Aspirin & Lemon Juice Face Mask

Beauty Secrets From Your Pantry!

For months I have been hearing bits and pieces about how aspirin is actually good for your face????

Really??

As in take two and it won’t hurt so bad when you look in the mirror??? :-)

I had no idea what aspirin could actually do for your face until I finally stumbled across this “beauty secret” from Doctor Oz! (as in Mehmet.)

I don’t watch his show and haven’t read any of his books….but every time I run across something of his online…I have never failed to be impressed! He seems to have a great sense of what people want and need to make themselves healthier and happier. He certainly captured MY imagination with this recipe for his Flawless Skin Home Remedy.

Since starting the Oil Cleansing Method of washing my face last month…overall I am MUCH happier with how my skin feels. The thing I like most is how it evens out the dry vs. oily areas of my face and overall feels much better moisturized. BUT, when I do any close-up inspection of my face in the mirror I’m becoming more and more unsatisfied with its overall complexion.

Well, if Doctor Oz is to be believed, (I have no reason NOT to believe him at this point!) this Aspirin and Lemon Juice concoction is great for your complexion because the aspirin contains salicylic acid which acts like a chemical peel and the lemon juice has Vitamin C which helps minimize sun damage. Sounds like just the ticket to me! All aboard!!

And the ingredients couldn’t be simpler! If I had any aspirin in the house, I’d probably be in the bathroom putting this on my face right now! Nothing that can’t be cured very quickly by a quick trip to the grocery store tomorrow.

Dr Oz Aspirin and Lemon Juice Flawless Skin Home Remedy:

Ingredients:

non-coated aspirin (coated is fine too, just takes longer to dissolve.)
– fresh lemon juice
baking soda

Instructions:

1. Mash up 6-12 non-coated aspirins and combine with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
2. Let the aspirin dissolve until it turns into a paste.
3. Apply the mask to your skin and leave it on for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the face mask by dipping a cotton round in some baking soda and some water.

Simple huh? Can’t wait to try it!

Here are a few question/answers that might be helpful:

Q:
What’s the benefit to doing this over some topical salcylic acid treatment that you don’t have to mix yourself?
A:
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid): decomposes to salicylic acid which increases cell exfoliation and is anti-bacterial
Lemon juice: Citric acid wards off oxidation (like the browning of an apple slice)
Baking soda: neutralizes the acidic lemon juice in the event you would get it into your eyes

Q:  How often do you apply this, once a week?
A:  1-2 times a week. (Not recommended for sensitive skin. Might be too drying.)

Q:  I could not find un-coated aspirin so I used coated. Will the coating harm my face?
A:  Coated aspirin is fine.  Just takes longer to dissolve. Un-coated is actually fairly hard to find.

Q:  The paste was flaking off my face…is there something I can add to it?
A:  A teaspoon of honey or olive oil or aloe vera will help bind the mixture together.

I think I might have another skin care remedy to try and convince my daughter to try. :-)

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest21,413Google+4

Comments

1. Mrs. Robinson says

Cool! Sounds like a great idea..I'll have to try it! AND I have fresh lemons already. Thanks for sharing!

2. Denise from Ark says

Try buying powdered aspirin like BC Powder or Goody's (depends on what part of the country you're in.) It's more expensive, but would dissolve pretty well. I've been using this for a while. It works best when you're pretty diligent with it (go figger, huh?) The aspirin stays a little gritty so if you can keep it from drying out, it will work as a mechanical exfoliant as well. Using yogurt with it also adds lactic acid, which is another good AHA exfoliant. Actually, the yogurt/aspirin/lemon mix is the trifecta of a good exfoliant cleaner, but might be a bit much on sensitive skin. Consider adding the powdered aspirin to your makeup remover cloth (but I wouldn't use that to take off mascara)for the grittiness and the BHA exfoliation it provides. Rinse with clear warm water and it won't be as hard on your skin as a masque if the masque is too drying.

3. Jill Nystul says

Mrs. Robinson…you are welcome! I'm going to try it with you. :-)

Denise…as usual…such great info! Thank you for sharing! LOVE the idea of using it as an exfoliant as well as a mask! You are a gem. :-)

4. Vikki says

I've never heard of the aspirin but have been using lemon juice as a peel for years. I mix with a little milk and spread over my face and let dry. Between the fruit acid and the lactic acid it works quite well. Will have to try the aspirin thing and see if I can tell any difference

5. Anonymous says

I've just found your blog via Pinterest and really love it. You have some great tips! I'm most intrigued by the oil cleansing method. I really want to give it a try and am 95% sold. But reading and re-reading this latest post, I can't tell if you are still in love with it? Are you doing this mask in addition to? I've just seen a toner with lemon juice on another blog that seems interesting but I don't want to overwhelm my face. I'm 36 years old and have struggled with moderate acne all my life and it continues today. But my concerns are also turning to anti-aging and anti-wrinkle. Agh! I really get what "dull" skin is now. Is the OCM only good for acne prone skin? SO confused!! Any help or advise would be much appreciated! Thanks!

6. Anonymous says

Just a lil 411, Oz IS his last name (in response to "I guess you've made it when you don't have to use your last name"). I figured you'd be super thrilled and excited to know that. *wink*. Loving the blog, btw!!

7. Madison says

I have a quick question for you…or your daughter. I have always have trouble skin and bit of acne through high school and college, but now that I'm in my late 20's (and moved to a new, dry climate), my acne has, literally, errupted on my face and neck, just below the jawline. So, you use this 1-2 times a week in conjunction with the oils? I've literally tried everything at this point (other than accutane, of which I am terrified), so I'm curious to know if these two "home remedies" are the ticket!

Thanks! Loving this blog, and been Pinning the heck out it! =)

8. Andrea says

Like many others, I am interested in the results of your experience with the oil cleansing method. I have researched and there are conflicting comments. Any help you are able to provide would be most appreciated.

9. Casey says

I just tried this and let me tell you it stung when I first put it on, however the slight pain went away after a minute. Then after the 10 minutes and getting everything off my skin has never felt so smooth and clean. Thank you very much for posting this, keep up the good work.

10. Ash says

Ive got really dry skin, and i live in a very dry place, so before i try the Aspirin & Lemon Juice Face Mask, I just wanted to find out if it will dry my skin even more?

1. […] water and gradually add to the vegetables until thick enough. Stir and remove from heat. Serve.1 pkg. Veat nuggets (found in the freezer section) 2 Tbsp. thinly sliced ginger ½ C. sliced onions …sliced ginger, onions and celery. Saute until onions are translucent. Do not overcook the celery. […]