Of all of the cleaning ingredients I keep on hand, baking soda may well be my very favorite. I probably use it every single day! A few years ago I wrote a post listing just a few of the ways you can utilize baking soda in your home, and mentioned I would be working on a “Part 2” for the future. I didn’t quite plan on waiting 3 years to do another post about baking soda, but better late than never, I say! :-)
Here are ten more clever and useful ways to use baking soda around the house.
1. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to every 3 eggs for super fluffy omelets!
2. You can dry-wash a stuffed animal using baking soda. Place the stuffed animal in a ziplock back with 1/2 cup of baking soda, and shake the bag around to distribute the baking soda. Let it sit in the bag for 30 minutes, then use a vacuum attachment to vacuum off the excess. The baking soda will absorb smells and oils, leaving the stuffed animal clean and fresh – no water needed!
3. Add a bit of baking soda to your shampoo for added volume! Baking soda helps your shampoo break up excess oils and product buildup, making your hair soft and clean.
4. Relieve heartburn by drinking 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Baking soda neutralizes stomach acids to relieve indigestion.
5. Remove stubborn tea and coffee stains on your mugs easily. Simply sprinkle a bit of baking soda inside a wet mug and scrub!
6. Add baking soda to your bathwater to soft and smooth skin, and to get super sudsy bubbles (if you use bubble bath)!
7. Keep fresh-cut flowers fresher for longer by adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the vase of water.
8. Wash your produce by filling a large bowl or your sink with cold water, and adding 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda. Soak your veggies in the water for 10 minutes, then rinse and dry.
9. You can kill unwanted insects by making a mixture of sugar and baking soda. Sprinkle the mixture in corners or cupboards where insects are present.
10. Strengthen your powdered dishwashing detergent by adding 2 teaspoons of baking soda to each wash.