DIY Reusable Food Wrap

DIY Food Wrap

Happy 4th of July! To everyone celebrating today…I wish you all a delightful and safe holiday! And when you’re done eating and putting away the leftovers…I hope today’s post will come in handy. :-)

Plastic wrap and aluminum foil are both useful when it comes to keeping food fresh, but also create a lot of waste! Since I’m always on the lookout for new ways to cut down on the amount of trash we produce, when I came across this idea in MaryJanesFarm magazine, I knew I had to give it a try. It’s SO easy to make – just about as easy as stopping by the store for a new roll of plastic wrap – and a real money-saver because you can use it over and over again. I even like the rustic, natural look of it. Several sheets of it folded and tied with a piece of twine would make such a nice house-warming gift! Here’s how to make your own…..

DIY Reusable Food Wrap

Supplies:

• Thin cotton fabric (I used unbleached muslin)
  • Scissors
  • Beeswax
  • Cookie sheet
  • Paintbrush

Start by cutting your fabric into your desired dimensions. It might be a good idea to cut a few different sizes, to use on different sized containers!

DIY Food Wrap

Next, if your beeswax is in a bar like mine, you’ll need to grate some. I ended up needing about 2 tablespoons of grated beeswax per 12” square of fabric. If you have wax pellets, you can skip this step. :-)

DIY Food Wrap

Preheat your oven to 200. Then place one of your fabric pieces onto a cookie sheet, and sprinkle the beeswax over the top. (You’ll want to use about double what is pictured below.) Then place your cookie sheet in the oven until the wax melts, which should only take about 5 minutes or so.

DIY Food Wrap

Once the wax is melted, use your paintbrush to spread the beeswax around the fabric, making sure it is evenly covered. Then hang the fabric up somewhere to cool, and it’s ready to use!

DIY Food Wrap

You can use the food wrap to cover bowls and plates, wrap sandwiches or block of cheese, or even fold it into a container for snacks. Each wrap should last several months, and if it gets soiled, simply hand wash it in cold water (warm water will melt the wax) and allow it to air dry.

DIY Food Wrap

If the wrap starts to lose its’ grip over time, simply repeat this process to re-wax it, and it’ll be good as new! Not only will you be saving money over time, you’ll also be making a great choice for the environment!

DIY food wrap

Share on Facebook1,439Tweet about this on Twitter36Pin on Pinterest2,313Google+4

Comments

1. Jocelyn says

Love this idea! It would be cute to use leftover fabrics I already have for decorative covers.

Did you put the wax on both sides of the fabric? Or, did it seep through to the other side do you didn’t need to do the back side? If only one side is waxed, which side down toward the food?

Thank you and have a great day tomorrow!

2. Joe says

This is like doctors reusing syringes or reusing dental floss. This is the same argument against reusing shopping bags made of paper that might contain drippings of meat, milk etc. You might be doing the landfill a favor, but it at the risk of your health. If you don’t like to toss plastic wrap, then at least use a container you can wash. Many medical instruments are for single use because the medical profession does not trust the sterilization methods. Most stores have a bin so you can recycle your disposable bags. IL as a state condones the use of single use plastic bags. The real solution is to limit population growth, but the corporations don’t like that idea. However, China has limited population growth for over 2 decades. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I don’t know how else to express my opinion.

Yes, you should already wash your fabric first. Their is no telling what contaminants it has been in contact with in shipping.

4. Pat says

Brilliant! I purchased some cloths like this and knew there had to be a way to make them myself. Thanks so very much.

5. Lizzy says

Beeswax is antimicrobial, so as long as your fabric is washed first, I believe you are safe to reuse. I think this is a cute idea to use as a top on a gift of jams or such.

6. mdoe37 says

…if it becomes soiled, you wash it.

Would I wrap fresh meat in this….no. Would I wrap a relatively dry sandwich in it…yes.

Common sense ,.,, Joe.

And by the way…..are you assuming the plastic wrap you use is sterile? Its relatively “clean”, but not sterile. If you are that concerned you would need to wash it before using it.

I’m always amazed at the stuff you do here! I know based off of laziness alone I probably wouldn’t make this an all the time thing BUT I can see it being a cute presentation for the holidays or get togethers with people thinking I’m all fancy pants! ;-)