Saturday, August 13, 2011

Snickers Salad…a Potluck Pleaser!

Sounds so wrong…..but tastes so good! :-)

Not too long ago a friend at work was asking for suggestions on something quick she could throw snickers
together for a church potluck she was going to that night.  The first thing that popped into my head was “Snickers Salad”!  (I must have been craving chocolate or something).  I was surprised she’d never even HEARD of it…and neither had anyone else in the office!  I decided I better remedy that situation because EVERYONE should experience the joy that is Snickers Salad! :-)

My daughter Britta introduced US to it several years ago after having it at a church activity. Since I couldn’t believe it was a “real” recipe…I never looked it up online. I just went by what she said she thought was in it.  Snickers, apples and Cool Whip!  Well, after Googling it this morning I have discovered that most recipes for this call for cream cheese and powdered sugar mixed in with the Cool Whip!  wow!  And I thought it was sweet the way WE were making it! :-)

snickers salad

Well, however you make it (my friend Bonnie said they always make it with REAL whipped cream…I must try that next time.  I’m all about real cream!) I think you will be a fan!  Unless of course you don’t like Snicker bars…and then I won’t know what to think!  I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone not liking Snickers. :-)

So here is an “official” recipe I found at Food.com.    But of course it’s pretty hard to “mess up” this salad…however you make it.

—————————————————————

Snickers Salad

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 (12 ounce) containers Cool Whip, thawed
6 Snickers candy bars
4 -6 granny smith apples (or whatever apple you like, but wouldn’t recommend a soft variety)

Directions
Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until thoroughly blended.
Fold in Cool Whip.
Cut Snickers into bite size chunks and add to cream cheese mixture.
Chop the apples into chunks and stir.
Chill 1 hour before serving.
Chilling for a long period of time (such as overnight) will result in a runny salad. :-(

————————————————————–

I just might have to break down and make it this weekend. It’s been awhile…..

And that’s today’s….

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

33 thoughts on “Snickers Salad…a Potluck Pleaser!

1. Brandi

I have been making this for years and you are right it is amazing! My recipe calls for 1 small package of vanilla instant pudding mix, 1/2 c milk, 1 regular contain of cool whip thawed, and we play around with the number of granny smith apples and snickers. I like to cheat and buy a bag of bite sized snickers so that I have less chopping but then opening all the little packages isn’t as fun! I may have to try the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Thanks for sharing :)

1. Amanda

Yep, same here. One pkg. of vanilla pudding. We call it “sneaky salad” because the pudding makes it look like potato salad! You never know till you take a bite!

2. Barbara

I make this the same way, but I add mini marshmallows too! If you freeze the Snickers for a little bit, you can put them in a bag and smash them up…so much easier than chopping them.

3. Christi

My cousin made a version of this at least 10 years ago. In going to make it for our church ladies’ Bunco night tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

4. Brenda

My Grandma taught me to make this salad and she used cool whip, apples and snickers. I have know been making this salad for the last 20 plus years. Haven’t found anyone yet who doesn’t like it.

5. Tina

Just wanted to say that if you beat a little lemon juice in with your whipped topping, it will help to sustain it’s thickness and won’t make your salads “runny” I do this with my fruit salad and it’s a wonderful tip! Great recipe by the way, Thanks for sharing.

6. Amy

CUTCO!!! :) Cutco is the greatest, so if you need more let me know, but also This recipe is amazing! I learned it from Girl Scouts and had it all the time in camp :)

1. Gloria

I noticed the Cutco knife also. LOL I have that same knife – that was the only one we could afford 35 yrs ago when the guy did the demo. LOL I don’t think I have ever had Snickers salad but it sounds a lot like the Taffy Apple salad I’ve had.

7. Pingback: Snickers Salad « Pin[terest] WIN! or FAIL?

8. Rebecca

I just found this on Pinterest – I will DEFINITELY be making this in the very near future! I’ll have to change one thing though – I’ll be using Snickers with Almonds since I can’t have peanuts :/ But this recipe sounds amazing! Thanks!

