fragrant or dusty in my litter, as it aggravates my cat’s allergies and asthma.
    Baking soda is awesome at removing odors!

17. cyn says

I read somewhere to put charcoal in litter boxes to absorb odor…. of course making sure that the charcoal does NOT have accelerant or lighter fluid in it. It works great!

18. April says

In regards to the carpet deorderizer…not so much. My vaccum guru dealers reccomend
    using scented charcol or valcano rocks…lightweight, the vaccum picks up easily and can put in bag of vaccum for air freshner. Powders matt into carpets and get down to the padding and subfloors….