NEW Life for OLD Cookie Sheets!

It all started with a sticker.

I bought a “new to me” clothes washer last week because my ancient one finally bit the dust. I found it in an online classified ad and brought it home and installed it all by own self because the hubster was half way around the world on a business trip. (Does anyone else suffer from this syndrome? Dad/husband is away….so all hell decides to break loose!?!? Please say it’s not just me!)

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Anyway, the washer is a GEM! It has hardly ever been used, works GREAT, and looks like it’s brand new! The only thing that was bothering me about it was a small 2 inch square sticker stuck to the front of it. Something from the manufacturer that was just never taken off.  I was lamenting the fact that our bottle of “Goo Be Gone” was…well….gone, when I discovered something under my sink that I didn’t even realize I had!

It’s called Sol-U-Mel and it’s made by EcoSense. I honestly had no idea where it even came from and then I remembered a long time ago someone giving me a box of cleaning products from a line they were selling.  I think it was one of my sisters, (I can’t even recall that for sure) and I think my husband just ended up putting it all under our kitchen sink and there it has sat.
Since I needed some sort of “solvent” to get the sticker off…the name “Sol-U-Mel” sounded promising. :-) Sure enough, it took the sticker off in a snap!As a matter of fact, it was SUCH a snap that the wheels inside my brain immediately started spinning……………………..

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Several weeks ago I wrote a post about how my “miracle cleaner” had made old cookie sheets of mine that I had long since given up on look like (almost) new again. A LOT of people commented on it and tried it themselves with great success! However, there were a few that lamented it just wasn’t working as well for them and even *I* hadn’t had COMPLETE success because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get the REALLY TOUGH STUFF in the corners and on the sides to budge! So I pulled out the cookie sheets that I had worked on before and decided to see what this bottle of stuff I found under my sink could do.

Well, here’s what it did:

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Not bad huh??!! I was pleased as punch at these results and was ready to put all my cleaning supplies away and call it a night when I spied one of my WORST cookie sheets peeking out at me from the cupboard. It was calling out to me! HELP me!  lol!  OK, not really, but once I noticed it sitting there looking so forlorn and unloved…I just couldn’t help seeing if maybe, just maybe, this Sol-U-Mel could show this pan a little love too. I admit it…I am a bit obsessive when it comes to things like this (OK…a LOT obsessive), but I’ve learned to just go with it. :-)   And this time it paid off! Big time!

See for yourself!!
Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Point of information: I ended up using steel wool to get the hardest stuff off…and it took a pretty heavy dose of elbow grease to get it to shine like that….but definitely doable!

Also, before I started I checked the ingredients on the bottle to make sure it wasn’t something toxic (I really have been trying to make the switch to natural cleaners in general) and it listed Melaleuca Oil, soap and green tincture.  After some research I discovered that another name for Melaleuca Oil is……Tea Tree Oil!One article I read about this product swears that using a combination of Tea Tree Oil and some Dr. Brommer’s Castile Soap will yield the same results! Haven’t personally tested this out yet….but I guarantee I WILL!And then I, of course, will pass it on to all of you. :-)   I was just too excited about these results to wait and post this.

I have to say, each time I look at the picture of those shiny pans….I’m a little stunned.  I NEVER thought they would come clean…and yet they did…and without harmful chemicals!   Very cool……….

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter23Pin on Pinterest536,729Google+2

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I absolutely love Melaleuca products & I too have a love for the many uses of baking soda. It’s easy for the casual observer to confuse Melaleuca with a tradional MLM, but they are NOT. Regardless, not all MLM’s are bad, but most often people get hurt, don’t make very much money or even lose money. There is absolutely no risk in being a preferred customer (get 30-40% off)or a direct customer and using these amazing products.

Solumel is my go to for so many cleaning challenges…nail polish remover/a great mosquitos repellent/salad dressing oil on shirts/etc. There are like over 160 uses for this amazing product. I am saving money by buying my cleaning products at Melaleuca…they are super concentrated and end up being cheaper than even the dollar store.

I have to agree with you on the Melaleuca products. I love them! Especially Sol-U-Mel. I had burns on my hands and knew my hands would be blistered for awhile. It was very painful. I spent the day cleaning the kitchen and bathroom with Sol-U-Mel and when I woke up the next morning, my burns were gone. My hands looked like I didn’t have any burns the day before. I really love this stuff!

2. Anonymous says

I love your tips. I would love to find something to clean my gas stove top, under the burners is bad.

I also was a melaleaca member, products are fantastic. If you have a large family I believe you can save money,BUT it was just me and my husband and there was no way we could use the amount you needed to buy to stay a member. I even supplied my mom with all her cleaning and health products out of my surplus and still had too much on hand.

