Cafe Rio Sweet Pork

A couple of days ago I posted a copycat recipe for “Cafe Rio” CHICKEN.  I’ve had several requests for the “Cafe Rio” PORK recipe too….so I thought I would oblige.
THIS recipe I have made a LOT! My husband and I like the pork in a salad…my boys like it in burrito form, either way it’s DELICIOUS!
I’ve also included the recipes for the Cilantro-Lime Rice and the Tomatillo Ranch Dressing that are a wonderful compliment to the pork.  I didn’t include a recipe for the Cafe Rio Black Beans (I personally use canned black beans) but there are lots of recipes out there for that as well. Just ask my friend Google.

Sweet Pork Barbacoa
2 pounds pork (I like to use the pork butt – my butcher concurs)
2 cans Coke (NOT diet)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 c. water
1 can diced green chiles
3/4 can enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso)
1 c. brown sugar

Put the pork in a reclosable bag to marinate, pour in one of the cans of Coke and 1/2 c. brown sugar. Marinade for a few hours or overnight. (I’ve done both…they both work.)

Drain marinade and put pork, 1/2 can of Coke, water, and garlic salt in crock pot on high for about 3-4 hours. Remove pork from crock pot, drain off liquid, shred pork. (I use two forks because I’m too impatient to wait until it’s cool.)

Mix together (in a bowl or in the blender) other 1/2 can of Coke, can of chiles, enchilada sauce and brown sugar.

Put shredded pork back in the crock pot, cover with sauce, heat just until warmed through.

Cilantro Lime Rice

1 cup. uncooked rice
1 T oil
1 tsp minced garlic (I use the jarred kind)
1 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice
2 cups water (or chicken broth – leave out bouillon)
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules (or 2 bouillon cubes)
1 T fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tsp sugar
3 T fresh chopped cilantro

In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 tsp. lime, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a bowl combine lime juice, sugar and chopped cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing

1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. milk
2-3 tomatillos, remove husk, cut in 1/2
1 bunch of fresh cilantro (cut off most of stems)
1 generous tsp of minced garlic
juice of 1 lime (I use two!)
1 jalapeno (I’m a wimp so I remove the seeds, leave them in if you like it SPICY!)

Throw it all in the blender and BLEND!  Refrigerate.

And there ya go.  Fair amount of work involved here…..but soooooooooooooooooo worth it when you taste it!  (Of course you can just run to your closest Cafe Rio if you’re impatient…and lucky enough to have one close by!!)

Share on Facebook156Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest22,156Google+2

Comments

1. Jadie says

I found your blog yesterday and I have done nothing but read it for two days! I love all of these ideas, and I love home made anything :). Just a tip, I have used a very similar recipe for pulled pork, try substituting Coke for Dr. Pepper next time! It makes it perfect.

2. Jen says

How many would you say the 2 lbs pork and your rice recipe will serve? Also, does it freeze well? I’m thinking this would be a great dinner for an upcoming family reunion. I have 10 adults and 14 kids to feed (three of which probably eat more like adults since they’re teen/preteen boys).

3. Catherine's not naturally crafty says

Jen – the pork freezes beautifully! We make a version of it using B-B-Q sauce and, of course, even cut down 1 butt is too big for our family of 3. So unless I’m feeding the whole clan; we eat, I save some out for the Hub’s lunch the next day and the rest goes in the freezer for later consumption. I don’t even marinate, just plonk the thing in the cooker, dump on the sauce and let ‘er rip. I do trim the butt really well and drain the sauce off for de-greasing. Jillee – the Tomatillo Dressing would make a Killer coleslaw to serve on the Pork. sorta a Cuban/North Carolina fusion thing. Numnumnumnum.

4. PippaP says

Do y’all freeze the rice, too? If so, how? I ususally just freeze mine in ziptop bags and it sometimes gets freezer burned.

Jillee, I absolutely love your site!! I check it everyday to see what you’ve developed. I appreciate that you test everything ahead of time for us! Keep it up!! Your loyal fans depend on you!

5. Kelly says

For the Cafe Rio Pork I have a recipe that is a two to three pound pork roast, 1 to 1 of brown sugar and Pace salsa, so 1 c. to 1 c. of each, put it in a crockpot for 4 hours on high and then shred the pork and put it back in the crockpot to let it warm back up. Super easy and really good. I get lots of compliments on it.

