DIY Reusable Food Wrap

DIY Food Wrap

Happy 4th of July! To everyone celebrating today…I wish you all a delightful and safe holiday! And when you’re done eating and putting away the leftovers…I hope today’s post will come in handy. :-)

Plastic wrap and aluminum foil are both useful when it comes to keeping food fresh, but also create a lot of waste! Since I’m always on the lookout for new ways to cut down on the amount of trash we produce, when I came across this idea in MaryJanesFarm magazine, I knew I had to give it a try. It’s SO easy to make – just about as easy as stopping by the store for a new roll of plastic wrap – and a real money-saver because you can use it over and over again. I even like the rustic, natural look of it. Several sheets of it folded and tied with a piece of twine would make such a nice house-warming gift! Here’s how to make your own…..

DIY Reusable Food Wrap

Supplies:

• Thin cotton fabric (I used unbleached muslin)
  • Scissors
  • Beeswax
  • Cookie sheet
  • Paintbrush

Start by cutting your fabric into your desired dimensions. It might be a good idea to cut a few different sizes, to use on different sized containers!

DIY Food Wrap

Next, if your beeswax is in a bar like mine, you’ll need to grate some. I ended up needing about 2 tablespoons of grated beeswax per 12” square of fabric. If you have wax pellets, you can skip this step. :-)

DIY Food Wrap

Preheat your oven to 200. Then place one of your fabric pieces onto a cookie sheet, and sprinkle the beeswax over the top. (You’ll want to use about double what is pictured below.) Then place your cookie sheet in the oven until the wax melts, which should only take about 5 minutes or so.

DIY Food Wrap

Once the wax is melted, use your paintbrush to spread the beeswax around the fabric, making sure it is evenly covered. Then hang the fabric up somewhere to cool, and it’s ready to use!

DIY Food Wrap

You can use the food wrap to cover bowls and plates, wrap sandwiches or block of cheese, or even fold it into a container for snacks. Each wrap should last several months, and if it gets soiled, simply hand wash it in cold water (warm water will melt the wax) and allow it to air dry.

DIY Food Wrap

If the wrap starts to lose its’ grip over time, simply repeat this process to re-wax it, and it’ll be good as new! Not only will you be saving money over time, you’ll also be making a great choice for the environment!

DIY food wrap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter37Pin on Pinterest2,681Google+5

Comments

1. Jocelyn says

Love this idea! It would be cute to use leftover fabrics I already have for decorative covers.

Did you put the wax on both sides of the fabric? Or, did it seep through to the other side do you didn’t need to do the back side? If only one side is waxed, which side down toward the food?

Thank you and have a great day tomorrow!

2. Joe says

This is like doctors reusing syringes or reusing dental floss. This is the same argument against reusing shopping bags made of paper that might contain drippings of meat, milk etc. You might be doing the landfill a favor, but it at the risk of your health. If you don’t like to toss plastic wrap, then at least use a container you can wash. Many medical instruments are for single use because the medical profession does not trust the sterilization methods. Most stores have a bin so you can recycle your disposable bags. IL as a state condones the use of single use plastic bags. The real solution is to limit population growth, but the corporations don’t like that idea. However, China has limited population growth for over 2 decades. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I don’t know how else to express my opinion.

• mdoe37 says

…if it becomes soiled, you wash it.

Would I wrap fresh meat in this….no. Would I wrap a relatively dry sandwich in it…yes.

Common sense ,.,, Joe.

And by the way…..are you assuming the plastic wrap you use is sterile? Its relatively “clean”, but not sterile. If you are that concerned you would need to wash it before using it.

Sure, plastic wrap is approved for food. A *lot* of things are approved for food that some of us don’t actually WANT near, on, or in our food.

People used oilcloth for centuries for storing food. It’s washable. (And if you want to get really knitty gritty, this cloth could bed boiled, and retreated.)

And reusing syringes (medical devices that are actually inject your body) isn’t the same as covering a bowl of leftover potato salad with a reusable piece of cloth.

Thanks Jillee for another great post!

• Barbara says

I agree totally, Joe. My first thought was this can’t be sanitized.
      Another option that I use are the Silicone bowl covers which CAN be washed in soap and hot water. Even dishwasher and oven safe.