My husband shot a nail thru his hand twice one day with an pneumatic nail gun, I cleaned area with peroxide and put the pure tea tree oil on his hand…..the next day he said his hand wasn't even sore. Their products are natural and doesn't have the carsinegines ( I hope I spelled that right) in it. If you want to be a member and have a small household I really would recommend that you have a few friends to go in with you and you share the one membership. You can buy as much as you want but you have to buy a certain amount to stay active.

• jeannie says

Look into h20 they have clay that oh my stars cleans without scubbing its amazing

• Kira says

Please, please don’t use hydrogen peroxide on a wound. It doesn’t discriminate between healthy and diseased tissue and can really exacerbate the damage by killing good cells. Tea tree is great because it’s antibacterial, but hydrogen peroxide is a bad thing. Soap and water is infinitely better.

• Bree says

Actually, hydrogen peroxide on a wound isn’t harmful. But you are right about soap and water being more helpful. Your blood contains an enzyme called catalase, and when catalase comes in contact with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), it breaks down into water (H2O) and oxygen (O2). So essentially, all you’re doing with peroxide is flushing it with really pure water. But water doesn’t kill bacteria, so use an antiseptic, or soap! :)

• Kelli Giguiere says

I agree on the peroxide being safe! My uncle cut his leg with a chainsaw waaay back in the day in the redwoods area. He and my Aunt were without any way of getting help so he poured hydrogen peroxide on it over the next few days and it saved his leg!

• Sherry says

My uncle almost cut off his thumb when he was a kid. My grandparents were poor and couldn’t afford a doc, so Granny put fireplace ashes on the wound and bandaged it up. He retained the use of his thumb but he had a black ring around it for the rest of his life.

• Donna H. says

A “magic eraser” will clean all the stains around my gas stove burners! Just discovered the Magic Eraser last week. It, too, is a miracle, green cleaning tool!

• Apryl says

I often wonder what our parents did when we would scribble on the walls or make scuff marks on the floor without having something as awesome as the Magic Eraser. I have used it on EVERYTHING from dingy white shoes to a dirty stove top…. I will also confess to a small group of friends that I have even used it to clean up some hair color on my skin. I would NOT recommend using it on any part of your face…… lol

• VickiRush says

Surprised to see your comment that you couldn’t use the recommended 35 product points per month of Melaleuca! In our house, it’s just me and my husband and we use well over 75 points every month. Of course, we use a lot of the nutritional and sports products as well, so maybe that’s the difference. We are totally in love with these products!

3. Marlene says

I have been a Melaleuca member for 15 years and I absolutely love their products! Once you start using them, you won't go back to store bought products. The Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) is in most of their cleaning products and in many of their first aid products as well. You simply can't go wrong with Melaleuca!!!

4. DJRowell says

At least 12-15 years ago my little sister out in Texas sold this stuff from Melaluca and I promise you I absolutely covet every last drop in my bottle only using it super sparingly for the magic marker streaks and everything that nothing else works on. I love, love, love it and wish I could get gallons of the stuff. Very, very non-toxic and safe. I would be willing to use an equally effective even DIY version if someone has it. Otherwise, my last drops in my Solumel bottle will be a sad day.

5. Kathy says

someone asked about getting baked on grease off of pyrex…haven't tried the melaluca route, but I've had good success with PowerSolve (use it all the time on my burner pans, too.) It gets rid of those more recent stains that are still "brown"….for the ones that PowerSolve doesnt take care of, I use oven cleaner. I know, nasty chemicals, and all..but it does work! (PS Do NOT use oven cleaner aluminum…it will get it clean, but will ruin the finish!!)

I gently use my steel wool to scrub the baked on brown spots off my pyrex. Don’t have any scratches and with a little elbow grease they look like new.

6. Kel says

My husband and I always joke that I do crazy things when he is off on business. Like cancel the cable, rearrange the furniture, and most recently– move. We'd been talking about moving to the next town over, and while he was gone I found a rental below our price range and above our expectations, so with his "okay," I did all the paperwork, packed up our stuff, and we moved the day after he got back. Good thing he loves the new house :) So you are not alone in going crazy when the husband is gone!

7. Deb says

I happened upon this site via Pintrest, and was very happy to see the comments on the Melaleuca products. I too have used these products with great success for over 10 years. I would be happy to help anyone obtain these products. You may email me, Deborah Bessom at debbessom@gmail.com

8. Brzerkpenguin says

While looking for some online without going through a seller I found this comment:

"Sol-U-Mel is just a light soap solution with Tea Tree Oil added. Seriously, that's all it is. You can replace it by taking a couple drops of Dr Bronners liquid soap or similar and adding a couple drops of tea tree oil (available all over the place, even at Walmart!), then filling the spray bottle. Same stuff. BTW, I do participate in Melaleuca, I have nothing against them. I use a bunch of their products where I'm just not willing to mix my own or whatnot."

Maybe that will help?

9. Rachel says

Love Melaleuca products!! Cost I pay for an 8 oz bottle of Solumel is $10.99. The one on amazon is selling for an exorbitant price! Just thought I would mention it. blessings, Rachel