6. Terry Atwell says

Thanks for this one Jillee! I love Cafe Rio!! Will be trying these recipes out very soon!! :)

7. Amanda says

WOW! I’ve never left a comment for a food but I just made these tonight and am eating a burrito right now and it is seriously exactly the same! We did a little spicier enchilada sauce so it has a bite to it but it is so delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

8. Jennifer E. says

I made this today and it was delicious! However, I have about 90% of the dressing left. Any suggestions on what to do with it? We put it on the pork, but I wonder if there is some other use for it at Cafe Rio (we don’t have it here in Cincinnati). Thanks for a great recipe!

I’m not totally sure what all they put it on at Cafe Rio but I think it’s great on salads, burritos, tacos, chicken, beef, pork, etc. The sky is the limit!

1. [...] My husband and my son love Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Burritos so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a try ASAP!  I have never had Cafe Rio’s version but Bob and Zach said that this was pretty close and also delicious.  It comes from a blog called “One Good Thing”. [...]

2. [...] $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Thought you might be interested in trying out this reciepe I’ve found for making homemade laundry detergent.  I’m making few batches today in fact, to do my laundry with and will let you all know how it goes.  Seems to me it’s gonna be a winner!!  I’m also making enough to give a large bottle to some of my friends for them to try out as well.  I want to get some input besides my own LOL.  One is an especially tough nut to crack considering that she SWEARS by TIDE alone!!  As expensive as it’s getting to do laundry, especially since I have to do in a laundromat , I figure this is definitely worth a shot!!.  Will also include one separately for homemade liquid fabric softner  Please DO let me know if/when you make some and what your thoughts on how it works for you! Susan (recipe amounts are for one gallon and I make 3 recipes/gallons at a time.) 3 Tablespoons Borax 3 Tablespoons Washing Soda 2 Tablespoons Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid I like to line up my (3) one gallon jugs (old Minute Maid O.J. bottles) and then add the ingredients assembly line style. I use a small plastic funnel for this and it helps to make it all go much faster and with much fewer spills. Once all three jugs have the 3 ingredients inside, I pour 4 cups of VERY HOT water into each one. I just use water from the kitchen faucet, it doesn’t need to be boiling. Swirl each bottle until all the ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. (Bubbles will overflow out of the bottle a little.)                          DISCLAIMER: (I AM NOT SHOUTING….I JUST WANT TO MAKE A FEW THINGS ABOUT THIS RECIPEPERFECTLY CLEAR!) It is NOT a THICK liquid detergent. It’s quite thin in fact. But it works JUST AS WELL! It has little to no suds (just like the grated soap kind) and it is fine to use in HE washers for that reason. VERY low to no suds. BECAUSE it is thin….I end up using more of it than the thicker “cooked” version…usually AROUND a cup. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. But I am fine with that because it is SO inexpensive (and easy) to make! (I’d try and figure out the actual cost…but my brain is WAY too tired right now. Maybe tomorrow. Or maybe one of you math whizzes out there will take pity on me and figure it out FOR me! UPDATE: Lisa took pity on me!!  Thank you Lisa!! Lisa April 30, 2012 at 7:35 am Jillee, I love your blog with such useful tips, I figured all the good tips you give me, I’d do the math I’m no mathematic genius but here it goes .. I paid 3.83 for borax at Walmart , 1.99 for washing soda, and $ 2.00 for dawn. Ok I rounded up to nearest whole dollar so 1 box of borax is 76 ounces so it makes 50 gallons of detergent equaling =0.08 per gallon. One box washing soda is 55 ounces which will make 48 gallons of detergent=0.05/load. The dawn was 48 ounces so it will make 36 gallons of detergent =0.04 per gallon. So my educated guess is each gallon cost is $0.17 !! Now that’s one good thing!!!! P. S. I love your cafe rio sweet pork recipe!!!! [...]

3. […] Lisa April 30, 2012 at 7:35 am Jillee, I love your blog with such useful tips, I figured all the good tips you give me, I’d do the math I’m no mathematic genius but here it goes .. I paid 3.83 for borax at Walmart , 1.99 for washing soda, and $ 2.00 for dawn. Ok I rounded up to nearest whole dollar so 1 box of borax is 76 ounces so it makes 50 gallons of detergent equaling =0.08 per gallon. One box washing soda is 55 ounces which will make 48 gallons of detergent=0.05/load. The dawn was 48 ounces so it will make 36 gallons of detergent =0.04 per gallon. So my educated guess is each gallon cost is $0.17 !! Now that’s one good thing!!!! P. S. I love your cafe rio sweet pork recipe!!!! […]