Joe….really? You chose a topic on reusable food wrap to complain about population growth?

Just someone looking to complain….man there are a lot of ‘crazies’ out there!

• silverdust says

How we got from reusable food wrap to one-child policies is amazing.

What do you expect from the Chi-Coms?

“The Population Bomb, ” by Ehrlich has been soundly discredited many times over since its 1971 publishing date. It’s a bunch of fear-mongering from the Progressive (Commie) Left.

Don’t worry about it.

You definitely have to use common sense with these wraps – maybe avoid using them on meat and always wash them before reusing.

• Susan says

Limit population growth…you go first. Who gets to decide the size of a family? Maybe Mormons or Catholics since traditionally they have large families. Or poor people of any race. Or Hispanics? Or Southerners since they’re all uneducated rednecks who shouldn’t breed. Make your own decision about it, but don’t suggest that it should be mandated or enforced. China’s policies have led to a huge population of young men and no women to marry.
      Susan (mother of 5)

• Colette says

Are you serious!!!! China is hardly a country any other country in the world would want to emulate. Unwanted children literally dumped by parents on the side of the road. In any case China has left itself with something of a problem, since they have too many males and not enough females particularly in rural areas. There are now reports of abductions and trafficking of women and forced marriages. Men of low income have less chance of meeting someone which could cause breaks in family lines. In the long the term these single men will have to rely heavily on social services to look after them! With regard to the reusable wrap, use common sense! Don’t use to wrap raw meat for goodness sake! The health risks associated with plastic wrap are far greater than some waxed fabric used sensibly. Plastic bags NEVER need to be used!!!! Where I live no-one goes shopping without reusable hessian or cotton shopping bags and if you forget and do need a plastic bag you pay for it!

Yes, you should already wash your fabric first. Their is no telling what contaminants it has been in contact with in shipping.

3. Pat says

Brilliant! I purchased some cloths like this and knew there had to be a way to make them myself. Thanks so very much.

4. Lizzy says

Beeswax is antimicrobial, so as long as your fabric is washed first, I believe you are safe to reuse. I think this is a cute idea to use as a top on a gift of jams or such.

I’m always amazed at the stuff you do here! I know based off of laziness alone I probably wouldn’t make this an all the time thing BUT I can see it being a cute presentation for the holidays or get togethers with people thinking I’m all fancy pants! ;-)

6. Sally says

Sorry to say, but tired of the pop ups every time I come to your site. VERY ANNOYING! There are many good ideas, but with so many DIY sites without pop ups I will have to cancel this subscription. If the problem ever gets fixed let me know I am interested in the helpful ideas.

• Peg says

If you use Firefox as your browser you can add a great add-on called Ad Block Plus. It blocks all pop ups on all sites. You can also right click on ads to add them to the block list & you’ll never see them again. I don’t see any ads on this site at all.

Are you sure that you don’t have a computer virus? I’ve never once had a popup when coming to this site.

• Leanne says

I TOTALLY agree!!! I can’t even focus on the info in the blog post because I’m so busy fighting the ads. I use Safari

• Toni says

I use Safari but I’ve never had pop-ups on this site. I have pop-ups blocked in my preferences.

• Gail D. says

I’ve been reading this site for close to 2 years now and have never had a pop-up. I am sure you are allowing them yourself with the setttings in your computer.

I’m sorry about that Sally but I don’t actually have any pop-ups running right now so there is a chance they are coming from other sites or you have a virus. I occasionally run them but not very often because I know how annoying they can be.

7. mary says

Can I ask where we can buy the bees wax? I can see that this might be useful especially for more ‘safe items’. I agree… you do have to use your common sense when wrapping /storing any thing. I do use reusable grocery bags but first put meat/poultry etc. in a plastic bag in case of leaks. My bags are all washable.

• Beth says

You can use soap when you wash the wrap just don’t leave it soaking. Over sanitation is really making people sick. As a species we are losing natural immunity. Relax this wrap is to cover a bowl in the fridge or wrap cookies or a sandwich not to prevent botulism in raw foods. If you are home canning worry about sterilization. If you are taking a sandwich to work for lunch and jusr don’t want it to dry out or come apart this will be fine.

• marinermama says

Craft stores in the embroidery or candle aisle also in the crocery or Ace in the canning aisle