Snickers Salad…a Potluck Pleaser!

Sounds so wrong…..but tastes so good! :-)

Not too long ago a friend at work was asking for suggestions on something quick she could throw snickers
together for a church potluck she was going to that night.  The first thing that popped into my head was “Snickers Salad”!  (I must have been craving chocolate or something).  I was surprised she’d never even HEARD of it…and neither had anyone else in the office!  I decided I better remedy that situation because EVERYONE should experience the joy that is Snickers Salad! :-)

My daughter Britta introduced US to it several years ago after having it at a church activity. Since I couldn’t believe it was a “real” recipe…I never looked it up online. I just went by what she said she thought was in it.  Snickers, apples and Cool Whip!  Well, after Googling it this morning I have discovered that most recipes for this call for cream cheese and powdered sugar mixed in with the Cool Whip!  wow!  And I thought it was sweet the way WE were making it! :-)

snickers salad

Well, however you make it (my friend Bonnie said they always make it with REAL whipped cream…I must try that next time.  I’m all about real cream!) I think you will be a fan!  Unless of course you don’t like Snicker bars…and then I won’t know what to think!  I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone not liking Snickers. :-)

So here is an “official” recipe I found at Food.com.    But of course it’s pretty hard to “mess up” this salad…however you make it.

—————————————————————

Snickers Salad

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 (12 ounce) containers Cool Whip, thawed
6 Snickers candy bars
4 -6 granny smith apples (or whatever apple you like, but wouldn’t recommend a soft variety)

Directions
Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until thoroughly blended.
Fold in Cool Whip.
Cut Snickers into bite size chunks and add to cream cheese mixture.
Chop the apples into chunks and stir.
Chill 1 hour before serving.
Chilling for a long period of time (such as overnight) will result in a runny salad. :-(

————————————————————–

I just might have to break down and make it this weekend. It’s been awhile…..

And that’s today’s….

Share on Facebook670Tweet about this on Twitter16Pin on Pinterest245,135Google+1

Comments

1. annulla says

Never heard of it before. To me, it sounds more like some kind of dessert than a salad. What would you serve with it?

2. Brandi says

I have been making this for years and you are right it is amazing! My recipe calls for 1 small package of vanilla instant pudding mix, 1/2 c milk, 1 regular contain of cool whip thawed, and we play around with the number of granny smith apples and snickers. I like to cheat and buy a bag of bite sized snickers so that I have less chopping but then opening all the little packages isn’t as fun! I may have to try the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Thanks for sharing :)

• Amanda says

Yep, same here. One pkg. of vanilla pudding. We call it “sneaky salad” because the pudding makes it look like potato salad! You never know till you take a bite!

3. Barbara says

I make this the same way, but I add mini marshmallows too! If you freeze the Snickers for a little bit, you can put them in a bag and smash them up…so much easier than chopping them.

4. Shana says

We make a “heath salad” which is always a big hit!! We use Heath Bars broken up with cream cheese and cool whip.

5. Christi says

My cousin made a version of this at least 10 years ago. In going to make it for our church ladies’ Bunco night tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. Brenda says

My Grandma taught me to make this salad and she used cool whip, apples and snickers. I have know been making this salad for the last 20 plus years. Haven’t found anyone yet who doesn’t like it.

7. Tina says

Just wanted to say that if you beat a little lemon juice in with your whipped topping, it will help to sustain it’s thickness and won’t make your salads “runny” I do this with my fruit salad and it’s a wonderful tip! Great recipe by the way, Thanks for sharing.

• Sonya says

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been trying to find a way to stop it from becoming “runny” :)! I can’t wait to try it! :)

8. Amy says

CUTCO!!! :) Cutco is the greatest, so if you need more let me know, but also This recipe is amazing! I learned it from Girl Scouts and had it all the time in camp :)

• Gloria says

I noticed the Cutco knife also. LOL I have that same knife – that was the only one we could afford 35 yrs ago when the guy did the demo. LOL I don’t think I have ever had Snickers salad but it sounds a lot like the Taffy Apple salad I’ve had.

1. [...] I found this delicious nugget on Pinterest and I can not wait for a reason to wip this one up!  You take 8 oz chream cheese softened, 1 C powdered sugar, 12 oz Cool Whip, 6 snicker bars, 4-6 Granny Smith apples and prefecto you have a delectable dessert.  For the full details check out this blog: One Good Thing  [...]