9. Debbie

If ppl don’t like snickers this is great with crushed cookies in place of the snickers… or any other kind of candy as well… Also I never use cream cheese and powered sugar, way to sweet…. I just stick with whipped cream… I do however add a 1/2 cup or so of chocolate chips on top of the snicker bars so that every bit gets some chocolate with it… (been making this for up wards of 15 years, started when I was about 12 now 27) never gets old and is soooo super simple…

10. V

I make it with apples, cool whip, snickers and bananas! Huge hit when I make it for my kids and even potlucks.
    To keep the bananas from turning brown too fast, I usually put them in a little lemon juice. Doesn’t affect the taste of the bananas or apples at all.

11. Lovelyday7

Made this for a Fourth of July gathering. It was delicious, a big hit, but I will alter a few things next time. I want to taste the tartness of the apples a little more; it was a bit sweet. Next time… Half the confectioner’s sugar, half the Snickers and add 1/2 cup of dry roasted and a cup of marshmellows. Just another opinion!

12. Linda Rust

I make this salad with regular sugar, 2 green apples, and 1 red apple. I also make it with milky ways. Both of them never stay around long and yes we use it as a dessert.

13. Pingback: Snickers Salad… WHAT?!? « Heather B's Desk

14. Kristi

This sounds awesome and I can’t wait to try it, tho I will be leaving out the cream cheese as my husband can’t stand it! But it reminded me of another ridiculously easy dessert recipe, that I usually make for gatherings. Never heard an official name for it, so we call it “Chocolate Chip Cookie Goop!”

1 – 16oz. tub of Cool Whip, thawed
    1 to 1 1/2 pkgs. of CHEAP , dry Chocolate Chip cookies (the dryer and crunchier, the better)
    9 x 13 pan

Spread a thin layer of cool whip on bottom of pan. Then place a layer of cookies, side by side. Break a cookie(s) in half if you have to to fill the bottom. Then spread a layer of cool whip on the cookies, making sure they’re completely covered (approx. 1/4″ thick). Then another layer of cookies, then cool whip, etc…, until you’ve completely used the cookies or cool whip, or until you reach the top of the pan. If you have left over cookies, you can crumble them and sprinkle them across the top. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 8 hrs. The cookies need time to absorb the cool whip, so it’s a great recipe for making the night before it’s needed! And it keeps for several days, but it’s never lasted that long in my house or anywhere else I’ve taken it! Enjoy!

15. BoBBi

Made this for my aunts fish fry and it was a hit… I died the fluff orange for fall and it looked good =-)
    Didn’t use any of the tips listed; made as the recipe called for =-)

16. tracy

How about putting the cream cheese mixture in a bowl, the chopped apples in another & the chopped Snickers in a third, chill overnight then mix together right before the potluck? :)

17. Pingback: Hello Blog World! « My Classroom

18. Kellyellyelly

I made this last night for a pumpkin-carving party. It took about 15 minutes to make. As soon as i mixed it up, i covered it and ran out the door with it. I let it chill in my friend’s fridge while we carved the pumpkins and ate chili. By dessert time it was ready to serve. Everyone loved it! They were all asking my friend who made it! It’s a keeper!

19. Sherece

I don’t use cream cheese or powdered sugar in mine, but I do stir in a box of butterscotch pudding to the cool whip before adding the snickers and apples. This is one of those salads where you ALWAYS have people asking for the recipe!!!

20. Amy Woods

My family always wants me to bring snicker salad for our family dinners. I make my salad with vanilla yogurt, cool whip, green apples, red grapes sliced and snickers! I never thought to use cream cheese. I will have to try this version for Christmas!

21. cars

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way in all situations in
    life. Buying a car is no different! That means you need to read advice from experts, as
    detailed below, to ensure that when you shop
    for that car, you really know what you’re doing and how to get the best deal.